SiouxSports.com Forum

New Logo (with pics)

Big A HG

The state and the people of ND chose Flickertails for a reason when the university was started. It's not about toughness or how bad ass we can make a logo. It's about tradition. That's what makes Sioux so important to me. It's part of the University's and State's Tradition. Flickertails was the original, why not stick with our roots rather than pick a new arbitrary name. Yes, pheasants has roots in ND, but is it part of the monicor of the state, i.e. tradition?

Like I said...IMO

1. Fighting Sioux

2. Fighting Soo

3. Flickertails

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The state and the people of ND chose Flickertails for a reason when the university was started. It's not about toughness or how bad ass we can make a logo. It's about tradition. That's what makes Sioux so important to me. It's part of the University's and State's Tradition. Flickertails was the original, why not stick with our roots rather than pick a new arbitrary name. Yes, pheasants has roots in ND, but is it part of the monicor of the state, i.e. tradition?

Like I said...IMO

1. Fighting Sioux

2. Fighting Soo

3. Flickertails

Quit feeding the troll. He has 14 posts and has been a member since 2006. Go away! Everyone set up your blockers so he will go away.

I like it because:

1. We keep the Green/Black colors.

2. Pheasants are an awesome bird, fast and cunning. Pretty mean too.

3. How sweet would that look on the side of a football helmet! I might actually go to a game!

4. We could actually have a mascot at games.

I dislike it because:

1. It has to many syllables. So it's tricky to work into chants/cheers. (A few innovative chants would be needed).

2. Pheasants doesn't have a ring to it like some other nicknames do. Maybe use the logo and use a alternate name for Pheasants. (see point 1)

3. Pheasants are more prominent in Western ND. But still in ND nonetheless.

4. I'm not a fan of change, I like to keep things the way they are. :: sadface ::

But with a few fine touches, this has all the potential in the world, according to me :silly:. To each his own, right?

Quit feeding the troll. He has 14 posts and has been a member since 2006. Go away! Everyone set up your blockers so he will go away.

:silly::huh: Troll I may be, but don't judge a book by it's cover. I've spent my whole life as a loyal Sioux fan and played 5 years of FB in GF with a championship ring to show for it! Opinions are opinions, but don't put me in the same group as MplsBison!!! that's just rude. Living on the west coast, Siouxsports.com keeps those of us from a far in tune with a loyal group of fans and thier opinions. I have mine you have yours. that's what they are. I bleed green for the University of N. Dakota. Don't discredit my opinion because of a lack of posts, that's just silly.

OK, so i tried. :silly:

Ultimately, I agree with everyone else, it isn't as great of a nickname as Fighting Sioux. Nothing will ever roll off our tongues as easy and proudly as that, though...

I thought it looked good. I like it a lot better than some stupid name like Flickertails. I have other words that I could describe that name but this is a family forum and I save my coarse language when golfing...

:silly::huh: Troll I may be, but don't judge a book by it's cover. I've spent my whole life as a loyal Sioux fan and played 5 years of FB in GF with a championship ring to show for it! Opinions are opinions, but don't put me in the same group as MplsBison!!! that's just rude. Living on the west coast, Siouxsports.com keeps those of us from a far in tune with a loyal group of fans and thier opinions. I have mine you have yours. that's what they are. I bleed green for the University of N. Dakota. Don't discredit my opinion because of a lack of posts, that's just silly.

So are you talking about Central, Red River or East Side?

Every time we bring up a new logo I'm going to continue to throw out Flickertails. It's not much different than the pheasants in terms of edge, but it does have history with the university and the state and would be unique. I don't have the abilities on photoshop, but if a pheasant logo can be made to look mean why can't a Flickertail??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Richards...ity-Szmurlo.jpg

Maybe Freddy would be willing to move from the ND State Fair to Grand Forks to become our new mascot. :silly:

P7270083.JPG

So are you talking about Central, Red River or East Side?

No, my ring is gold with 14 diamond chips on it from 2001.

Obviously, flickertails is my opinion. Just trying to be a voice of reason. Tradition of the school means more to me than anything else. Stay true to the school not to those of us sitting at computers or bar stools. A name that represents the state and the university seems more logical than something like the Blizzard, Norse, Nakota etc.

That's all I'm trying to get across here. IMHO

A name that represents the state and the university seems more logical ...

In that case, you'll have to go with North Dakota's other state nickname: Rough Riders.

Flickertails has been done and shelved already; Peace Gardeners just wouldn't seem to garner much opponent respect.

No, my ring is gold with 14 diamond chips on it from 2001.

Obviously, flickertails is my opinion. Just trying to be a voice of reason. Tradition of the school means more to me than anything else. Stay true to the school not to those of us sitting at computers or bar stools. A name that represents the state and the university seems more logical than something like the Blizzard, Norse, Nakota etc.

That's all I'm trying to get across here. IMHO

Great 2001 was a great season for UND football, but seriously "FlickerTails" is a horrible nickname and will not be the replacement for the Fighting Sioux if SHBoE pulls the name on the Fighting Sioux. Flickertails is almost as bad of a nickname as my first college the UIU Peacocks... Seriously!

i didn't understand why he got on you about your other post; seemed like a fair post to me.

i think it's funny that he called you a troll when you're probably one of only a few people who ever post on here who was actually an athlete at und.

Great 2001 was a great season for UND football, but seriously "FlickerTails" is a horrible nickname and will not be the replacement for the Fighting Sioux if SHBoE pulls the name on the Fighting Sioux. Flickertails is almost as bad of a nickname as my first college the UIU Peacocks... Seriously!

In all honesty, you are probably right. I will always be a Fighting Sioux, but conceed that unless prayers are answered that is likely not going to represent UND much longer. As an alum I just hope we pick something that means something. I agree with the earlier post, roughriders makes sense, but that's the key it makes sense. Like flickertails or not, it does make sense.

Peacocks eh goon? I could whip up another logo if you like... :silly:

Would that make everyone that may defeat the team ... pheasant pluckers? (Careful if you say it out-loud quickly.)

Concept status: FAIL.

Defensive breakdown? Pheasant D Flew the Coop

Offense problems? Pheasant Offense Lays an Egg

Officials hose us? Hakstol, Pheasants Cry FOWL!

Last minute heroics? A Pheasant SURPRISE!

The blessed chant: F the Pheasants actually rolls well off the tongue.

Bad season? Pheasant Season turned Turkey

Male Pheasants are called Cocks. Do we HAVE to go over the chants for this factoid?

I guess I'm rambling when I could have said "HELL FING NO"

No offense Big A Hg

Well now that he nickname is gone, like it or not we have to settle for second best. There's a reason why all the "unique" nicknames aren't taken, they suck. There will ALWAYS be SOMETHING to make fun of with ANY nickname. The sooner people get over that the better. Not trying to stir the pot, just trying say, that nothing beats the Fighting Sioux, so be prepared for a possible nickname that isn't all that and a bag of chips.

Defensive breakdown? Pheasant D Flew the Coop

Offense problems? Pheasant Offense Lays an Egg

Officials hose us? Hakstol, Pheasants Cry FOWL!

Last minute heroics? A Pheasant SURPRISE!

The blessed chant: F the Pheasants actually rolls well off the tongue.

Bad season? Pheasant Season turned Turkey

Male Pheasants are called Cocks. Do we HAVE to go over the chants for this factoid?

I guess I'm rambling when I could have said "HELL FING NO"

No offense Big A Hg

I don't disagree about not liking the name itself, but put yourself in these shoes. Imagine we've been the Pheasants for decades, but have to drop the nickname thanks to PETA. Now, picture someone mentioning "hey, let's be the Fighting Sioux". You can come up with a whole lot of possibly negative connotations regarding the name Sioux thanks to it sounding identical to Sue, and that is a woman's name.

Just sayin' :silly: At some point, everyone has to realize no name is perfect. The sooner that IS realized, the sooner we can begin accepting something to replace our iconic Fighting Sioux.

I don't disagree about not liking the name itself, but put yourself in these shoes. Imagine we've been the Pheasants for decades, but have to drop the nickname thanks to PETA. Now, picture someone mentioning "hey, let's be the Fighting Sioux". You can come up with a whole lot of possibly negative connotations regarding the name Sioux thanks to it sounding identical to Sue, and that is a woman's name.

Just sayin' :silly: At some point, everyone has to realize no name is perfect. The sooner that IS realized, the sooner we can begin accepting something to replace our iconic Fighting Sioux.

As long as there are progressive liberals in the world everything can will be considered offensive. Next North Dakota will need to change the state name. North may be offended!

Why not the "Reapers" with something like this on the jersey (of course I suggest this so the NCAA freaks out again):

TheGrimReaper.jpg

Hey Big A HG can you put that on the front of a Reebok Jersey? :silly: That would be a killer logo.