SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire head coach Dave Hakstol

Goon

Get out the pitch forks and rakes  

143 members have voted

1. 1. If Hakstol's team doesn't win a national title should he be fired.

• Yes
    • No

Seriously... siouxsports.com despises the use of, or promotion of people smoking meth. And anyone crying about Dave Hakstol and his need of firing, is smoking or is high on meth. It continues to amaze me watching this site, just how many "fans" can hide behind a computer and call the shots. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum.. however, those of you who aren't or make insane comments...are you coaches? Have you applied for a coaching job recently? Half of you probably don't play hockey and have never laced up a skate. It's like saying your a hardcore fisherman when you go once a year with a mickey pole. Some of you sound like you should go cheer for the maroon and gold team down south.. ridiculous.. conlcudes rant

• Upvote 1

My whole point to that was some of the winning est coaches of all time in college hockey took several years to win at their respective schools. Of course I didn't use EVERY example of each coach. The point was to have patience with Hak and Co. thats it. No need to nit pick the numbers.

I'm well aware that York has won at Bowling Green as well as 3 in BC. I also didn't mention Lucia, who won it in his 3rd year if I'm not mistaken. Surprised no one used that example. :)

• Upvote 1

My whole point to that was some of the winning est coaches of all time in college hockey took several years to win at their respective schools. Of course I didn't use EVERY example of each coach. The point was to have patience with Hak and Co. thats it. No need to nit pick the numbers.

I'm well aware that York has won at Bowling Green as well as 3 in BC. I also didn't mention Lucia, who won it in his 3rd year if I'm not mistaken. Surprised no one used that example. :)

Lucia won in his 3rd year at Minnesota. But he had 2 coaching stops before that, including 6 very good years at Colorado College. At CC he was in the national tournament 5 out of the 6 years, Frozen Four twice and finished 2nd one of those years. The year he didn't make the national tournament was his first at CC, he only won the WCHA that year but didn't make the tournament.

Lucia won in his 3rd year at Minnesota. But he had 2 coaching stops before that, including 6 very good years at Colorado College. At CC he was in the national tournament 5 out of the 6 years, Frozen Four twice and finished 2nd one of those years. The year he didn't make the national tournament was his first at CC, he only won the WCHA that year but didn't make the tournament.

Yeah, I know. Whats your point? I was talking about when the coaches took over the programs. Not going through every season they've ever coached.

You also have to remember college hockey is very different from the Blais/Gasparini days.

1) Neither won a title in a 16 team NCAA Tournament format.

2) Parity is MUCH greater in college hockey today. Anyone can beat anybody on any given day in today's college hockey world...especially in a one-and-done tournament.

3) Recruiting is much different today than it was under Blais/Gasparini. With our immaculate facilities, we've garnered some great recruits. But, great recruits are typically much younger, opposed to the more seasoned kids that won us many titles. Also, these younger, yet more skilled, kids tend to leave early, disrupting the roster frequently. Notice how Blais never won a title in the NEW Ralph, only in the old one, with a much different style of roster? Blais even had Parise/Bochenski/Murray.

Hak has done incredible in his time here, and has won everything but a National Championship. If you give him some time, he will do it. You have to remember, our cold streak of no titles is 10 (going on 11) years...however, this streak started with four years of Blais not winning a title after the 2000 championship.

I have been reading these comments to fire Hak with amusement. It seems that many fans wish to go back to the days of Rube Bjorkman where the goal was to reach .500 let alone worry about being competitive.

• Downvote 1

Hakstol in my mind only has one thing to prove:

Can he beat ... Jerry York.

York's teams seem to have the formula to beat Hak's teams. It looks like Yale (last year) and Maine (this year twice) found Jerry's formula.

That to me is the only thing Dave Hakstol needs to figure out. Once he can figure out how to play and win a non-WCHA style, eastern-speed style of game, he'll be just fine.

I have been reading these comments to fire Hak with amusement. It seems that many fans wish to go back to the days of Rube Bjorkman where the goal was to reach .500 let alone worry about being competitive.

Though some prefer the Woog analogy, I always think of Denny Green and the Vikings. I was certainly among those calling for his head. Sure, he was bringing home 10 win seasons and making the playoffs every year, but he was never making it to the Superbowl. Green must just not be good at preparing them for the big games, I thought. Surely another coach could take this talented a team and get better results.

That may have been true, Green may simply have been incapable of translating regular season success to playoff success, I really don't know. But, I did spend the next decade missing 10-win seasons and annual playoff appearances.

York's teams seem to have the formula to beat Hak's teams. It looks like Yale (last year) and Maine (this year twice) found Jerry's formula.

That to me is the only thing Dave Hakstol needs to figure out. Once he can figure out how to play and win a non-WCHA style, eastern-speed style of game, he'll be just fine.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I actually went into the game in Denver excited to see B.C., thinking surely UND would have them figured out. The loss to Denver in Columbus was just a bummer, but every loss since then has been sort of playing the same team.

You also have to remember college hockey is very different from the Blais/Gasparini days.

1) Neither won a title in a 16 team NCAA Tournament format.

2) Parity is MUCH greater in college hockey today. Anyone can beat anybody on any given day in today's college hockey world...especially in a one-and-done tournament.

3) Recruiting is much different today than it was under Blais/Gasparini. With our immaculate facilities, we've garnered some great recruits. But, great recruits are typically much younger, opposed to the more seasoned kids that won us many titles. Also, these younger, yet more skilled, kids tend to leave early, disrupting the roster frequently. Notice how Blais never won a title in the NEW Ralph, only in the old one, with a much different style of roster? Blais even had Parise/Bochenski/Murray.

Hak has done incredible in his time here, and has won everything but a National Championship. If you give him some time, he will do it. You have to remember, our cold streak of no titles is 10 (going on 11) years...however, this streak started with four years of Blais not winning a title after the 2000 championship.

To add a couple more...

Didn't teams get home games in the national tourney during Gino's era?

Blais couldn't win the big one with his best teams (IMO '99 & '04). Sure, he got the'97 & '00 teams to overachieve, as well as the '01team; but he obviously couldn't handle the pressure of being favored! :lol:

I still wonder what would've happened if BU hadn't upset Michigan in '97 Frozen Four. There's a bit of luck to throw into one of those title runs.

Dave Hakstol's resume:

1989-92 University of North Dakota player

1992-94 Indianapolis Ice (IHL) player

1994-96 Manitoba Moose (IHL) player

1996 Manitoba Moose (IHL) - assistant coach

1998 Central District Team (USA) National Select 16 Festival - head coach

1998 USA/USHL Team IIHF Four Nations Cup - head coach

1996-2000 Sioux City (USHL) - general manager and head coach

2000-2004 University of North Dakota - associate head coach

2004-present University of North Dakota - head coach

Steve Johnson's Resume:

Coaching [notes]

Season Team Lge Type GP W L T OTL Pct Result

1995-96 Fargo-Moorhead Bears USHL Head 46 27 17 1 1 0.609

1996-97 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 54 40 13 0 1 0.750

1997-98 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 56 38 17 0 1 0.688

1998-99 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 56 29 20 0 7 0.580

1999-00 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 58 41 16 0 1 0.716

2000-01 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 56 43 7 0 6 0.821

2001-02 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 61 43 15 0 3 0.730

2002-03 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 60 37 14 0 9 0.692

2003-04 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 60 27 29 0 4 0.483

2004-05 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 60 37 17 0 6 0.667

2005-06 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 60 34 20 0 6 0.617

2009-10 Fargo Force USHL Head 60 37 17 0 6 0.667

Which equates to more head coaching experience than Hak had to start with at UND.

Did he not beat Jerry York in the 2005 regional in Worcester? Pretty sure the Sioux beat both Bwastun teams at home that year, before losing to DU in the final at the FF.

But yes, since then, York and Co. have owned the Fighting Sioux.

I was not in the gf area at the time, but were people calling for Blais' head after the 2001-2002 season when we didn't even make the tournament? or were people just well that's will just happen from time to time?

Go to page 357 of the hockey forum & you will be in the middle of that season.

Nothings changed but the names of the posters, although a lot a long (old) timers are still here.

Agreed. And that is the difference between being a great system/program coach (which Hak definitely is) and being a great game coach. Hak is very good at that too, but he will probably have to be able to adapt to the eastern speed game enough to beat whoever is there at the FF (and BC will probably be among them) to prove the point.

I like him at UND and am proud of his record.

Agreed. And that is the difference between being a great system/program coach (which Hak definitely is) and being a great game coach. Hak is very good at that too, but he will probably have to be able to adapt to the eastern speed game enough to beat whoever is there at the FF (and BC will probably be among them) to prove the point.

I like him at UND and am proud of his record.

Agree with all of the above post. This thread is a joke as well. I've been critical of some of Hak's coaching moves, game decisions, ect... But he has this program relevent year in and year out. He, and his staff, are great recruiters...talent is top notch consistantly. I do agree with there being a difference as being a great "game" coach. Hak believes in his system and it produces results, but his system doesn't seem to fit as well outside of WCHA play. There is a reason Big Ten men's BB teams don't typically do well in the "big dance" because they are built for the grind of Big Ten regular season. To an extent, Hak's teams are built the same...to win the WCHA.

All I know is my daughter and I traveled to Denver to the Frozen 4 a couple years back with arguably one of UND's most talented teams ever, only to have her look at me 10 minutes into the semi game vs. BC and ask..."What's going on?" Hak finding an answer to that question maybe gets UND a NC soon.

• Upvote 1

This topic is riduculous. I wish we could lock it and get rid of it so I don't have to keep seeing it on the front page. Start one after the season if you want....I would rather focus on the remaining 10 regular season games, and the playoff run.

GO SIOUX!

• Upvote 1

Steve Johnson's Resume:

Coaching [notes]

Season Team Lge Type GP W L T OTL Pct Result

1995-96 Fargo-Moorhead Bears USHL Head 46 27 17 1 1 0.609

1996-97 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 54 40 13 0 1 0.750

1997-98 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 56 38 17 0 1 0.688

1998-99 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 56 29 20 0 7 0.580

1999-00 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 58 41 16 0 1 0.716

2000-01 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 56 43 7 0 6 0.821

2001-02 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 61 43 15 0 3 0.730

2002-03 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 60 37 14 0 9 0.692

2003-04 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 60 27 29 0 4 0.483

2004-05 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 60 37 17 0 6 0.667

2005-06 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 60 34 20 0 6 0.617

2009-10 Fargo Force USHL Head 60 37 17 0 6 0.667

Which equates to more head coaching experience than Hak had to start with at UND.

Does it? Check your math again. Hak has more HC experience to date by several years. Hak started coaching in 1996, Johnson in 1995. All of Johnson experience prior to this year was in the USHL, Hak had GM/HC responsibilities in the USHL and then 4 years at UND. He had a hand in recruiting Parise, Bochenski, Greene, etc etc. I'll take Hak all day over Johnson who had no experience recruiting or HC experience at the college level. I'm sorry but 9 season in the USHL does not equal 4 seasons in the USHL and 4 seasons as an associate HC at UND.

Hak had a far better resume in 2004 than Johnson.

Does it? Check your math again. Hak has more HC experience to date by several years. Hak started coaching in 1996, Johnson in 1995. All of Johnson experience prior to this year was in the USHL, Hak had GM/HC responsibilities in the USHL and then 4 years at UND. He had a hand in recruiting Parise, Bochenski, Greene, etc etc. I'll take Hak all day over Johnson who had no experience recruiting or HC experience at the college level. I'm sorry but 9 season in the USHL does not equal 4 seasons in the USHL and 4 seasons as an associate HC at UND.

Time for a change, it'll come.

Hak was essentially hand picked by Blais to be his successor and things have turned out pretty well. We are the only to team in the WCHA to make the NCAA tournament every year since Hak took over(in fact I think us and Michigan are the only two nationally to make it every year since Hak took over), obviously there were some bad frozen four appearances(2006 and 2008) and in 2005 and 2006 with a little luck we would have a NC to brag about.

The problem that UND has had in the past, in my humble opinion, is that they fall behind during the season. This makes them have to play with a "playoff" mind set the second half of the year. This is extremely tiring for a team. By the time they make it in, they are running on empty. It is a delicate balance. You do not want to throw games (ala Indianapolis Colts), but you do not want to get there gassed.

This year is different...they remind me of Boston U from a couple of years ago...they rode high the whole season, a few hickups here and there, but overall at a very high level. This team shows that.

No roller coaster for them (I hope). I honestly see them taking the whole thing this year. The Fighting Sioux Name will go out with a bang...!