SiouxSports.com Forum

FSN's Frank Mazzocco out

VMeister

Exactly. This year the team was bad and you had game times and game days all over the map.

I totally disagree with the position that Woog was a homer. I have been watching him since he started doing broadcasts for FSN/ Midwest Sports channel. He has (mostly) always given the Sioux respect and credit for being one hell of a program.

The last 3 years he has clearly had some issue. I used to think he was drinking before the broadcasts but now think it is probably neurological.

He has my good thoughts and I hope the best for him. He is a good college hockey ambassador and a good man.

I can't believe the difference between the telecasts on FSSN and the Minnesota crew on Fox. Keep up the good work Pat Sweeney,Jim Scanlon,Mrs. Sioux Me Now, and FSSN staff!

I don't know about that. I think it's time that UND went out and hired a professional play-by-play announcer with some hockey knowledge. Sweeney has over stayed his welcome. When FSSN was new, the idea was "hey, let's bring that guy over from WDAZ to do play-by-play, I'm sure he'll be cheap, and only people in Grand Forks and Fargo are watching anyway". Now that we have a national broadcast, it's embarrassing when Sweeney spends half the time talking about unrelated things, and freaks out and raises his voice three octaves when the most minor thing is happening on the ice. "Sioux player coming down the ice!, and, OH MY!, he dumps the puck into the zone!!!!!". Scanlan can stay, Sweeney needs to go.

I will miss Woog, he was a little bit of a homer, but genuinely loved the game, and gave credit where due a number of times. Also a great guy.

Last night I watched the recording of the 2nd and 3rd Sioux Gopher playoff games. Frank, don't let the door hit you on the a$$ on the way out. He was completely out of line and borderline delusional in his ongoing whining. On another topic, I will be counting Cepis dives next year. Somebody needs to pound that guy into a new sport. Somebody needs to go Rylan Kaip on him...

I'm pretty sad about this actually. Frank has an outstanding voice for play by play; just the right inflection when needed. LaPanta I can't stand. Gives me one more reason to not like the Gophers. Although lately it's been less about hate and more about pity. ;)

I don't know about that. I think it's time that UND went out and hired a professional play-by-play announcer with some hockey knowledge. Sweeney has over stayed his welcome. When FSSN was new, the idea was "hey, let's bring that guy over from WDAZ to do play-by-play, I'm sure he'll be cheap, and only people in Grand Forks and Fargo are watching anyway". Now that we have a national broadcast, it's embarrassing when Sweeney spends half the time talking about unrelated things, and freaks out and raises his voice three octaves when the most minor thing is happening on the ice. "Sioux player coming down the ice!, and, OH MY!, he dumps the puck into the zone!!!!!". Scanlan can stay, Sweeney needs to go.

I agree with the dislike of Sweeney's voice. Scanlan is really not a good color guy, though. Fabian was GREAT when he was in there. Not the best articulation, mind you, but he had good comments and insight. The amount of work and knowledge Sweeney brings to those productions is something I truly appreciate. FSSN may not have been started without him.

couple thoughts.....

Since WDAZ has the contract with the FSSN I doubt Sweeney would leave unless he does it on his terms.

Sweeney doing the games probably gets the same salary if he doesn't do the games (since WDAZ again has the contract)

I've seen plenty of hockey that is in the same boat as the FSSN (not FSN type) and compared to other announcers, Sweeney isnt that bad. I'd rather deal with Sweeney than half the other announcers out there.

Scanlan has to go. He just annoys me. I agree that Fabian wasn't too bad.

• Downvote 1

Per Patrick Reusse on the radio today at 245 pm...he said Lucia grew tired of the Rug's critical views of the Gophs, especially calling out their lack of effort. Patrick send the straw that broke the camel's back was the Rug's very critical comments about the Goph's lack of effort in the 6-0 shelling on Friday in the 1st round of the WCHA playoffs.

Patrick said FSN wants "corporate" guys...basically "homers" as he put it.

So, bring on La Puppet!

Per Patrick Reusse on the radio today at 245 pm...he said Lucia grew tired of the Rug's critical views of the Gophs, especially calling out their lack of effort. Patrick send the straw that broke the camel's back was the Rug's very critical comments about the Goph's lack of effort in the 6-0 shelling on Friday in the 1st round of the WCHA playoffs.

Patrick said FSN wants "corporate" guys...basically "homers" as he put it.

So, bring on La Puppet!

Bahahahahahah, so you have Lucia calling out Frank for stating the obvious! Wow, that machine is more broken than I thought! I now officially feel sorry for Frank, and dislike Lucia even more than before!

DON LUCIFER strikes again!

We want FSSN in HD!!

If they go in HD then one of 3 things must happen

-they cut down on the schedule

-someone wins the lottery and donates all the money to WDAZ

-Ralph comes back from the grave and donates more money

Folks whine because they dont do very many road games and we all come back with the same answer...MONEY

It costs a helluva lot more to do HD then SD.....oh and the satellite uplink cost is unreal compared to a SD broadcast that they do. Take what they normally are billed and multiply it probably 4 times since they have to use a whole transponder for HD. on SD they get by with 1/6th of the transponder

• Downvote 1

If they go in HD then one of 3 things must happen

-they cut down on the schedule

-someone wins the lottery and donates all the money to WDAZ

-Ralph comes back from the grave and donates more money

Folks whine because they dont do very many road games and we all come back with the same answer...MONEY

It costs a helluva lot more to do HD then SD.....oh and the satellite uplink cost is unreal compared to a SD broadcast that they do. Take what they normally are billed and multiply it probably 4 times since they have to use a whole transponder for HD. on SD they get by with 1/6th of the transponder

Thank you for bringing facts to the table on this one...I wish they could find a way to get this done, but would settle for a PP clock to start! :ohmy:

Anthony Lapanta And Darby Hendrickson do not bring energy to gopher games.... yeah Darby played for the gophers but is so boring to listen to.... Maybe Fighting Sioux Sports Network should changed it up a little bit also. And the loss of Woog makes me want to shed a tear i like making fun of his complaing about the Sioux jerseys and how they play the game.

Thank you for bringing facts to the table on this one...I wish they could find a way to get this done, but would settle for a PP clock to start! :ohmy:

After nine years I finally have started to pay attention to the time on the clock when the penalty is called. Also heard from a co-worker that Woog has Parkinson's. It's too bad. I will miss both Woog and Mazzacco.

This is a sad turn of events. The one thing you could say about Woog and Frank is that they truly cared about what they were doing. Not sure your gonna get that from whoever replaces them. I know a lot of Sioux fans hated them, but I think those fans were too blinded by their hatred of the gophers. Yes they did say some stuff that didn't make a lot of sense (see after the Frattin hit this year), but why those fans took it so personal is beyond me. They were also willing to critize their team at times, which is something I don't think you would see a lot of homer announcers do. It was obvious that Woog has had a problem for the last couple of years so his time was probably numbered but this still seems out of the blue. And if the reason was because Lucia was upset, I think if I were a gopher supporter that would be the nail in the coffin for the Don's tenure in Dinkytown.