SiouxSports.com Forum

Force of the North / Warriors of the North

Fetch

I do like the idea of North Dakota Warriors and keeping with a Viking/Norsemen theme. That lame logo wont work though! I sure hope we'll still call on Ben Brien to do our logo for us.

Better than 99% of the junk we have heard so far...

• Upvote 1

The Warriors (with a Thor/Scandinavian theme or icon) works - then we can "Put the hammer down" on opponents and use a Thunder Bolt/Lightning strike as a sound affect when good things happen - and lots of good things are going to be happening!

• Upvote 1

I do like the idea of North Dakota Warriors and keeping with a Viking/Norsemen theme. That lame logo wont work though! I sure hope we'll still call on Ben Brien to do our logo for us.

It was awesome to see Ben Brien get a standing ovation at the game on Saturday Night.

I believe Marquette dropped the Warrior moniker some years ago because it was hostile and abusive. They were among the first to change.

Marquetter was using an Native American themed logo (like UND's). That was the core issue. "Warriors" went with the Native American head logo.

Winona State uses a Spartan/Trojan looking logo with Warriors and they're on the NCAA "nice" list.

Warriors of the North would fit in nicely with the Pride of the North marching band.

Warriors of the North. A little long, but it's one of the best in terms of embodying the image we're (or at least I'm) looking for. I could live with this.

It could be shortened to Northern Warriors and be almost as effective.

Warriors itself is pretty generic, but if it can be dressed up some way I like the concept. Here are some others using Warriors.

Warriors ---

Appalachian Bible College (Bradley, West Virginia)

Bacone College (Muskogee, Oklahoma)

California State University-Stanislaus (Stanislaus, California)

Calvary Bible College (Kansas City, Missouri)

Corban College (Salem, Oregon) (former name: Western Baptist College)

Eastern Connecticut State University (Willimantic, Connecticut)

East Stroudsburg University (East Stroudsberg, Pennsylvania)

Hendrix College (Conway, Arkansas)

Indiana Institute of Technology (Fort Wayne, Indiana)

Life Pacific College (San Dimas, California) (former name: Life Bible College)

Lewis-Clark State College (Lewiston, Idaho)

Lycoming College (Williamsport, Pennsylvania)

Merrimack College (North Andover, Massachusetts)

Miami Christian University (Miami, Florida)

Midland Lutheran College (Fremont, Nebraska)

National War College (part of National Defense University) (Washington, D.C.)

Rochester College (Rochester, Michigan)

Southern Wesleyan University (Central, South Carolina)

Sterling College (Sterling, Kansas)

Trinity International University-South Florida Campus (Miami, Florida)

Union College (Lincoln, Nebraska)

University of Akron-Wayne College (Orrville, Ohio)

University of Hawaii (men's team) (Honolulu, Hawaii) (former nickname: Rainbow Warriors)

Waldorf College (Forest City, Iowa)

Wayne State University (Detroit, Michigan) (former nickname: Tartars)

Webber International University (Babson Park, Florida) (former name: Webber College)

Westmont College (Santa Barbara, California)

William Jessup University (Rocklin, California) (former name: San Jose Christian College)

Winona State University (Minnesota)

Wisconsin Lutheran College (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)

I like Trojans keeping with the Warrior theme...

Goon, your blog post is what started me on the Norse name and theme. Warriors is too generic. Go from Fighting Sioux to Fighting Norse. Go from a side shot of a Sioux warrior to a side shot of a Viking warrior. 99% of all these "ideas" on here suck. Use your oline powers Goon for the Fighting Norse (and keep up the blogging on Goons world)...

Siouxfan97 soon to be Norsefan 97?

I Like Fighting Norse

I like Fighting Norse, but find it a little to easy for someone to morph it into something I wouldn't like....... The Fighting Nurse,........ Nurses with Purses... etc.

Warriors of the North or Northern Warriors would be less likely to be bastardized.

Edit: For the record, I am not attempting to denigrate the nursing profession or anyone in that profession, male or female. I just know how a certain fan base loves to make fun of UND even though they are "over UND" and supposedly don't care.

Edited by GeauxSioux

Warriors of the North. A little long, but it's one of the best in terms of embodying the image we're (or at least I'm) looking for. I could live with this.

It could be shortened to Northern Warriors and be almost as effective.

Of all the nicknames that have been discussed this sounds like the best one to me...relates to the region, sounds tough, has good logo possibilities, can keep the current color scheme, shouldn't offend any PC...um...advocates.

I do think that Northern Warriors would be the better of the 2, University of North Dakota Warriors of the North seems a little breezy to me.

Goon, your blog post is what started me on the Norse name and theme. Warriors is too generic. Go from Fighting Sioux to Fighting Norse. Go from a side shot of a Sioux warrior to a side shot of a Viking warrior. 99% of all these "ideas" on here suck. Use your oline powers Goon for the Fighting Norse (and keep up the blogging on Goons world)...

Siouxfan97 soon to be Norsefan 97?

I can live with Norse as long as we don't end up wearing purple and gold... I think the possibilities for Norse are awesome... What about NORSE?

I like the University of North Dakota Mighty Norse. It has a better ring to it than Fighting Norse. I think The University of North Dakota Northern Warriors has a lot of "North" in the name. The mascot could be named Gunnarr.

GUNNARR: Old Norse name composed of the elements gunnr "battle, fight" and arr "army, war," hence "soldier, warrior." In mythology, this is the name of the husband of Brynhildr.

Goon, the colors will always be green, black, white, and pink....those will never change. Just take everything that had Sioux on it and replace it with Norse.

Actually, I should have put a :) after my post, I am in denial because I am a Viking fan and this season has been tough to swallow...