SiouxSports.com Forum

What will happen to the Nickle?

Brasco

Speaking of which, where is that nickel physically located?

I asked our great President, Robert Kelly of UC Berkely where it was and he looked at me like I asked where he was hiding the WMD's. He said, "I guess I should know that."

I asked another UND Prof if he knew and he said he had no clue.

Wow, what pride.

The Nickel, probably sitting next to Sitting Bull (the Trophy that should have NEVER been retired).

Stupid PC'ers.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nickel, probably sitting next to Sitting Bull (the Trophy that should have NEVER been retired).

Stupid PC'ers.

The Nickel, Sitting Bull and the last National Title won by any North Dakota School, (D2 or higher-UND Football 2001) all sit in the same Trophy case....In Grand Forks

Speaking of which, where is that nickel physically located?

I asked our great President, Robert Kelly of UC Berkely where it was and he looked at me like I asked where he was hiding the WMD's. He said, "I guess I should know that."

I asked another UND Prof if he knew and he said he had no clue.

Wow, what pride.

When Lennon was coaching only a few knew where it was and they weren't allowed on the same plane. It's hidden because NDSU students would break into the Sioux locker room to try and steal it even after they had gone DI.

The Nickel, Sitting Bull and the last National Title won by any North Dakota School, (D2 or higher-UND Football 2001) all sit in the same Trophy case....In Grand Forks

I assume you are talking about football national championships. Because both NDSU and SDSU won national championships after that in other sports.

I assume you are talking about football national championships. Because both NDSU and SDSU won national championships after that in other sports.

SDSU is not in North Dakota last I checked.....?

What National Title has NDSU won since 2001.....?

The only other National Title in North Dakota that I am aware of since 2001 is Dickinson State Track (NAIA).....?

The only other National Title in North Dakota that I am aware of since 2001 is Dickinson State Track (NAIA).....?

I think Walrus might be right. Wrestling was the last one for NDSU in spring of 2001 I think. Speaking of wrestling, it's too bad that the UND program got scrapped due to Title IX.

Didn't they win a softball championship after that?

Wow, time flies when your hating someone. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago.

I'm just guessing but there are probably 30 National Titles in the last 20 years between UND and NDSU, I'm wondering what the next 20 years will bring.... :)

Not that it has anything to do with this already off track thread, but the only non-UND/NDSU national championships/appearances I know of are:

Minot State University Beavers

2002 NAIA Men's Cross Country National Champions

2003 NAIA Men's Cross Country National Champions

Dickinson State University BlueHawks

2006 NAIA Men's Outdoor Track & Field National Champions

Mayville State University Comets

2007 NAIA Men's DII Basketball National Runners-Up

I would think football is really the only option for either school to win a national championship taking into consideration the fact that it is the only sport that separates I-AA from the rest of D1.

I wonder if the NCAA would get rid of the FCS and just have D1 football like basketball? Since congress was talking about a FBC playoff system and eliminating the BS i mean the BCS.

So who is going to win the first D1 title (not hockey) UND or NDSU??? In any sport. I would think UND with swimming and diving should have an edge we know its not basketball for either team...football maybe.

DI Hockey titles count. DI is DI. :)

UND Swimming & Diving (men or women), although massively dominant in the NCC and DII, never won a DII National Championship.

Get me about thirty 25-year-old Canadians (that's for our Goofie friends), some sticks, a couple nets, and the Alerus Center and I'll get you a DI mens lacrosse title. :lol:;)

DI Hockey titles count. DI is DI. :)

UND Swimming & Diving (men or women), although massively dominant in the NCC and DII, never won a DII National Championship.

Get me about thirty 25-year-old Canadians (that's for our Goofie friends), some sticks, a couple nets, and the Alerus Center and I'll get you a DI mens lacrosse title. ;) ;)

I could see that one coming. :lol:

Option 1: It should be retired and given to the state historical society, after all it represents one of the longest running football rivalries in the country.

Option 2: UND should keep it, although because of the chance of it being stolen they probably would need to find a place way up high in the Alerus to display it under lock and key. They keep it because they own the overall won/loss record and they won the last meeting.

Not an option: putting it back into circulation if the teams every play again. It will never again officially be the Sioux vs. Bison so a new trophy is in order. Perhaps a giant coin that has UND on one side and NDSU on the other.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if the NCAA would get rid of the FCS and just have D1 football like basketball? Since congress was talking about a FBC playoff system and eliminating the BS i mean the BCS.

not a chance.

the gap between great fbs teams and great fcs teams is much too large. talent in football is definitely spread across a wider spectrum than it is in other sports. look at hockey for example. just about every team in d1 has several players who are already pro material, that is not the case at all when you compare fbs football to the nfl. if one player on a given college football team could go pro, then that team is probably awesome.

plus a football tournament can't really have more than 16 teams in it. even with 32 teams, you'd have to play five games to win it all. that's half the number of games they play in the entire regular season, which isn't going to happen. so with only 16 teams, you would never see a team currently playing fcs in the tournament, so what's the point? at least in basketball and hockey, you can win your conference and get in. football couldn't support that policy though.

personally, i think they should just call the divisions what the are:

fbs = d1

fcs = d2

d2 = d3

d3 = liberal arts college...focus on your studies