SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs UAA

AZSIOUX

My wife is due to have a baby boy the end of June. Those are words I never hope to hear.... :huh:

Although I was told that my hockey watching would become more limited once the baby comes.....hah! :lol:

She is three and a half so I told her in so many words that she might want to get used to hockey, I also told her I was going to be taking her to a Sioux women's game as well. It's on 24/7 when there are games on.

I hear ya there. I'd rather see Denver sweep goldy at Mariucci, but at the same time I think its likely that we see a split. I'd love to see Minnesota start on the road in the postseason and get a low seed at the Final Five to the point where they would have to win the darn thing to get into the tournament.

Nothing like having the Frozen Four in your backyard, and you don't even get the opportunity to play in the tournament.

After watching DU this weekend, they should sweep the Gofs...also, if the Gofs go on the road for the WCHA playoffs, they might make it 2 years in a row without a F5 appearance...can you imagine if they had to travel to UAA for the best of three round? There would be much wailing and gnashing of oversized front teeth in Gooferville...:)

After watching DU this weekend, they should sweep the Gofs...also, if the Gofs go on the road for the WCHA playoffs, they might make it 2 years in a row without a F5 appearance...can you imagine if they had to travel to UAA for the best of three round? There would be much wailing and gnashing of oversized front teeth in Gooferville...:)

I think the Pioneers will breeze through the Gophers with relative ease. :lol:

My wife is due to have a baby boy the end of June. Those are words I never hope to hear.... :huh:

Although I was told that my hockey watching would become more limited once the baby comes.....hah! :lol:

I found that when the kids are there I watch differently. Don't notice how the coach is changing things up as much during the game.

my two year old boy has become a sioux hockey addict, it is all he wants to watch and play sioux hockey. he refuses to watch mickey mouse instead he wants to watch the sioux. my wife says he is worse than me, he makes his dad proud :) and he's only been to two games.

We need to win, but we'll get AA's best game and the trap has made us look ugly in the past.

Yes we will get AA's best game. Because I am short memoried, and not very smart,

and for the benefit of a few others here, please give me a quick refresher on how "The Trap"

works so I can watch for it in play.

My Gleason pick in a 1-0 game will probably have me winning that contest first game out.

Folks, you had better load up on Gleason.

Yes we will get AA's best game. Because I am short memoried, and not very smart,

and for the benefit of a few others here, please give me a quick refresher on how "The Trap"

My Gleason pick in a 1-0 game will probably have me winning that contest first game out.

There are a couple trap styles. You'll notice it most by watching the forecheck and specifically the left winger. Trap styles are usually described in terms of the forecheckers, i.e. a 2-1-2 is not a trap and is most common, a 2-3 or 1-2-2 is a trap. The numbers identify the number of skaters, and the order is offensive zone, neutral zone or defensive zone.

If you see one forechecker, look at the neutral zone. If there are two defensive forwards just on the offensive side of the redline and the 2 dmen are sitting on the defensive blue line that is the neutral zone trap. The forechecker clogs up the middle of the rink and forces the play up the side boards, thus eliminating good passing lanes and clogging up the neutral zone with bodies. This usually is employed against a team breaking out of their own end.

If you see two forecheckers forcing the play up the right side of the ice/side boards, look back into the neutral zone to see if there are 3 defensive players lined up. If so, the guy on the left is probably the left winger and they are employing another trap known as the left-wing lock. This can happen on any change of possession, but mostly is used after an offensive zone turnover.

• Upvote 2

There are a couple trap styles. You'll notice it most by watching the forecheck and specifically the left winger. Trap styles are usually described in terms of the forecheckers, i.e. a 2-1-2 is not a trap and is most common, a 2-3 or 1-2-2 is a trap. The numbers identify the number of skaters, and the order is offensive zone, neutral zone or defensive zone.

If you see one forechecker, look at the neutral zone. If there are two defensive forwards just on the offensive side of the redline and the 2 dmen are sitting on the defensive blue line that is the neutral zone trap. The forechecker clogs up the middle of the rink and forces the play up the side boards, thus eliminating good passing lanes and clogging up the neutral zone with bodies. This usually is employed against a team breaking out of their own end.

If you see two forecheckers forcing the play up the right side of the ice/side boards, look back into the neutral zone to see if there are 3 defensive players lined up. If so, the guy on the left is probably the left winger and they are employing another trap known as the left-wing lock. This can happen on any change of possession, but mostly is used after an offensive zone turnover.

Against the Gophers after the got the 1-0 lead they actually colasped around the goaltender making it hard to get inside the slot as well. Kind of remined me of Cornell. Very boring hockey to watch.

my two year old boy has become a sioux hockey addict, it is all he wants to watch and play sioux hockey. he refuses to watch mickey mouse instead he wants to watch the sioux. my wife says he is worse than me, he makes his dad proud :) and he's only been to two games.

This is my goal. My wife tells me that we'll let the kid choose whether he'll watch cartoons or sioux hockey, but I'm thinking when she isn't around we'll be putting hockey on every chance we get. Or we'll make it into a positive reinforcement activity. When sioux hockey is on, treats galore.....cartoons.... pickle juice..... :blush:

When I was a young kid I would cry when the TV was turned away from hockey. My dad always called me his favorite kid because of that! :lol:

Sneaky pick. Sly like a fox....

Thanks for this. This board could use more of this kind of thing.

The way I understand it is that it's a zone defense through the neutral zone. When they're doing it they really plug it up in there.

I really don't understand the pro's and cons of the different schemes.

I guess when you notice we seem to have trouble getting through the neutral zone you should look for the things Yzerman pointed out.

The way I understand it is that it's a zone defense through the neutral zone. When they're doing it they really plug it up in there.

I really don't understand the pro's and cons of the different schemes.

correct, in the neutral zone trap you are responsible for an area of the ice, not a player.

Pros and cons are: You are almost never going to get an odd-man rush, but you will never give up an odd-man rush. You will have few scoring chances, but if you can force a couple off of turnovers, they should be really good looks. The opponent should never come through the neutral zone with numbers and speed...

correct, in the neutral zone trap you are responsible for an area of the ice, not a player.

Pros and cons are: You are almost never going to get an odd-man rush, but you will never give up an odd-man rush. You will have few scoring chances, but if you can force a couple off of turnovers, they should be really good looks. The opponent should never come through the neutral zone with numbers and speed...

it also helps hide a teams lack of speed and skill players

the sioux use a similar style at times....they run a zone forecheck where all three forwards are no deeper than the hashmarks in the offensive zone....and back out as the opposing team starts to breakout ...same concept ...plug up the neutral zone ...looking for a turnover

the sioux use a similar style at times....they run a zone forecheck where all three forwards are no deeper than the hashmarks in the offensive zone....and back out as the opposing team starts to breakout ...same concept ...plug up the neutral zone ...looking for a turnover

I have seen UND use it quite a bit when they get a lead.

I have seen UND use it quite a bit when they get a lead.

I hate when teams do this type of style, especially with a one goal lead. Often times we blow the lead. Not so much this year, as we've done a nice job in close games holding onto leads, for the most part.

I'm not foreseeing a friday "slump" this week I really think we'll come out and have a real solid win 5-1 or 4-1 win, saturday on the other hand.... For the first time that I can recall I am saying anything less than 4 points is unacceptable this weekend. if we don't get for points this weekend I don't seeing us finishing first. and can somebody shut that UAA blogger up, is all he can do this week is take shots at the state of North Dakota and its residents?

Loving the talk about the forechecks and the neutral zone play for the sioux.... :blush:

I think that most successful teams do forecheck and play tough in the neutral zone. I don't think it's a bad thing...

Edited by Goon