SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments

star2city

So what - you're still delusional.

What a sad and pathetic life you must have if the only way you can get pleasure is to go to a sports forum, for a school that you don't care about anymore, just so you can insult people that you don't know, just because they like a school that you don't care about anymore. Your class is showing all over.

Clearly you are incapable of understanding economic and geopolitical trends. After all, the world revolves around Fargo. Bresciani understands my point: he's from Texas after all.

Here's a clue:

ndoil.jpg

Have you seen these people making all of the money on ND Oil being interviewed in news stories on TV? I'm pretty sure these people don't know what a hockey puck or football are, and if they did, they aren't spending any of their money on much of anything, much less a college athletic program.

Have you seen these people making all of the money on ND Oil being interviewed in news stories on TV? I'm pretty sure these people don't know what a hockey puck or football are, and if they did, they aren't spending any of their money on much of anything, much less a college athletic program.

Your way off base here. Have you been out west and talked to all the business owners, whether its a restraunt owner, appliance store, or electrical company there are a ton of money making money on this oil. Some of these people have had years that are off the charts and are the envy of store owners across the country, all due to oil activity. And yes, a lot of those people where giving money before and are giving now.

Your way off base here. Have you been out west and talked to all the business owners, whether its a restraunt owner, appliance store, or electrical company there are a ton of money making money on this oil. Some of these people have had years that are off the charts and are the envy of store owners across the country, all due to oil activity. And yes, a lot of those people where giving money before and are giving now.

Yes I have - my wife is from New Town and it was a thriving community 35 years old. Now it's main street has 1/2 the stores open and more closing everyday. How about Parshall - it looks like a 3rd world city. I'm sure Watford City is doing better, like Dickinson and Minot. Most of the oil workers are from outstate and when they finish their 2 weeks on they leave for home for 2 weeks. The Cenex's are doing the best of anyone out there.

Also anecdotal, as above, but what I'm hearing is that folks are getting oil royalty checks and putting them into the bank. They aren't spending it; they aren't creating businesses and jobs; they are sitting on it. That comes from a western ND small town banker who say his deposits are rocketing up but nothing was changing on main street in his town.

Yes I have - my wife is from New Town and it was a thriving community 35 years old. Now it's main street has 1/2 the stores open and more closing everyday. How about Parshall - it looks like a 3rd world city. I'm sure Watford City is doing better, like Dickinson and Minot. Most of the oil workers are from outstate and when they finish their 2 weeks on they leave for home for 2 weeks. The Cenex's are doing the best of anyone out there.

Good job, you named two towns with a very small percentage of population of where the oil activity is. How about the owner of the Trappers Inn in Belfield, has people staying there who drive 2+ hours to work everyday. Or any electrician out west, or concrete worker. Ever been through the McDonalds in Williston? Car dealerships? There is more to the oil money than just the people receiving royalty checks and more area than the couple handful of businesses in Parshall or New town. I can name a couple handful of businesses from Fargo alone that filled there work schedules for the year doing excavating, utility placement, home building etc. out in the oil field.

I'm not in the camp that every person who makes money out there is going to give to a university or even spend it. But with how much money is spent out there every day some of it is going to find its way into the hands of someone who gives to either university. And for the few businesses that have closed in New Town or Parshall there are more that have opened in Dickinson, Williston, Minot, Stanley etc. Main Streets closing in small town ND is the norm, not the exception to the oil patch.

Everyone here knows how Bison Dan comes on here and spreads his baloney. Most of the time he doesn't even know whats he's talking about. I think he is at it again. Does anyone really believe he is married? Ouch. If it is true that has to hurt.

Everyone here knows how Bison Dan comes on here and spreads his baloney. Most of the time he doesn't even know whats he's talking about. I think he is at it again. Does anyone really believe he is married? Ouch. If it is true that has to hurt.

You ever been out there? Let's just go with homer & other posters that all the oil money will go to UND because they are in the BSC! :lol:

You ever been out there? Let's just go with homer & other posters that all the oil money will go to UND because they are in the BSC! :lol:

Danno, read my post. I didn't say anything even close to what you claim. Actually I said both universities could potentially benefit but said that not every person who profits will give money. Do I need to repost it or have someone read it to you? The amount of money changing hands out there daily is crazy and believe it or not some people who are getting wealthier are already boosters at either school. Do you think its a stretch to believe that they may give more money now? Maybe you should reread my post before you start calling me out.

Ever heard of corporate sponsors?

Ever consider that Williston will double in population? That Minot will be growing substantially instead of being stagnant? That Bismarck-Mandan may challenge Fargo within 15-20 years as the state's largest metro? Those are all realistic possibilities as the Bakken (and Lodgepole, and Tyler, and Sanish-Three Forks) formations get developed. As Harold Hamm has said, ND deposits are significantly larger than Prudhoe Bay - it will just take many more people and much more capital to tap all the reserves.

UND-Montana and UND-Montana State games will be of significant interest in those cities. NDSU-Indiana State will not. NDSU fans should just push for another name change: Fargo State. Fargo State better reflects the attitude of NDSU fans and administration.

Conference realignment on a smaller scale: Dickinson and Jamestown have been invited to the Montana to Oregon Frontier Conference in NAIA. Minot is looking to join the Minnesota based D-II Northern Sun. Where can Mayville and Valley CIty go? MIAC and Great Plains Conference are private schools, Upper Midwest Conference is a long ways away. Its not like either Mayville or Valley City are national powers in fb or bb, but Mayville is almost always competitive in baseball. Hate to see them facing a future with less prospects than Idaho.

you mean like Sanford or Scheels?

Those are naming rights donors (and they only took eight years to round up in Fargo-Moorhead). The bread and butter of athletic budgets are corporate donors that pay for advertising annually and purchase season tickets / suites: like the donors that ring Engelstad Arena boards and advertise at the game and on TV.

Those are naming rights donors (and they only took eight years to round up in Fargo-Moorhead). The bread and butter of athletic budgets are corporate donors that pay for advertising annually and purchase season tickets / suites: like the donors that ring Engelstad Arena boards and advertise at the game and on TV.

Like the ones that have banners all over the Fargodome and will have in Scheels Arena, and the ones that are buying the suites in the Fargodome and will assuredly buy the ones in the new Scheels Arena ( Renovated BSA)? Like the ones that are currently driving season ticket sales up year after year at the Fargodome? I think NDSU knows about corporate sponsors. By the way, how many of those corporate sponsors that ring the REA boards or the Betty or the Alerus are from companies from Bismarck and West? Just curious.

The premise by Star City (50 posts ago) was . . . NDSU will be forced to join a western conference due to all the oil money and support in western ND, or that NDSU would be crazy not to try to join the Big Sky because of the western ND money and support which they will miss out on. NDSU is probably trying to explore a move west right now as we speak, they'd be crazy not to. Secret meeting are being held as NDSU begs UND officials for their support in a move westward. If NDSU can't get into the big sky, they will go Dac10 to lock into a ND and western conference. Is that close Star City? I made up the Dac10 thing and the secret meetings. :)

My premise . . . western ND oil will have no impact on NDSU conference affiliation, but will help support the entire NDSBHE budgets and bring growth to the state. NDSU will continue to connect itself to the entire state of ND through its programs and Ag extension efforts. Star City has way too much time on his hands and would be better served to speculate on the next move the Big East or Pac 12.

My premise . . . und will stay in the sky, and ndsu will stay in the Summit/Valley, but the odds are much greater that und would move east to save 1.5 million in travel and join the other 3 dakota U's before ndsu would ever consider a move west.

The premise by Star City (50 posts ago) was . . . NDSU will be forced to join a western conference due to all the oil money and support in western ND, or that NDSU would be crazy not to try to join the Big Sky because of the western ND money and support which they will miss out on. NDSU is probably trying to explore a move west right now as we speak, they'd be crazy not to. Secret meeting are being held as NDSU begs UND officials for their support in a move westward. If NDSU can't get into the big sky, they will go Dac10 to lock into a ND and western conference. Is that close Star City? I made up the Dac10 thing and the secret meetings. :)

My premise . . . western ND oil will have no impact on NDSU conference affiliation, but will help support the entire NDSBHE budgets and bring growth to the state. NDSU will continue to connect itself to the entire state of ND through its programs and Ag extension efforts. Star City has way too much time on his hands and would be better served to speculate on the next move the Big East or Pac 12.

My premise . . . und will stay in the sky, and ndsu will stay in the Summit/Valley, but the odds are much greater that und would move east to save 1.5 million in travel and join the other 3 dakota U's before ndsu would ever consider a move west.

Herd, you may very well be right. NDSU is about farming (and ranching), so they would not look to the oilfields and think there is support for the Bison there. The SBoHE budget will trickle down to all schools and will, indeed, be fed by oil money, so what's the big deal? I also do not know about where alumni go from either school, but maybe NDSU needs the Illinois, Kansas City, Tulsa connections more than UND does? Not making a statement here, just asking a question.

You are also probably right that NDSU will not look to the Big Sky for membership. Since the Sioux got there first, the egos in Fargo would not allow the Bison to "follow" the Sioux into the Big Sky, no matter the consequences. If that is the case, so be it.

On the other hand, if the WAC survives, and I think it will rise once again from the ashes (they have been given up for dead at least twice before), the Big Sky is one of the main sources for the WAC and with that comes an FBS conference home. How many teams have moved to FBS from the MVFC/Gateway? Western Kentucky is the only one I can think of offhand. The story has been different with the Big Sky/WAC/MWC (Idaho, Boise, Nevada Reno, not to mention the open invitation to Montana that has been turned down again and Gonzaga and Cal State Northridge in basketball), so NDSU can go ahead and stay in the MVFC/Summit while the Sioux groom for an FBS upgrade sometime in the next decade or so. Who knows, maybe UND will be like Montana and decide the Big Sky is better than FBS, like the Bison have decided that the Summit is better than the Big Sky.

I don't agree with the idea that NDSU will move to the BSC because of the oil boom in western ND...that would go against all of the paradigms they have set up in Fargo and its pretty far fetched to begin with. On the other hand, I do believe UND moving the BSC will enhance their perception of being an all ND team and University and will most likely drive more donors who happen to be getting richer by the day in the western part of the state to potentially send donations to UND versus NDSU. I also think its very noticeable that NDSU is really turning into Fargo state because it sits at a critical juncture of the two major highways in ND/Minnesota and ultimately provides the perspective to many in ND and Minnesota that they are fundamentally an eastern ND college focusing primarily on Agriculture - a view that many have and will begin to have in the Western part of the state when UND starts to play against the Montana's and the the western US teams in the BSC. Ultimately, we won't see anything short term, but I believe long term you will see this perception turn in a postive way to UND at the cost of NDSU.

BobIwabuchiFan

I don't agree with the idea that NDSU will move to the BSC because of the oil boom in western ND...that would go against all of the paradigms they have set up in Fargo and its pretty far fetched to begin with. On the other hand, I do believe UND moving the BSC will enhance their perception of being an all ND team and University and will most likely drive more donors who happen to be getting richer by the day in the western part of the state to potentially send donations to UND versus NDSU. I also think its very noticeable that NDSU is really turning into Fargo state because it sits at a critical juncture of the two major highways in ND/Minnesota and ultimately provides the perspective to many in ND and Minnesota that they are fundamentally an eastern ND college focusing primarily on Agriculture - a view that many have and will begin to have in the Western part of the state when UND starts to play against the Montana's and the the western US teams in the BSC. Ultimately, we won't see anything short term, but I believe long term you will see this perception turn in a postive way to UND at the cost of NDSU.

BobIwabuchiFan

The recently released census data show that the country is growing west and south. UND is positioning itself for a stronger future by looking that direction. The loss of seats in congress by states like Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, and Indiana etc. indicate to me at least that the decision to look westward for future athletic competitors and recruting was the right one. Minnesota and Wisconsin basically stood still. It will take a long time, perhaps 20 years, but the future of the US is in the Western states where all of the BSC schools reside. I do not think it will have an immediate impact on NDSU and I congratulate them on what I consider substantial success and recognition to date. If UND can match their performances over the next 3-5 years I will be more than pleased.

Herd, you may very well be right. NDSU is about farming (and ranching), so they would not look to the oilfields and think there is support for the Bison there. The SBoHE budget will trickle down to all schools and will, indeed, be fed by oil money, so what's the big deal? I also do not know about where alumni go from either school, but maybe NDSU needs the Illinois, Kansas City, Tulsa connections more than UND does? Not making a statement here, just asking a question.

You are also probably right that NDSU will not look to the Big Sky for membership. Since the Sioux got there first, the egos in Fargo would not allow the Bison to "follow" the Sioux into the Big Sky, no matter the consequences. If that is the case, so be it.

On the other hand, if the WAC survives, and I think it will rise once again from the ashes (they have been given up for dead at least twice before), the Big Sky is one of the main sources for the WAC and with that comes an FBS conference home. How many teams have moved to FBS from the MVFC/Gateway? Western Kentucky is the only one I can think of offhand. The story has been different with the Big Sky/WAC/MWC (Idaho, Boise, Nevada Reno, not to mention the open invitation to Montana that has been turned down again and Gonzaga and Cal State Northridge in basketball), so NDSU can go ahead and stay in the MVFC/Summit while the Sioux groom for an FBS upgrade sometime in the next decade or so. Who knows, maybe UND will be like Montana and decide the Big Sky is better than FBS, like the Bison have decided that the Summit is better than the Big Sky.

What people need to understand . . . ndsu was interested in the Big Sky yes, but that was before the Summit/Valley combination became available. When ndsu saw the big sky as their best conference option, they were comparing it to the Summit only. Would ndsu rather be in the big sky than the Summit only, yes. Would ndsu rather be in the big sky than the summit/valley, No. ndsu would make the some decison usd did. usd is the only school that had both options handed to them. And we all know what decision usd made.

Since everyone is speculating my theory is the following. If we disregarded all the other sports and were only talking about football. I guarantee you Bison coaches and players would rather be in the Big Sky along with UND, Eastern Wahington, Cal Poly, Davis, Montana and Montana State and others rather than the Missouri Valley. They will never admit it though.

What people need to understand . . . ndsu was interested in the Big Sky yes, but that was before the Summit/Valley combination became available. When ndsu saw the big sky as their best conference option, they were comparing it to the Summit only. Would ndsu rather be in the big sky than the Summit only, yes. Would ndsu rather be in the big sky than the summit/valley, No. ndsu would make the some decison usd did. usd is the only school that had both options handed to them. And we all know what decision usd made.

Herd I don't disagree with you one bit as the MVFC/Summit is a nice set up but here a question as I hear USD come up all the time. Did USD make a decision or was a decision made for USD by higher ups?

Since everyone is speculating my theory is the following. If we disregarded all the other sports and were only talking about football. I guarantee you Bison coaches and players would rather be in the Big Sky along with UND, Eastern Wahington, Cal Poly, Davis, Montana and Montana State and others rather than the Missouri Valley. They will never admit it though.

Why would Bohl want to be taken away from the area he recruits? Why would the players want to go west away from their families? What makes the Big Sky so much more attractive?

Herd I don't disagree with you one bit as the MVFC/Summit is a nice set up but here a question as I hear USD come up all the time. Did USD make a decision or was a decision made for USD by higher ups?

USD has always coveted the MVFC/Summit. It fits their needs perfectly, I don't know if them getting in was done by skill or just dumb luck but I think the higher ups definitely didn't have to force them to join. Once the MVFC came calling it was a slam dunk.

Why would Bohl want to be taken away from the area he recruits? Why would the players want to go west away from their families? What makes the Big Sky so much more attractive?

I don't disagree but these kids are competing in athletics, not going to war. With broadcast capabilities on tv, over the web and a radio broadcast available no matter where someone is at playing at a distance away from their families not as big of a deal as it used to be. Also, recruiting areas are constantly expanding. NDSU is recruiting Arizona pretty heavily now. With UND now in a conference and nearing post season elgibility we will start to grab more and more recruits that used to be a lock for ndsu. Already seeing that this year. I think ndsu is very comfortable in the MVFC/Summit and has a long term vision of Valley for all sports. I am happy with where UND is at right now and the schools we have aligned ourselves with. The distinations are something some kids may see as desireable and the school and program are being introduced into the largest and fastest growing population base in the country. I think both schools are where they want to be and neither will be looking to make a change anytime soon.