SiouxSports.com Forum

What will happen to the Nickle?

Brasco

not a chance.

the gap between great fbs teams and great fcs teams is much too large. talent in football is definitely spread across a wider spectrum than it is in other sports. look at hockey for example. just about every team in d1 has several players who are already pro material, that is not the case at all when you compare fbs football to the nfl. if one player on a given college football team could go pro, then that team is probably awesome.

plus a football tournament can't really have more than 16 teams in it. even with 32 teams, you'd have to play five games to win it all. that's half the number of games they play in the entire regular season, which isn't going to happen. so with only 16 teams, you would never see a team currently playing fcs in the tournament, so what's the point? at least in basketball and hockey, you can win your conference and get in. football couldn't support that policy though.

personally, i think they should just call the divisions what the are:

fbs = d1

fcs = d2

d2 = d3

d3 = liberal arts college...focus on your studies

It might work if the big schools split away from the NCAA and formed their own division. IE, schools with athletics budgets of 20M or more.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up with the Ultimate Fan Experience in Bismark having the Nickle Throphy available last week for the public to view? We had 3 former Sioux football players in town for the Spring game this year (Jimmy K, Chris Kuper and WD). UND held a gathering at the CanadInn for fans and alums along with the above three guys, and they had the McNaughton Cup there? Don't get me wrong, it was great to be able to see and have my photo taken with the cup. I guess I just think they would have had the Nickle Throphy there before the McNaughton cup. Just jealous of Bismark I guess.

What's up with the Ultimate Fan Experience in Bismark having the Nickle Throphy available last week for the public to view? We had 3 former Sioux football players in town for the Spring game this year (Jimmy K, Chris Kuper and WD). UND held a gathering at the CanadInn for fans and alums along with the above three guys, and they had the McNaughton Cup there? Don't get me wrong, it was great to be able to see and have my photo taken with the cup. I guess I just think they would have had the Nickle Throphy there before the McNaughton cup. Just jealous of Bismark I guess.

We had the Cup and the Nickel in Bismarck. Got a great picture of my two youngest daughters in their Sioux Cheerleader outfits with both of them. :D

We can both sit here and argue about who dominated the 80's (bison), who dominated the 90's (sioux), who has the premiere hockey (sioux), who has broken some ground with mens basketball (bison). BUT, truth is, neither one of us mean sh*t to the rest of the schools out there as far as schools from north dakota in DI. You guys can sit here and blow all you want about hockey, but it doesn't mean anything. Just talk to some montana fans about DI hockey, you will get laughed at. Truth is, both schools need to step up and prove themselves in what counts, FOOTBALL. Atleast at our level. Retire the Nickel if that is what it takes, make a new trophy, but we need to renew the rivalry, and 1 of us needs to do something. We sucked last year, probably will this year, but so do you. We got dominated by SDSU 2 years in a row, and you guys got your *ss handed to you by GVSU how many years in a row, maybe they kicked you out of DII? I'm sick of the arguing.

We can both sit here and argue about who dominated the 80's (bison), who dominated the 90's (sioux), who has the premiere hockey (sioux), who has broken some ground with mens basketball (bison). BUT, truth is, neither one of us mean sh*t to the rest of the schools out there as far as schools from north dakota in DI. You guys can sit here and blow all you want about hockey, but it doesn't mean anything. Just talk to some montana fans about DI hockey, you will get laughed at. Truth is, both schools need to step up and prove themselves in what counts, FOOTBALL. Atleast at our level. Retire the Nickel if that is what it takes, make a new trophy, but we need to renew the rivalry, and 1 of us needs to do something. We sucked last year, probably will this year, but so do you. We got dominated by SDSU 2 years in a row, and you guys got your *ss handed to you by GVSU how many years in a row, maybe they kicked you out of DII? I'm sick of the arguing.

great post.

That is a straw man's argument because hockey is a niche sport, none the less, most people out side of the west would laugh at Montana anything, insert your favorite Montana Joke, however, if you mention UND to someone from a hockey state they would say oh yeah UND Fighting Sioux Hockey is a power house hockey. In the next breath they would probably say who the heck is the Bison?

That is a straw man's argument because hockey is a niche sport, none the less, most people out side of the west would laugh at Montana anything, insert your favorite Montana Joke, however, if you mention UND to someone from a hockey state they would say oh yeah UND Fighting Sioux Hockey is a power house hockey. In the next breath they would probably say who the heck is the Bison?

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Marquette and Central Michigan know about us.

Do card-carrying booster club members in Minneapolis and Madison grab the schedule and circle the dates you're coming to town every year?

There's known.

And then there's looked forward to with, shall we politely say, emotion-filled anticipation.

UND can garner that "anticipation" in Minneapolis, Madison, Denver, and even in Ann Arbor or on Chestnut Hill.

It's good to be ... "loved" ... by so many.

Do card-carrying booster club members in Minneapolis and Madison grab the schedule and circle the dates you're coming to town every year?

There's known.

And then there's looked forward to with, shall we politely say, emotion-filled anticipation.

UND can garner that "anticipation" in Minneapolis, Madison, Denver, and even in Ann Arbor or on Chestnut Hill.

Yeah pretty sure they are talking about the Sioux more often. Especially have a two game series between the Badger and the Sioux and the Sioux and the Gophers in WCHA hockey.

There's known.

I have a feeling that the Gophers will look forward to our football game in 2011, esp if Brewster is still the coach.

I have a feeling that the Gophers will look forward to our football game in 2011, esp if Brewster is still the coach.

Yeah but will NDSU still be looking forward to it? In GF, we look forward to the U of Minn, and the Univ. of Wisc. EVERY year!!! No hope for upsets, just line up and play...............best team wins and both sets of fans know it.

It could have been a great post if only he'd left out the part where he said hockey doesn't matter because people in Montana don't follow it. We don't live in Montana, we live in North Dakota. D1 hockey and I-AA football are about equal in terms of publicity here in North Dakota. The fact that a particular sport's popularity is mostly confined to certain regions does not make that sport irrelevant, and to think that it does shows ignorance. Why can't Bison fans ever make a point without taking a potshot at the sport of hockey?

I would like to amend my post by saying "great post. EXCEPT for the part about hockey not meaning anything".

He made some good points about the other stuff though.

Yeah but will NDSU still be looking forward to it? In GF, we look forward to the U of Minn, and the Univ. of Wisc. EVERY year!!! No hope for upsets, just line up and play...............best team wins and both sets of fans know it.

Really? Both schools are on equal footing in hockey - way different from FCS to BCS. NDSU will be looking forward to beating the Gophers again. You can count on it.

Really? Both schools are on equal footing in hockey - way different from FCS to BCS. NDSU will be looking forward to beating the Gophers again. You can count on it.

I'll say this much, you are some of the most loyal folks I've ever seen. The odds of SU ever beating the U of Minn. in football ever again have to be astronomical. I believe that you think you'll win. That's why its impossible to have any kind of conversation with you. You have no objectivity.

I will always support UND athletics, but I will never buy any merchandise that has a logo or name other than the Sioux on it. I would buy items that say UND on them or University of North Dakota but can promise you I will never buy anything with a name or logo different than The Fighting Sioux. And I am pretty sure I am not alone in this. I don't think you will stop hearing "lets go Sioux" in our sports arenas for a long, long time.

Brewster has been pulling some very high ranked talent to Minn...and with the new stadium I think the Gophs could be the next Louisville.

We'll see I guess.

I could honestly give a !@#$ less about the gophers playing ndsu. They beat a team that was 1-10 and had a new coaching staff and was trying to use existing players to fit a new system. They lost to Bowling Green and Florida Atlantic while taking Miami of Ohio into 3 OT's. Not exactly D-1 football powers. I would also expect a solid DI-AA program to beat Florida Atlantic. Is it a huge deal to me? No only cause I don't care about either school, is it a big deal to ndsu, ofcourse, but they have a board for thier fans to discuss it.

I could honestly give a !@#$ less about the gophers playing ndsu. They beat a team that was 1-10 and had a new coaching staff and was trying to use existing players to fit a new system. They lost to Bowling Green and Florida Atlantic while taking Miami of Ohio into 3 OT's. Not exactly D-1 football powers. I would also expect a solid DI-AA program to beat Florida Atlantic. Is it a huge deal to me? No only cause I don't care about either school, is it a big deal to ndsu, ofcourse, but they have a board for thier fans to discuss it.

Yeah that Gopher team was pretty impressive.

I'll say this much, you are some of the most loyal folks I've ever seen. The odds of SU ever beating the U of Minn. in football ever again have to be astronomical. I believe that you think you'll win. That's why its impossible to have any kind of conversation with you. You have no objectivity.

And you go into every Sioux game that you're not the favorite and mark it down as a loss? I remember when we went DI you all said we wouldn't win this or that but we have proved most of you wrong. Until I see MN going head to head with Ohio State and being in the game I like our chances just fine with them. (remember App State and Mich.) Since your so objective what's on tap next year for the Sioux with a full DI schedule?

And you go into every Sioux game that you're not the favorite and mark it down as a loss? I remember when we went DI you all said we wouldn't win this or that but we have proved most of you wrong. Until I see MN going head to head with Ohio State and being in the game I like our chances just fine with them. (remember App State and Mich.) Since your so objective what's on tap next year for the Sioux with a full DI schedule?

I actually agree with Dan on this one(holy !@#$ mark that down). I don't think there is anything wrong with being confident in the team you cheer for. I always think the Sioux have a chance, sometimes more than others, but I never write them off. Its an old saying but thats why they play the games.

And you go into every ... game that you're not the favorite and mark it down as a loss?

Ah, but the rub:

Those who know football knew that NDSU was the favorite against that Minnesota squad.

Worst Minnesota team, any sport, in a century.

Ah, but the rub:

Those who know football knew that NDSU was the favorite against that Minnesota squad.

How quickly some forget about the ill-fated 1909 Minnesota pie throwing team. 0-54 loss to the Saint Paul Sportsmen, including the record setting 12 "facers" by all-american Clarence "King of Cream" St. Croix.

Ah, but the rub:

Sicatoka you're jealousy is so obvious. Was the 06 MN team bad too. 6-5 went to a bowl game. We controlled just about the whole game with them before falling short on the score. Brought more than 20,000 fans down to the dome twice, great time by all. You can poo poo the 07 MN team all you want but the fact is we beat a BIG 10 football team, something the Sioux might never do.

Sicatoka you're jealousy is so obvious. Was the 06 MN team bad too. 6-5 went to a bowl game. We controlled just about the whole game with them before falling short on the score. Brought more than 20,000 fans down to the dome twice, great time by all. You can poo poo the 07 MN team all you want but the fact is we beat a BIG 10 football team, something the Sioux might never do.

That is true because odds are there will never be a team as bad as that 07 Gophers team in the history of the Big Ten. So UND will never get that chance, that one chance to play arguably the worst team in Big Ten History.