SiouxSports.com Forum

My Experience at Madison

Watchout for Flying Pucks

I've been to Madison a number of times for Sioux games, and never really had a problem with the Wisco fans. Most were pretty good people who could give and take shiat pretty well. However, as others have noted, State Street is a different world. Saturday, the Badgers waxed Indiana and I would expect most students were still inebriated from that exerience. If you go to student bars, expect to deal with the immature and the amateur drunks. It's probably no different than any other campus area in Dinkytown, Ann Arbor, Grand Forks, etc.

I was there with a group of friends the last time the Sioux swept Wisconsin in Madison. After the Saturday game, my friends and I put a Sioux jersey on the Badger statue on the bar at State Street Brats and we took a group picture next to it. We probably should have gotten beaten up, but there were no issues.

As if most UND students have a clue what is happening on the ice, or for that matter many other people in th stands.

I will guarantee you that UND students and fans know a lot more about hockey then UW fans. I have been to Madison a number of times, and once I heard a fan calling for a penalty over a routine check. Then they said, you can't knock them down. What really. I suggest they read Hockey for Dummies and then maybe they will have a clue.

I've been to Madison a number of times for Sioux games, and never really had a problem with the Wisco fans. Most were pretty good people who could give and take shiat pretty well. However, as others have noted, State Street is a different world. Saturday, the Badgers waxed Indiana and I would expect most students were still inebriated from that exerience. If you go to student bars, expect to deal with the immature and the amateur drunks. It's probably no different than any other campus area in Dinkytown, Ann Arbor, Grand Forks, etc.

I've been there several times also, when football is going on the same weekend, and when it's hockey only. Much more of a d-bag feel to it when the football is in town, but no real issues.

Don't like getting knocked on do ya? Sioux-cia said UW's students were louder (true), and I'm saying the old farts at the Kohl Center are much louder than the ones sitting on their hands at The Ralph.

I've heard the "I've been going to Sioux games since before you were born" dozens of times...it doesn't make you any louder or the atmosphere any more intimidating.

Facts are facts, didn't mean to get anyone's Depends in a bunch.

You don't know me and you don't know whether I yell or not. You are making assumptions, not using facts.

I'm not going to get into the atmosphere discussion again because it has been done to death here. I just think it's amazing that other teams talk about coming to play at the Ralph and looking forward to the building and the great atmosphere, yet people like you continually put it down.

And it might be time for you to grow up a little bit and knock off the name-calling and the insults. You're welcome to your opinion on the atmosphere, but quit with the "geezers" and "Depends" jokes.

• Upvote 4

I was there with a group of friends the last time the Sioux swept Wisconsin in Madison. After the Saturday game, my friends and I put a Sioux jersey on the Badger statue on the bar at State Street Brats and we took a group picture next to it. We probably should have gotten beaten up, but there were no issues.

Good times in Madtown! Looking back on it now, we really probably should have got our ass kicked or at least have received some verbal abuse. I've had nothing but good experiences in my three trips to Madison...other than the military base incident on the way home one time :ohmy:;)

Good times in Madtown! Looking back on it now, we really probably should have got our ass kicked or at least have received some verbal abuse. I've had nothing but good experiences in my three trips to Madison...other than the military base incident on the way home one time :ohmy:;)

I'm a UND grad and Sioux fan who lives near Madison and goes to games there when I can. It's a great hockey atmosphere, even for Sioux fans, in my experience. And from my experience in both GF and Madison, most Wisconsin fans know their hockey too. I'll always root against them when they play the Sioux (or compete against them in any way), but they have a great hockey tradition and know how to have fun at the rink.

This Old Fart was at the Saturday game and the Badger fan behind me was griping about how the ref was calling the game so tight. :lol:

But the only thing that bothered me was the guy wearing Fighting Sioux colors but sporting a headress made of Turkey feathers. I'm hoping it was some very stupid and racist Badger fan trying to make a point. That was totally out of line. I can't imagine a Sioux fan would be so racist and stupid to show that kind of disrespect. :angry:

But the only thing that bothered me was the guy wearing Fighting Sioux colors but sporting a headress made of Turkey feathers. I'm hoping it was some very stupid and racist Badger fan trying to make a point. That was totally out of line. I can't imagine a Sioux fan would be so racist and stupid to show that kind of disrespect. :angry:

Yes, that guy looked really foolish, and it did nothing to advance the long held position that we treat the name and the tradition with nothing short of dignified respect.

I gave him a "Whatya thinking, buddy? Take it off." He ignored me.

I had some good natured times with the Badger fans around me. Some were crying for penalties left and right. I told them that they were starting to sound like Gopher fans.

I also yelled to Shep once or twice that he was doing a really nice job on the ice, and he was.

The Kohl Center is always fun. Especially in March, 2008, when the boys came from a 3-1 deficit in the third to win the West Regional. In OT as I recall? In the Badger's house.

Yes, that guy looked really foolish, and it did nothing to advance the long held position that we treat the name and the tradition with nothing short of dignified respect.

I gave him a "Whatya thinking, buddy? Take it off." He ignored me.

I had some good natured times with the Badger fans around me. Some were crying for penalties left and right. I told them that they were starting to sound like Gopher fans.

I also yelled to Shep once or twice that he was doing a really nice job on the ice, and he was.

The Kohl Center is always fun. Especially in March, 2008, when the boys came from a 3-1 deficit in the third to win the West Regional. In OT as I recall? In the Badger's house.

I believe it was a 2-0 deficit that UND won 3-2 in OT.

"I wish our students were as enthusiastic. Just image, students who know what's going on during the game and really getting into it with chants and dances. We would have an awesome student section."

The old Ralph was like this. The new Ralph owners are so concerned with creating a family atmosphere that they've gone way overboard on the censoring. As my buddy said, "the school song goes 'stand up and cheer' but at the new Ralph it should be 'sit down and be compliant'"

You are correct.

That was a great game to be at.

Hearing all the Sioux fans cheering after the OT goal as all the Badger fans sat in stunned silence was glorious. :D

That was a sweet win to attend. The badger fans around us had been pretty abusive that night, especially the bearded lady.

That was my first time at the Kohl, great fun!

Yeah I was there too. We almost were killed that night as we were sitting just to the side of the student section. Before the game, about 5 drunk students were giving it to us pretty good in a local bar when I went up to one of them and said "next time I see you, don't be skimping on the fries".....of course being a Wisconsin student, he didnt get it until one of his redneck buddies with one tooth, burst out laughing, pointing at his buddy. The guy was totally embarrassed and wanted to take it outside and even his idiot friends told him to it down and said "well you started it, what did you expect"? Classic moment.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I was there too. We almost were killed that night as we were sitting just to the side of the student section. Before the game, about 5 drunk students were giving it to us pretty good in a local bar when I went up to one of them and said "next time I see you, don't be skimping on the fries".....of course being a Wisconsin student, he didnt get it until one of his redneck buddies with one tooth, burst out laughing, pointing at his buddy. The guy was totally embarrassed and wanted to take it outside and even his idiot friends told him to it down and said "well you started it, what did you expect"? Classic moment.

:lol:

Sadly, I have to agree. I loved the Old Ralph and the opposing teams HATED it. I never missed a game after I got to college in 98 until the new arena. Heck, I was pissed when the Student Government ok'ed that students had to pick up tickets; none of those guys believed me that it'd lead to paying for tickets and eventually to assigned seats. When they moved to the new arena I actually stopped going about half way thru the season. It was so boring. New students I'm sure don't know the difference and think they're nuts. Just became way to corporatized and family-oriented. Half the fun of the Gophers series was waiting outside, doing a bonfire, ordering pizza or grilling by the arena and drinking. Now? forget that, you'll pry get arrested.

I graduated soon after the 1987 Championship......I also miss the old atmosphere. I know it will never happen but the student section should be right behind the goal that we shoot @ twice.

Funny as hell!