SiouxSports.com Forum

FSN's Frank Mazzocco out

VMeister

I'm not sure whether to be ecstatic over this or if in a year I'll be wishing for Frank and Doug to be back in the booth. While I wasn't happy with Woog and his riot-inciting tone during game 3 of the Sioux/Gopher series, I have personally met him several times and chatted hockey with him. He bleeds maroon and gold but was very polite in discussing Sioux hockey with me and always complimentary about the team. I ran into Doug at the Final Five and since I had Scott Sandelin's and Bill Watson's autographs on the back of my son's Sioux jersey, asked if he'd sign it too. He chuckled and said "I don't sign many green jerseys," but gladly wrote his name on the back. Nice conversation piece.

By the way, he does read this site, too. I liked the picture previously posted and during the WCHA playoffs a few years ago, I ran into Doug at Joe Sensor's in Bloomington. I asked him if I could take a picture with him wearing my Sioux jersey and his response was "if I didn't think that would end up on SiouxSports.com about five minutes after we take it, I would." I just about peed my pants.

My son has a picture of himself and a buddy posing with Anthony LaPanta in a Sioux jersey taken at last year's F5. When they asked him to put it on and pose he didn't hesitate at all. My son still hasn't posted it here although I begged him to. Says he can't figure out how to do it.

My son has a picture of himself and a buddy posing with Anthony LaPanta in a Sioux jersey taken at last year's F5. When they asked him to put it on and pose he didn't hesitate at all. My son still hasn't posted it here although I begged him to. Says he can't figure out how to do it.
This one?

n500823876_1705719_3014081.jpg

Bernie Burgraff is having Mazzocco on his show saturday morning(8-10)...sounds like Frank isn't very happy with the way things were handled.

I wasn't able to listen to this yesterday...does anyone have a snap-shot of some highlights of this show?

I wasn't able to listen to this yesterday...does anyone have a snap-shot of some highlights of this show?

I'd listen to Bernie for this interview. Not much else, but I'd listen to him for this interview.

I've found Bernie extremely knowledgeable about hockey but hard to listen to otherwise.

I don't know if all the Frank-bashing is because he's a Gopher homer, but if you watch the broadcasts, he's really very complimentary of other teams at times. Sure he's a homer, but apparently not enough of a homer according to the brass.

Bottom-line, I loved his play-by-play timing/voice/etc. I hope he continues doing hockey somewhere.

I agree. He could be extremely hard to listen to at times, but the fact is he is a great play-by-play guy. His vocal inflections were appropriate and well timed. I will wait to see how the new crew does before I say I will miss Mazz and Woog. Should be interesting to see what happens. Whether or not it is warranted you know the situation will have a lot of drama tied to it.

Mazzocco was obviously upset over the firing. I'm not a big fan of his, but I think he got a raw deal. It sounded like his wife & him started a photography business last year. He talked like he wanted to stay in hockey somehow, he's been doing it for almost 30 years so you can't blame the guy.