SiouxSports.com Forum

SOME GOOD NEWS ?

Fetch

This is why I mention the UND leadership. I trust that they have an idea of what's at stake and will make the appropriate decisions.

As I mentioned you aren't going to change anyones mind. The majority of Sioux fans want whats best for the athletes and the University as a whole regardless of what our nickname is. Most fans don't come to this site to constantly remind others whats at stake and try to get them to change their minds.

Again, everyone knows what's at stake...so why do you constantly have to come in and stir the pot? We pay the administrators to make the decisions that are best for UND and those folks are not on this board looking for ideas or trying to find out how Sioux fans feel about the issue. All your doing is being confrontational and looking for an arguement. But whatever makes you feel better about yourself I guess...

If everyone would just ignore MplsBison, this message board would be much enjoyable and I think the blood pressure level of many UND fans would be greatly reduced. There is absolutely no upside in debating any of these issues with him. Please ignore him!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basketball is a revenue sport. I said non-revenue. The phrase "non-revenue or Olympic" in a collegiate sporting context infers not football, not basketball, and in select cases not hockey.

So, in that context, when and which?

I'll help you recall by mentioning all of them.

Olympic or non-revenue at NDSU:

Men - baseball, track, cross-country, golf, wrestling

Women - soccer, softball, volleyball, golf, track, cross-country

(Revenue: football, MBB, WBB)

Olympic or non-revenue at UND:

Men - baseball, track, cross-country, golf, swimming and diving

Women - soccer, softball, volleyball, golf, track, cross-country, tennis, swimming and diving

(Revenue: football, MBB, WBB, MHockey, WHockey <-- hold comments please, I know)

The Summit is a conference for olympic sports and basketball.

Summit membership means UND's only legitimate shot at March Madness, thus it can't (and I won't allow it to be) be removed from the discussion of the importance of UND's membership in the Summit.

Nice try at a strawman, though.

Got this in writing? What if UND changes its name and still don't get in. Then what?? Then we prevent the SR to voice their opinion, we give the SBoHE permission to do as they wish to our schools, what if they think UND should change their colors from Green, White, and Pink, to Maroon and Gold? What stops them? Changing the name is NOT a guarantee!!! But waiting until Nov. 30, 2010 the nickname issue will ultimately be resolved one way or the other and that IS a guarantee.

I reject the absurd position that retiring the nickname at this point constitutes "preventing the SR to voice their opinion". Right on it's ridiculous face.

The SR have had months...months to do something about the issue. Oh wait...hold the presses! NOW...months later...they're just starting to attempt to do something. Too friggin' bad.

More than likely, this is just a thinly veiled attempt for the SR to make it appear as if they were trying to save the nickname at the last second so as to not look like the bad guys when the nickname is retired. :)

Call me an elitist, but quite honestly I could care less about any sport that does not produce DI titles or professional athletes,

I've got plenty of entertainment options, and I'm not in it for charity to kids who wouldn't go to school without athletic scholarships.

Fighting Sioux to me is synonymous with elite hockey. DI is an experiment that I hope works out, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for March Madness, it floats a lot of people's boats and makes beaucoup $, but I'd rather watch the fighting Sioux hockey team than any bball game.

I know this site is for all Siouxsports, so I apologize for venturing outside of hockey.

One thing that North Dakota as a whole needs to accept is that we are never going to exist on a national level, we're simply too small. Supporting a great hockey club is probably the most we can hope for.

I reject the absurd position that retiring the nickname at this point constitutes "preventing the SR to voice their opinion". Right on it's ridiculous face.

The SR have had months...months to do something about the issue. Oh wait...hold the presses! NOW...months later...they're just starting to attempt to do something. Too friggin' bad.

More than likely, this is just a thinly veiled attempt for the SR to make it appear as if they were trying to save the nickname at the last second so as to not look like the bad guys when the nickname is retired. :)

Per the lawsuit they have until Nov 30, 2010. Its the SBoHE sticking its nose where it doesn't belong.

If it changes now, it means the issue is resolved now and UND gets into the Summit immediately.

You have absolutely no basis for such a statement. You don't know that the issue goes away, and you certainly don't know that UND gets into the Summit immediately.

The Summit is a conference for olympic sports and basketball.

Summit membership means UND's only legitimate shot at March Madness, thus it can't (and I won't allow it to be) be removed from the discussion of the importance of UND's membership in the Summit.

Nice try at a strawman, though.

When's the last time you attended a non-revenue or Olympic sporting event at UND or NDSU for that matter?

Stop Sounding Like A Politician. Answer The Question.

You have absolutely no basis for such a statement. You don't know that the issue goes away, and you certainly don't know that UND gets into the Summit immediately.

Assuming that the ND supreme court rules against the SL and then the SBoHE tells UND to retire the nickname, then yes, the issue is unequivocally resolved.

What could anyone do? There are no more lawsuits and there is no more nickname.

It was a distraction argument put forth for the sole reason of distracting from the main argument for joining the Summit, that it gives UND its only legitimate chance to participate in March Madness.

The tribes have had their chance to save the name and they've chosen not to comply. It's time for UND's student athletes to have their chance and guarantee their place in the Summit.

Call me an elitist, but quite honestly I could care less about any sport that does not produce DI titles or professional athletes,

I've got plenty of entertainment options, and I'm not in it for charity to kids who wouldn't go to school without athletic scholarships.

Fighting Sioux to me is synonymous with elite hockey. DI is an experiment that I hope works out, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for March Madness, it floats a lot of people's boats and makes beaucoup $, but I'd rather watch the fighting Sioux hockey team than any bball game.

I know this site is for all Siouxsports, so I apologize for venturing outside of hockey.

One thing that North Dakota as a whole needs to accept is that we are never going to exist on a national level, we're simply too small. Supporting a great hockey club is probably the most we can hope for.

Call me an elitist, but quite honestly I could care less about any sport that produces meaningless Division I titles that no one outside of Minnesota or North Dakota really cares about. I honestly really don't care how many professional athletes the hockey team produces for a professional sports league that can't get better ratings than arena football or WWE wrestling.

I've got plenty of entertainment options, and I'm not in it for charity for kids who quite frankly wouldn't be athletic enough to earn an athletic scholarship in really any other sport and who for the most part never graduate and squander away their opportunity for an education.

To me Fighting Sioux may be synonymous with elite hockey but it's also synonymous with athletes like Phil Jackson, Jim Kleinsasser, and Chris Kuper who either excel or excelled in true professional sports leagues against some of the top athletes in the world. College hockey may be great while it lasts but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes the way of collegiate wrestling within 10 years.

As for collegiate hockey, it floats a lot of people in Grand Forks boats but I'd much rather watch nationally televised basketball and football games than any hockey game that won't be shown outside the state of ND.

I know there is a lot of hockey supporters who this post is seriously going to piss off but if somebody is going to come on here and take shots at the other athletic programs on campus then they are going to have a fight on their hands.

One thing that North Dakota needs to accept is that it can be a nationally recognized school in both athletics and academics but it needs to focus on areas that actually garner attention outside of he eastern ND and western MN.

Call me an elitist, but quite honestly I could care less about any sport that produces meaningless Division I titles that no one outside of Minnesota or North Dakota really cares about. I honestly really don't care how many professional athletes the hockey team produces for a professional sports league that can't get better ratings than arena football or WWE wrestling.

Shhhhh! The hockey gods are going to strike us all down if you anger them. :)

No offense, but I will not be giving you my write in vote for the next Governor of NoDak. But with vision like that, I would like to nominate you to be the next president of NDSU. :)

So if UND gets into MM and upsets a 5 seed then moves on and upsets another top team gets into the Sweet 16 you aren't going to get excited?? Sioux hockey is not the only thing at UND. As for football i can't wait til 2012 when we will have a shot at a national title. Fighting Sioux is ALL sports not just hockey.

When he's been refuted and beaten he adopts a new technique and accuses the other of being the one doing it. He actually has the techniques of internet "debate" (and I use that term horribly loosely) down exceptionally well.

The latest example is claiming "strawman" against me when in reality he's pulling a strawman: I asked about "non-revenue or Olympic" events and he brings up basketball (a revenue sport).

I've got plenty of entertainment options, and I'm not in it for charity for kids who quite frankly wouldn't be athletic enough to earn an athletic scholarship in really any other sport and who for the most part never graduate and squander away their opportunity for an education.

To me Fighting Sioux may be synonymous with elite hockey but it's also synonymous with athletes like Phil Jackson, Jim Kleinsasser, and Chris Kuper who either excel or excelled in true professional sports leagues against some of the top athletes in the world. College hockey may be great while it lasts but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes the way of collegiate wrestling within 10 years.

As for collegiate hockey, it floats a lot of people in Grand Forks boats but I'd much rather watch nationally televised basketball and football games than any hockey game that won't be shown outside the state of ND.

I know there is a lot of hockey supporters who this post is seriously going to piss off but if somebody is going to come on here and take shots at the other athletic programs on campus then they are going to have a fight on their hands.

One thing that North Dakota needs to accept is that it can be a nationally recognized school in both athletics and academics but it needs to focus on areas that actually garner attention outside of he eastern ND and western MN.

Well done!

Take that, hockey snobs!! :)

NDSU got more national publicity from March Madness (including the promo done on the NDSU bball players helping out with the Fargo floods) than any other team in the history of collegiate sports in North Dakota!!!!

BBall is the only way that NDSU and UND are going to be put on the national map any time soon (unless we go FBS football and somehow pull off a Boise State).

You don't have to like it, it's just the truth. Hockey is a cult sport and the cult lives in Canada and the northern US.

When he's been refuted and beaten he adopts a new technique and accuses the other of being the one doing it. He actually has the techniques of internet "debate" (and I use that term horribly loosely) down exceptionally well.

The latest example is claiming "strawman" against me when in reality he's pulling a strawman: I asked about "non-revenue or Olympic" events and he brings up basketball (a revenue sport).

You know exactly what you're doing and I simply won't allow it to happen.

Any discussion about why UND should pursue membership in the Summit as aggressively as possible must include basketball considerations! Any attempt to leave it out is obviously biased against joining the conference.

And it's not like UND can join the Summit for just the olympic sports and exclude bball.

So try your argument again, this time including bball. Or at the least, try to attempt to first explain what logical relevance having a discussion about just olympic sports has in the debate.

If everyone would just ignore MplsBison, this message board would be much enjoyable and I think the blood pressure level of many UND fans would be greatly reduced. There is absolutely no upside in debating any of these issues with him. Please ignore him!

Yeah MPLSBISONFAN is a Zippy.

So if UND gets into MM and upsets a 5 seed then moves on and upsets another top team gets into the Sweet 16 you aren't going to get excited?? Sioux hockey is not the only thing at UND. As for football i can't wait til 2012 when we will have a shot at a national title. Fighting Sioux is ALL sports not just hockey.

Personally, I could give three S#its about basketball, any basketball. A lot of hockey fans don't like hockey. Also a lot of Basketball fans don't like hockey so, no I would get excited and I wouldn't watch it. The only Basketball that I watched last year was Friday during the final five at Tom Reids when Moo U got beat and I had to fight to keep my attention on the screen. Boring.

One year, much less nine more months, in the 127 year history of UND is not "make or break".

I'll be patient enough to let this play out fully (Nov 2010).

PS - When's the last time UND Basketball or UND Football garnered secondary coverage in a eight-page spread in SI? As much as some may choose to downplay it, hockey does garner UND national and international exposure. The next two weeks in Vancouver will continue that theme.

The majority aren't on this board, apparently. Because those on this board are concerned only with whatever gives them the best chance to keep the nickname, at any cost to student athletes.

How you measure "costs" may not be the same way other measure "costs".

The cost of one year of no conference, how's that compare to the costs of a moniker/logo transition?

Courts, turf, uniforms, signage, ... (on and on and on) ... have we ever heard that number?

I'll trust UND Admin to smartly measure and weight the costs.

Well done!

Take that, hockey snobs!! :)

NDSU got more national publicity from March Madness (including the promo done on the NDSU bball players helping out with the Fargo floods) than any other team in the history of collegiate sports in North Dakota!!!!

BBall is the only way that NDSU and UND are going to be put on the national map any time soon (unless we go FBS football and somehow pull off a Boise State).

You don't have to like it, it's just the truth. Hockey is a cult sport and the cult lives in Canada and the northern US.

I just realized I'm part of a cult and I live in the northern US and that I LOVE IT. :sad: Sioux hockey is more recognizable on a National Level than any other sport in North Dakota. I thought what Ben Woodside & the Bison basketball team was outstanding last year, but Fighting Sioux hockey has been the most consistant high level team that North Dakota has produced.