SiouxSports.com Forum

What will happen to the Nickle?

Brasco

With the Sioux name and logo being changed, I was wondering what will happen to the Nickle trophy? We all know it is only a matter of time before UND and NDSU meet in football and it would be too bad if the trophy is altered.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Sioux name and logo being changed, I was wondering what will happen to the Nickle trophy? We all know it is only a matter of time before UND and NDSU meet in football and it would be too bad if the trophy is altered.

If the name goes, I say the nickle goes with it. It stays right where it is. Start a new traveling trophy. NDSU is used to that.

If the name goes, I say the nickle goes with it. It stays right where it is. Start a new traveling trophy. NDSU is used to that.

How is UND's trophy case looking? pretty bare I would guess considering they only won 1 NCAA football title, while NDSU'S case is full of 7 NCAA titles :D

At least the kids who are currently in college can actually remember when UND's title was won. NDSU needs to dust the cobwebs off those old trophies of theirs. Yeah, the Bison once had a great football team... so did the Oakland Raiders. Where are they now? When was the last time they so much as hosted a single playoff game? Did we have internet and cell phones back then?

Atleast Bison football has history and tradition when it comes to titles, something the Sioux football team cannot claim.

Atleast Bison football has history and tradition when it comes to titles, something the Sioux football team cannot claim.

As it pertains to titles, bison football IS history.

The Raiders have actually been to a super bowl in this decade.

My buddy's grandpa used to tell my buddy's and I how they had to walk up hill both ways in 8 feet of snow to the last home playoff game they had in the Fargodome, oh wait I mean at Dacotah Field. I forgot the only playoff games the Fargodome has seen has been of the high school variety. Those are fun to I guess.

At least the kids who are currently in college can actually remember when UND's title was won. NDSU needs to dust the cobwebs off those old trophies of theirs. Yeah, the Bison once had a great football team... so did the Oakland Raiders. Where are they now? When was the last time they so much as hosted a single playoff game? Did we have internet and cell phones back then?

:D:love: Sir-Mix-a-Lot hit number one with "Baby Got Back", "Melrose Place" was the hot new TV show, and "Wayne's World" hit the big screen! ;)

Speaking of which, where is that nickel physically located?

I asked our great President, Robert Kelly of UC Berkely where it was and he looked at me like I asked where he was hiding the WMD's. He said, "I guess I should know that."

I asked another UND Prof if he knew and he said he had no clue.

Wow, what pride.

DII NC

NDSU

8 FB NC

4 Wrestling NC

5 WBB NC

1 Softball NC

1 M Cross Country

UND

1 FB NC

4 WBB NC

Not much more to say :);)

No no no Danny. You guys spent the last 5 years degrading D2 for how poor it is and telling us how you've moved on to a new level. Your not coming back and bragging about all the championships won at that level now. Those are ancient history according to the new FCS Bison fans, you can't have it both ways.

No no no Danny. You guys spent the last 5 years degrading D2 for how poor it is and telling us how you've moved on to a new level. Your not coming back and bragging about all the championships won at that level now. Those are ancient history according to the new FCS Bison fans, you can't have it both ways.

Yup, more than once we've heard all that matters is DI, so, following the guidance given ...

DI NC

NDSU

(this space intentionally blank)

UND

7 Mens Ice Hockey NC

Not much more to say :)

DII NC

NDSU

8 FB NC

4 Wrestling NC

5 WBB NC

1 Softball NC

1 M Cross Country

UND

1 FB NC

4 WBB NC

Not much more to say :);)

That's a useful reminder to everyone. NDSU used to compete for national titles. They older I get, the better I used to be.

Twist it anyway you want but we all know that NDSU had more dominate DII sports programs.

And what is your point? NDSU fans can't have it both ways. Either DII was important or it wasn't. NDSU did very well in DII sports, but not as well in the last decade they played in DII. NDSU won more DII National Titles than UND. But many NDSU fans claim that DII isn't important now that they aren't there. UND has won more DI National Titles than NDSU. Which is more important? UND had a lot of success at DII. NDSU has had good success for its brief time in DI. They both have had a lot of success in athletics over the past 100 years. So what is your point?

Twist it anyway you want but we all know that NDSU had more dominate DII sports programs.

Princeton has more DI football national championships than Michigan, USC, Oklahoma, Florida, LSU, Alabama, well everyone. Problem is if no one can remember them what good are they. They are sure fun to talk about I guess. The graduating high school seniors this year from Fargo haven't even got to see a home playoff game. I'm sure their parents tell good stories about them though. I guess according to your logic Princeton has been the most dominate DI football program ever. News to me.

Princeton has more DI football national championships than Michigan, USC, Oklahoma, Florida, LSU, Alabama, well everyone. Problem is if no one can remember them what good are they. They are sure fun to talk about I guess. The graduating high school seniors this year from Fargo haven't even got to see a home playoff game. I'm sure their parents tell good stories about them though. I guess according to your logic Princeton has been the most dominate DI football program ever. News to me.

Don't forget that the Gophers of UMTC were a football powerhouse at one time. Does anyone on this board remember the last time they went to the Rose Bowl?

Bison fans belittled what DII was becoming, every year it is getting more and more watered down. I also think it would be hard to argue against the success NDSU has had in DI.

In NDSU's case, a watered down Division II certainly didn't translate into better results in the trophy case. NDSU's lack of results on the field of play, along with UND's run of success on a national stage in hockey, football, WBB, etc. in the late 90's and early 00's definitely put the spotlight in Grand Forks. To his credit, Chapman recognized this and the rest is history.

In NDSU's case, a watered down Division II certainly didn't translate into better results in the trophy case. NDSU's lack of results on the field of play, along with UND's run of success on a national stage in hockey, football, WBB, etc. in the late 90's and early 00's definitely put the spotlight in Grand Forks. To his credit, Chapman recognized this and the rest is history.

NDSU did win 9 national titles in the decade leading up to the move, not exactly horrible. Football was inconsistent, but that had some to do with rules DII adopted, they were designed to hold the haves back. Chapman was smart to realize the importance of the athletics and DI, UND's hockey success definitely proved what DI success can do for a school.