SiouxSports.com Forum

Is There Another Win on the Schedule?

bincitysioux

61 North Dakota

73 Mayville St.

As a very passionate Sioux basketball fan, I am growing impatient with this coaching staff. This is the most embarassing loss for the program that I can recall. Forget DI, this type of performance would not have been acceptable in DII. Halftime adjustments have been a problem all season, whether the opponent is a Big Sky, Missouri Valley, NSIC, or DAC team.

Embarassing.

No other way to describe it.

I don't know if I would consider us favorites against St. Olaf in a few weeks. :glare:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

61 North Dakota

73 Mayville St.

As a very passionate Sioux basketball fan, I am growing impatient with this coaching staff. This is the most embarassing loss for the program that I can recall. Forget DI, this type of performance would not have been acceptable in DII. Halftime adjustments have been a problem all season, whether the opponent is a Big Sky, Missouri Valley, NSIC, or DAC team.

Embarassing.

No other way to describe it.

I don't know if I would consider us favorites against St. Olaf in a few weeks. :glare:

St. Olaf? We wouldn't be the favorite in an inner-squad game right now!!

Get the checkbook out for Mike Leaf.

At this point, short of a miraculous turn-around, I can't see much justification for bringing this coaching staff back for a 5th season. And I have been an intense Jones supporter since his application came across Tom Buning's desk......... :glare:

I wouldn't fire your coach until you have a conference invite in hand. Which could be soon, but I think it could be a struggle to bring a good coach without a conference invite.

Get Mike Leaf on the phone and see if he's interested contingent on a conference invite.

It's frustrating to watch a team that is so poor offensively. Have we had a really good scorer-shooter since Travis Tuttle played here?

This is a tough way to start a season. Are any of the guys on this roster going to all of a sudden become scorers? I doubt it. I wonder what

Faison is thinking. Coach Jones says he has a plan I hope it works out for him and UND.

this is almost worse then sioux falls but the football team redeemed there season!

Perhaps the basketball team will too! :glare:

what was faison thinking when he signed jones to an extension?

Not that it is relevant, but I believe it was Brekke serving as the Interim A.D. who gave Jones an extension after a remarkable run to finish out our last season in the NCC.

what was faison thinking when he signed jones to an extension?

this is almost worse then sioux falls but the football team redeemed there season!

Almost worse??? In my opinion this is definitely worse. I echo the sentiments of others that say this is unacceptable. It's one thing to lose to NAIA schools when your DII but when your DI? These should be exhibition games. Games where we get to see what our bench can do...unbelievable :glare:

"Princeton" offense or not... who really cares at this point? Maybe losing to Mayville State will get some people to wake the f' up.

Its going to be a major miracle to put a product on the floor that makes people outside of Grand Forks, or maybe even in Grand Forks, show up to watch.

Refresh the memory time... Was Ben Jacobson still assisting Mac at UNI when Jones was named head coach? Or did Mac to ISU happen before that?

Refresh the memory time... Was Ben Jacobson still assisting Mac at UNI when Jones was named head coach? Or did Mac to ISU happen before that?

I believe Jake was still assistant at UNI. Mac took the Iowa St. job the year after Jones was hired. Jacobson didn't apply for the job if that is what your wondering.

Back to my original question, based on our play from Friday through Monday, who can we beat that we have left to play? Perhaps Chicago St., Houston Baptist, and St. Olaf. If the guys can re-focus, Northern Illinois would be about the only established DI opponent that is vulnerable, but really, that's about all I can see about now. Record-wise, this could turn out to be one of the worst UND basketball seasons in decades.

Back to my original question, based on our play from Friday through Monday, who can we beat that we have left to play? Perhaps Chicago St., Houston Baptist, and St. Olaf. If the guys can re-focus, Northern Illinois would be about the only established DI opponent that is vulnerable, but really, that's about all I can see about now. Record-wise, this could turn out to be one of the worst UND basketball seasons in decades.

The last two, NJIT has been the worst DI men's BB, as they lost 51 straight games.

But this year, they actually have won three games (including 2 DIII wins:

Vermont 88, NJIT 49

NJIT 78, SUNY Cobleskill 40

Seton Hall 93, NJIT 53

Stony Brook 60, NJIT 46

NJIT 56, Wagner 51

Lafayette 69, NJIT 52

NJIT 96, St. Joseph's (NY) 54

Manhattan 70, NJIT 58

Unless the Sioux improve, we could have the worst DI team.

I don't think Chicago State is realistic. Maybe NJIT and St. Olaf. I was afraid the Bison may be that bad this year, but they have surprised me. They have their last chance for an embarrassing loss tomorrow(Dickinson State). I'll be glad when thats over. Those games always scare me.

At this point, short of a miraculous turn-around, I can't see much justification for bringing this coaching staff back for a 5th season. And I have been an intense Jones supporter since his application came across Tom Buning's desk......... :)

I am in total agreement with you on this Bin. I've been behind Jones thinking he would turn the corner. This put the program back 5 years. :glare:

I agree that this loss is unacceptable and should not happen. But don't ask Mike Berg or he'll simply say "We lost to a darn good basketball team tonight." :glare: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Now getting serious again, this is much worse than the FB team losing to USF. The Men's BB team has been irrelevant (with the exception of the Jerome Beasley era) since the early 1990's. There is no tradition, no recent winning history to build on. The program is basically where the Women's Hockey program is! In fact, I would argue that Women's Hockey is on stronger footing at this point! :)

For the first time, I am having serious doubts that Jones is the right person to build this program.

RealtimeRPI shows UND at #335, ahead of Houston Baptist, Chicago St and UT-Arlington, one of the teams we lost to at the Drake tournament.

335 North Dakota 0-8 0.3219 296 0.4292 Indp 0-0

Down 1 From Last Week

336 St. Francis (NY) 2-5 0.3178 344 0.3336 Neast 0-1

337 Houston Baptist 1-7 0.3174 318 0.3938 Indp 0-0

338 Tenn-Martin 0-5 0.3131 306 0.4174 Ovc 0-2

Up 1 From Last Week

339 Fla Gulf Coast 0-6 0.3078 314 0.4105 Atsun 0-0

Down 1 From Last Week

340 Marist 0-6 0.2932 321 0.3909 Maac 0-2

341 Winston-Salem 0-5 0.2868 325 0.3824 Indp 0-0

Up 3 From Last Week

342 Delaware St. 1-3 0.2839 345 0.3161 Meac 0-1

Down 1 From Last Week

343 McNeese St. 1-5 0.2838 343 0.3400 Sland 0-0

344 MD Baltimore Cty. 0-7 0.2830 327 0.3774 Aeast 0-0

Down 2 From Last Week

345 TX Arlington 2-3 0.2826 346 0.2477 Sland 0-0

346 Chicago St. 0-3 0.2769 334 0.3692 Indp 0-0

347 Wagner 0-6 0.2698 337 0.3598 Neast 0-2

I don't think Chicago State is realistic. Maybe NJIT and St. Olaf.

I think Chicago St. is down quite a bit from last year, as they lost their big time scorer, and thought New Jersey Tech is improved a bit, but didn't realize 2 of their 3 wins were against DIII's. At any rate, it is looking like a single-digit win season for UND. :glare:

This is a horrible and embarrassing loss and totally unacceptable. Not only would we finish near the bottom of the NSIC, but apparently near the bottom of the DAC.

But, if nothing else, this will at least show Kelley the plight of this program, so it gets the attention it needs. Attendance will be absolutely miserable for the rest of the season.

I would hope Faison would know how to turn this around: the one sport that N Mex St fans demanded success in was men's BB (albeit at the Sun Belt or Big West level).

This is a horrible and embarrassing loss and totally unacceptable. Not only would we finish near the bottom of the NSIC, but apparently near the bottom of the DAC.

But, if nothing else, this will at least show Kelley the plight of this program, so it gets the attention it needs. Attendance will be absolutely miserable for the rest of the season.

I would hope Faison would know how to turn this around: the one sport that N Mex St fans demanded success in was men's BB (albeit at the Sun Belt or Big West level).

I agree, talk about a wake-up call.