SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Regular Season Home Stretch

jimdahl

Here's what still seems possible to me (it's been years since I've tried doing this, so point out any mistakes):

<table style='width:400px'><tr><th>Team</th><th>Current Points</th><th>Conference Series Remaining</th><th>Possible Final Rankings</th></tr>

<tr><td class='hcell1'>UND</td>

<td class='hcell2'>32</td>

<td class='hcell3'>3</td>

<td class='hcell4'>1st-6th</td>

<tr><td class='notescell' colspan='4'><ul>

<li>Has secured home ice in WCHA playoffs</li>

<li>Can clinch T-5th with 1 point this weekend</li>

<li>Can clinch 5th with 2 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can clinch T-4th with 4 points this weekend</li>

</ul></td></tr>

<tr><td class='hcell1'>Denver</td>

<td class='hcell2'>31</td>

<td class='hcell4'>1st-6th</td>

<li>Has secured home ice in WCHA playoffs</li>

<li>Can clinch T-5th with 2 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can clinch 5th with 3 points this weekend</li>

</ul></td></tr>

<tr><td class='hcell1'>UMD</td>

<td class='hcell2'>30</td>

<td class='hcell4'>1st-7th</td>

<li>Can clinch 6th with 1 point this weekend</li>

<li>Can clinch T-5th with 3 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can clinch 5th with 4 points this weekend</li>

</ul></td></tr>

<tr><td class='hcell1'>Nebraska-Omaha</td>

<td class='hcell2'>30</td>

<td class='hcell4'>1st-7th</td>

<li>Can clinch 6th with 1 point this weekend</li>

<li>Can clinch T-5th with 3 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can clinch 5th with 4 points this weekend</li>

</ul></td></tr>

<tr><td class='hcell1'>UW</td>

<td class='hcell2'>24</td>

<td class='hcell4'>1st-11th</td>

<li>Can clinch 10th with 1 point this weekend</li>

<li>Can clinch 9th with 3 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can clinch T-8th with 4 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish 1st with fewer than 2 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish T-1st with fewer than 1 point this weekend</li>

</ul></td></tr>

<tr><td class='hcell1'>CC</td>

<td class='hcell2'>22</td>

<td class='hcell4'>1st-11th</td>

<li>Can clinch 10th with 3 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can clinch 9th with 4 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish 1st with fewer than 4 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish T-1st with fewer than 3 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish T-2nd with fewer than 2 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish T-3rd with fewer than 1 point this weekend</li>

</ul></td></tr>

<tr><td class='hcell1'>UMN</td>

<td class='hcell2'>21</td>

<td class='hcell4'>T1st-11th</td>

<li>Can clinch 10th with 4 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish T-1st with fewer than 4 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish T-2nd with fewer than 3 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish T-3rd with fewer than 2 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish T-4th with fewer than 1 point this weekend</li>

</ul></td></tr>

<tr><td class='hcell1'>AA</td>

<td class='hcell2'>20</td>

<td class='hcell3'>2</td>

<td class='hcell4'>5th-11th</td>

<li>Can no longer finish 5th with fewer than 2 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish T-5th with fewer than 1 point this weekend</li>

</ul></td></tr>

<tr><td class='hcell1'>SCSU</td>

<td class='hcell2'>19</td>

<td class='hcell4'>T3rd-11th</td>

<li>Can no longer finish T-3rd with fewer than 4 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish T-4th with fewer than 3 points this weekend</li>

</ul></td></tr>

<tr><td class='hcell1'>Mankato</td>

<td class='hcell2'>18</td>

<td class='hcell3'>2</td>

<li>Can no longer finish 5th with fewer than 4 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish T-5th with fewer than 3 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish 6th with fewer than 2 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish T-6th with fewer than 1 point this weekend</li>

</ul></td></tr>

<tr><td class='hcell1'>Bemidji State</td>

<td class='hcell2'>17</td>

<li>Can no longer finish 5th with fewer than 2 points this weekend</li>

<li>Can no longer finish 6th with fewer than 1 point this weekend</li>

</ul></td></tr>

<tr><td class='hcell1'>MTech</td>

<td class='hcell2'>4</td>

<td class='hcell4'>12th-12th</td>

<li>Can no longer earn home ice in WCHA playoffs</li>

</ul></td></tr>

</table>

As to what's actually likely, using the

What-If Calculator

If I give UND two sweeps and a split, the Sioux end with 42. With a sweep and two splits, 40.

Only Denver, Duluth, and UNO would then be within striking distance. BUT, UNO plays Denver and UMD, so there have to be some losses there. It's pretty easy to come up with a three-way tie at the top, (e.g. a scenario like this):

UND 28 40

UMD 28 40

Nebraska-Omaha 28 40

Denver 28 39

UW 28 32

CC 28 28

As to what's actually likely, using the

What-If Calculator

If I give UND two sweeps and a split, the Sioux end with 42. With a sweep and two splits, 40.

Only Denver, Duluth, and UNO would then be within striking distance. BUT, UNO plays Denver and UMD, so there have to be some losses there. It's pretty easy to come up with a three-way tie at the top, (e.g. a scenario like this):

UND 28 40

UMD 28 40

Nebraska-Omaha 28 40

Denver 28 39

UW 28 32

CC 28 28

How are tie-breakers determined?

That's my question too. I believe there would be a "shared conference champion" like they did with Big 10 Football this year. But the question is, who would get the #1 seed (and the luxury of playing Michigan Tech in the 1st round). Who gets the MacNaughton Cup at season's end?

I think this has happened before. Denver and CC tied and it might have been 1997 (? forgive me if I'm wrong here) when the Sioux and Gophers were co-champs.

Might be a good question for Brad Schlossman.

a) If two or more teams are tied, head-to-head competition during the regular (conference) season will be used to break the

tie.

b) If two or more teams are still tied after (a), the highest seed will go to the team with the most WCHA (conference) wins during

the regular season.

c) If two or more teams played a four-game series during the regular season and the teams have the same win-loss records for

those series and the same number of WCHA wins, the team having the least number of goals scored against it in the four-game series

shall have the higher rank. If two or more teams played a two-game series during the regular season procede to tie-breaker d).

d) If two or more teams are still tied after applying the provisions of (a), (b) and ©, the team having the greatest

• Upvote 1

To be honest, if the Sioux don't win the MacNaughton this year, it will be a bit disappointing. We have, hands down, the most talented team in the WCHA...even the country. Denver has over-achieved, but are still pretty good, so to lose to them would be a bit shocking. Duluth is a real good team, so losing to them wouldn't be as painful, but we are still the better team.

We just have to take care of business.

That's my question too. I believe there would be a "shared conference champion" like they did with Big 10 Football this year. But the question is, who would get the #1 seed (and the luxury of playing Michigan Tech in the 1st round). Who gets the MacNaughton Cup at season's end?

I think this has happened before. Denver and CC tied and it might have been 1997 (? forgive me if I'm wrong here) when the Sioux and Gophers were co-champs.

Might be a good question for Brad Schlossman.

I know that I have read on here before (Sicatoka?) about the Sioux and Gofers tying for the league in 1997 and it came down to the third tie-breaker (goals against between the two teams). The Sioux won the goals against by 1 (I believe) and got the higher seed for the WCHA home playoffs. The Sioux end up meeting the Gofers in the Final 5 title game as the higher seed and accordingly got the last line change. The Sioux won that game on a great play be Peter Armbrust coming off the bench in OT and picking up a deflected shot and putting it past Steve DeBus. As a result, the Sioux got a higher seed in the NCAA's and had to win only 1 game to get to the Frozen Four (beat Cornell 4-2). Minnesota ended up playing Michigan St (Gofs win) and then top seeded Michigan (Gofs lost) in Grand Rapids. So getting that higher seed in the WCHA definitely ended up being an advantage for the NCAAs. I apologize if I didn't capture all the details but it was14 years ago... :)

To be honest, if the Sioux don't win the MacNaughton this year, it will be a bit disappointing. We have, hands down, the most talented team in the WCHA...even the country. Denver has over-achieved, but are still pretty good, so to lose to them would be a bit shocking. Duluth is a real good team, so losing to them wouldn't be as painful, but we are still the better team.

I wouldn't worry about Duluth. Blah. I'm very depressed about the team right now. tUMD threw in the towel and now I'm like praying for 3rd place.

As things shape up right now I agree with you. The Sioux have their destiny in their own hands and an easier on paper schedule than their rivals for the top spot.

...The Sioux have their destiny in their own hands and an easier on paper schedule than their rivals for the top spot.

UND has one tough series left; Bemidji and Tech are 11th and 12th in the league for crying out loud.

Heck, Jan State is 9th.

There shouldn't be any question of the Sioux winning the league.

Meh, you'd feel the same way I did if your team had been freaking blown out by St. Cloud.

Could still happen ;)

Anyway, my real point in posting was just to confirm that Lefty is, of course, right on the tie-breakers for seeding. Note that there is no tie-breaker for the actual championship, both teams are champs. That question comes up every year... I'm starting a FAQ.

I know that I have read on here before (Sicatoka?) about the Sioux and Gofers tying for the league in 1997 and it came down to the third tie-breaker (goals against between the two teams). The Sioux won the goals against by 1 (I believe) and got the higher seed for the WCHA home playoffs. The Sioux end up meeting the Gofers in the Final 5 title game as the higher seed and accordingly got the last line change. The Sioux won that game on a great play be Peter Armbrust coming off the bench in OT and picking up a deflected shot and putting it past Steve DeBus. As a result, the Sioux got a higher seed in the NCAA's and had to win only 1 game to get to the Frozen Four (beat Cornell 4-2). Minnesota ended up playing Michigan St (Gofs win) and then top seeded Michigan (Gofs lost) in Grand Rapids. So getting that higher seed in the WCHA definitely ended up being an advantage for the NCAAs. I apologize if I didn't capture all the details but it was14 years ago... :)

Good memory there, Blackheart.

Let's take that "Never Say Die" attitude a bit further. In the first of those 4 regular season games, in November in Minneapolis, the Gophers had a 10-3 lead. The Sioux scored three goals in the last 2 minutes to make the final 10-6. Without those three "meaningless" goals, the Sioux lose the tiebreaker.

A great object lesson for the kids ... Never give up, don't ever give up.

• Upvote 1

Could still happen ;)

Anyway, my real point in posting was just to confirm that Lefty is, of course, right on the tie-breakers for seeding. Note that there is no tie-breaker for the actual championship, both teams are champs. That question comes up every year... I'm starting a FAQ.

I appreciate your attempt to lift my spirits, but really the only thing that will work is two big fat wins this weekend. Eek.

UND has one tough series left; Bemidji and Tech are 11th and 12th in the league for crying out loud.

Heck, Jan State is 9th.

There shouldn't be any question of the Sioux winning the league.

You nailed it...really couldn't have lined up any better for UND down the stretch. If UND doesn't win the Cup...FIRE HAK! ;):D

Good memory there, Blackheart.

Let's take that "Never Say Die" attitude a bit further. In the first of those 4 regular season games, in November in Minneapolis, the Gophers had a 10-3 lead. The Sioux scored three goals in the last 2 minutes to make the final 10-6. Without those three "meaningless" goals, the Sioux lose the tiebreaker.

A great object lesson for the kids ... Never give up, don't ever give up.

Thank you. That was exactly the type of detail I felt I left out...

Sioux Pride! Never dies, it multiplies!

• Upvote 1

To go back even further and put even more detail into this, in October 1996, the Rodents swept our Fighting Sioux in Minneapolis. The first game was a 3-2 final, the second game was a 10-6 blowout. On Saturday night (which was the same night of the now-defunct Sioux-Bison football tilt in the Fargodome), the Gophers held a 10-2 lead going into the third. The Sioux outscored the Gophers 4-0 in that period. At the time, it didn't look like much of anything, but it ended up giving us the #1 seed in the WCHA tournament. That helped us beat the Gophers in OT in the title game in the old St. Paul Civic Center and helped us get one of those first round byes in the West Regional, which helped us get to Milwaukee and the Frozen Four, where we won our 6th NCAA title. It's amazing how small, unforgotten details can have huge, unforseen impacts later on.

Looking at the final two weekends, if we sweep Bemidji at home and Tech on the road, we win the league no matter what anybody else does. Just get it done boys and we'll be celebrating with the Cup at home on Saturday, March 12th after sweeping our first round series against Michigan Tech. Then it's on to St. Paul to defend our Broadmoor Trophy and then onto the NCAAs to reclaim what we haven't had for 11 years. I love this time of year! GO SIOUX!!!

if we sweep and denver, omaha and duluth all lose as least once, would the Cup be presented after Sunday's game?

This would clinch at least a share of the Cup with Denver (I think Duluth and Omaha would be out of the running). But I don't want to have the Cup presented to us before we've cliniched it outright; it will encourage the boys to take the foot off of the gas pedal and I don't want that. In 1997, we clinched a share of the title with back-to-back shutout wins at home vs. Anchorage and McLeod presented the Cup to us on Saturday night. We then proceeded to get swept at Denver and had to share the Cup with the dirty Rodents. I think the odds of getting swept at Tech are very slim, but I've seen stranger things happen. Let's get it done first and celebrate second.

This would clinch at least a share of the Cup with Denver (I think Duluth and Omaha would be out of the running). But I don't want to have the Cup presented to us before we've cliniched it outright; it will encourage the boys to take the foot off of the gas pedal and I don't want that. In 1997, we clinched a share of the title with back-to-back shutout wins at home vs. Anchorage and McLeod presented the Cup to us on Saturday night. We then proceeded to get swept at Denver and had to share the Cup with the dirty Rodents. I think the odds of getting swept at Tech are very slim, but I've seen stranger things happen. Let's get it done first and celebrate second.

Although...if the outcomes would be the same as that season, I wouldn't mind sharing the cup. :lol: