SiouxSports.com Forum

Is There Another Win on the Schedule?

bincitysioux

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone else as embarrassed about Sioux Men's basketball than I am?

I fully understand the transition to D1 and knew that we'd be taking our lumps especially when we played the teams from the bigger conferences. What I wasn't counting on is losing to teams like Mayville State. I also was expecting that as the season went along some of the freshmen that had been redshirted would begin to show their promise and show us more.

This team is getting outscored on an average of 72-56. In the majority of the losses they have not been competitive. The scores are actually closer than most of these games really were. Of the 56 points we're still getting about half from the 3 seniors and a third from two of the juniors. Only one player on this team is averaging in double figures.

What makes anyone think that next year we will be more competitive when half the points will graduate?

Now is it coaching? Is Brian Jones the right head coach? Is it recruiting? Is it that I'm too impatient?

I chalk it up to a transition year. I would never say I am embarassed by a UND team unless it is clear the players have given up on themselves, which I doubt is happening.

The move to Division I means perpetual mediocrity for sports such as basketball. Look at the 64 teams that make the tournement those with seeds lower than 12 are almost always bounced in the first round and lower level conferences never get seeds higher than 12. Yes there are exceptions but not very often.

We need to enjoy and support the basketball season and team no matter what their record. I would say if next year we are still losing every game by double digits - it would be time for a coaching change.

I chalk it up to a transition year. I would never say I am embarassed by a UND team unless it is clear the players have given up on themselves, which I doubt is happening.

The move to Division I means perpetual mediocrity for sports such as basketball. Look at the 64 teams that make the tournement those with seeds lower than 12 are almost always bounced in the first round and lower level conferences never get seeds higher than 12. Yes there are exceptions but not very often. We need to enjoy and support the basketball season and team no matter what their record. I would say if next year we are still losing every game by double digits - it would be time for a coaching change.

but that 1 run deeper than thought gains the school more publicity than ANY DII, DIII, NAIA championship EVER would, and thats not debatable. Even what NDSU did last year got them more attention than the DII champs, CBS sent a crue with them, gave them cameras, ESPN at the Midnight Madness it was great marketing no matter what others say or think.

but that 1 run deeper than thought gains the school more publicity than ANY DII, DIII, NAIA championship EVER would, and thats not debatable. Even what NDSU did last year got them more attention than the DII champs, CBS sent a crue with them, gave them cameras, ESPN at the Midnight Madness it was great marketing no matter what others say or think.

100% Agree.

Agree with those statements. But ... where's the interest in Bison basketball this year? Attendance is down. In most DII years, there was more attendance than this year. It's almost as if last year didn't happen - fans either don't care or it is forgotten. Attempts to make men's BB into the second cash generator for NDSU is just not happening, and won't happen as long as they are playing in the BSA.

Agree with those statements. But ... where's the interest in Bison basketball this year? Attendance is down. In most DII years, there was more attendance than this year. It's almost as if last year didn't happen - fans either don't care or it is forgotten. Attempts to make men's BB into the second cash generator for NDSU is just not happening, and won't happen as long as they are playing in the BSA.

yeah I'll bite. Its a serious rebuilding year and most of the people following the program KNEW this year was going to be 4 new guys and 1 vet. (Tveidt) next year will be different. I'm not saying it will take several game to get people rolling again but we have already signed and got verbals from some players that will be real game changers (if they can adapt to the college ball) Trayvonn Wright #81 PF overall from Iowa, and Marshall Bjorkland from MN, along with the developing youngins WILL compete in the Summit

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/t...amp;season=2010

The accomplishments Nelson, Woodside, Winkleman and Andre Smith (better than Mooreman) did have already helped with recruiting. But I do agree the BSA is a complete and total !@$! hole

BTW we are still averaging 2500 FPG

yeah I'll bite. Its a serious rebuilding year and most of the people following the program KNEW this year was going to be 4 new guys and 1 vet. (Tveidt) next year will be different. I'm not saying it will take several game to get people rolling again but we have already signed and got verbals from some players that will be real game changers (if they can adapt to the college ball) Trayvonn Wright #81 PF overall from Iowa, and Marshall Bjorkland from MN, along with the developing youngins WILL compete in the Summit

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/t...amp;season=2010

The accomplishments Nelson, Woodside, Winkleman and Andre Smith (better than Mooreman) did have already helped with recruiting. But I do agree the BSA is a complete and total !@$! hole

BTW we are still averaging 2500 FPG

Agree that NDSU has some good prospective recruits, but current seniors like Sussenguth, Vaughn, Pennick, and Flowers were also hyped a lot in the media and they haven't really developed and lived up to hopes.

What Woodside, Winkleman and Nelson accomplished and how they continued to develop was impressive, and what they did helped with recruiting, but honestly, a repeat of that type team is something NDSU might not experience again for a generation. More NCAA bids might be possible in a few years, but as a 15 or 16 seed.

Agree that NDSU has some good prospective recruits, but seniors like Sussenguth, Vaughn, Pennick, and Flowers were also hyped a lot in the media and they haven't really lived up to hopes.

What Woodside, Winkleman and Nelson accomplished was impressive and did help with recruiting, but honestly, a repeat of that type team is something NDSU might not experience again for a generation. More NCAA bids might be possible in a few years, but as a 15 or 16 seed.

pretty hard to judge players that seen the court like 10 minutes total last year, this years seniors never got a shot, I'll admit it, but how can you say NDSU will NEVER get recruits like those again? When Woodside, Winks, Nelson were recruited they were not wanted by any other DI schools, but Miles threw it out there and recognized their talent. The huge advantage they had was they played 5 years together, thats something that most schools don't get. Trust me NDSU and UND will get a jewel in the rough now and then but your right, we will not get the "star" every year

pretty hard to judge players that seen the court like 10 minutes total last year, this years seniors never got a shot, I'll admit it, but how can you say NDSU will NEVER get recruits like those again? When Woodside, Winks, Nelson were recruited they were not wanted by any other DI schools, but Miles threw it out there and recognized their talent. The huge advantage they had was they played 5 years together, thats something that most schools don't get. Trust me NDSU and UND will get a jewel in the rough now and then but your right, we will not get the "star" every year

Agree NDSU will get a jewel in the rough every now and then (would like to see UND get one soon :D ) , but getting Woodside, Winkleman and Nelson in the same year was like winning the trifecta. With stars separated by classes by a few years, they don't have the luxury of developing together.

We are average 3k for DI non-conference games, that is consistent with last year. Nobody cares about the non-DI games, glad the Summit will be limiting them to just one per season in a few years. But yeah the BSA does suck.

That is better attendance than I realized. Is that tickets sold or actual attendees? Guess I just don't sense much excitement in the Fargo media.

That is better attendance than I realized. Is that tickets sold or actual attendees? Guess I just don't sense much excitement in the Fargo media.

I want to say it is actual, usually the announced numbers seem very accurate(not like some of the football games).The excitement is down though, but that could have something to do with not winning games.

I am really interested in seeing what the attendance will be for Oral Roberts on Saturday, that game has been a great draw in both the previous two seasons.

Just to clarify, Nelson, Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin, was asked by Bo Ryan to walk on at Wisconsin and Woodside, was asked to walk on at the Minnesota (Monson was still the head coach).

You are right, they weren't really wanted but interest, however mild, was there. What made Tim such a great coach was his ability to get those kids to come to NDSU. The man could recruit, especially the midwest. It hasn't gone as well at Col. St. Hopefully he's getting used to the area and starting to find those kids in that part of the country too.