SiouxSports.com Forum

SOME GOOD NEWS ?

Fetch

like star2city said..good question, but not really possible due to the terms of the settlement..and neither tribe gets money for the nickname right now...so that would change it too.

so couldn't we make a deal so they DO get some of the money? a little bit of the money for every piece of merchandise or ticket sold. we could raise prices on tickets and merchandise, sioux fans would still pay, and it'd still be worth it to keep the name.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so couldn't we make a deal so they DO get some of the money? a little bit of the money for every piece of merchandise or ticket sold. we could raise prices on tickets and merchandise, sioux fans would still pay, and it'd still be worth it to keep the name.

Why didn't UND do this like 20 years ago? Giving the tribes a piece of the action might have been the one thing that could've saved the nickname.

Now, basically you're asking them to let UND use their name without getting anything in return. I can see why they're miffed.

We could, but the SR has said that they would not accept taking money for the nickname as a reason for letting us keep the nickname and Spirit Lake voted for us to keep the nickname without the use of money because they don't want the money either.

Why didn't UND do this like 20 years ago? Giving the tribes a piece of the action might have been the one thing that could've saved the nickname.

Now, basically you're asking them to let UND use their name without getting anything in return. I can see why they're miffed.

So it is about money and not Racism or defamation of their heritage? All of the other noble things people are trying to say.

Board member Grant Shaft told the board today that, upon further questioning of Faison, he understands that there are two opportunities for UND to apply to join the league, once early in March when league members meet by telephone and once in June when they meet in person. The June meeting is the more critical one, Shaft said, though Faison still maintained that the sooner the nickname is dealt with the better.

Obviously Faison didn't tell the board this back in October. Why did he hide this??

There is a very good chance that he did not know this back in October!

How many College Presidents & Athletic Directors have been Canned (or resigned) for Stupidity ? ? ?

Anybody who is actually looking at things objectively will realize that we have probably the most competent President and AD that the school has had in the last 25 years. Kupchella did nothing more than collect a paycheck for his entire term but since he occassionally rattled a sword in defense of he nickname he's now idolized by nickname supporters across the state despite the fact he almost ran the university into the ground. Thomas, while being a great football coach and a likeable guy, turned the athletic department over to the REA which created about 90 percent of the problems we're currently facing. I don't know how you can describe Buning's term in the AD position as anything less than a disaster.

If you ask Kelly and Faison they'd probably tell you they'd love to keep the nickname. It would definitely make their jobs a lot easier, but being as they actually will face some level of accountability if the Division I move fails, unlike REA managment, they have to act in the best long-term interest of the university. This means taking a much more measured response to this nickname controversy as it's essentially a lost cause at this point.

In a way both men are in no-win situation regarding the nickname. Fighting hard to keep the nickname will only damage the school in the long- run as it will most likely derail the Division I move and will probably damage the entire school eventually as the NCAA will no doubt take future measures to end the Fighting Sioux nickname. Meanwhile when the nickname changes, REA and other die-hard nickname supporters will probably run these two out of town which is a crying shame. If the past is any indicator we only need to look at the poor performance of their predecessors to see what we can expect from their future replacements.

How many College Presidents & Athletic Directors have been Canned (or resigned) for Stupidity ? ? ?

You know they cancelled "Lance Link - Secret Chimp" on TV because they forced the chimps to smoke cigarettes for human amusement right?? I'm afraid your credibility is suffering because of your avatar...just fyi!

If you ask Kelly and Faison they'd probably tell you they'd love to keep the nickname. It would definitely make their jobs a lot easier, but being as they actually will face some level of accountability if the Division I move fails, unlike REA managment, they have to act in the best long-term interest of the university. This means taking a much more measured response to this nickname controversy as it's essentially a lost cause at this point.

I have to disagree - It would make their jobs easier because they wouldn't have to worry about the negatives that go along with the name. It's a PC world now and if you keep it, it will dog the university for as long as you have it. Both of them have no long standing love for the name like an alumnus would have. What UND alumus have to ask yourselves if the name is changed - where are my loyalties - am I a graduate of UND or Sioux?

I have to disagree - It would make their jobs easier because they wouldn't have to worry about the negatives that go along with the name. It's a PC world now and if you keep it, it will dog the university for as long as you have it. Both of them have no long standing love for the name like an alumnus would have. What UND alumus have to ask yourselves if the name is changed - where are my loyalties - am I a graduate of UND or Sioux?

Lead the way Dan.

Change your handle to NDSU Dan. And all references to your favorite school, you must now always use NDSU, not the B-word.

Lead the way Dan.