SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Bemidji State

siouxnami

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sioux weathered the storm tonight. We won a game that we really only played about 5 minutes well. Bemidji outworked and outhustled us most of the night. In the end our skill won out, but this was really a learning night. I think the coaching staff will use it as something to build upon.

1. you have to play 120 minutes of hockey each weekend to win in this league.

2. you need to work hard, not everything is about "pretty"

we beat a highly motivated BSU team. We're going to need to keep improving. BSU will be even better come March...so will the rest of the league.

Take the win, take the learnings and get ready for next weekend.

Should mention Aaron Dell for the effort tonight. Was a steady force between the pipes, and made the saves he needed too. I think he earned himself another start out in Orono.

Agree...every game he plays, he looks a little more comfortable. He seems to be a better positional goalie than BE. Nice to have a couple solid goalies.

BTW...how good was Frattin's wrister last night. SICK!!! I know I keep harping this kid's talents, but I think we are going to see a special kind of year from him that we haven't seen from a Sioux forward in a long time.

Agree...every game he plays, he looks a little more comfortable. He seems to be a better positional goalie than BE. Nice to have a couple solid goalies.

BTW...how good was Frattin's wrister last night. SICK!!! I know I keep harping this kid's talents, but I think we are going to see a special kind of year from him that we haven't seen from a Sioux forward in a long time.

He should be doing some talks in front of some JD's to get some credentials for that big prize at the end of the year.

The Sioux weathered the storm tonight. We won a game that we really only played about 5 minutes well. Bemidji outworked and outhustled us most of the night. In the end our skill won out, but this was really a learning night. I think the coaching staff will use it as something to build upon.

1. you have to play 120 minutes of hockey each weekend to win in this league.

2. you need to work hard, not everything is about "pretty"

we beat a highly motivated BSU team. We're going to need to keep improving. BSU will be even better come March...so will the rest of the league.

Take the win, take the learnings and get ready for next weekend.

Totally disagree. The Sioux were never in danger of losing either nights. Sure BSU played a good game but never once did I think they were going to beat the Sioux.

You see this is more of a learning experience for BSU. They should start to understand that they are in the WCHA now and every weekend doesn't guarantee them points like it may have in the CHA. I think your sentence that says the sioux only played well for five minutes is so untrue it is hard to take the post seriously. Do we need to work on things absolutely. As everyone else gets better so too should UND.

That goal looked a lot like an upgraded version of Frattin's first Sioux goal against Michigan State. You could already tell what a sick shot he had.

Skip to 3:42 of this video for a little trip down memory lane.

Fighting Sioux Goals versus Michigan State

Who would have thought Danny Kristo would only have 1 point so far (0 goals-1 assists)

Hmmm

Kinda reminiscent of TJ Oshie his sophomore year. The dude was snakebit for the first half of his sophomore year.

Kristo looks to be sophomore snakebit as well.

He'll recover.

The big news is: We got 2 good goaltenders! We now can rotate them as needed. I wonder if JPL would have done better had he had that luxury his senior year?

Who would have thought Danny Kristo would only have 1 point so far (0 goals-1 assists)

very true and I watched him last night and he played a awesome game overall.I think he breaks out at Maine but besides the points he is playing solid.sweep Maine!!

The great part about this team, or any team with depth and so many skill players, is that one or two guys can be in a slump, and the rest of the team picks them up. BE will get into the swing of things, Kristo will start scoring. Until then, the other guys will pick them up, and maybe later in the season, they will be in a slump.

Compare this to a team like BSU, with Matt Read. He is forced to be the main go-to guy, and if he has an off night, it is very evident, as he is basically alone in the spotlight.

The great part about this team, or any team with depth and so many skill players, is that one or two guys can be in a slump, and the rest of the team picks them up. BE will get into the swing of things, Kristo will start scoring. Until then, the other guys will pick them up, and maybe later in the season, they will be in a slump.

In the late 90's we had some really deep teams. We'd have 3 skill lines that were pretty much even.

This year we might even be able to consider the #4 line a scoring line.

Kristo played well all weekend long and had a lot of opportunities but he just didn't get the puck to go in for him.

I think they are on the right track by adding Lammy with Kristo and Nelson. Kristo/Cichy are similar kinds of players (Kristo better of course) and putting Lammy on W instead gives the line more grit/balance.

Who would've thought Danny Kristo would find himself skating on a grinder line?

Makes sense to me ...

First, his mode is to carry the puck a lot, not the kind of quick-passing game our first two lines operate with. So from a chemistry standpoint, I think its better.

Second, the guy is a powerplay wizard, so this may give him more focus.

PS, he reads plays well and could become a great penalty killer ...

I think Kristo and Hextall should be swapped. Both are great players, but I think Kristo's skill set better matches the top line with Gregoire and Knight. Hextall, conversely, matches up better with Brock Nelson and Mario Lamoureux on the third line. The third line is a bit grittier, but can still score. Hextall is exceptional at scoring in dirty places and in open spaces after receiving the puck with after a great pass. Nelson could set up a lot of goals for Hextall and Brett can also match Mario's defensive mentality on that same line.

I also wonder if part of Kristo's line placement is because of his off-season mishap...a minor punishment if you will. Not that the third line is bad, but Kristo is coming off an awesome rookie campaign with the accolades he raked in on his World Jr. run last year, so you'd think he'd be on a line with more playmakers like himself instead of one with a grinder (Mario Lamoureux) and a sniper (Brett Hextall).

I think Kristo and Hextall should be swapped. Both are great players, but I think Kristo's skill set better matches the top line with Gregoire and Knight. Hextall, conversely, matches up better with Brock Nelson and Mario Lamoureux on the third line. The third line is a bit grittier, but can still score. Hextall is exceptional at scoring in dirty places and in open spaces after receiving the puck with after a great pass. Nelson could set up a lot of goals for Hextall and Brett can also match Mario's defensive mentality on that same line.

I also wonder if part of Kristo's line placement is because of his off-season mishap...a minor punishment if you will. Not that the third line is bad, but Kristo is coming off an awesome rookie campaign with the accolades he raked in on his World Jr. run last year, so you'd think he'd be on a line with more playmakers like himself instead of one with a grinder (Mario Lamoureux) and a sniper (Brett Hextall).

I disagree on the "playmaker" label for Kristo - Kristo is a finisher and when he gets the puck below the blueline he is usually the one taking the shot - not looking for a pass/play to be made.

I have the interview between Scott Williams and Bruce McLeod but I can't for the life of me figure out how to download it to my hard drive so I can post it on YouTube. I also have permission from Scott to post it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?