SiouxSports.com Forum

SOME GOOD NEWS ?

Fetch

...or the fact that Sioux home games are covered by Fox and are televised into 54 million homes (I heard)...Yeah, the Bison's 15 minutes in the NCAA hoops tourney was much more memorable... :ohmy:

Blackheart and et all,

mplsbuffalo is a clown...most likely some 12 year whose Dad when to the NDSAS. Anyone who has a hard time from UND or NDSU understanding the popularity of the Fighting Sioux Hockey team only has to go back to the Sports Illustrated specials identifying the key sports in each state and by an overwhelming majority your Fighting Sioux Hockey Team was voted the most popular team in ND - you don't have to take my word, just read what Sports Illustrated had to say. I'm sure we will find out from the Herd troll there was some mis-print or if it was taken today with the meteor-like rise of the watantanka team in Fargo they would run away with the local popularity contest. Additionally, I have nothing against basketball or volleyball or baseball or soccer, but they don't even compete with hockey in the state of North Dakota when it comes to Division I sports...Period.

Lastly, I can't see the need for denying the NA tribes the opportunity to have the final say on the nickname just so we can get into an athletic conference that is most likely one of the weakest in the country. It would be so un-North Dakotan to worry about what a bunch of panty wastes have to say and disrespect the important say of the human beings who inhabited this land before we showed up. Like I have said before, if the tribes do not want this exposure or the use of the name then I will happily give it, but I'll be damned if I will let a group of politicians and bureacrats determine the final solution because it is expedient to their ambitions to be included in some mediocre league that just happens to include our little sisters south on I29.

So, Gary (mplsbuffalo) keep combing your hair in your room and lets the adults speak....

BobIwabuchiFan

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really believe for one second that any of the pro-nickname group cares about the SR having "their voices heard" merely for upholding the principle of representative democracy? Bulls**t.

If we had a strong indication that the SR people were going to overwhelmingly vote down supporting the nickname, no one here would give a fart if anyone in the tribe got to vote.

Drop the facade. Please. Just admit that you want to keep the nickname at any cost to UND, the student athletes, the state or the fans of non-hockey sports.

Ok BobIwabuccifan, explain this to me, how this goes again. And yes I actually was around and cheered for Bob when he played and even for some truly dreadful teams prior to when he played. Getting back to my question, how is UND hockey the most popular sport team in North Dakota? I just can't let you throw a blanket statement out there like that. (Yes it won a poll, conducted by SI, but you know how much credence I put in polls?) Considering very few play or even watch hockey growing up in this state, I just don't see it. Is it the most popular team in Grand Forks, yes...I'll even give you the Red River Valley. I'll grant you its recognized but most popular is a stretch. I think you place upon it too much importance without realizing what the actual sports constituincy is within the state. Is it recognizable to nearly everyone?... yes I will give you that, but that doesn't make it the most popular. Even the state of Minnesota with it being the state of hockey, if you were to go and ask every person what their favorite sport was, let alone team. I'm not sure hockey or a hockey team would win that actual poll. (maybe I'm wrong there, but you never know) What hockey does have (this is to it's credit) is very loyal and boisterous fan base that backs it, but because of this I think some hockey fans mistake this for an overwhelming ratification that hockey is so incredibly popular especially in the state. And let me just add, I love our hockey team and go to just about every game. My all time favorite Sioux Hockey player hailed from Prince Edwards Island.

The SI article on the Lamouroux family was awesome and I enjoyed it, but lets not think for an instant that they would have done that story had the twins not made Team USA (which is great that they accompolished this by the way). All of the family connections to UND is part of the story---and certainly interesting to me & other Sioux fans, but it wasn't why the story was written. It would have been written had this family lived in Casper Wyoming and many of their family had gone on to great hockey accolades.

Blackheart and et all,

mplsbuffalo is a clown...most likely some 12 year whose Dad when to the NDSAS. Anyone who has a hard time from UND or NDSU understanding the popularity of the Fighting Sioux Hockey team only has to go back to the Sports Illustrated specials identifying the key sports in each state and by an overwhelming majority your Fighting Sioux Hockey Team was voted the most popular team in ND - you don't have to take my word, just read what Sports Illustrated had to say. I'm sure we will find out from the Herd troll there was some mis-print or if it was taken today with the meteor-like rise of the watantanka team in Fargo they would run away with the local popularity contest. Additionally, I have nothing against basketball or volleyball or baseball or soccer, but they don't even compete with hockey in the state of North Dakota when it comes to Division I sports...Period.

Lastly, I can't see the need for denying the NA tribes the opportunity to have the final say on the nickname just so we can get into an athletic conference that is most likely one of the weakest in the country. It would be so un-North Dakotan to worry about what a bunch of panty wastes have to say and disrespect the important say of the human beings who inhabited this land before we showed up. Like I have said before, if the tribes do not want this exposure or the use of the name then I will happily give it, but I'll be damned if I will let a group of politicians and bureacrats determine the final solution because it is expedient to their ambitions to be included in some mediocre league that just happens to include our little sisters south on I29.

So, Gary (mplsbuffalo) keep combing your hair in your room and lets the adults speak....

BobIwabuchiFan

What does popularity of a sport in the state of ND have to do with how much national exposure a sport brings in for the state and the school?

If nothing else, ND being a very northern state just cements my argument that hockey is a cult sport that does not have national appeal.

Yes, I give you that UND hockey could very well be the most popular team/sport in the state. But once again, I repeat: the 2008-09 NDSU bball team garnered the most national attention for ND and NDSU from the March Madness promo and opening round game against Kansas than any other ND collegiate team has ever garnered for the state and their respective school. None of UND's national champion hockey teams has ever received that much national attention. I don't have any way to prove it (and there probably is no reasonable way), but that is my personal feeling and I think most reasonable people would agree simply due to the massive national TV ratings of March Madness vs. the NCAA DI hockey championship.

I currently live in Kentucky (I know, right?) where I am fortunate enough to get awesome coverage of WCHA hockey every single weekend on Fox Sports. That means I also get to see a lot of UND Hockey to include the original local broadcasts and commercials from WDAZ. When I get to see it, it's like a little taste of home... which I miss very much. I love North Dakota... all of it... and I am so proud to hail from that great state. When I wear Sioux stuff at our local ice arena, I run into a North Dakota/Minnesota transplants every time who love to come up to me and talk hockey or UND sportsin general. The name and logo are instantly recognizable wherever I go.

My brother wrestled from UND back in the day and next to hockey, I love collegiate wrestling too. (It's a damn shame Title IX has been used to eviscerate historic men's programs like Wrestling... Cheerleading and danceteams, when competitive, should count as women's sports, but I digress...) UND Wrestling exists only in memory now... a fringe sport that had a small, but fanatical following. We are left with what we have... one hell of a hockey program and other programs with talent and promise and the cyclical ups and downs of college sports.

If the name stays, we (Sioux Fans) can still have it all... a loyal fanbase, national exposure in some (gate-producing) sports, and a sense of tradition. It makes no sense to throw it away, right now, even for the Summit League. I think all of us on all sides of this issue can agree that Standing Rock's voice will be final and we will live with whatever it is.

GO SIOUX!!! :ohmy:

Most popular college sports team in ND? UND Hockey.

Most popular sport in ND? Probably basketball at the HS level. (Grandmas get riled up over good rivalries.)

Two different questions. Two different answers. Don't confuse them.

Small clarification:

Most popular college sports team in ND with the people of ND: UND hockey.

Most popular college sports team in ND with the nation: NDSU bball.

If we had a strong indication that the SR people were going to overwhelmingly vote down supporting the nickname, no one here would give a fart if anyone in the tribe got to vote.

Yes, people here would.

Why?

Hope, ... and closure.

Spirit Lake spoke when no one thought they would.

So what's so surprising about folks wanting to give Standing Rock every last opportunity to do the same?

People want closure. Not giving Standing Rock the full measure of time that they were initially told (Nov 2010) will not provide it.

Small clarification:

Most popular college sports team in ND with the people of ND: UND hockey.

Most popular college sports team in ND with the nation: NDSU bball.

Also, you forget that the opening round games are never seen in their entirety around the nation, and are often during the day on a weekday. There is "hop-around" coverage, so only a few minutes of the Kansas/NDSU game would be seen by most people outside the North Dakota and Kansas areas.

We're talking today, not for two hours last March.

NDSU MBB is back into DI oblivion. Sorry. Say "Hi" to George Mason and Chaminade.

I'm not saying otherwise.

What I'm saying is that if you surveyed the nation as to the last college sports team from ND that they recall watching on TV, you're going to get a very large percentage that say they've never seen one followed next by people who remember the story of NDSU bball team from last march madness.

The fact that NDSU was the first team ever to make the tournament in their first year of eligibility and then hugely because of the promo that was done on the NDSU bball team helping out with the floods in Fargo, gave that team more national exposure than any other ND college sports team ever.

There's no reason to be angry because of that fact. It is what it is: march madness is hugely popular in the country while college hockey has a small following.

But there's absolutely no reason that can't be UND's bball team too! Unless, of course, they don't get into an auto-bid bball conference.

Yes, people here would.

Why?

Hope, ... and closure.

Spirit Lake spoke when no one thought they would.

So what's so surprising about folks wanting to give Standing Rock every last opportunity to do the same?

People want closure. Not giving Standing Rock the full measure of time that they were initially told (Nov 2010) will not provide it.

Every time you keep trying to perpetuate this false "promise", I'm going to call you out.

There is no language in the settlement that requires the tribes be given until Nov 2010 to decide one way or another to support the nickname. Rather, UND has up to Nov 2010 at the latest to gain the tribes support. But they are completely free to retire the nickname prior to that if they choose.

As has been confirmed by the judge.

Standing Rock does not "deserve" to be given another 9 months when they've been sitting around doing nothing. They had their chance and they blew it to smithereens. Too bad, because I'm more than positive they could've negotiated a very sweet deal with UND in exchange for supporting the nickname. Too bad indeed.

Also, you forget that the opening round games are never seen in their entirety around the nation, and are often during the day on a weekday. There is "hop-around" coverage, so only a few minutes of the Kansas/NDSU game would be seen by most people outside the North Dakota and Kansas areas.

They had 4 games in that time slot. So a fourth of the nation would be seeing NDSU-Kansas while the rest would be aware of the game via the ticker and in-game updates.

But the game itself is not really what got NDSU the attention. The team was hyped in pre-game due to being the first team to make the tournament its first year being eligible and then because of the promo done on the team helping with the Fargo floods. That was seen by everyone in the nation.

Look...there is absolutely no point in getting into a pissing match between UND hockey and NDSU bball.

My point is only that UND bball has HUGE potential to bring exposure for the state and the school from the rest of the nation. The obvious jealousy and concern from the hockey crowd is that they don't want it to take away from hockey.

We're talking today, not for two hours last March.

NDSU MBB is back into DI oblivion. Sorry. Say "Hi" to George Mason and Chaminade.

Bison BB is 5th in the Summit; Sioux hockey is 6th in the WCHA . . . so is that oblivion too, or is it a #11 national ranking and free pass to the national tournament. Hockey is unique, I'll give you that.

I currently live in Kentucky (I know, right?) where I am fortunate enough to get awesome coverage of WCHA hockey every single weekend on Fox Sports. That means I also get to see a lot of UND Hockey to include the original local broadcasts and commercials from WDAZ. When I get to see it, it's like a little taste of home... which I miss very much. I love North Dakota... all of it... and I am so proud to hail from that great state. When I wear Sioux stuff at our local ice arena, I run into a North Dakota/Minnesota transplants every time who love to come up to me and talk hockey or UND sportsin general. The name and logo are instantly recognizable wherever I go.

My brother wrestled from UND back in the day and next to hockey, I love collegiate wrestling too. (It's a damn shame Title IX has been used to eviscerate historic men's programs like Wrestling... Cheerleading and danceteams, when competitive, should count as women's sports, but I digress...) UND Wrestling exists only in memory now... a fringe sport that had a small, but fanatical following. We are left with what we have... one hell of a hockey program and other programs with talent and promise and the cyclical ups and downs of college sports.

If the name stays, we (Sioux Fans) can still have it all... a loyal fanbase, national exposure in some (gate-producing) sports, and a sense of tradition. It makes no sense to throw it away, right now, even for the Summit League. I think all of us on all sides of this issue can agree that Standing Rock's voice will be final and we will live with whatever it is.

GO SIOUX!!! :ohmy:

I'm working in Ohio for a few months. Last week I ran after a man with a Sioux shirt on to say hi! He is a Kentuckian who worked as a consultant in GF a few years ago. He loves Sioux hockey and said he has turned more than a few of his friends on to FS hockey. I travel a lot for work and have run into Fighting Sioux fans in every state I've worked in. They're easily spotted as they wear their Sioux gear proudly. Outside of ND and MN, I have yet to run into a visible NDSU fan. Go figure.....

What does popularity of a sport in the state of ND have to do with how much national exposure a sport brings in for the state and the school?

If nothing else, ND being a very northern state just cements my argument that hockey is a cult sport that does not have national appeal.

Yes, I give you that UND hockey could very well be the most popular team/sport in the state. But once again, I repeat: the 2008-09 NDSU bball team garnered the most national attention for ND and NDSU from the March Madness promo and opening round game against Kansas than any other ND collegiate team has ever garnered for the state and their respective school. None of UND's national champion hockey teams has ever received that much national attention. I don't have any way to prove it (and there probably is no reasonable way), but that is my personal feeling and I think most reasonable people would agree simply due to the massive national TV ratings of March Madness vs. the NCAA DI hockey championship.

So you can't prove that one....Big Shock. Why don't you move on to the next from the list I gave you and try prove that? Again, take your time....we will be waiting...

Ya, it's probably about as widely known throughout the US as the WCHA. Agreed.

Thanks for the pissing contest. Go use your own toilet.

On a serious note, I would think the WCHA has more of a name recognition than the Summit, for the simple fact of having Minnesota and Wisconsin in our conference. That's just me though.

What is the biggest known school in The Summit? Oral Roberts?

Back on topic, let's let this name process play itself out.

They had 4 games in that time slot. So a fourth of the nation would be seeing NDSU-Kansas while the rest would be aware of the game via the ticker and in-game updates.

Great math skills. Do you assume everything is equal in life? I wasn't aware that CBS spread the 4 games out equally. What happens if 40% of the nation was seeing one game, 30% the second game, 20% the third game, and only 10% the fourth.

:ohmy: I doubt that more sports fans have heard of the Summit than have heard of the WCHA.

Every time there is an NCAA DI selection show in baseball, basketball, softball, volleyball, soccer, etc . . . the Summit name comes up. The WCHA has one regional sport with DI/DII/DIII schools, so your arguement is debatable at best.

Great math skills. Do you assume everything is equal in life? I wasn't aware that CBS spread the 4 games out equally. What happens if 40% of the nation was seeing one game, 30% the second game, 20% the third game, and only 10% the fourth.

I'm sure they weren't spread out equally. But certainly more than just ND and Kansas.