SiouxSports.com Forum

Bill to ban alcohol sales at college sporting events

dmksioux

Who are these idiots???? It will not pass. The ralph better do some lobbying.

If I understand it correctly, it would also apply to tailgating lots. I can't imagine the Alerus would be too excited about what this could do to the tailgating scene...

A person may not possess or sell an alcoholic beverage in the presence of a minor at a

public or nonpublic institution of higher education sporting event of student athletes, whether on

the real property under contiguous ownership or control as the location of the sporting event or

on the real property of the institution contiguous to that location. The contiguity of property is not

broken due to a highway or other transportation corridor. A violation of this section is a class B

misdemeanor.

If I understand it correctly, it would also apply to tailgating lots. I can't imagine the Alerus would be too excited about what this could do to the tailgating scene...

Weird they are going after "nonpublic" insitutions as well- that will never fly.

I just skimmed it but it looks like booze might be ok in areas not accessible to minors (ex 21+ tailgating lots, sectioned off bars etc?)

Time to call our representatives.

I couldn't get the pdf to load to see who the dufies are that would A) draft the bill and B) sponsor it. If they're in my district, names on petitions need to be gathered to have a recall election (maybe state representative and senators aren't accountable to recall elections.

Who elected the fun police?

I couldn't get the pdf to load to see who the dufies are that would A) draft the bill and B) sponsor it. If they're in my district, names on petitions need to be gathered to have a recall election (maybe state representative and senators aren't accountable to recall elections.

The sponsors of the bill are Representatives Damschen, Bellew and Senator Erbele.

If they think this will make college kids safer, ha. If it was me and my buddies in college and this law was already enacted, we would get twice as drunk before-hand to hold us over for the whole game (plus sneaking more booze in...not like it's hard). Instead, we'd get moderately toasty, go have a pre-game big Fat Tire, and call it good for the rest of the game.

So, what option is better? Getting more drunk before hand and sneaking in liquor anyways (which makes things even worse because liquor, of course, gets you drunk faster)? Or, keeping things the way they are where very few problems occur the way it is?

If they think this will make college kids safer, ha. If it was me and my buddies in college and this law was already enacted, we would get twice as drunk before-hand to hold us over for the whole game (plus sneaking more booze in...not like it's hard). Instead, we'd get moderately toasty, go have a pre-game big Fat Tire, and call it good for the rest of the game.

That's what's going to happen people are going to come to the games more bombed and will probably start sneaking in with flasks hidden in their cloths. My representative Ray Homberg said To me in an email, that this bill is without merit and should be killed...

What's next?

No drinking in the presence of a minor in your own home?

What a slippery slope.

One of the first things I remember learning was to think before I spoke. In this case, these 3 people forgot to think before they wrote/typed.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit, we seem to become more of a Nanny State all of the time.

Funny bill. Ban alcohol, it gets snuck in. The bathrooms at the Ralph will be like the old Ralph, with tons of empty booze bottles in the stalls. Tailgating at Sioux or Bison games without some brews? Unholy!

Yep. Sales of flasks and "Big Gulp"-type cups will be pretty brisk. Maybe the old "Coke" and "Pepsi" can wraps will come back. I think I may get in on this racket ... :lol:

"in the presence of a minor" WTF does that mean? Is there a certain distance they have in mind, like ten miles? Idiotic drafting makes lawyers very happy ... :D

Open (container) revolt!

Seriously, do these people sit around all day and just think of ways to take the fun out of life? The same sort of banning alcohol at DakotaDome tailgating rumor came out in the Argus's live USD chat yesterday. I am already looking forward to tailgating outside the DakotaDome next year, and am putting it on my agenda to roadtrip to GF for the Battle of the Dakotas next season. Looking forward to the pregame festivities.

I think the bill was drafted by Representative Buzz Killington.

• Upvote 1

Rep Damschen (from Bismark, I think?) was on Dan Hammer's show this afternoon and got lit up by callers. This bill has no chance.

I was listening to the Flag on the way to the Vet today and he got lit up on the Flag as well...

You guys should see the work Bisonville has put into this. Here is the link:

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22811

Great examples of wording and ideas folks can use in contacting their legislators. This is an issue that all Bison and Sioux fans must unite to defeat. You will see that Bison fans are running rings around you from a grassroutes perspective.....are you going to let the moo-u'ers have all the fun in getting this bill killed and then take the credit? Time for the Sioux fans to do the same and start posting their e-mails/responses here.

Let's kill this stupid idea. Never "assume" something like this will die until it is dead!

What's next?

What a slippery slope.

One of the first things I remember learning was to think before I spoke. In this case, these 3 people forgot to think before they wrote/typed.

Well ...

Some in the legislature are trying to make it illegal to smoke in your own car if someone under age 13 is in the car also.

On the alcohol angle the next step wouldn't be in front of a minor in your own home but it would probably be in front of a minor in a public restaurant. Then they'd go after the "in the home" angle.

Welcome to the Nanny State.

What's next?

What a slippery slope.

Its a great point!!! This is a "local control" issue and not for the state legislators to stick their noses in. I do not for one minute believe this bill will pass and become law. I swear there are days where I feel like living in this state borders on living anywhere in the 1930's. Ridiculous.

Every Legislative session there are bad bills introduced and every session they are shot down as they should be. This one is no exception. This bill has exactly a .00001 percent chance of passing and not a decimal point more. I would be surprised if it gets more than 5 votes total (including the sponsors).