SiouxSports.com Forum

Rylan Kaip commits to the Sioux

choyt3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can get big as long as we keep our speed. Speed has set us apart from other schools during the Dean era.

We have enough small players, you can not win with a whole bunch of smallish speedy players, as seen in the past all the bigger slow teams do is clog up the middle, and start with the Clutch, grabbing and hooking ala SCCC. So that is why I assume we have gotten some monsters. I am not sure why some assume that bigger players can't skate fast. The logic is flawed. Guys like Jager of Washington are big strong guys that can skate fast.

Geez, we're bringing in this many players and only losing what 3 seniors. I don't think any underclassmen will be leaving. Could be interesting tryouts next year.

Isn't Lamerioux (sp?) coming in next year as well?

Were going to be loaded at Defense and the Sioux Defense are going to be huge. Maybe some will get red shirted or asked to play Jr one more year. Remember people leave, or can't adapt to the college game or sitting in the stands and may move on.

Were going to be loaded at Defense and the Sioux Defense are going to be huge. Maybe some will get red shirted or asked to play Jr one more year. Remember people leave, or can't adapt to the college game or sitting in the stands and may move on.

Well with bringing in more than are leaving (as of now), some guys are going to have to leave. I don't know the rules on redshirting in hockey, but I don't believe Dean has ever done it. I think they'd rather have you play USHL, but that is for younger guys.

Chorney is coming in 2005, which wasn't mentioned. I'm thinking the climate in the NHL is what is keeping Duncan. I think he is probably going to spend a year in juniors before coming to college unless he decides to go elsewhere. However, he may think it as pretty cool to play another year with Chorney before coming to play at UND with Chorney.

I don't know.

But as things are going right now, Zajac's linemate (that everyone talked about) will probably not come to UND next year if he decides to come to UND at all either.

Notice how I said KEEP our speed. We're big and fast now. I don't want those lumbering oofs that have to grab a player. Keep in mind that the 97 title was won by a "small" team.

Ever since the debacle against BC in the 1999 NCAA's the Sioux have been getting bigger and bigger each year. BC's defense stood the Sioux forwards up at the blue line the entire game as they kept trying to skate the puck into the BC zone instead of shooting it in and mucking it up in the corners... they didn't have the size to do it. You need to have a good combination of size and speed. The Sioux were able to get away with being small and fast in 1997 as Blake, D. Hoogsteen, and Jay Panzer showed the rest of the college hockey world what uncontained speed can do to you. The Sioux were pretty successful with their small fast team in 1998 & 1999 as well. But BC executed a great game plan to neutralize the Sioux's speed. After that I think Dean said to himself "never again".

It's "Chucko" and he made a visit during the Minnesota series. He still has a few places to look at.

Blais seems to be pretty good mixing size and speed. Unfortunately, early departures, injuries, poor performance, etc. can screw up the best recruiting plans. I tend to like bigger forwards in the Prpich-Stafford-Money class, to offset the smaller size of the Parise-Murray types. Makes for more line possibilities, and also creates problems for opposing squads.

Well with bringing in more than are leaving (as of now), some guys are going to have to leave.

Not true. It may be a bit of a logjam next season assuming everyone is back, however, after next season UND will lose the following who are currently juniors:

Bochenski

Brandt

Canady

Fuher

Fylling

Genoway

Jones

Massen

McMahon

Schneider

also after next season, they could possibly/likely lose:

Parise

Greene

That is a lot of players (and a lot of talent) that will be leaving the program after the 2004-05 season, if not earlier, and that is why UND needs to bring in a few more players next year than they graduate.

Ever since the debacle against BC in the 1999 NCAA's the Sioux have been getting bigger and bigger each year. BC's defense stood the Sioux forwards up at the blue line the entire game as they kept trying to skate the puck into the BC zone instead of shooting it in and mucking it up in the corners... they didn't have the size to do it. You need to have a good combination of size and speed. The Sioux were able to get away with being small and fast in 1997 as Blake, D. Hoogsteen, and Jay Panzer showed the rest of the college hockey world what uncontained speed can do to you. The Sioux were pretty successful with their small fast team in 1998 & 1999 as well. But BC executed a great game plan to neutralize the Sioux's speed. After that I think Dean said to himself "never again".

I was just saying that we won a title with a small team. I don't think we should go small, but we need speed. We've all seen the damage speed does. As for that BC game, if I remember correctly didn't BC "hug" us the whole game? If the rules were enforced by the refs, small teams could play and win in hockey. But the refs don't enforce the written rules, therefore, we have to have size.

Wonder why Duncan didn't sign?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that was the "early signing period". Which means players will still have a chance to sign.

The only way Duncan could play with Chorney another year before coming to UND, would be if Chorney left early to play juniors. Duncan is a senior and Chorney is a junior.

Hmm..what follows are just my guesses.

Scholarship money available for next year is probably quite limited (unless/until people give up eligibility to turn pro). The Sioux already have Lammy, Radke, Beaverson, Zajac, and Kaip coming in next year. We've heard that the Sioux are recruiting Duncan and that his father would love to see him at UND. A ton of scholarship money will open up within another year. Among the possibilities are that the Sioux: a) think he needs a year of juniors; b) would like him to come next year, but can't offer much money the first year; c) are waiting to hear from another player(s) first before making a final decision on an offer; d) Duncan is mulling over other offers.

The Herald has reported that the Sioux are also recruiting Kris Chucko, Zajac's linemate at Salmon Arm. Chucko is younger and was compared to Perry Berezan (highly skilled, went on to the NHL). Chucko is being recruited by the big guns in Hockey East. A UNH fan with the handle "NCAA Watcher" posted on USCHO that the Sioux are interested in Evan Rankin of the Lincoln Stars. Rankin was justed listed as an "A" prospect by NHL Central Scouting. Rick has mentioned that the Sioux are in the running for a skilled European. I wonder if this could be Slavakian forward Rastislav Spirko who is playing with Tri-City in the USHL via . According to POI, Spirko just made a visit to Minnesota.

There are a couple of '87 forwards in western Canada who are apparently wanted by everyone: Dan Bertram and Brock Bradford.

Anybody have any more names? Should be interesting to follow.

Kermit, good summay. I agree with and have seen most of what you posted. The Lincoln paper noted that Rankin just took an official visit to Michigan State. Also, the Michigan message board noted that Chucko was in for his visit last week. He attended a MI BB game with Ebbett and Tambellini (former BCHLers). If a BB game sways him, he might need help.

Kermit, good summay. I agree with and have seen most of what you posted. The Lincoln paper noted that Rankin just took an official visit to Michigan State. Also, the Michigan message board noted that Chucko was in for his visit last week. He attended a MI BB game with Ebbett and Tambellini (former BCHLers). If a BB game sways him, he might need help.

The BB game isn't going to sway him. But, what was the weather like when he visited Michigan?

How many scholarships is a team allowed to carry each year? I'm not so concerned about the Sioux this year & even the following year; but jimminy Christmas the 2005-06 season will mirror the 2001-02 season in terms of a ton of new freshmen playing. With probably the same results. It almost makes sense in a ruthlessly insincere sorta way to cut a couple of players after this year (underachievers with motivational problems or those having trouble keeping up talent-wise) in order to bring in additional freshmen next year--minimizing the drastic loss we'll see in '05-06'. I'm not endorsing this at all because I don't see them first-hand, but I wonder if the Sioux coaches are contemplating it. Any team losing 10 players is probably going to have a mediocre year & very likely not a championship year. It would be painful to watch another 2001-02 season when deep down you expect them to have at least an above avg. squad year in & year out...

It almost makes sense in a ruthlessly insincere sorta way to cut a couple of players after this year (underachievers with motivational problems or those having trouble keeping up talent-wise) in order to bring in additional freshmen next year--minimizing the drastic loss we'll see in '05-06'. I'm not endorsing this at all because I don't see them first-hand, but I wonder if the Sioux coaches are contemplating it.

I'm probably opening a can of worms here, by my opinion is that the long-term impact to future recruiting would be disasterous if this became common practice. If a kid on scholarship is working hard on the ice and in the classroom, I'm not sure what else you can ask for. In the case of Siembeda, I'm not close enough to the situation to know if his departure was strictly related to game night performance, of if there was more going on in the background that we don't know.