SiouxSports.com Forum

State Board

siouxper_tex

Yeah i think you are right. Go for a few years without a nickname and then just implement Sioux because it will not die. Then just blame it on the fact that Norwegians are very stubborn

Awesome!!! This is my vote!

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately if feel very pessimistic about this now. I am very worried that we will get shafted with some BS new nickname. I find it very hard to rally around a forced nickname. I have heard it on here before and i love the idea of no name if we can't have the Sioux name. I have sent one e-mail out. Not that it will help. I hope there are enough people out there that support this idea. What are the popular opinions on this idea?

Guess my mind runs countercurrent anyway, but personally think that this board decision increases the chance of retaining the Sioux name. A year ago I thought the name had no chance. If Standing Rock gets a referendum, it will pass. Both the Spirit Lake and Standing Rock councils will then have a lot of state and reservation pressure to change their stance or ruin their political careers. If the 2010 deadline remained, all the momentum of a Standing Rock vote would be lost. The 30 year agreement is also key: otherwise the name would always be in peril. The chances that the nickname standing October 1st are still slim, but it's a prudent move by the board.

I also agree that there's leadership at UND who would prefer to have the name go away. If the name stays, it will be only because of Sioux warriors like Eunice Davidson or Sam DuPris that came through when it counted.

If you join this group, there would be 11,433 members :silly: :

Fighting Sioux on Facebook

That is embarassing a group of highschool students created a group with 11,000 plus members. I created a group called Supporters of the Fighting Sioux name in the early days of Facebook and maybe have 200. My friends are lazy. I created a group called "If we can't have the Fighting Sioux name we want NO name!!" thinking about piggy backing off of that other groups fan base.

If Standing Rock gets a referendum, it will pass.

I hope you're right. But can I ask this much: do you think that today's action makes such a referendum
more
or
less
likely?? I don't know, but I can't see what happened today as increasing the chances that a referendum is held. That's JMHO from a long way away.

The 30 year agreement is also key: otherwise the name would always be in peril.

I don't disagree that a
long-term
agreement is necessary, but just coming out with a pronouncement that "we need
thirty years
" isn't a wise way to handle negotiations IMHO. Isn't ten years enough?? Or even five?

You're starting from Ground Zero with this, and you're asking for a lifetime commitment by demanding 30 years. I just saw this and said "they can't be serious" and quickly changed my mind to say "they obviously have no interest in any sort of negotiation".

I don't know the answer to this, but I'll ask it anyway: is there a time limit on the use of Seminole? Chippewa? Ute??

I also agree that there's leadership at UND who would prefer to have the name go away. If the name stays, it will be only because of Sioux warriors like Eunice Davidson or Sam DuPris that came through when it counted.

I simply could not agree more.

People on the reservations are working hard to help with this issue; and IMHO this is a slap in their faces. It's so unfair on so many different levels. Haven't people on
BOTH
sides been saying for a long time that "we need to talk more; we have more in common than we have in opposition" about so many, many issues?? This wasn't good at all IMHO. Above and beyond the nickname, this wasn't good. Will this make it more likely that in the future, people from the reservation will work to get things accomplished in harmony with the city/state governments?? I don't think so.
:silly:

Could somebody explain to me what if any effect this will have on REA...?

A privately owned facility on a land lease from University property...?

this quote ...

"UND is further directed to undertake actions consistent with the Settlement Agreement to protect its intellectual property rights in the 'Fighting Sioux' nickname and mark. UND is further directed to address the imagery at Ralph Engelstad Arena and other venues pursuant to the terms, conditions and timelines set forth in the Settlement Agreement."

What exactly was the set forth Settlement Agreement....?

The University Of North Dakota Fighting Darells....i will accept lifetime season tickets and free parking and concessions. In return for use of the name! :silly:

I would settle for UND goons. :D

If we can't keep the Sioux name/logo, I am personally shooting for the same symbol that Prince used, so we can have the "symbol" logo and forever be "formerly known as the Fighting Sioux". :silly:

:D it is better than Flickertails or Sundogs.

Read pages 5, 6 and 12 for most of the information in regards to REA.

Settlement Agreement

Thanks for posting.

So ... UND gets to keep hanging the historical banners.

But will the banner hung after October 1, 2009 for winning last season's WCHA be a UND Fighting Sioux banner? or otherwise [insert name here].

I couldn't tell from reading the settlement.

Thanks for posting.

So ... UND gets to keep hanging the historical banners.

But will the banner hung after October 1, 2009 for winning last season's WCHA be a UND Fighting Sioux banner? or otherwise [insert name here].

I couldn't tell from reading the settlement.

REA, Inc., was not a party in that settlement.

What did I say? No matter the vote was on the SLT the name/logo was still going to be changed. It's a good day to be Native!! Hoka hey!!! OK, let me have it!

Windy,

If this is what it takes for it to be a good day to be native that is sad. Your leaders have dishonored your elders and ancestors who told UND and restated to UND in the past that the name was OK. That is not consistent with your Native Culture according to every single elder I have spoken with.

I agree with you, and have stated some time ago, that it is past time for the name to change. I no longer wish for my University athletic teams to attempt to honor a group whose leaders have no honor. They do not show leadership on the reservations. The plight of the native children is pathetic. The tribal chair at Spirit lake is correct when she says they have more important things to worry about. The problem is, she needs to quit worrying and do something about those things. The guy at Standing Rock, His Horse is Smarter, is a blatant racist and shouldn't lead anyone. It makes no difference that the majority support the name, the tribal councils won't vote to support the name. (I am not sure you realize that those folks wouldn't ever be in leadership positions off of the rez).

What should remain are programs to help native kids get a decent education and achieve the skills to get off the reservations and succeed in the real world. That should be for the kids on the rez as well as at UND.

I will not enter any reservation unless necessary to pass thourgh and I will not support any reservation business. I will not vote for any political candidate who supports any reservation program not required by treaty or law nor will I donate money to their campaigns. I will support Native businesses off of the reservation and continue to work to help Native kids who wish to get an education and make a better life for themselves.

You and your leaders have spoken and made it very clear we are not welcome and we will continue to be judged by you and your friend by our ethnicity. Your leaders have shown they will not honor those who have come before them and therefore can't be trusted.

In the language of the people who kicked the Sioux the hell out of Minnesota, Migwetch. (it was the Chippewa not the Europeans).

They won't reject UND for the Summit. They took USD and that crap town and facilities.

Football will get into the Missouri Valley once their new alignment is set in place, hopefully!

You know, I support UND keeping the Sioux name, you guys will always be the Sioux to me, but don't go there. At least USD OWNS their facilities and doesn't rent them from the city. Seriously, you guys will be having you're tongues wagging when we put up our new basketball arena in a couple years.

Just don't call my town and my school crap, I don't think you've ever heard that about UND or GF coming from any of us.

You know, I support UND keeping the Sioux name, you guys will always be the Sioux to me, but don't go there. At least USD OWNS their facilities and doesn't rent them from the city. Seriously, you guys will be having you're tongues wagging when we put up our new basketball arena in a couple years.

Just don't call my town and my school crap, I don't think you've ever heard that about UND or GF coming from any of us.

100 million dollar summit league basketball area :silly:

REA, Inc., was not a party in that settlement.

Christ, has it really come down to this?...I spent one of the best nights of my life watching the FIGHTING SIOUX win the McNaughton (against UW) and later watched my 4 yr old son really understand the significance of the win...We watched the FIGHTING SIOUX skate around with the McNaughton Cup shortly thereafter (the win in the WCHA quarterfinals) and no one can take that away...Screw you PC Idiots!

To all,

The fix was in and now we will feel the sting! I once again feel cheated and betrayed by the board of higher ed and the UND administration. I plan on calling the Alumni office and telling them to cancel my Alumni newsletter for at least 15 years and then maybe I will give another thought about supporting the University. I will also tell them whatever future name you choose for the school that you have lost the right to use Fighting in it because they gave up the fight today and from this point on they are a bunch of quitters!

All I can hope for is the law of unintended consequences comes into play and provide some Karma to the rest of the naysayers!

BobIwabuchiFan

Gophers? :silly: Sorry, HAD to do it!
You forgot Bison...:D

Windy,

If this is what it takes for it to be a good day to be native that is sad. Your leaders have dishonored your elders and ancestors who told UND and restated to UND in the past that the name was OK. That is not consistent with your Native Culture according to every single elder I have spoken with.

I agree with you, and have stated some time ago, that it is past time for the name to change. I no longer wish for my University athletic teams to attempt to honor a group whose leaders have no honor. They do not show leadership on the reservations. The plight of the native children is pathetic. The tribal chair at Spirit lake is correct when she says they have more important things to worry about. The problem is, she needs to quit worrying and do something about those things. The guy at Standing Rock, His Horse is Smarter, is a blatant racist and shouldn't lead anyone. It makes no difference that the majority support the name, the tribal councils won't vote to support the name. (I am not sure you realize that those folks wouldn't ever be in leadership positions off of the rez).

What should remain are programs to help native kids get a decent education and achieve the skills to get off the reservations and succeed in the real world. That should be for the kids on the rez as well as at UND.

I will not enter any reservation unless necessary to pass thourgh and I will not support any reservation business. I will not vote for any political candidate who supports any reservation program not required by treaty or law nor will I donate money to their campaigns. I will support Native businesses off of the reservation and continue to work to help Native kids who wish to get an education and make a better life for themselves.

You and your leaders have spoken and made it very clear we are not welcome and we will continue to be judged by you and your friend by our ethnicity. Your leaders have shown they will not honor those who have come before them and therefore can't be trusted.

In the language of the people who kicked the Sioux the hell out of Minnesota, Migwetch. (it was the Chippewa not the Europeans).

While I respectfully disagree with your stance on the nickname, this is probably the best response I've read from the anti-nickname standpoint.

If/when the nickname is retired (leaning more towards when, and have been since the settlement was announced) UND should in no way (nor do I think they will) cut funding or programs for Native Americans. They were created to help Natives succeed in life, not because of our nickname. To punish those students because of this would be ridiculous and asinine.

Their primary tennant was.
So? I believe the logos in the arena can stay if they are a part of the structure (banners included), and we will not be penalized by the NCAA...someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Long live the Fighting Sioux!!!