SiouxSports.com Forum

Rylan Kaip commits to the Sioux

choyt3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilcox, SK is where Athol Murray College of Notre Dame (home of the Hounds) resides.

Jeff and Jason's dad is a coach there, hence, it's their hometown. It appears to be Kaip's as well.

Weyburn was mentioned because of this: "Weyburn defenseman Greg Park has also taken advantage of the early signing period to join Providence for next season."

Sic is right. Wilcox is a very small town, that is little more Athol Murray (Notre Dame) itself, which has been home to some very good junior teams in the SJHL. The town is about 40 miles west of Weyburn (home of SJHL's red wings, and yes, Wes Dorey). Several of Athol Murray's younger teams (bantams) come across the line for tourneys in NWND.

Many great Sioux players have gone through Notre Dame, including the highly touted class in the early 80's that included James Patrick, Gord Sherven, Jim Archibald, Troy Murray??, and I'm forgetting a couple others. Curtis Joseph also played on the early 80's Notre DAme team (Wendal Clark also was there).

Most, if not all, of these players listed from Wilcox moved there to go to school and play hockey, and are actually from various areas across Canada and the US. Should mention that the academics at Notre Dame come first, as many a player has left or been suspended from the team for failure to keep up with their work.

Sic is right. Wilcox is a very small town, that is little more Athol Murray (Notre Dame) itself, which has been home to some very good junior teams in the SJHL. The town is about 40 miles west of Weyburn (home of SJHL's red wings, and yes, Wes Dorey). Several of Athol Murray's younger teams (bantams) come across the line for tourney's in NWND.

Many great Sioux players have gone through Notre Dame, including the highly touted class in the early 80's that included James Patrick, Gord Sherven, Jim Archibald, Troy Murray??, and I'm forgetting a couple others. Curtis Joseph also played on the early 80's Notre DAme team (Wendal Clark also was there).

Most, if not all, of these players listed from Wilcox moved there to go to school and play hockey, and are actually from various areas across Canada and the US.

wilcox is really a hole in the wall

Wes didn't necessarily do anything wrong in particular. What I think they're getting at would be his (in many people's eyes) disappointing numbers while at UND.

Wes came to UND as a MUCH-hyped recruit out of juniors in Weyburn after scoring approximately 180 points (counting regular season and playoffs) and being named SJHL MVP.

If I remember correctly, early in the fall of Dorey's freshman year (1997-98), Blais was predicting big things from a line of Dorey, Jason Blake and Lee Goren, who was also expected to have an immediate impact.

As it was, Wes didn't have that bad of a freshman year - 11 goals and 22 points in 33 games. But for whatever reason, he was in and out of Blais' doghouse the final three years and never was really to build on that solid rookie season. He spent a lot of the time either on the third or fourth line or as a healthy scratch.

It was too bad, really, because had pretty good skill and was feisty when he wanted to be. The difference between Wes and someone like Lee, from where I sit, was Lee got a chance to re-establish himself after his first year while Wes slowly became somewhat of an afterthought.

Not that any of this matters, because everyone has stuff go on in their life which can be have an adverse affect ..... but I had heard that Wes' mother passed away while he was at UND, or maybe something else which limited his summer off season and he came back in not the best shape ..... He has been one of my favorite players thru the years, regardless of "living" up to potential or not .... one of my best memories ever of Sioux hockey is his tying goal at the 19:23 mark in the 3rd period in the 2001 NC game against BC, for all the ups and downs of his career, in his final game as a Sioux Blais had him out there for the most important shift of that game.

Good point about that championship game.

It's true about his mother passing away; I believe that happened during the summer prior to his senior season.

I was always a fan as well and thought he never quite got a fair shake after his senior season, and who knows how differently his pro career would've turned out if things had gone differently while he was here.

Although I was already living here when he arrived as a freshman, I am from Saskatchewan and was still following the SJHL fairly closely at the time and he was as close to a household name around the region as any junior player could be. He got lots of ink and at the time was widely considered to be an NHL-calibre prospect.

I always pulled for Wes because he was a speedy high energy guy on the ice. My impression of him (remember this comes from someone who knows little about the game) was that he didn't adjust well to the college game. It seemed to me he often tried the fancy stickhandling that might have got him by in juniors but NEVER got him anywhere in D1. That, and Wes often got frustrated on the ice and took slashing type penalties at bad times.

Wes had a decent freshman year but I think really went downhill his sophomore year. I think he had a better junior year and respectable senior year IMO, but not to the level of expectations based on the hype about him as a recruit.

I do think in his sophomore year Wes may have been in the dog house but by the end of his junior year at least it seemed from my perspective that he was being counted on as a contributor, and not an afterthought.

Yes, Beaverson is in this class. He is not listed because he signed his letter of intent a year ago. Same as Lammy

So who is signed and not signed.

I assume

Beaverson,

Lammy

Radke

Kaip

Zajac

Anyone else beside no having one on Ducan yet.