SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching adjustments for the Title shot

yababy8

Ok lets see here can you guys throw out any more Cliche's? This thread is a Monday version of Arm chair Quarterback.. Play Hard, move the puck quick up ice, convert on the PP, stay out of the box, Roll 4 lines, Get the puck deep and cycle it.. The list is never ending.. Of course you want to stay out of the box of course we want to score on the PP. But come on guys you could say this about any squirt team in town. Lets just leave the coaching to the REAL coaches, Unless Hakstol and company has contacted you for some of your coaching Philosophy.. I'm pretty sure Hakstol won't be telling Frattin " Go get a penalty this shift we really need to work on our PK" . Lets just let it go.. This is their team and will do as they see fit.. IF the boys execute their game plan the Sioux will be just fine.. Just my 2 cents..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is rolling four lines negated by all of the TV timeouts?

The TV timeouts help the lungs and make a little difference on the legs, these guys are great athletes, so they can skate all day. Four lines helps by limiting a little of the pounding you might otherwise take. It will make a difference on Sunday most certainly.

TV timeouts impact flow and momentum more than they have impact on the condition of the players.

I posted last week that Genoway was a defensive liabilty (tying goal Saturday night ring a bell he got caught again with his breezers down) and my post got taken down. Genoway is a plus 7 so with all his points he still has a plus 7? Means he has been on the ice when a lot of goals have been scored against UND. Simply take him off the blue line, since he does not play there too start with, and make him a forward and leave Marto on the blue line if they want to beat Denver. Genoway will be on the ice when Denver scores the winning goal. Will this be the next one taken down?

I think you are thinking about this from the wrong angle. Your post wasn't taken down because no one agrees with you or that you were way off base...its just that no one likes you. See? -makes sense when you think of it that way doesn't it?

• Upvote 1

I think you are thinking about this from the wrong angle. Your post wasn't taken down because no one agrees with you or that you were way off base...its just that no one likes you. See? -makes sense when you think of it that way doesn't it?

As to Chay being on the ice when a lot of goals are scored (responding to lomack who BNS responded to above). Chay had 32 points and 16 powerplay points. So, that leaves 16 even up points that impact +/-. It is impossible to back into the correct number, but a close approximation would mean that if he is +7 and scored 16 even strength points, then he was on the ice for 9 opponents' goals scored against on even strength. 9! 9! That is not a lot in 30ish games, he was on the ice for an even strength goal against every other weekend. The horror.

He is one of the most dynamic players in the league. I am glad he is our captain.

• Upvote 1

We can all agree that this years team has the talent to get it done. However, we have also had teams in the past under Hak that had the talent to get #8. My biggest concern at this time of year is the coaches having the team mentally prepared. I am hoping and praying that the seniors can step up and fill in the gap, and help the rest of the team keep their focus.

THIS IS YOUR TIME BOYS - GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SIOUX!!!

We can all agree that this years team has the talent to get it done. However, we have also had teams in the past under Hak that had the talent to get #8. My biggest concern at this time of year is the coaches having the team mentally prepared. I am hoping and praying that the seniors can step up and fill in the gap, and help the rest of the team keep their focus.

I think mental toughness is actually our biggest strength. This team is absolutely determined to hang No. 8.... Couple that with a loads of offensive firepower, tremendous depth a D and great goaltending this year, we are on a mission. I think their toughness showed in the way they battled last weekend at the Five. We were down in both games and we had to mentally fight through that. For large stretched of the DU game, we we're out played. Make whatever excuse you want (Gregoire out, shuffling of the lines, etc.) but in the end, this team wanted it more and went out and got it. The tenacity on this team and the ability to close out a game in a close spot is something I haven't seen from many of our talented teams in recent years. I am excited for our run to start this weekend.

As far as how we should play, I agree with goon, Saturday, get pucks deep and control the zone. RPI is fast but they don't have the talent we do throughout the line up to stay with us for 60 minutes. We play our game, sounds cliche, but we win. Sunday, if we are play well enough to get there, will be a different story. WMU plays a style much like UAA with some bruisers and plug plug plug play. We are far more athletic than them and should be able to use that advantage. DU is another story. This team is flat out good. But again, I think our tenacity and firepower will win out. We showed in the F5 Championship game that when we play our best, we beat Denver. If we get out of our game and get out worked, we could be sitting home for the Four.

I am so stoked for this weekend and I think this is the start to No. 8.... Play our game and we go to St. Paul, because frankly, we are the best team in the country when we do so

what does that mean -"mentally prepared" ......im sure that they all know that if you lose you go home! other than that what can hak tell them....maybe " c'mon guys lets get fired up" ....thats for youth hockey!!

it

what does that mean -"mentally prepared" ......im sure that they all know that if you lose you go home! other than that what can hak tell them....maybe " c'mon guys lets get fired up" ....thats for youth hockey!!

These young men seem really, really focused on a goal right now.

Almost scary focused.

Mentally prepared to me means not getting rattled at any point in a game whether you are up or down. Also, it's having the toughness to close out a game when you have your opponents on the ropes.... The Sioux have this quality

Focus on one particular aspect each shift:

Centers focus on winning draws, wingers establish a relentless forecheck, dmen get pucks deep...it's really a simple game. We do those things, we'll score some goals.

I agree with not getting too cute, as good as the Pony Express is, I've seen them get cutesy with the puck.

As to Chay being on the ice when a lot of goals are scored (responding to lomack who BNS responded to above). Chay had 32 points and 16 powerplay points. So, that leaves 16 even up points that impact +/-. It is impossible to back into the correct number, but a close approximation would mean that if he is +7 and scored 16 even strength points, then he was on the ice for 9 opponents' goals scored against on even strength. 9! 9! That is not a lot in 30ish games, he was on the ice for an even strength goal against every other weekend. The horror.

He is one of the most dynamic players in the league. I am glad he is our captain.

Not exactly.

He was on the ice and got a point 16 times at even strength.

He was on the ice and gave up a goal at least 9 times at even stength.

What we don't know is how many times UND scored at even strength while Chay was on the ice where he did not factor in the scoring (still gets a +1 for it).

If that happened, say 10 times then it would mean he was on the ice for 10 more goals against.

This also doesn't factor in shorthanded goals scored or allowed but I don't think that would make a big difference.

I do agree that Chay is one of the more dynamic players and I too am glad he is our captain.

Not exactly.

What we don't know is how many times UND scored at even strength while Chay was on the ice where he did not factor in the scoring (still gets a +1 for it).

If that happened, say 10 times then it would mean he was on the ice for 10 more goals against.

This also doesn't factor in shorthanded goals scored or allowed but I don't think that would make a big difference.

I do agree that Chay is one of the more dynamic players and I too am glad he is our captain.

That is why I said it is impossible to back into the number using points and caveated my calculation as an approximation. You are correct that there could be a bunch of offsets outside the score sheet. I counted 39 total goals against with #5 on the ice (all situations including pk where no +/- is awarded)

Not exactly.

theres a reason though that everbody on the ice gets a plus one or minus one.....without the first pass ...would the second and third have led to the goal?

Ok lets see here can you guys throw out any more Cliche's? This thread is a Monday version of Arm chair Quarterback.. Play Hard, move the puck quick up ice, convert on the PP, stay out of the box, Roll 4 lines, Get the puck deep and cycle it.. The list is never ending.. Of course you want to stay out of the box of course we want to score on the PP. But come on guys you could say this about any squirt team in town. Lets just leave the coaching to the REAL coaches, Unless Hakstol and company has contacted you for some of your coaching Philosophy.. I'm pretty sure Hakstol won't be telling Frattin " Go get a penalty this shift we really need to work on our PK" . Lets just let it go.. This is their team and will do as they see fit.. IF the boys execute their game plan the Sioux will be just fine.. Just my 2 cents..

As a former squirt coach, I can tell you that you would be doing a disservice to plenty of squirts with only these cliches. :D

GO SIOUX!

Genoway is an excellent defenseman. In four plus years how often have you seen someone take the puck around him, past him, or over him. He is excellent with his stick and he sticks with forwards as they come across the blue line forcing them outside or else poke checks the puck away. I think that is waht he is supposed to do. He doesn't knock them over but he knocks them off of their route and you don't see the opponents get good shots because he either poke checks the puck or ties up their sticks. He gets the job done as a defenseman but his offensive skills are so much better than most defensemen, we overlook the fact that he is an excellent blueliner. I think if you told coaches from around the league or scouts people here think he is a defensive liability they would laugh. Most coaches would take 6 of him in a minute. His smarts, speed. quickness and stick handling skills tht make him so good offensively are also what make him an excellent defenseman.

Genoway is an excellent defenseman. In four plus years how often have you seen someone take the puck around him, past him, or over him. He is excellent with his stick and he sticks with forwards as they come across the blue line forcing them outside or else poke checks the puck away. I think that is waht he is supposed to do. He doesn't knock them over but he knocks them off of their route and you don't see the opponents get good shots because he either poke checks the puck or ties up their sticks. He gets the job done as a defenseman but his offensive skills are so much better than most defensemen, we overlook the fact that he is an excellent blueliner. I think if you told coaches from around the league or scouts people here think he is a defensive liability they would laugh. Most coaches would take 6 of him in a minute. His smarts, speed. quickness and stick handling skills tht make him so good offensively are also what make him an excellent defenseman.

Yeah most coaches would take six of him, as a forward and not a D. If he is such a good D then why is he only a plus 7 with all his points?

• Downvote 1

as stated earlier 16 of his 32 points were on the power play!!

Genoway was a +5 in the SCUS series in Dec, +3 against Robert Morris, +4 against Mich Tech playoff, and +2 against UMD holiday game. This is a +14 in 7 games. This leaves him a -7 over the remaining 27 games he played. It is only stats.

• Upvote 1

Genoway was a +5 in the SCUS series in Dec, +3 against Robert Morris, +4 against Mich Tech playoff, and +2 against UMD holiday game. This is a +14 in 7 games. This leaves him a -7 over the remaining 27 games he played. It is only stats. He was also a +3 in the first game against Notre Dame which would leave him +17 in 8 games and -10 over remaining 26 games.

The coaching adjustment that I would like to see is that the Sioux not come out in thier first game in the regional flat and lose, same thing in the Frozen Four especially if they play BC? How many years in a row now have they come out flat and lost? At least five, I think. Why is it so hard for every game in the NCAA tourney? It has been so endlessly frustrating!