SiouxSports.com Forum

Rylan Kaip commits to the Sioux

choyt3

I'm probably opening a can of worms here, by my opinion is that the long-term impact to future recruiting would be disasterous if this became common practice. If a kid on scholarship is working hard on the ice and in the classroom, I'm not sure what else you can ask for. In the case of Siembeda, I'm not close enough to the situation to know if his departure was strictly related to game night performance, of if there was more going on in the background that we don't know.

Thx for not overreacting to what I wrote. I don't wish any bad for a guy who's busting his butt & giving it a 100% each & every night he plays. But I do wonder how the Sioux are going to perform in a couple years after the mass exodus...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx for not overreacting to what I wrote. I don't wish any bad for a guy who's busting his butt & giving it a 100% each & every night he plays. But I do wonder how the Sioux are going to perform in a couple years after the mass exodus...

Sorry if the tone sounded like an overreaction. I know there are plenty of folks on this board that agree with your comments regarding cutting underachievers, etc. Hey, I'm all about accountability, it's how the real world works. I also think the accountability needs to work both ways.

Sorry if the tone sounded like an overreaction. I know there are plenty of folks on this board that agree with your comments regarding cutting underachievers, etc. Hey, I'm all about accountability, it's how the real world works. I also think the accountability needs to work both ways.

Seriously, b.s. aside, thank you for not overreacting! Anyone who is anti-Franken is a-ok in my book...

If the rules were enforced by the refs, small teams could play and win in hockey. But the refs don't enforce the written rules, therefore, we have to have size.

Thats the problem most of the time the refs in our league do not enforce the rules and you end up with MTU, MSU-M, SCCC... Brutal hockey, and guys getting penatlies for knocking an opposing player off them that is drapped all over them. So that throws that theory out of the water.

FWIW, I don't even know if it is true. But I heard Lou Nanne mention on the radio last week he expects Parise, Vanek and many college underclassmen to sign next summer due to it being the last time they will get a chance to sign under the old CBA.

That said, if there is no hockey being expected to be played, the teams will have less motivation to pay them.

I'm guessing coaches are betting on lots of departures, trying to bring in many kids on less than full scholarships, then giving out scholarship upgrades as available.

It's one thing if the player wants to sign under the current CBA, it's quite another if the club wants to sign them. I really can't imagine any clubs, especially well run clubs like the Devils, and cash strapped outfits like the Sabres, are going to add more payroll, especially for their first three round choices, if they aren't going to play the season and get some return on their investment. However, it is possible that they may sign, and get dumped immediately into the AHL. But that requires money going out the door too.

The higher round prospects may get kind of screwed on this. They only way they can break into the NHL outside of being a draft choice is to play MJ or Euro-league hockey for a year, and then try to make it back as a free agent. This may have some appeal for later round choices, especially guys like Money who may use a year in MJ to increase their skills, and their visibility to NHL clubs.