SiouxSports.com Forum

New Logo (with pics)

Big A HG

OK, so I kind of grasped Fetch's idea he posted in the Random Nickname thread about the Fighting Pheasants.

Well, everyone knows, pheasants aren't the badasses of the animal kingdom, nor do they put up much of a fight in the wild....UNTIL NOW.

Here's a little something I whipped up in the wee hours of the morning. Pheasants are a big part of North Dakota's makeup on a national level, and are actually a pretty neat bird. Everyone wants something that is terrifying, unique, cool, etc. all in one package. Trying to get that is pretty much as slim as it gets...other than keeping Fighting Sioux (and all this is, of course, 2nd to our current nickname). So, why not take this awesome animal, transform it into our own mean, badass logo and nickname. There are a lot of weak nicknames in college athletics, and no one criticizes them for it (Cardinals, Ducks, Gophers, etc...ok, so we rip on Gophers, but we all know that when someone says Gophers, we immediately identify the U of Minn).

Whatcha think? (And yes, I made this. Consider it my intellectual property. Please ask before using...not sure what you'd use it for anyways)

fightnpheasantsml.png

On our current home hockey jerseys:

pheasantsjersey.png

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so I kind of grasped Fetch's idea he posted in the Random Nickname thread about the Fighting Pheasants.

Well, everyone knows, pheasants aren't the badasses of the animal kingdom, nor do they put up much of a fight in the wild....UNTIL NOW.

Here's a little something I whipped up in the wee hours of the morning. Pheasants are a big part of North Dakota's makeup on a national level, and are actually a pretty neat bird. Everyone wants something that is terrifying, unique, cool, etc. all in one package. Trying to get that is pretty much as slim as it gets...other than keeping Fighting Sioux (and all this is, of course, 2nd to our current nickname). So, why not take this awesome animal, transform it into our own mean, badass logo and nickname. There are a lot of weak nicknames in college athletics, and no one criticizes them for it (Cardinals, Ducks, Gophers, etc...ok, so we rip on Gophers, but we all know that when someone says Gophers, we immediately identify the U of Minn).

Whatcha think? (And yes, I made this. Consider it my intellectual property. Please ask before using...not sure what you'd use it for anyways)

fightnpheasantsml.png

That's one mean looking Cock.

fightnpheasantsml.png

On our current home hockey jerseys:

pheasantsjersey.png

All I can say is Wow! No offense B A HG you did a nice photoshop job but I hope to never see this as our logo. I do like to hunt them however. Can you believe after winnning the final five this year and walking around Xcel and all the fans chanting Lets Go Pheasants, Lets Go Pheasants, Lets Go Pheasants. No Thank you.

Great job on the logo, but I have to agree with the other posts. I would not want to wear a jersey with a pheasant head on it. Also, those of us (me included) who do not hunt pheasants probably hate pheasants; because the only time I encounter them is when they are about to fly through my windshield on I-94.

well I LOVE IT - where do we send the petition & how many signatures will we need & how much for the lawsuits etc. :lol: But I still want the FIGHTING SIOUX LOGO & will never buy anything else - so don't invest in this until after Nov.

Great job on the graphic design side...but logos and names like this seem to belong in the minor leagues for a AA team in baseball, or a ECHL hockey team.

....or an independent professional baseball team. The Sioux Falls Canaries of the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball (formerly of the Northern League) are now the Sioux Falls Pheasants. (New logo can be viewed in the link below)

http://www.examiner.com/x-35434-Minor-Leag...hting-Pheasants

Every time we bring up a new logo I'm going to continue to throw out Flickertails. It's not much different than the pheasants in terms of edge, but it does have history with the university and the state and would be unique. I don't have the abilities on photoshop, but if a pheasant logo can be made to look mean why can't a Flickertail??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Richards...ity-Szmurlo.jpg

....or an independent professional baseball team. The Sioux Falls Canaries of the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball (formerly of the Northern League) are now the Sioux Falls Pheasants. (New logo can be viewed in the link below)

http://www.examiner.com/x-35434-Minor-Leag...hting-Pheasants

The Sioux Falls Canaries now being the Sioux Falls Pheasants takes "pheasants" out of play.

Sioux_Falls_Pheasants.jpg

How about the "Robber Barons"? Stanford University actually voted for it in 1975 and the University struck it down.

We need two words in order to sound acceptable with North Dakota

I still haven't given up on Fighting Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mighty Soo!

It is so hard to come up with a nickname that is unique. Some team somewhere is bound to have the same thing or something similar. While the name "Sioux" is unique, the usage of Indian imagery in sports is just as prolific as the usage of Bulldogs, Huskies, etc. So in that regard it is a common name. When/if the nickname is changed, it is almost certain the name will be already used. If we're told to change the nickname, we'll have to settle for second best, there's no getting around that. So if I get a vote (which i don't) I'll vote Pheasants, I love that!

Flickertails is unmarketable with gophers to the east.

And there's another problem with FLICKERS ... (what word did you see?)

I disagree, no gopher fan would ever also be a fan of UND and vic versa. I highly doubt anyone buys or not buys a jersey because they are too close geographically to closely related varmit.

What's wrong with Flickertails, not Flickers. I'm not going to decide on a nickname based upon how others may or may not change it to for their purposes. Four letter words can degrade any name...flickertails, gophers, badgers, etc.

Our athletic teams left "Flickertails" behind once already for good reason.

Don't repeat the mistake.

Out of shear interest. Do you know why we left it behind? Was it a marketing thing? I would suspect at the time that marketing and sales were not the issue as they would be today. So, what is that good reason? Please let me know so I can make an informed decision.

My first vote would be for Fighting Soo, anyways, but Flickertails is a close second.

fightnpheasantsml.png

That's one mean looking Cock.

Go Cocks Go...

I don't know if you hunt or not but that isn't exactly true. Ever been spurred by a Rooster? Ask Fetch, Sprig and Sioux Rube, I am sure they can tell you some stories. A lot of times I have a Pheasant get shot in the field and see it hit the ground running. Ask my Lab Dakota if Pheasants are tough and put up a fight. Pheasants are a very tough bird and run like the wind. I would rather see UND be called the Fighting Sioux but a Pheasant is a lot tougher than a Flickertail.