SiouxSports.com Forum

SOME GOOD NEWS ?

Fetch

So if UND gets into MM and upsets a 5 seed then moves on and upsets another top team gets into the Sweet 16 you aren't going to get excited?? Sioux hockey is not the only thing at UND. As for football i can't wait til 2012 when we will have a shot at a national title. Fighting Sioux is ALL sports not just hockey.

I like hockey, football, and basketball. When I lived in Grand Forks I used to go to all three and rarely missed a game over a 10 year period. I still travel back for almost all the hockey games but not for football and basketball since they only play one game. My passion for watching sports live is with hockey by far.

If UND made it to March Madness that would be fun, but in all likelyhood they would not be a 12 seed, more like a 14-16 seed wich means they would have to beat a 1-3 seed to advance, possible but not real likely. As a basketball fan the best I can ever hope for would be the sweet 16. If the Sioux could make the sweet 16 (or NDSU) I would consider that the equivalent of winning an NCAA hockey championship for those teams.

Almost every year UND has a shot at a NC$$ title in hockey. I suspect the absolute best you could hope for in basketball is to make the tourny once every 8-10 years and then advance past the first round maybe 1 out of 4 times. That means you make the sweet sixteen once every 32-40 years which may be stretching it...hard to get real excited about it.

I agree that Fighting Sioux is all sports and all sports deserve to keep the tradition that is the Fighting Sioux.

The State Board and UND need to let this play out till 11/30 if need be to try and keep the name. Anything less than that will make any transition to a new name much more difficult and will cost the university $$$. The only downside I see is a delay of a year in starting the Summit league schedule which may cost the school $$ in scheduling and travel but will be far less than the cost of changing the name and the loss in donations.

If they do everything right and in the end the name has to change it will be costly but I believe the cost and bitterness will be much higher if they pull the plug too early...the rancor will never go away for some as the belief will be engrained that the nickname could have been saved but the effort was not made. Standing Rock appears to be starting to move on the issue and a lot can be done in the next nine months that could result in saving the name...unless the state board and UND really don't want to save the name.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realized I'm part of a cult and I live in the northern US and that I LOVE IT. :) Sioux hockey is more recognizable on a National Level than any other sport in North Dakota. I thought what Ben Woodside & the Bison basketball team was outstanding last year, but Fighting Sioux hockey has been the most consistant high level team that North Dakota has produced.

We'll never agree.

However, I stand firm that the 2008-09 NDSU bball team gained the most national attention of any college sports team from the state of ND ever, due to March Madness and the Fargo flood promo. UND hockey has never matched that and I doubt ever will, due to the small national (cult) following of college hockey.

How you measure "costs" may not be the same way other measure "costs".

The cost of one year of no conference, how's that compare to the costs of a moniker/logo transition?

Courts, turf, uniforms, signage, ... (on and on and on) ... have we ever heard that number?

I'll trust UND Admin to smartly measure and weight the costs.

From everything I've read, Faison has already commented that UND needs to get into the Summit as soon as possible.

Thanks for confirming that you trust his decision.

One year, much less nine more months, in the 127 year history of UND is not "make or break".

I'll be patient enough to let this play out fully (Nov 2010).

PS - When's the last time UND Basketball or UND Football garnered secondary coverage in a eight-page spread in SI? As much as some may choose to downplay it, hockey does garner UND national and international exposure. The next two weeks in Vancouver will continue that theme.

Once more, the fallacy that the SBoHE legally "owe" the SR until Nov 2010 rears it's ugly head.

There is not a single sentence in the settlement that restricts the board from retiring the nickname before that time.

Personally, I could give three S#its about basketball, any basketball. A lot of hockey fans don't like hockey. Also a lot of Basketball fans don't like hockey so, no I would get excited and I wouldn't watch it. The only Basketball that I watched last year was Friday during the final five at Tom Reids when Moo U got beat and I had to fight to keep my attention on the screen. Boring.

A lot of hockey fans don't like hockey?

You would get excited and you wouldn't watch it?

:)

..what a toothless nincompoop. Is this really who you want to be representing UND on this issue? I hope not.

A lot of hockey fans don't like hockey?

You would get excited and you wouldn't watch it?

:)

..what a toothless nincompoop. Is this really who you want to be representing UND on this issue? I hope not.

No one here "represents" UND on this issue. Just a bunch of us with an opinion and an internet connection.

We'll never agree.

However, I stand firm that the 2008-09 NDSU bball team gained the most national attention of any college sports team from the state of ND ever, due to March Madness and the Fargo flood promo. UND hockey has never matched that and I doubt ever will, due to the small national (cult) following of college hockey.

Since you've been throwing the "cult" word out I had to look up the definition. Cult refers to a group whose beliefs or practices could be considered stange or sinister. I just thought I was following a college hockey team the past 40 years for fun. :)

Since you've been throwing the "cult" word out I had to look up the definition. Cult refers to a group whose beliefs or practices could be considered stange or sinister. I just thought I was following a college hockey team the past 40 years for fun. :)

No, "the Cult" refers to these guys:

The.Cult-band-1989.jpg

I may like hockey, and I may like basketball a little bit more, but some of the people who claim that UND basketball doesn't matter and we only ever be known for hockey. That may be, but I don't think the people who post these things realize that, hockey in the state of ND, is not numero uno. I've lived and traveled to a lot of places in this state, and hockey doesn't register with most of the people in this state. For some it does but it's rare, New Rockford to Underwood- to Hatton. Bismarck & Minot- yes these places may have some hockey people but they would admit that they are greatly outnumbered by Football, Basketball and even wrestling--New Rockford & Underwood don't have wrestling but its for the example. Even more--- hockey has traditionally been the easiest ticket to get out of the the sports, (hockey&basketball) at the U of M, I know I have a sibling who went there (unfortunately), and that's suppose to be the state of hockey for cryin out loud. So thanks yzerman for your sincere disdain for UND basketball, all I can say is oh well...that's fine, but don't think for an instant that everyone in this state hangs on how our hockey program performs (I for one hopes it performs well-especially this weekend). Now granted they aren't hanging on for our basketball programs right now either, but if they ever get good- I lot of people in this state first & foremost will be interested. I can't understand if that happens with our basketball programs, why would that be a bad thing? according to some of you hockey only fans, why does it bother you so much? Your tone yzerman indicates that to be the case. Did a basketball player steal your gf, years ago or what?

I may like hockey, and I may like basketball a little bit more, but some of the people who claim that UND basketball doesn't matter and we only ever be known for hockey. That may be, but I don't think the people who post these things realize that, hockey in the state of ND, is not numero uno. I've lived and traveled to a lot of places in this state, and hockey doesn't register with most of the people in this state. For some it does but it's rare, New Rockford to Underwood- to Hatton. Bismarck & Minot- yes these places may have some hockey people but they would admit that they are greatly outnumbered by Football, Basketball and even wrestling--New Rockford & Underwood don't have wrestling but its for the example. Even more--- hockey has traditionally been the easiest ticket to get out of the the sports, (hockey&basketball) at the U of M, I know I have a sibling who went there (unfortunately), and that's suppose to be the state of hockey for cryin out loud. So thanks yzerman for your sincere disdain for UND basketball, all I can say is oh well...that's fine, but don't think for an instant that everyone in this state hangs on how our hockey program performs (I for one hopes it performs well-especially this weekend). Now granted they aren't hanging on for our basketball programs right now either, but if they ever get good- I lot of people in this state first & foremost will be interested. I can't understand if that happens with our basketball programs, why would that be a bad thing? according to some of you hockey only fans, why does it bother you so much? Your tone yzerman indicates that to be the case. Did a basketball player steal your gf, years ago or what?

Great Post!!! I agree 100%

We'll never agree.

Mpls Bison..... You are on here everyday spewing the same crap... not on just one thread, but on almost every one...every day is the same. It's like the movie "Groundhog Day". It was only entertaining for....well...it never was entertaining.

You seem to erroneously believe that you are some sort intellectual giant, and when other posters call you on some of your psycho babble, you get all worked up, demand proof, call them names, and accuse them of being "emotional" (you seem to really like that word).

So... since you are so big on people "proving" the truth or legitimacy of the statements they make, why don't you produce some evidence that proves some of your own?

Starting with the quote above.....

--- PROVE that the 2008-09 NDSU bball team gained the most national attention of any college sports team from the state of ND EVER, due to March Madness and the Fargo Flood promo.

--- PROVE that UND hockey has never matched that and never will, due to the "small national (cult) following of college hockey.

And from earlier posts.....

---PROVE that every single Division 1 basketball recruit in the country is promised by coaches that they will play in an Auto-Bid Conference, with a chance to play in March Madness..

You were yapping about that one for a while.... there are plenty more, but let's just start with these....

And are you sure you really want the Sioux to be admitted to the almighty Summit League? Because by looking at the competition in the Summit, it probably won't be too long before the Sioux are contending for that Auto bid to the big dance as well. Then your beloved Bison won't even have that over UND. The Summit is a weak conference, and one of the easiest ways to get into the tournament. If just getting in to play a Thursday regional game gets your rocks off, well spank away! And as far as football....Oh that's right....The Summit doesn't have football either :)

Before you bless us all with another verbal banquet, please try to find the proof for some of your drivel listed above first!

That should keep this board a "Mpls Bison Free Zone" for quite some time...Actually forever, since there is no proof to be found.

This will be a welcome break, as your arguments are very boring and tiresome....

Now it's time for beverages and some Sioux Hockey!!

Mpls Bison..... You are on here everyday spewing the same crap... not on just one thread, but on almost every one...every day is the same. It's like the movie "Groundhog Day". It was only entertaining for....well...it never was entertaining.

You seem to erroneously believe that you are some sort intellectual giant, and when other posters call you on some of your psycho babble, you get all worked up, demand proof, call them names, and accuse them of being "emotional" (you seem to really like that word).

So... since you are so big on people "proving" the truth or legitimacy of the statements they make, why don't you produce some evidence that proves some of your own?

Starting with the quote above.....

--- PROVE that the 2008-09 NDSU bball team gained the most national attention of any college sports team from the state of ND EVER, due to March Madness and the Fargo Flood promo.

--- PROVE that UND hockey has never matched that and never will, due to the "small national (cult) following of college hockey.

And from earlier posts.....

---PROVE that every single Division 1 basketball recruit in the country is promised by coaches that they will play in an Auto-Bid Conference, with a chance to play in March Madness..

You were yapping about that one for a while.... there are plenty more, but let's just start with these....

And are you sure you really want the Sioux to be admitted to the almighty Summit League? Because by looking at the competition in the Summit, it probably won't be too long before the Sioux are contending for that Auto bid to the big dance as well. Then your beloved Bison won't even have that over UND. The Summit is a weak conference, and one of the easiest ways to get into the tournament. If just getting in to play a Thursday regional game gets your rocks off, well spank away! And as far as football....Oh that's right....The Summit doesn't have football either :)

Before you bless us all with another verbal banquet, please try to find the proof for some of your drivel listed above first!

That should keep this board a "Mpls Bison Free Zone" for quite some time...Actually forever, since there is no proof to be found.

This will be a welcome break, as your arguments are very boring and tiresome....

Now it's time for beverages and some Sioux Hockey!!

You know, after the mental lashing you just gave me I probably would've never posted here ever again out of shame.

If only...you had just used a few more line returns between each sentence.

Oh well, guess I'll keep posting.

You know, after the mental lashing you just gave me I probably would've never posted here ever again out of shame.

TROLL BE GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great comeback, but still no proof to back up your comments. That's a shocker ???

SOOOO...you're saying the one-time "March Madness" coverage totally eclipsed ALL of ndsu's national coverage for the d2 football championships? GREAT! That eliminates THOSE BRAGGING RIGHTS! ??? (you might want to Twitter your !@#!$! Bison friends with the news update!)

Hopefully the NCAA won't do a follow-up "WHAT HAPPENED to the CINDERELLA BISON?" feature in this March Madness because it's going to be a total disappointment! ("Oh, they're a mediocre .500 team in a crappy league! I guess they were just a FLASH IN THE PAN so f*ck them - WE'RE ON TO THE NEXT BIG STORY!!!!)

UND has made it's hockey rep being a national Division 1 contender YEAR after YEAR and 7 DI Titles - That's how you gain respect - newbies!!! :D:lol:

SOOOO...you're saying the one-time "March Madness" coverage totally eclipsed ALL of ndsu's national coverage for the d2 football championships? GREAT! That eliminates THOSE BRAGGING RIGHTS! :ohmy: (you might want to Twitter your !@#!$! Bison friends with the news update!)

Hopefully the NCAA won't do a follow-up "WHAT HAPPENED to the CINDERELLA BISON?" feature in this March Madness because it's going to be a total disappointment! ("Oh, they're a mediocre .500 team in a crappy league! I guess they were just a FLASH IN THE PAN so f*ck them - WE'RE ON TO THE NEXT BIG STORY!!!!)

UND has made it's hockey rep being a national Division 1 contender YEAR after YEAR and 7 DI Titles - That's how you gain respect - newbies!!! :lol::lol:

...or the fact that Sioux home games are covered by Fox and are televised into 54 million homes (I heard)...Yeah, the Bison's 15 minutes in the NCAA hoops tourney was much more memorable... ;)