SiouxSports.com Forum

Penn State 'close" to adding hockey

star2city

Altoona Mirror: Penn State close to adding hockey

The first step is acquiring private funds to build a facility that would seat 6,000-8,000 people. The cost for that is expected to be between $60 million and $80 million. Most, if not all, of that money would come from Penn State alum Terry Pegula.

Pegula is the founder of East Resources, a natural gas operator, and in May he sold his company to Royal Dutch Shell for $4.7 billion. Pegula, said to be an avid hockey fan, could not be reached for comment Thursday.

The Mirror has learned that, in the past few weeks, Pegula and Penn State athletic director Tim Curley visited the University of Minnesota hockey facility and went to Notre Dame to examine the new arena being built there.

Pennlive blog

Two months ago, I told you about a billionaire PSU grad named Terry Pegula who's a big hockey fan and has been a youth-league coach. Pegula, a former oil wildcatter originally from Scranton, just made a profit of $4.7 billion from Northern Tier land he sold to Royal Dutch Shell. The energy corporation spent so much on it because it is a huge section of the Marcellus Shale tract from which it plans to extract valuable natural gas.

I will believe it when I see it.

This time, I think it is real. A hockey-loving alum comes into $4.7 Billion from Marcellus Shale rights: $80 million is nothing but chump change for him to play with.

Delaney (the Big Ten Commish) is seeing $ signs with the additional programming for the Big Ten Network.

Nittany: DI Hockey coming to a PennSt rink

In the fall of 2008, Penn State hired a Kansas City-based firm to design a potential new rink, which would hold 6000 fans and, more importantly, allow Penn State

The 6,000 referenced was what they were looking at possibly building in 2008 but finances did not allow it to happen. The few articles that have come out in the last few days have mentioned 6-8,000. And I am sure they are still pretty early in the discussion phase and trying to work out the donation that they haven't even gotten to truely discussing those types of details.

I think a nice 6000-8000 seat arena is way more than enough seats for a college hockey venue, especially starting out....unless you are a proven winner with a great fanbase.

I think the arena's amenities are as important as anything to a recruit and to a fan. That's a part of what makes UND so attractive...not necessarily the seats, but what all comes with being in an areana like REA.

So, I suppose they'll field a men's and women's team to deal with Title IX issues? Do they understand that hockey is an expensive sport, even if you do have a nice arena? That said, they'll be in a good location for conference and non-conference games.

So, I suppose they'll field a men's and women's team to deal with Title IX issues? Do they understand that hockey is an expensive sport, even if you do have a nice arena? That said, they'll be in a good location for conference and non-conference games.

That's why the interest has piqued with the potential billionaire donor.

That's why the interest has piqued with the potential billionaire donor.

He's only supposedly stepped up to build the barn. Outfitting and financially supporting two D1 hockey teams isn't cheap, even for a billionaire especially over time. That said, I think Penn State would be in a good position to seriously recruit talent from the northeast, as well as support from its alumni network. I work with a few Penn State alums, and even though they're not really college hockey fans, they're pretty excited about the prospect of a D1 Nittany Lions hockey program.

He's only supposedly stepped up to build the barn. Outfitting and financially supporting two D1 hockey teams isn't cheap, even for a billionaire especially over time. That said, I think Penn State would be in a good position to seriously recruit talent from the northeast, as well as support from its alumni network. I work with a few Penn State alums, and even though they're not really college hockey fans, they're pretty excited about the prospect of a D1 Nittany Lions hockey program.

Geez, how tough can their uniforms be? White helmet, blue jersey, white breezers, and no fricking logo...u-g-l-y...

Detroit News: CCHA Commissioner very interested in Penn State

"They are a very attractive choice -- very attractive," CCHA commissioner Tom Anastos told The Detroit News on Tuesday. "They're in a different market than we're in, more and more U.S. players are on college rosters, and there's tremendous growth of the sport in Pennsylvania."

Anastos said there is no timeline for extending an invitation to Penn State, but confirmed he has exchanged e-mails with Penn State president Graham Spanier on the topic. Anastos also said Penn State officials recently toured hockey facilities at CCHA member schools.

"Obviously there's some interesting dynamics," Anastos said. "Certainly there's some commonality."

I would hope Atlantic Hockey would offer UAH a spot.

If you own your own building, it wouldn't be that tough to make enough money off men's hockey to support a women's team.

Yeah a guy would have to think so...

I don't think Minnesota would ever want to leave the WCHA, Alvarez has made it pretty clear that he would like to see the Big 10 league happen though. But if Lucia would have a vote in the decision I would almost guarantee he would shoot it down. But in the end for Minnesota I suppose it's up to Maturi, and who knows what that idiot would do.

According to tonights Hartman column, Delany wants Big Ten hockey once another school - Penn State - is added.

Delany didn't see the Big Ten going to nine conference games in football in the near future, but one thing that might force that move is the big money schools having to pay to attract nonconference opponents. The Big Ten commissioner didn't see the 18-game conference basketball schedule being extended. But he (Delany) did say that on the table is a possible Big Ten hockey championship, once another school adds hockey as a sport. Five conference schools now play the sport: Minnesota and Wisconsin in the WCHA, and Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association.

I don't think Minnesota would ever want to leave the WCHA, Alvarez has made it pretty clear that he would like to see the Big 10 league happen though. But if Lucia would have a vote in the decision I would almost guarantee he would shoot it down. But in the end for Minnesota I suppose it's up to Maturi, and who knows what that idiot would do.

Yeah, and the Big 10 hockey league would be about as strong as FB, one or two decent teams and the rest stinkers. They would likely look at adding a few non Big 10 teams to the mix though, Notre Dame, Miami etc. to fill out a schedule, that might be interesting.

Yeah, and the Big 10 hockey league would be about as strong as FB, one or two decent teams and the rest stinkers. They would likely look at adding a few non Big 10 teams to the mix though, Notre Dame, Miami etc. to fill out a schedule, that might be interesting.

With the strained relationship between the Big Ten and Notre Dame, I doubt a BTHC would ever include Notre Dame unless Notre Dame went all in. Why would the Big Ten help elevate Notre Dame's hockey program? The relationship between Notre Dame and individual schools in the Big Ten may be cordial, but the relationship between the Big Ten office and Notre Dame is not. If a BTHC formed, 6 members would help continue rivalry scheduling: that way Michigan, Michigan State, and Minnesota could keep playing it's in-state schools and other rivals (UM-UND , UW-UND etc).

- Warning: what follows is only speculation of the how the dominoes would fall in the event of a BTHC --

If a BTHC forms, with the amount of money that Notre Dame is pouring into it's program and new arena, Notre Dame isn't going to be satisfied playing mostly DII CCHA schedule - that type of schedule isn't telegenic. Could see Notre Dame and Miami pulling other full DI's Bowling Green and W Mich out of the CCHA to start their own league of full DI schools. Ideally, they would add teams to the east, but there aren't high enough profile schools to add. So they go west and bring in Denver and CC (Denver would insist on CC). Without UM and UW in the WCHA, Denver and CC would be looking for other options, and a Notre Dame conference could be reason enough to bolt. If they go, Omaha would too. UND would then have to seriously consider it, otherwise it would be left in a Northern Sun hockey conference.

Notre Dame

Miami

W Mich

Bowling Green

Denver

CC

UNO

UND

The above league would get some decent attention on regional cable sports networks.

Without Minnesota and Wisconsin, Michigan Tech would almost assuredly move to the CCHA with other Mich schools, so Mich Tech and UAF get swapped.

The WCHA could be left with:

UAA

UAF

UMD

SCSU

MSU-M

Bemidji

and MSU-Moorhead gets added

The CCHA could be left with:

Mich Tech

N Mich

LSSU

Ferris

Wayne St - adds hockey again

UAH

Lindenwood (add's DI men's hockey, to match women's)

If the Big 10 wants to form their own hockey conference, why couldn't the rest of the conferences say that "if you do it, we won't play you, but we'll give the two Alaska schools and Huntsville exceptions if they want to play you. When those three schools travel to your venue, you'll have to pay them a 'football-like' body bag fee."

With a 6 team conference, they'd have to play each other quite a few times to fill out their schedule. So, a team like Minnesota has to jump on an airplane for every series except Wisconsin. Right now, they bus to Mankato, St. Cloud, Duluth, Bemidji, Grand Forks and Wisconsin. So, if they wanted to fill out a non-conference schedule, each one of the Big Ten schools would have to travel up to Alaska twice each year and to Huntsville once in addition to flying to most of their conference games. I suppose Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame & Michigan State would be able to bus when then play each other, but Minnesota, Wisconsin & Penn State would have quite a bit of air travel.

Would the other conferences come together to shut the BTHC out of their schedules? It would be fun to see what would happen if they did. :)

So these are the rules for the men's side.

In addition to this....for Minnesota, Wisconsin & Ohio State, none of our women's teams will play you either. So, you three will have to play each other about 10 times to fill out your schedule. Or maybe you will just have to drop women's hockey all together. :D