SiouxSports.com Forum

Suspensions and Injurys

yellowknife

Good, I like it that way.

That means that opposing teams find it hard to play against the Sioux team and that the fans are into the games and make it an atmosphere that is tough to play in.

Let's keep it that way. :glare:

When the opposition is whining about the sioux and calling them a bunch of goons that is good for UND, means they are kicking everyone's butt.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this controversy and suspension doesn't take Frattin off his game. He's been on fire. And by "off his game," I don't mean head hunting. That is not his game--scoring and playing with intensity is.

The real prize starts with regionals. Anybody else have mixed feelings about this team coming off a three-game weekend and then playing three more at the FF followed by another short rest before the biggest weekend of the year?

Or am I just another pussy?

I've been mulling this around too. Now don't get me wrong - I want the Sioux to win. I want them to get the trophy. I want to keep pushing ahead, and maybe squeeze into the last 1 seed.

But if they lose thursday night, send everyone home healthy, and get some rest for the regional - I am way cool with that too. My young son asked it best: "So the Final Five is a way for the crappy teams to get into the NCAAs, but the good teams are already in?" Out of the mouths of babes........

I was at the game and Frattin left his feet to make the hit. The photos included in Siouxcia's post confirm that. Clearly charging and clearly he was going after the other guy.(he confirmed that himself). If the league is going to prevent the crap that everyone complains about (like the Marvin hits) then you can't complain about this.

It is pretty entertaining to read how some theorize what the other kid could have done differently or how the physicis workds out. . Look at the photos. I took college physics from Dr. Olen Kraus and he would have said the only other thing the Gopher kid could have done was quickly crap his pants. Frattin was not going after the puck.

What is wrong is that Marvin, who clearly was trying to hurt an opponent, wasn't suspended for at least a month or longer if not the year. That would send a message and would be the quickest way to protect the players. Anyone who thinks those hits are part of the college game needs to get off the bar stool and get out more. Explain to Genoway (who Lucia said was the leagues best player) who lost his senior year. Do you want to be able to see those quality players or do you want to pump your fist when one of the opponents gets knocked out of a game? In comparison, the Frattin hit isn't as bad and I don't think he meant to hurt the Gopher, but there is no excuse for a cheap hit against an opponent. If you are going to do that don't hit the little guys. Go after one of their goons. UND cannot afford any of these stupid penalties if they are going tomake a run at a title.

The problem with the league and McLeod is the lack of consistency. Mcleod doesn't need to explain his reasononing to the fans. He needs to explain to the team and the coaches. I am pretty sure the players and coaches know this is not a legal hit.

Frattin has been a difference maker and it will hurt not to have him.

keep bringing in those soft recruits who seem to give up when things are tough. schroeder was on the back of a milk carton this last weekend which baffles me because he was so good vs top world talent in last 2 wjt. hmm, must be in house and thats obvious. please keep it up don! once don is out then they can rebuild. there isnt reloading happening there as there are issues. i think the most die hard gophs fans here like sagard/fhg and cardinal will agree that thsi sint a overnite rebuild process and there is more to it that that.

back to topic again :glare:

I have seen where people seem to think that UMN is just going to turn it around next season with all of these recruits that look good on paper. Hockey isn't played on paper.

It is pretty entertaining to read how some theorize what the other kid could have done differently or how the physicis workds out. . Look at the photos. I took college physics from Dr. Olen Kraus and he would have said the only other thing the Gopher kid could have done was quickly crap his pants. Frattin was not going after the puck.

I'm just excited to be discussing physics!

The real prize starts with regionals. Anybody else have mixed feelings about this team coming off a three-game weekend and then playing three more at the FF followed by another short rest before the biggest weekend of the year?

I also have concerns about playing back to back 3 game week-ends prior to the NCAA regional.

Every other league that plays this week-end, is a four team format with single elimination. Is the WCHA just too greedy?

In one way you want your team to win the play-in game, but then you don't want them to drain themselves or become injured in the next two games for a banner that you don't hang anyway.

Alex Kangas said the whole team hates Sioux fans and the team.

They hate what they fear!! If they weren't afraid of playing the Fighting Sioux, at the Ralph Englestad Arena, in front of 11,000+ Fighting Sioux hockey fans in Grand Forks, North Dakota, they wouldn't expend the energy on all that hate!! This applys to their fan base as well.

Gotta love it!! :glare:

GO SIOUX!!

SUCK IT GOPHERS, YOU LOSE!!

OMG! I thought with only 3 days between the rubber game with the Gophers and the play-in at the X, we hockey obsessed fans were going to be able to fill the downtime with some other aspect of our existence but, no. We're turning these few frames of video of the Frattin hit into the Zapruder film! Google it, kiddies. Next, someone's going to theorize there was a second skater on the grassy knoll. I kid.

I have no idea whether Frattin's hit was dirty enough to merit supplemental discipline. It looked violent in real time and unfortunately it caused injury. I don't think McLeod has done anyone a favor by refusing to explain the rationale behind the suspension.

:glare:

and clearly he was going after the other guy.(he confirmed that himself).

I'm going to have to take issue with this part of your post. Checking is a big part of the game. Frattin went to far, but if he had held back a bit it would have been a great play.

I have seen where people seem to think that UMN is just going to turn it around next season with all of these recruits that look good on paper. Hockey isn't played on paper.

they think that every year. just because you light it up in mn high school hockey, doesn't mean your freshman year in the wcha is going to be smooth sailing. it's risky to rely on unproven freshmen, no matter how talented they are, in turning the tide on a season.

I was at the game and Frattin left his feet to make the hit. The photos included in Siouxcia's post confirm that. Clearly charging and clearly he was going after the other guy.(he confirmed that himself).

The picture clearly shows that both of Matt's blades were on the ice at the time of impact. Heads collided. Charging, hard and fast, without a doubt. The five minute penalty was deserved.

mattfrattinkevinwehrs3.JPG

they think that every year. just because you light it up in mn high school hockey, doesn't mean your freshman year in the wcha is going to be smooth sailing. it's risky to rely on unproven freshmen, no matter how talented they are, in turning the tide on a season.

I think their bragging rights are that they recruit finesse hockey players. Problem they're having, IMO, is those finesse hockey players are all individual players who are only out there for themselves, waiting for the call from the AHL or NHL. Team work and tradition mean nothing to them. As stated by our boys year after year, they are playing for the team, the tradition, the crest on the 'sweater' and lastly, the fans. Big difference which was well documented on the ice this past weekend.

K, so we all know that frattin is suspended, lets get over this and move on. I assure you the team has.

Now here is the question? Who is going to replace him in that line on Thur. and does this affect our ability to win against the Dogs.

Haks seems to be able to see who can do what the teams needs in every situation. He will put on the Mad Scientist jacket and pull a rabit out of his bag of tricks. I have all the confidense in the world in him.

K, so we all know that frattin is suspended, lets get over this and move on. I assure you the team has.

Now here is the question? Who is going to replace him in that line on Thur. and does this affect our ability to win against the Dogs.

Haks seems to be able to see who can do what the teams needs in every situation. He will put on the Mad Scientist jacket and pull a rabit out of his bag of tricks. I have all the confidense in the world in him.

Toews moves up to Frattin's line. Bruno skates on the fourth line with Rowny and Super-Mario.

The guy that plays least well sits Friday, should we be fortunate enough to move on.

My prediction for the lines on Thursday...

UND's lines

17 Jason Gregoire--29 Chris VandeVelde--26 Brett Hextall

19 Evan Trupp--22 Brad Malone--18 David Toews

10 Corban Knight--11 Darcy Zajac--7 Danny Kristo

9 Mario Lamoureux--27 Carter Rowney--13 Brett Bruneteau

2 Andrew MacWilliam--24 Ben Blood

3 Derrick LaPoint--25 Jake Marto

15 Brent Davidson--4 Cory Fienhage

31 Brad Eidsness

32 Aaron Dell

I've been mulling this around too. Now don't get me wrong - I want the Sioux to win. I want them to get the trophy. I want to keep pushing ahead, and maybe squeeze into the last 1 seed.

But if they lose thursday night, send everyone home healthy, and get some rest for the regional - I am way cool with that too.

I feel about exactly the same way. I'll be cheering for them to win on Thursday but maybe just has happy if they lose.

I was at the game and Frattin left his feet to make the hit. The photos included in Siouxcia's post confirm that. Clearly charging and clearly he was going after the other guy.(he confirmed that himself). If the league is going to prevent the crap that everyone complains about (like the Marvin hits) then you can't complain about this.

What is wrong is that Marvin, who clearly was trying to hurt an opponent, wasn't suspended for at least a month or longer if not the year. That would send a message and would be the quickest way to protect the players. Anyone who thinks those hits are part of the college game needs to get off the bar stool and get out more. Explain to Genoway (who Lucia said was the leagues best player) who lost his senior year. Do you want to be able to see those quality players or do you want to pump your fist when one of the opponents gets knocked out of a game? In comparison, the Frattin hit isn't as bad and I don't think he meant to hurt the Gopher, but there is no excuse for a cheap hit against an opponent. If you are going to do that don't hit the little guys. Go after one of their goons. UND cannot afford any of these stupid penalties if they are going tomake a run at a title.

The problem with the league and McLeod is the lack of consistency. Mcleod doesn't need to explain his reasononing to the fans. He needs to explain to the team and the coaches. I am pretty sure the players and coaches know this is not a legal hit.

Frattin has been a difference maker and it will hurt not to have him.

I almost completely agree with this post. I don't think it's a problem to "go after the other guy". That's what you do when you are making a check. I think by definition of the charging and contact to the head rules Frattin is probably getting what he deserves. My point is that I don't think he was head hunting. I don't think it was a dirty hit. I think it was almost a clean hit that went too far. I'm not too upset with the suspension because this was a very close call for the refs and the league to have to make.

Sioux fans clamored all year for huge discipline on Marvin. Now, in a borderline situation our guy gets 1 game and some of us are just as outraged. Can't have it both ways. It's not the same type of infraction, I know that. But the WCHA was in a spot. We can already tell from the outcry in MN that had the WCHA NOT handed down a suspension ever fan and coach who wanted to rip the WCHA had an easy target. It's a borderline call and this time the WCHA chose to at least appear that they wanted to protect the player.

And that's what Sioux fans have been asking for all year.

Sioux fans clamored all year for huge discipline on Marvin. Now, in a borderline situation our guy gets 1 game and some of us are just as outraged. Can't have it both ways. It's not the same type of infraction, I know that. But the WCHA was in a spot. We can already tell from the outcry in MN that had the WCHA NOT handed down a suspension ever fan and coach who wanted to rip the WCHA had an easy target. It's a borderline call and this time the WCHA chose to at least appear that they wanted to protect the player.

And that's what Sioux fans have been asking for all year.

The majority of us don't have a problem with the suspension.

What would be ideal is to have the WCHA take the next few months to clearly define the rules and educate the refs. Hopefully, the refs make the right calls at the time of the penalty and call them consistently for every game and team. The physical nature of our team's play may change a little but if the rules are enforced by the book and not by the 'opinion', we'll be alright. It's a physical game, hits and checks will occur and they may result in penalties. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with the inconsistencies.

Since it will be my first time at the Xcel and the Final Five, I'll have trouble being fine with the Sioux losing Thursday, because, I want to see them on Friday and Saturday also.

I don't like to see the boys lose, ever. BUT, I understand the logic. At least if we lose, we know we're going to the Regionals unlike a team that is below .500 and done, done, done. :glare:

The majority of us don't have a problem with the suspension.

What would be ideal is to have the WCHA take the next few months to clearly define the rules and educate the refs. Hopefully, the refs make the right calls at the time of the penalty and call them consistently for every game and team. The physical nature of our team's play may change a little but if the rules are enforced by the book and not by the 'opinion', we'll be alright. It's a physical game, hits and checks will occur and they may result in penalties. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with the inconsistencies.

Here, here! Totally agree with inconsistency being the major problem! Can't even say from week to week, minute to minute is more like it! If there truly is a ZERO TOLERANCE when it comes to hits to the head (in the rule book), then Kangas' stick to Frattin's head, retaliatory or not, should have been a no-brainer. (There should not have been an opinion involved in that one.) Clean house from the top and start over!

I guess I have a problem with the league refusing to go on a local radio station to explain the decision. Wouldn't you want it known what the consequences are going to be for specific behavior? Maybe they just want to continue to arbitrarily decide who they will suspend and who they won't without giving any guidelines to follow. I find it odd that they won't explain to Sioux followers or anyone interested in this decision on the radio, yet they have no problem sending Greg Sheppard on with Doug and Frank to explain why a goal was taken away from the gophers against Wisconsin. And you wonder why people would think there is a slant to things in the league. I still think Hakstol should walk out on the ice after a bad call and see what the league does to him. I suspect we would find out in a hurry the inconsistency and disparity in the league's judgement.

Sioux fans clamored all year for huge discipline on Marvin. Now, in a borderline situation our guy gets 1 game and some of us are just as outraged. Can't have it both ways. It's not the same type of infraction, I know that.

I think the severity of Genoway's concussion is a huge reason for the outrage from Sioux fans concerning Frattin's suspension. Looking back, pretty sure the WCHA would have rather given Marvin a 3 game suspension on the Genoway cheap shot and maybe 1 game on the Geoffrion hit at center ice. I'm ok with Frattin's 1 game suspension, like dagies said you can't have it both ways. The thing that sucks is that Frattin is playing so well.