SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

It is solid football I think. North Carolina has started to put together a decent program. I imagine like most schools down there, they do it with in-state talent.

UNC has been pumping out draft picks for a few years, and i believe they led the last two draft with number of picks, and might do it this year ago. Piles of talent there but they just can't get it together. Coaching seems to be a big issue.

Has anyone heard this name yet?

http://invergrovehei...rthern-illinois

Possibly joining Hazelett to officially accept a scholarship on National Signing Day is Darion Fletcher, an honorable mention All-State defensive back and receiver who is being recruited by a number of colleges, including Northern Iowa and North Dakota.

While all that’s left for Hazelett to do is sign his letter of intent, Fletcher still is in the thick of the recruiting process.

King said Fletcher continues to be recruited by FCS division schools while weighing offers fromNCAA Division II schools like Bemidji State and Minnesota-Crookston.

“He’s one of those bubble players,” King said. “Whether he goes to Division II or FBS, I’m confident he will find what fits for him.”

Fletcher excelled on both sides of the ball for the Spartans this past season, King said.

“He was a big player for us on offensive, when we were able to get him the ball,” he said. “He was our go-to guy once our players got into our system.”

But, it was on defense where Fletcher received his All-State accolades. Playing mostly cornerback, he recorded six interceptions.

“Everybody Darion,” said King. “He’s going to end up at a place that’s going to fit for him.”

Has anyone heard this name yet?

http://invergrovehei...rthern-illinois

King said Fletcher continues to be recruited by FCS division schools while weighing offers fromNCAA Division II schools like Bemidji State and Minnesota-Crookston.

There is a huge difference between UND/UNI and BSU/UMC. Who the hell would want to go to UMC? They win what 1 game a year. Yikes.

http://minnesota.sco...%2f1148209.html

Duke Anyanwu to visit the Gophers this weekend.

The only player visiting this weekend without a Minnesota offer, Blaine (Minn.) athlete Duke Anyanwu is hoping the Gopher coaches will give him good news.

“I'm probably looking forward to hearing if they're going to offer or not the most,”

If an offer is extended, there is little doubt Anyanwu will end up in the Maroon and Gold.

Would someone who has been through the FB recruiting process at UND provide some insight into what takes place during a typical weekend?

Do the recurits normally arrive on Friday (hopefully, the answer is yes so they were at last night's game)? If they arrive on Friday, I assume they depart on Sunday morning?

Often parents accompany their kids, do parents go to the hockey or BB games and sit with their kids or is it just the recruits hanging out with each other?

Is a current player assigned as a host to each recruit? If so, is that normally determined by where the recruit lives (a recruit from WI is hosted by a WI player). Is position a factor - I would guess that maybe specific position is not but a recruit who plays defense is likely hosted by a defensive player? Rather than players, the host certainly could be one of the coaches - I am sure they are very involved in the weekend's activities.

Obviously, a recruit gets a tour of campus, the Alerus, the Ralph & the Betty, FB offices and weightroom (unfortunately), meets with academic advisors - especially if they know what field they want to go in to. Are the tours individual or are the players together for all of this (other than the academic discussions)?

Where are the recruits normally taken for meals? I am sure it isn't fast food but how upscale do they go?

Regarding last night....

How much snow is on the ground up there? I know you are having your first real dose of winter right now (wonderful timing) but it looks like it will be fairly nice today and tomorrow - hopefully, weather will not be a detriment in a kid making up his mind about UND.

Anything else of note?

Your insight would be welcomed - thanks!

Would someone who has been through the FB recruiting process at UND provide some insight into what takes place during a typical weekend?

Do the recurits normally arrive on Friday (hopefully, the answer is yes so they were at last night's game)? If they arrive on Friday, I assume they depart on Sunday morning?

Often parents accompany their kids, do parents go to the hockey or BB games and sit with their kids or is it just the recruits hanging out with each other?

Is a current player assigned as a host to each recruit? If so, is that normally determined by where the recruit lives (a recruit from WI is hosted by a WI player). Is position a factor - I would guess that maybe specific position is not but a recruit who plays defense is likely hosted by a defensive player? Rather than players, the host certainly could be one of the coaches - I am sure they are very involved in the weekend's activities.

Obviously, a recruit gets a tour of campus, the Alerus, the Ralph & the Betty, FB offices and weightroom (unfortunately), meets with academic advisors - especially if they know what field they want to go in to. Are the tours individual or are the players together for all of this (other than the academic discussions)?

Where are the recruits normally taken for meals? I am sure it isn't fast food but how upscale do they go?

Regarding last night....

How much snow is on the ground up there? I know you are having your first real dose of winter right now (wonderful timing) but it looks like it will be fairly nice today and tomorrow - hopefully, weather will not be a detriment in a kid making up his mind about UND.

Anything else of note?

Your insight would be welcomed - thanks!

Alot depends on where the kid lives and where they are coming from. It also depends on whether or not the kid is playing a winter sport. Some kids come in on Friday evening and some kids come in on Saturdays. I would say most have their parents or a parent but not always. The kids would be assigned a player host and it might be someone they know or it may be based on their position or proposed college academic major. Coaches are usually assigned a geographic region to recruit and they continue to work with the kids and parents but often the position coach will also get time with them. Coaches and the coaches wives spend time with the parents and depending on the kid and the parents they may do things together as a family or the kids often will go with other recruits and player hosts after dinner. I don't know where they go for dinner anymore. Kids often will be housed in the dorm with other recruits or may stay at the hotel with their parents. During the visit they try and get an appointment with someone in their proposed filed of study and a tour of the campus and athletic facilities for the kids and parents. Tours would likely include the bookstore, the Ralph and Betty, the Alerus, the FB offices and weight room, dorms, student union library etc. When I worked for UND we coordinated the tours with Enrollment services and made sure the kids met with professors who were athltic fans if we could. They usually take them to BB or hockey games if one is scheduled. ( UND students aren't helping much. They don't support BB and they don't impress parents by yelling F the gophers at the hockey games but most parents and recruits understand the college atmosphere and the scholarship, academic and FB programs usually will outweigh those factors for those who don't care for that).

It appears that Sam Foltz is going to walk on at Nebraska. His profile now has him with high interest in Nebraska and no interest anywhere. Not sure if he'll still take the visit up here next weekend or not.

That will be an interesting one to follow. Kid appeared to have pretty good size and speed for a safety.