SiouxSports.com Forum

New Logo (with pics)

Big A HG

OK, so I kind of grasped Fetch's idea he posted in the Random Nickname thread about the Fighting Pheasants.

Well, everyone knows, pheasants aren't the badasses of the animal kingdom, nor do they put up much of a fight in the wild....UNTIL NOW.

Here's a little something I whipped up in the wee hours of the morning. Pheasants are a big part of North Dakota's makeup on a national level, and are actually a pretty neat bird. Everyone wants something that is terrifying, unique, cool, etc. all in one package. Trying to get that is pretty much as slim as it gets...other than keeping Fighting Sioux (and all this is, of course, 2nd to our current nickname). So, why not take this awesome animal, transform it into our own mean, badass logo and nickname. There are a lot of weak nicknames in college athletics, and no one criticizes them for it (Cardinals, Ducks, Gophers, etc...ok, so we rip on Gophers, but we all know that when someone says Gophers, we immediately identify the U of Minn).

Whatcha think? (And yes, I made this. Consider it my intellectual property. Please ask before using...not sure what you'd use it for anyways)

fightnpheasantsml.png

On our current home hockey jerseys:

pheasantsjersey.png

Are you suggesting the new name for the UND Fighting Sioux be the UND Fighting Chicken and have a logo to match? UND should just stick to UND and not have a nickname or logo. Anything else ends up being disrespectful to the Sioux

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I refuse to change my name! I don't give a rat's rump what the NCAA thinks! However, it appears that the time has come to move on. I recall telling people that the only computer they would need would be the IBM AT! Like it or not times change. Personnally I think this entire controversy is predicated on pretty shakey grounds, what should not have been a political issue became one. They might be able to take the logo off the jersey, but hopefully the pride still remains! With all due respect to the folks as Red River - I think they have something with the Roughrider mascot. I hope that the NCAA won't find that offensive to the Roosevelt family! The pride of north can also be found in the spirit of the Roughrider! It hurts, but lets keep our focus on the future.

I refuse to change my name! I don't give a rat's rump what the NCAA thinks! However, it appears that the time has come to move on. I recall telling people that the only computer they would need would be the IBM AT! Like it or not times change. Personnally I think this entire controversy is predicated on pretty shakey grounds, what should not have been a political issue became one. They might be able to take the logo off the jersey, but hopefully the pride still remains! With all due respect to the folks as Red River - I think they have something with the Roughrider mascot. I hope that the NCAA won't find that offensive to the Roosevelt family! The pride of north can also be found in the spirit of the Roughrider! It hurts, but lets keep our focus on the future.

UND should have bought a Mac. Could have avoided all of these PC problems.

In that case, you'll have to go with North Dakota's other state nickname: Rough Riders.

Flickertails has been done and shelved already; Peace Gardeners just wouldn't seem to garner much opponent respect.

This university is still a proud institution that respresents the entire state and it's history.

With what has transpired, UND still needs to honor it's ND hertitage and legacy...Rough Riders is my first choice.

If the NAs feel dishonored by the Sioux name, then give the new nickname to a group of people who truly helped forge this state from the beginning. Teddy R would approve and I would too.

Roughriders is sound in that it has strong state ties, and nobody will ever object (Cavalry is sound for the same reasons). It's not a rodent or small game bird, and not some ephemeral crap like "Blizzard" or "Wild" that will be hard to identify with.

Go Roughriders!

Roughriders is sound in that it has strong state ties, and nobody will ever object (Cavalry is sound for the same reasons). It's not a rodent or small game bird, and not some ephemeral crap like "Blizzard" or "Wild" that will be hard to identify with.

Go Roughriders!

You're sure that native Americans would be okay with "cavalry"? I think not.

Rough Riders would pass because it's the state nickname.

Cavalry would never pass the sensitivity test.

cavalry wouldn't pass?

is cavalry now a native american word?

militaries across the world have had cavalries for over 2500 years and the word comes from the french.

if cavalry wouldn't pass, then does that mean infantry wouldn't either?

cavalry wouldn't pass?

is cavalry now a native american word?

militaries across the world have had cavalries for over 2500 years and the word comes from the french.

if cavalry wouldn't pass, then does that mean infantry wouldn't either?

Nowadays, probably not.

Pheasants are not a native bird to ND... from what I remember learning at the Heritage Center in Bismarck.

I liked the idea of the Dakota North Stars when I heard it a few years ago. Use the same logo as when they were in MN. If nothing else it would be a treat to "thank" the Minnesota fans wearing the Northstar gear for "supporting" UND.

Pheasants are not a native bird to ND... from what I remember learning at the Heritage Center in Bismarck.

I liked the idea of the Dakota North Stars when I heard it a few years ago. Use the same logo as when they were in MN. If nothing else it would be a treat to "thank" the Minnesota fans wearing the Northstar gear for "supporting" UND.

They are imported from China. And that was before Wal-Mart ever existed, too.

I think some sort of esoteric symbol should be designed that represents strength/courage/bravery or similar attributes and that could become our identity. We could be called "the team formerly known as the Fighting Sioux." Then in a few years we could sort of phase out the symbol and just become the Fighting Sioux again. It seemed to work for Prince.

At the end of the day, the new name will probably be some stupid-ass, harmless animal, like a chipmunk or some marketing slogan nobody can figure out ala "The Wild". Screw them, I have enough Sioux gear to wear for the next 200 years. :angry: And I will not buy anything with a "replacement" name or logo. :lol: