SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Ryan Mantha getting some praise by The Hockey News

http://www.thehockey...battles-haters/

Ryan Mantha, D ā€“ Indiana Ice (USHL)

The behemoth 6-foot-5, 225-pound defenseman is better known for his shutdown abilities, but Mantha also popped in two assists for his second multi-point effort of the year shortly after joining the Ice via trade from Sioux City. The University of North Dakota commit is a great crease-clearer and penalty killer. Draft eligible in 2014.

Geez, I didn't realize he was so huge.

He'll probably get called for elbowing just for checking opposing players since his elbows will be near their heads.

How would people rank our upcoming recruits? I'm not qualified to do such a thing but I would imagine Schmaltz is the biggest name coming in but thats about as much as I know.

Its a good class, with a nice mix. Schmaltz is the only blue chipper- he's petty much a lock as a later first rounder.

Its a good class, with a nice mix. Schmaltz is the only blue chipper- he's petty much a lock as a later first rounder.

I was just running through gersich's numbers....I thought he was having a better year. He's like 6th on their team in scoring. Is he a younger one on that team? That Milano kid is killing it, he's got like 59 in 39 games where gersich has like 25 in 41.

I was just running through gersich's numbers....I thought he was having a better year. He's like 6th on their team in scoring. Is he a younger one on that team? That Milano kid is killing it, he's got like 59 in 39 games where gersich has like 25 in 41.

Gersich will turn 18 in July and it looks like there are only 4 or 5 younger than him on the team. From the games I've seen of Gersich he is a good skater and got some good skill and has a chance of being a pretty high end player but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a year in the USHL before coming in just because of the roster situation.

The newest Sioux commit Zach Yon had 4 goals and 1 assist in a 10-2 win for Roseau yesterday. He will play a year or two in the USHL but the thing that has impressed me about him is that he seems to be a natural goal scorer and when he gets a chance he doesn't miss it very often.

Christian Evers gets a goal and a penalty well getting an even rating.

Chris Wilkie assists the lone goal for Tri-City but an -2 rating.

Ryan Mantha doenst get a point but a +2 rating for the winning Indiana team.

Jack Rowe has a goal but -1 rating.

Omaha and Lincoln were in a shoot-out in a 7 to 5 Omaha win.

Tucker Poolman had 2 goals and a plus 2 rating on 6 shots also had a 2 minute fighting minor.

John Simonson had 2 assists and a plus 2 rating with 8 shots in the game.

Hayden Shaw gets a assist and 2 PIMs in Cam Johnson's first lost as a for Waterloo. Cam gave up 3 goals on 36 shots.

Christian Cakebread gets -1 rating and serve a 2 minute bench minor.

Charlie Pelnik is even and 2 minutes of penatly going into overtime.

Rhett Gardner is even with two penalty minutes as well

Christian Evers gets a goal and a penalty well getting an even rating.

Chris Wilkie assists the lone goal for Tri-City but an -2 rating.

Ryan Mantha doenst get a point but a +2 rating for the winning Indiana team.

Jack Rowe has a goal but -1 rating.

Omaha and Lincoln were in a shoot-out in a 7 to 5 Omaha win.

Tucker Poolman had 2 goals and a plus 2 rating on 6 shots also had a 2 minute fighting minor.

John Simonson had 2 assists and a plus 2 rating with 8 shots in the game.

Hayden Shaw gets a assist and 2 PIMs in Cam Johnson's first lost as a for Waterloo. Cam gave up 3 goals on 36 shots.

Christian Cakebread gets -1 rating and serve a 2 minute bench minor.

Charlie Pelnik is even and 2 minutes of penatly going into overtime.

Rhett Gardner is even with two penalty minutes as well

Again, thanks for these updates. We appreciate it.

Tri-City gets shutout 6 to 0 as Austin Poganski gets a -1 rating with 2 shots and 2 penalty minutes.

And Chris Wilkie is even with a shot and 4 penalty minutes.

Ryan Mantha scores for the winning Indiana team with a +2 rating and 2 penalty minutes.

Jack Rowe goes -1 with 3 shots and 2 pims.

Nick Schmaltz is even with 3 shots and 2 pims.

John Simonson had a goal and an assist as Lincoln beats Fargo in overtime. +1 on 5 shots and 2pims.

Same game Christian Cakebread also scores on his only shot in the game.

Cam Johnson is on the bench for waterloo and Hayden Shaw goes -1 with 2 shots.

Dayns Chartrand doesnt do much for flin flon.

Gersich will turn 18 in July and it looks like there are only 4 or 5 younger than him on the team. From the games I've seen of Gersich he is a good skater and got some good skill and has a chance of being a pretty high end player but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a year in the USHL before coming in just because of the roster situation.

The newest Sioux commit Zach Yon had 4 goals and 1 assist in a 10-2 win for Roseau yesterday. He will play a year or two in the USHL but the thing that has impressed me about him is that he seems to be a natural goal scorer and when he gets a chance he doesn't miss it very often.

He's the best player I've seen in section 8 A or AA. Has great stick handling ability and some nice size and yet is quick. Didn't see much of his shot when he played EGF. I also think a year of USHL couldn't hurt.

Christian Evers gets a -2 rating in a loss to Indiana. Ryan Mantha gets the same for his Indiana team.

Christian Cakebread doesnt play tonight. Does anyone know the his status?

John Simonson gets another goal and assist in the win versus Fargo.

Chris Wilkie takes 3 shots and took a penalty.

Nick Schmaltz has a -1 rating with 4 shots he also took a penalty.

Christian Evers gets a -2 rating in a loss to Indiana. Ryan Mantha gets the same for his Indiana team.

Christian Cakebread doesnt play tonight. Does anyone know the his status?

John Simonson gets another goal and assist in the win versus Fargo.

Chris Wilkie takes 3 shots and took a penalty.

Nick Schmaltz has a -1 rating with 4 shots he also took a penalty.

He was on hand Sunday in a suit and tie. Foot still wrapped like Saturday night and still on crutches. I didn't get to speak to him to see how the x-rays came back.

He was on hand Sunday in a suit and tie. Foot still wrapped like Saturday night and still on crutches. I didn't get to speak to him to see how the x-rays came back.

Yikes. Get well soon.

Cakebread...possibly the greatest name on the back of a jersey. Ever. Now if he'd only been Cakeeater...it could quite possibly outpace Oshie jerseys in a few years.

I honestly have no idea what type of player he will be when he gets here. Haven't seen him play since he was at Central. Anyone seen him recently?

I haven't seen him sense Central as well but I can guarantee that he will still have a lot of grit in his play. But it does look like he has some offensive capabilities, at least as of late. I don't think he will come in and contribute goals early in his career but is going to be a nice addition to the checking line in his first year. I think it was about two weeks ago that he had at least two fighting majors as well.

Simonson was in Fargo last Sat and Sunday against the Force. He opened his team's scoring both nights, but honestly I didn't notice him a lot during the middle of games. Cheering for the opposition can certainly do that for you, though. Plus, I watched most of Saturday's game from the glass at one end of the ice, which, while exciting, makes it tougher to pick out the little things that a player is doing.