SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs UNO

AZSIOUX

Blais will get plenty of love this weekend. He is still the revered coach that took the team to two national championships.

Three Scenerios: And the reaction that we'll see with each

~Mavs Sweep: BLAIS IS SUCH AN AWESOME COACH!!!! WE WANT HIM BACK!

~Split: Blais doesn't get swept on the road, he's too good of a coach!

~Sioux Sweep: Blais is doing good things in Omaha, they aren't where we at yet, but we wish them well because the sioux go their four points!

Absolutely. I double agree with the "Mavs sweep" scenario.

How have we taken our program to the next level?

Granted we haven't won the title in 2000. But our program is a top 3 program in the country. Basically every top recruit in the US has our eye on our program. We really haven't had a tough year since I believe it was '03. Every year top recruiting classes coming in and we haven't had a down year. The coaches know how to recruit and know how to recruit the RIGHT players for our program. Look at the way players stick around, that culture wasn't always here nor is it common especially in college hockey.

I'm not satisfied with no championship each year, but I'm not blaming the coaches in a one and done situation. IMO the program is as strong as its ever been, if not more than in 2000 and 2001. Blais started rebuild something great and Hak and Co have solidified our program for YEARS to come.

Trupp has been awesome this homestand. I can't believe how fearless he is for a guy his size to play along the boards.

Mr. Trupp is the epitome of Fighting Sioux hockey. He never stops trying to make a play with the puck. On one knee, on his belly, flying through the air...his head is turning and hands are moving toward the puck.

He is just flat-out tenacious, and I have really enjoyed watching him play the past few years.

His OT game winner against UM is one of my all time favorite Sioux goals.

I think LaPoint has been as solid defensively as anyone this year. He's really gotten better with his footwork and breakout passes, and the best part is he knows the perfect times to jump into a play without being too aggressive. He doesn't have the hardest or most accurate shot, but he's created some nice chances offensively, and like I said before, has held his own quite nicely defensively. If anything, I think Marto has been a disappointment at defense while back there. He's been a bit sloppy at times, and wasn't creating much offensively for a guy with as much skill as him while playing the defensive position.

I don't think you'll see Hak sit LaPoint.

LaPoint is +8, tied with Gennoway for 2nd in plus Minus for defensemen. Ben Blood leads the team at +16.

Plus/Minus is a very good indication of play by a defenseman, especially for a defensive minded defenseman like LaPoint.

Notable leaders in plus/minus are the Pony Express line. Trupp 12, Malone and Frattin 11.

Brett Hextall and Corban Knight are plus 8.

http://www.fightingsioux.com/fls/13500/stats/mhockey/2010-11/teamcume.htm#TEAM.IND

Agreed....hurts my heart to have LaPoint sit during his senior season, but its about putting the best team on the ice, and locking up home ice, and getting a bye at the F5.

so we're 176-2, sitting as the number two team in the pairwise and lapoint has started I beleive all but one game which was athe sat night in maine-has played pretty well and people want to sit him? I don't get it. I remeber two years when he went down injured he was one of our best on the pk and after he got hurt our pk sucked the rest of the year. let's give the guy some credit. he isn't the most skilled or talented d-man we have but he is pretty reliable and doesn't do stupid things as some of our other d-man can be prone to do with the puck or penalties.

I don't care who's out there at this point - it's great to have so many options, and to be able to root when Cichy, Davidson, Gleason, etc. get a chance. But since we're on the subject...I like LaPoint, but he has seriously been fighting the puck lately. I don't know how many times over the past couple weekends he's just completely lost track of the puck, coughed it up with no pressure and otherwise looked completely out of synch. These have been glaringly obvious to me and I can't help but notice them every game now. I'm not calling to bench him...Hak will put whoever he thinks are playing best out there...but it's made me seriously wonder if he suffered some type of injury or is otherwise not in good game-shape. Maybe he just misses Marto...:silly:

I've never been critical of him before, but he's just been plain-out odd and disjointed out there since the break. It always concerns me when a defensive defenceman is catching my attention every game, because it's usually not for some flashy move they just made....:blush:

And onto the sweeeeeeeeep!!!

If any of the D need to get their act together, I'm sorry but I'll say Forbort. Last weekend, if they would have moved Marto back to D, I was in favor of Forbort sitting in the stands on Saturday night. Like him a lot, but he just... I don't know... was not real impressed with his play lately. (that's the nicest way I could put it).

If any of the D need to get their act together, I'm sorry but I'll say Forbort. Last weekend, if they would have moved Marto back to D, I was in favor of Forbort sitting in the stands on Saturday night. Like him a lot, but he just... I don't know... was not real impressed with his play lately. (that's the nicest way I could put it).

I am not defending Forbort but what about his play in the last few weeks has caused you concern? Sometimes we just need to remember that some of these kids are just 17 or 18 and right out of high school. I think you can tell physically Forbort and Nelson just need to put some muscle on. They both will be very good for the Sioux in the future.

Anyone think about this?

UNO is in the middle of a horrible slump. The once #4 ranked team in the nation is desperately looking for a spark to keep their post season hopes alive.

Also they are coming to the house of the most physical team in college hockey. With UNO having a non-conference series next weekend, and a team full of

big, fast, strong players, I'm calling 2 very physical games. they won't be worried about losing a player for fighting. They are going to bring it and bring it hard.

We cant let any team come to our house and push us around. We better be ready. Btw this is my first ever post so be gentle.

I am not defending Forbort but what about his play in the last few weeks has caused you concern? Sometimes we just need to remember that some of these kids are just 17 or 18 and right out of high school. I think you can tell physically Forbort and Nelson just need to put some muscle on. They both will be very good for the Sioux in the future.

This isn't a season where we need to grow our newcomers to the team. This is a season where we have all the key ingredients to win a title, so if it means sitting a guy like Forbort, so be it. I'm not implying that I agree that Forbort has or hasn't struggled, I'm just pointing out what I feel when it comes to benching someone like Forbort or Nelson.

One of the advantages of having quality depth is that you can give a player a night or 2 off if they are struggling. It also helps keep people fresher. Forbert has played a lot of games over the last few weeks, maybe a night or 2 off would help him out. It would also get someone else some needed playing time.