SiouxSports.com Forum

The Power of the Sioux Jersey

ksixpack

Some dude at the Phoenix Open was shown several times on TV just now wearing your jersey, was pounding beers but so was I when I was there

Correct. Got a picture text from buddy of this guy early this afternoon. The guy was wearing a green Sioux hockey jersey and was in the stands on the infamous par 3 16th. CBS Sports showed him numerous times. My buddy from Seattle even texted me to say he saw the "Sioux guy" at the PHX Open.

I was living in Atlanta in 2000 and I saw a Sioux hockey jersey hanging in a sports store in a mall where I lived. I was surprised to see it so I went in to look at it. While I was looking at it an individual came up to me and started asking me questions about the logo and jersey. That individual was Native American and we stood there and talked for about a half hour. He told me about himself and his tribe and I told him all about the history of UND regarding programs we had and about the name and logo. After that encounter I have always wondered why that type of a connection couldn't be made on a larger level with the name and logo. The only thing I ever hear is the negative angle.

Did you tell him how bad North Dakotans have treated the Native Americans and the jokes they have made about them. Don't say that this does not happen and never has since I have seen it my entire life here. Simply, did you tell him the whole story? Did you tell him about all the wonderful comments that were in the paper ripping the Lakota, Nakota, Dakota, and other native groups? Comments that no one would sign their names to. Did you ask him about the Cherokees and how they were driven out of Georgia?

• Downvote 12

Did you tell him how bad North Dakotans have treated the Native Americans and the jokes they have made about them. Don't say that this does not happen and never has since I have seen it my entire life here. Simply, did you tell him the whole story? Did you tell him about all the wonderful comments that were in the paper ripping the Lakota, Nakota, Dakota, and other native groups? Comments that no one would sign their names to. Did you ask him about the Cherokees and how they were driven out of Georgia?

Sorry Lomack but that's a silly argument. You can find random examples of crude people of all ethnicities treating others poorly. It happens everywhere, always has. But, that has nothing to do with the respectful way UND has used the Sioux name for decades. Or, the incredible educational opportunities and programs for Native Americans on the UND campus. The history of treatment of the Native Americans over the last 200 years isn't always something to be proud of. But, the use of and respect for the Sioux nickname by UND and Sioux fans has always been about connecting our athletic teams to a strong, proud and regional people group we want to be identified with. Using a few random anonymous postings to justify your argument shows how silly it is.

• Upvote 3

Sorry Lomack but that's a silly argument. You can find random examples of crude people of all ethnicities treating others poorly. It happens everywhere, always has. But, that has nothing to do with the respectful way UND has used the Sioux name for decades. Or, the incredible educational opportunities and programs for Native Americans on the UND campus. The history of treatment of the Native Americans over the last 200 years isn't always something to be proud of. But, the use of and respect for the Sioux nickname by UND and Sioux fans has always been about connecting our athletic teams to a strong, proud and regional people group we want to be identified with. Using a few random anonymous postings to justify your argument shows how silly it is.

Here Here

member since '06 and your first post was worth the wait. well said, Sioux_FF.

Thanks for the good laugh. Keep telling yourself this until you believe it. Sammy Sioux was real respectful now wasn't he?

Spot on. Great post.

Thanks for the good laugh. Keep telling yourself this until you believe it. Sammy Sioux was real respectful now wasn't he?

You and your ilk have gotten your wish and the Sioux name and logo will be gone soon...In about 2 years, no one will be talking about the Sioux anymore and then you'll have to get into line to have your voice heard with the thousand other victims...Sadly, all of the bunk described as the negative effects on Native Americans will be found untrue as nothing will change for you or anyone else when the nickname and logo goes away. Unintended consequences really suck, so hope you the best in getting rid of the anger in your life.

BobIwabuchiFan

• Upvote 1

I am from GF and now live in the Boston area. I wear my Sioux jersey with pride when I attend Hockey East and Bruins games. It's amazing how much respect Bostonians have for Sioux hockey and the jersey. I will be at tomorrow's night Beanpot wearing the Best jersey in all of hockey!

Fighting Sioux Forever!

I am from GF and now live in the Boston area. I wear my Sioux jersey with pride when I attend Hockey East and Bruins games. It's amazing how much respect Bostonians have for Sioux hockey and the jersey. I will be at tomorrow's night Beanpot wearing the Best jersey in all of hockey!

Fighting Sioux Forever!

Nice!

Correct. Got a picture text from buddy of this guy early this afternoon. The guy was wearing a green Sioux hockey jersey and was in the stands on the infamous par 3 16th. CBS Sports showed him numerous times. My buddy from Seattle even texted me to say he saw the "Sioux guy" at the PHX Open.

feb5_phil_600x399.jpg

Where's Waldo.

Also was watching ESPN Sportscenter a couple days ago. They were breaking the news of Jerry Soan, Utah Jazz coach, stepping down. Video footage of Sloan game coaching had a guy with a UND T-shirt right behind him...looked like this UND guy was front row behind players bench.

• 3 weeks later...

Way late on this...

Last November, some friends and I traveled to Omaha for the Saturday UND vs. UNO game. I found tickets on Craigslist and made plans to meet the seller in the hotel lobby. A friend and I changed into our Sioux jerseys and headed down to the lobby to get our tickets. While we were waiting, a couple of pilots and flight attendants arrived on the airport shuttle van (apparently the Omaha airport was nearby).

One of the flight attendants saw our Sioux jerseys as she walked in the door, ran over to us and said, "OH MY GOSH! You're wearing Sioux jerseys!" It turns out that she was a UND graduate. She said that she was surprised to run into Sioux fans in Omaha and asked what we were doing there. When we told her that the Sioux were playing that night she lit up and said that she was definitely going to get tickets for the game. Before heading to the check-in desk, she whipped out her cell phone and asked if she could pose for a photo with us in our Sioux jerseys to show her family and friends.

We ran into her again in the hotel elevator later that night and she said that she had a great time at the game despite the Sioux loss.

To make the post a little more current...

Brad Schlossman plans to put together a fun blog post about the random places UND/Sioux jerseys and apparel have been spotted. Photos can be mailed to bschlossman@gfherald.com

• 6 months later...

I don't know where this is going, but bear with me. Whenever I travel around the area, I tend to always wear "UND" and/ or "Fighting Sioux" apparel. And in addition I am always conducting a an informal unscientific mental survey as to what teams are being promoted by others. Last night I attended the Black Eyed Peas concert in Minot with about 16,000 other folks from all across the region. I swear on my Grandmother's grave (and I tried to be very objective and fair as I could be), it was 50 to 1 UND to NDSU. Honest! The whole night I only saw one 30-something woman wearing an NDSU Bison Jacket. On the flipside, UND and the Fighting Sioux logo abounded --hats, jackets, jerseys, t-shirts, sweatshirts, you name it! Like I said, I don't know what this means. Maybe Bison fans don't like the Black Eyes Peas or rock concerts in general. Or maybe there are more Sioux fans to Bison fans in the Minot area. Who knows? But, no matter how you slice it, it was a proud day to be representing UND. :D

I have enough Fighting Sioux apparel to wear something different everyday for at least 2 months so I wear it quite often and I swear somebody says something to me about the school or the name everyday I wear something Sioux. I have many items still in plastic bags that probably won't get worn for a long time.

I don't know where this is going, but bear with me. Whenever I travel around the area, I tend to always wear "UND" and/ or "Fighting Sioux" apparel. And in addition I am always conducting a an informal unscientific mental survey as to what teams are being promoted by others. Last night I attended the Black Eyed Peas concert in Minot with about 16,000 other folks from all across the region. I swear on my Grandmother's grave (and I tried to be very objective and fair as I could be), it was 50 to 1 UND to NDSU. Honest! The whole night I only saw one 30-something woman wearing an NDSU Bison Jacket. On the flipside, UND and the Fighting Sioux logo abounded --hats, jackets, jerseys, t-shirts, sweatshirts, you name it! Like I said, I don't know what this means. Maybe Bison fans don't like the Black Eyes Peas or rock concerts in general. Or maybe there are more Sioux fans to Bison fans in the Minot area. Who knows? But, no matter how you slice it, it was a proud day to be representing UND. :D

Josh Duhamel is a known Sioux fan!! He has promoted them in his movies. :D

I have enough Fighting Sioux apparel to wear something different everyday for at least 2 months so I wear it quite often and I swear somebody says something to me about the school or the name everyday I wear something Sioux. I have many items still in plastic bags that probably won't get worn for a long time.

That sounds like a waste of money especially with the name change coming up.

You'll never understand until something like it happens to your favorite team. Just because the nickname goes does not mean the memories and pride we have for it will die with it. There will still be more Fighting Sioux apparrell being worn around this state and country than any other N.D. college team long after the nickname is changed. Fighting Sioux pride never dies... just like, I am sure, you would never quit wearing Bison gear if PETA somehow ruled the college sports world and deemed it hostile and abusive and made your school change it. I know it's a bit of a strawman argument, but, hey, it works on a certain level, and it's the closest analogy I could find, given the circumstances. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Would you say that to Dartmouth fans who still wear Dartmouth Indians shirts to their games and to class? And their name was dropped in the 70's. The same with Marquette, Miami (Ohio), and other schools are proud of their old nicknames. If you want to buy stuff that says NDAC Farmers go for it. :lol:

Would you say that to Dartmouth fans who still wear Dartmouth Indians shirts to their games and to class? And their name was dropped in the 70's. The same with Marquette, Miami (Ohio), and other schools are proud of their old nicknames. If you want to buy stuff that says NDAC Farmers go for it. :lol:

I could dig the retro look. But wearing it obsessively, hell no. I'm an NDSU fan. If we were the farmers still, I'm going to take a wild guess I'd wear farmers stuff. If NDSU became the.....Aggies or Farmers(round 2), I wouldn't throw away my Bison stuff. But would it be worn to every game? No, thats just being dumb. I doubt you see many Oilers shirts at Titans games.....