SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments

star2city

The premise by Star City (50 posts ago) was . . . NDSU will be forced to join a western conference due to all the oil money and support in western ND, or that NDSU would be crazy not to try to join the Big Sky because of the western ND money and support which they will miss out on. NDSU is probably trying to explore a move west right now as we speak, they'd be crazy not to. Secret meeting are being held as NDSU begs UND officials for their support in a move westward. If NDSU can't get into the big sky, they will go Dac10 to lock into a ND and western conference. Is that close Star City? I made up the Dac10 thing and the secret meetings. :)

My premise . . . western ND oil will have no impact on NDSU conference affiliation, but will help support the entire NDSBHE budgets and bring growth to the state. NDSU will continue to connect itself to the entire state of ND through its programs and Ag extension efforts. Star City has way too much time on his hands and would be better served to speculate on the next move the Big East or Pac 12.

My premise . . . und will stay in the sky, and ndsu will stay in the Summit/Valley, but the odds are much greater that und would move east to save 1.5 million in travel and join the other 3 dakota U's before ndsu would ever consider a move west.

:lol:

Apparently, Herd and NDSU fans are obsessed enough with the legitimate economic arguments presented here (never mind the alumni and recruiting issues) that perhaps a bit of light is penetrating their skull. Again, NDSU fans would never be in a favor of moving over - largely because of entirely emotional issues of being previously rejected and never following UND.

I personally hope NDSU never follows UND to the Big Sky, but Bresiani has a strategic enough mind to comprehend that a western conference may pay huge dividends to UND.

Although it was different circumstances that caused the change in statewide perceptions in Montana, 25 years ago Montana St formerly was by far the attendance leader in Montana. Nothing ever stays the same.

Why would Bohl want to be taken away from the area he recruits? Why would the players want to go west away from their families? What makes the Big Sky so much more attractive?

More adventuresome people want to travel to new and interesting places. The MVFC is basically the same scenery: nothing wrong with that. It's just more of a homebody league.

When TCU left the regional CUSA for the MWC, most of the CUSA teams were predicting disaster for TCU's program for the same reasons that NDSU fans consider UND's move to the Big Sky crazy. Who won that argument.

I don't disagree but these kids are competing in athletics, not going to war. With broadcast capabilities on tv, over the web and a radio broadcast available no matter where someone is at playing at a distance away from their families not as big of a deal as it used to be. Also, recruiting areas are constantly expanding. NDSU is recruiting Arizona pretty heavily now. With UND now in a conference and nearing post season elgibility we will start to grab more and more recruits that used to be a lock for ndsu. Already seeing that this year. I think ndsu is very comfortable in the MVFC/Summit and has a long term vision of Valley for all sports. I am happy with where UND is at right now and the schools we have aligned ourselves with. The distinations are something some kids may see as desireable and the school and program are being introduced into the largest and fastest growing population base in the country. I think both schools are where they want to be and neither will be looking to make a change anytime soon.

I think it is still a pretty big deal to have mom and dad plus some friends in the stands. Sure internet and TV has made the world smaller but it is hard to replace being there live. I do agree both school are moving in directions that they want to go and I don't see it changing.

The majority of road games don't have a huge following of fans at anyway. From what I've seen of parents of kids who play seem to make it to a lot of road games no matter where the school is playing. The most important reasons for picking a conference are locations of where the games are at, the profile of the conference, the tradition of the conference, and the strength of the conference. I think most players and parents would take the Big Sky over the MVFC. It just simply sounds and looks more attractive. I think your wrong it you think televised games and internet broadcasts aren't important. They are extremely important to parents and friends of players. It has made the world a much smaller place.

Why is this thread even continuing? If you're happy and this is the best thing ever then why? Reason: You guys are out on a island and feeling kind of lonely. So you have to make up amazing hypothetical reasons that being out on an island is better than what the other Dakota schools have. Be happy you're in the BSC.

Why is this thread even continuing? If you're happy and this is the best thing ever then why? Reason: You guys are out on a island and feeling kind of lonely. So you have to make up amazing hypothetical reasons that being out on an island is better than what the other Dakota schools have. Be happy you're in the BSC.

:D :D :D

Its continuing because ndsu fans continue to come on here and try to talk down the Big Sky. You guys are now seeing that its going to pay off in recruiting and also seeing that UND fans and administration are truely happy being in the conference. All I heard about after the Montana St. game was how great the Bobcat fans where and how beautiful the stadium setting was. Thats probably the 4th or 5th best setting for a stadium in the confernce. Eastern Washington it was the Red turf and now another Big Sky team in the nat'l championship game. ndsu fans are now realizing what the conference has to offer and have actually backed up what UND fans have been saying since the Big Sky asked us to join. Thats why it won't die Danno is cause fans like you won't let it die. We are very happy to be in the BSC and thanks again for your interest in Fighting Sioux athletics.

The majority of road games don't have a huge following of fans at anyway. From what I've seen of parents of kids who play seem to make it to a lot of road games no matter where the school is playing. The most important reasons for picking a conference are locations of where the games are at, the profile of the conference, the tradition of the conference, and the strength of the conference. I think most players and parents would take the Big Sky over the MVFC. It just simply sounds and looks more attractive. I think your wrong it you think televised games and internet broadcasts aren't important. They are extremely important to parents and friends of players. It has made the world a much smaller place.

I never said TV and internet didn't matter, I just said it can't replace being there live for family and friends.

NDSU recruits in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and Nebraska. Those are our core pipelines, the MVFC puts us in those areas. The Big Sky takes us away from those areas, the Big Sky gets zero coverage where we recruit. So I completely disagree with what you are saying about players and parents taking the Big Sky over the MVFC. The MVFC isn't a big name like the Big 10 is in those states, but it is at least an established brand and has at least some significance.

I'm glad you guys are happy in the Big Sky, I enjoyed my trip to Bozeman. I don't know why Bison fans run down the Big Sky, it is a fine conference with some great schools. It is just as good as the MVFC/Summit for a school like UND that is still establishing itself in DI.

Its continuing because ndsu fans continue to come on here and try to talk down the Big Sky. You guys are now seeing that its going to pay off in recruiting and also seeing that UND fans and administration are truely happy being in the conference. All I heard about after the Montana St. game was how great the Bobcat fans where and how beautiful the stadium setting was. Thats probably the 4th or 5th best setting for a stadium in the confernce. Eastern Washington it was the Red turf and now another Big Sky team in the nat'l championship game. ndsu fans are now realizing what the conference has to offer and have actually backed up what UND fans have been saying since the Big Sky asked us to join. Thats why it won't die Danno is cause fans like you won't let it die. We are very happy to be in the BSC and thanks again for your interest in Fighting Sioux athletics.

I think the Big Sky is a good conference, no arguement from me on that. I think it was a good move by und and they will have a great future. The big sky is a solid conference home period. The only questionable thing for und is tavel budget and core sports in the sky w/o bb, sb, swimming, but that is workable. The summit would have been a better fit with core sports, and und will need to evaluate its current list of sports. If the fans aren't concerned about it, then all is good.

For ndsu, the summit/Valley is a better option than the big sky. Ndsu is primarily recruiting MN, WI, IL, NE, ND/SD for football. With SUU/Cent out and SD in the Summit, things are improving and tighting up. I have no issues with the big sky, but it would be a step backwards (now) for ndsu to make a change. Moving to the Big Sky would be like starting the transition all over again. It doesn't hurt that SD and SDSU are with us too.

It's a good move by und, and ndsu is in a good position. The only negative is for the fans in the state of ND who will not see regular games between these school in football, and the baskettball games will feel more exhitibions by out of conference.

I think the Big Sky is a good conference, no arguement from me on that. I think it was a good move by und and they will have a great future. The big sky is a solid conference home period. The only questionable thing for und is tavel budget and core sports in the sky w/o bb, sb, swimming, but that is workable. The summit would have been a better fit with core sports, and und will need to evaluate its current list of sports. If the fans aren't concerned about it, then all is good.

For ndsu, the summit/Valley is a better option than the big sky. Ndsu is primarily recruiting MN, WI, IL, NE, ND/SD for football. With SUU/Cent out and SD in the Summit, things are improving and tighting up. I have no issues with the big sky, but it would be a step backwards (now) for ndsu to make a change. Moving to the Big Sky would be like starting the transition all over again. It doesn't hurt that SD and SDSU are with us too.

It's a good move by und, and ndsu is in a good position. The only negative is for the fans in the state of ND who will not see regular games between these school in football, and the baskettball games will feel more exhitibions by out of conference.

Can't argue with that Herd. This will probably be the topic of pissing matches for the next year or longer.

I'm not saying one conference is better than the other, and I actually think both UND & NDSU will be in the same conference (not sure which one) in the near future, but what are Sioux Fans going to be saying in 4 or 5 years when UND isn't beating the Bison by 4 touchdowns in football or 30 point in basketball every year. Listening to Sioux fans UND getting into the BSC is the end for NDSU and a springboard to the Big 10 or Big 12 for UND. The current conference situation may level the playing field for UND, nothing more.

My gosh ... you are delusional. Do you even believe half the stuff you post? Why would NDSU want to double it travel and budget? Why would NDSU want to leave a stronger BB conference in the Summit to join the Big Sky? Why would NDSU even consider moving out of Valley Football? Football recruiting, if NDSU joined a western FCS conference would tank in our current recruiting areas. Do you understand any of this?

Bison fans are extremely happy with both of these conference affiliations. You can't possibly be serious or have NDSU's best interest in mind at all. I shouldn't be surprised, your post are basically hypothetical darts thrown to see what will stick. You missed, againnnn.

Stronger how? Both get 1 invite each year. If by stronger you mean equally irrelevant than I agree. ;)

• Upvote 1

Let me just say that I'm happy UND is in the Big Sky, that is what I always wanted. Also the MVFC would have been great too, and it is for NDSU. I think both schools are in fine situations. Personally, and this is just me, I'm happy UND was extended the invite from the Big Sky and if we would have had the choice of the two like USD did, I would have still hoped and preferred that UND chose the Big Sky in that situation as well. Again, it is just my personal preference.

I don't expect NDSU to try to get into the Big Sky, they have a great situation with where they are at...................I just want to ask a general question. One of the biggest reasons NDSU fans give for not wanting the Big Sky (again I see no reason why they'd want to leave their current situation) is that the MVFC lies within their primary recruiting areas. Well, don't most schools recruit A) the locations they play near most, and B) locations that their coaching staff has "connections"?

UND didn't start recruiting CA much until we started playing their regularly. Both schools recruit AZ and neither play their regularly, although UND will in the future. Both schools recruit Texas a little more now, and neither play there often except during transitonal time-frame games against Southland schools. NDSU recruits Nebraska because their head coach has ties there. They don't play there since leaving the NCC.

Just asking................seems like a silly excuse. I'm sure UND will recruit Colorado and Utah more now that we will play there often. NDSU will continue to recruit Illinois and such places. Both schools will recruit MN and WI heavily as they always have even though neither state are Big Sky or MVFC states. If one of our favorite schools gets an assistant coach with good ties to high school football in North Carolina, I'd imagine we'd recruit their even though it is not a "primary" recruiting area.

Herd I don't disagree with you one bit as the MVFC/Summit is a nice set up but here a question as I hear USD come up all the time. Did USD make a decision or was a decision made for USD by higher ups?

Decision was made for them due to the buyout. USD wanted to go to the BSC, but didn't want to pay the Summit to do so.

Decision was made for them due to the buyout. USD wanted to go to the BSC, but didn't want to pay the Summit to do so.

That may be partly true, but if the situation had been different, as in if the Summit & MVFC together and the Big Sky offered USD on the same day 20 months ago before they had already commited to the Summit, I find it difficult to believe that USD would have chosen the Big Sky. Their football team rode a bus to North Carolina for a game two years ago..................I highly doubt they were looking forward to Big Sky travel. Their near decision to join the Big Sky was based on football affiliation only, my guess is there was a huge sigh of relief when the MVFC offered at the last minute.

Don't forget about Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo. I heard Dan Hammer and Scott Miller talking on KFGO one day and they were saying that it was the best setting for football that they'd been to.

Getting into the Big Sky was a grand slam for UND. When a university is making the transition to D1, obtaining membership into the BSC would be at the top of the list but they'd think it could only be a dream. But, for UND, that dream came true.

There are so many advantages in being in the BSC and most of them are mentioned in previous posts. I see that UND has offered a scholarship to a kid from Concord, CA. The chances of getting a good recruit from Concord to come to North Dakota aren't very high, but when you consider Concord is only about 50 miles from UC-Davis, 60 miles from Sacramento State and 3 1/2 hours from Cal Poly, I bet the chances go up significantly. I have no idea if this kid is a great recruit or not but if UND was competing with NDSU, SDSU or USD for him I bet I know where he'd end up. :)

Considering where USD is located and the size of their athletic budget, it would seem that they are in the conference they wanted to be in all along. I also feel that the Sioux are in the conference they want to be in. As big as the Big Sky's footprint is, it isn't any bigger, especially when it comes to basketball, than the Great West.

As for NDSU, it seems like there are more flagship/land grant separations than there are parallel affiliations in athletic conferences. The Iowa/Iowa State, Colorado/Colorado State type arrangements in different conferences outnumber the Kansas/Kansas State, Arizona/Arizona State affiliations, so why do North Dakota and North Dakota State have to play in the same conference? If the ADs want to have an OOC game that will pack fans to the rafters, they will see to it that the Sioux/Bison rivalry is restarted. If not, life will go on as it has since NDSU moved to D-I in 2004. The other thing about those divergences of schools between conferences, almost every split has put the flagship school in the more respected conference than the land grant - for example Indiana/Indiana State, Florida/Florida State, Utah/Utah State. The list goes on with very few that can be argued - Iowa and Iowa State come to mind (Big Ten 12 vs Big 12). UND and NDSU playing in different conferences can also be viewed in that light. At best (from NDSU's point of view), the Summit/MVFC combination may be considered in the same light as the Big Sky, expecially with the conference's presence in the region due to the Dakota schools affiliating with them, but, historically, the Big Sky has been viewed as a more prestigious conference by the residents of our area, like Colorado being in the Big 12 (or now, the Pac 12) while Colorado State is in the Mountain West. Seriously, how many people knew what conference Illinois State or Missouri State was in before the Bison joined the MVFC? But nearly everyone could have told you what conference Montana State is in.

The other thing about those divergences of schools between conferences, almost every split has put the flagship school in the more respected conference than the land grant - for example Indiana/Indiana State, Florida/Florida State, Utah/Utah State.

Pretty sure Purdue is the Land Grant of Indiana, and U. Florida is the Land Grant of Florida.

Just because a school has "state" after its name doesn't mean it is the State's land grant university (ex FSU, Idaho State, Missouri St etc )

Pretty sure Purdue is the Land Grant of Indiana, and U. Florida is the Land Grant of Florida.

Just because a school has "state" after its name doesn't mean it is the State's land grant university (ex FSU, Idaho State, Missouri St etc )

Sorry, guess I didn't do my research very well. I have never heard of a sea-grant or space-grant university before. :huh:

Considering where USD is located and the size of their athletic budget, it would seem that they are in the conference they wanted to be in all along. I also feel that the Sioux are in the conference they want to be in. As big as the Big Sky's footprint is, it isn't any bigger, especially when it comes to basketball, than the Great West.

As for NDSU, it seems like there are more flagship/land grant separations than there are parallel affiliations in athletic conferences. The Iowa/Iowa State, Colorado/Colorado State type arrangements in different conferences outnumber the Kansas/Kansas State, Arizona/Arizona State affiliations, so why do North Dakota and North Dakota State have to play in the same conference? If the ADs want to have an OOC game that will pack fans to the rafters, they will see to it that the Sioux/Bison rivalry is restarted. If not, life will go on as it has since NDSU moved to D-I in 2004. The other thing about those divergences of schools between conferences, almost every split has put the flagship school in the more respected conference than the land grant - for example Indiana/Indiana State, Florida/Florida State, Utah/Utah State. The list goes on with very few that can be argued - Iowa and Iowa State come to mind (Big Ten 12 vs Big 12). UND and NDSU playing in different conferences can also be viewed in that light. At best (from NDSU's point of view), the Summit/MVFC combination may be considered in the same light as the Big Sky, expecially with the conference's presence in the region due to the Dakota schools affiliating with them, but, historically, the Big Sky has been viewed as a more prestigious conference by the residents of our area, like Colorado being in the Big 12 (or now, the Pac 12) while Colorado State is in the Mountain West. Seriously, how many people knew what conference Illinois State or Missouri State was in before the Bison joined the MVFC? But nearly everyone could have told you what conference Montana State is in.

Yeah, people have never heard of the MVC? Come on now, this is getting ridiculous.

• Downvote 1

I don't expect NDSU to try to get into the Big Sky, they have a great situation with where they are at...................I just want to ask a general question. One of the biggest reasons NDSU fans give for not wanting the Big Sky (again I see no reason why they'd want to leave their current situation) is that the MVFC lies within their primary recruiting areas. Well, don't most schools recruit A) the locations they play near most, and B) locations that their coaching staff has "connections"?

UND didn't start recruiting CA much until we started playing their regularly. Both schools recruit AZ and neither play their regularly, although UND will in the future. Both schools recruit Texas a little more now, and neither play there often except during transitonal time-frame games against Southland schools. NDSU recruits Nebraska because their head coach has ties there. They don't play there since leaving the NCC.

NDSU has always recruited mainly in the same area(MN, Wisconsin and Illinois) being in the MVFC only enhances recruiting in those areas. Nebraska has only recently opened up, but that is another area that is in MVFC footprint. Joining the MVFC has really made us more competitive with UNI in recruiting, especially for the top recruits from the Twin Cities area.

Yeah, people have never heard of the MVC? Come on now, this is getting ridiculous.

Your reading comprehension really needs work. He said nothing like that. He said that historically (before NDSU moved up), people in this area were much more aware of the Big Sky than the MVFC. They were aware because of the Montana schools. And since those same people weren't really as aware of the MVFC, they didn't pay attention to schools like Illinois State or Missouri State. However, they did pay a little attention to Montana and Montana State. I will add that those same people were aware of UNI, but really had very little idea about who else was in a conference with UNI, whereas most people could have named at least a few of the other teams in the Big Sky.

Your reading comprehension really needs work. He said nothing like that. He said that historically (before NDSU moved up), people in this area were much more aware of the Big Sky than the MVFC. They were aware because of the Montana schools. And since those same people weren't really as aware of the MVFC, they didn't pay attention to schools like Illinois State or Missouri State. However, they did pay a little attention to Montana and Montana State. I will add that those same people were aware of UNI, but really had very little idea about who else was in a conference with UNI, whereas most people could have named at least a few of the other teams in the Big Sky.

I think that's mostly right. With Montana being a border state ND would always keep track of those schools. Plus with Montana State winning the NC and Montana usually doing well in the playoffs we heard about it in the sports pages. The local sports never reported on any MVFC shcools.

• Upvote 1