SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Hockey 09/10

brianvf

I think next year will be a more skilled team, but they do lose a lot of leadership which is tough to replace overnight. If they can get some guys early on that can step up into those leadership roles that this years seniors provided, we should have a good chance at defending the Macnaughton. Another thing is, at least from the looks of it now, is that the conference will be weak again.

I think there is a lot of leadership in this year's freshman class. That's going to help right there.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. Who will play the point on the PP? This year it was Genoway, Marto, Miller and usually Martens. Two of those guys are gone for sure. Who can step into the other two or three spots? LaPoint and Blood both played there in juniors; maybe LaPoint will be ready at this level. Trupp seems to have the skillset. Another poster talked about Toews in that kind of a role. It's obviously crucial that these spots are filled effectively.

I see MacWilliam filling one of these spots. He currently plays the point on the PP in juniors, and the game I saw he looked pretty good there.

With you 100%. Throw in Gregoire with a year of experience and Zajac and Hextall's tenacity...

As I've said before, I think we'll score goals, the question is can Blood, Finehage, and McWilliamclear the front of the net and give some punishment a t this level, while not being liabilities?

I actually think this year was a bonus and next year is the beginning of a new run. Just IMHO.

Like some one metioned there are some big time leaders in this freshman class that just finished their

first season with the Sioux. Hextall is a gamer and Gregoire is an amazing budding talent.

As far as Blood goes he is an animal. I can't hope but be positive.

I actually think this year was a bonus and next year is the beginning of a new run. Just IMHO.

Like some one metioned there are some big time leaders in this freshman class that just finished their

first season with the Sioux. Hextall is a gamer and Gregoire is an amazing budding talent.

As far as Blood goes he is an animal. I can't hope but be positive.

Do you mean DYNASTY??! :lol:

next year is the start of a 3 peat.... :lol: has that been done before..

michigan won 4 or 5 of the first 6 ncaa div. 1 titles... which is why they have the most all time. i would be ok with just one in the next three years :) it's always fun to watch the new teams come together. it will sure be different next year with all of the seniors gone though. i hope eidsness and dell can become a great goaltending tandem.

UM won the 1st NCAA title in 1948, then followed that up by winning it in 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, and 1956.

Rensselaer interrupted their streak in 1954, otherwise they could have won 6 in a row.

What's amazing to me is that they've only won it three more times since 1956 after taking 6 of the first 9 titles.

I believe that Red Berenson started coaching them during that 1954 season. :lol:

UM won the 1st NCAA title in 1948, then followed that up by winning it in 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, and 1956.

Rensselaer interrupted their streak in 1954, otherwise they could have won 6 in a row.

What's amazing to me is that they've only won it three more times since 1956 after taking 6 of the first 9 titles.

I believe that Red Berenson started coaching them during that 1954 season. :lol:

Haha! Yeah we are much more spoiled than Michigan fans. (I'll be honest, I root for Michigan after UND) They haven't won it since '98 and I'd be interested to know how many times they've been #1 seeds going into the tourney since then. We have a 9 yr drought, just think of a 11 yr and counting drought. I don't want to experience it!

We are definately due in the next year or two! Is Eidness the man to bring us to #8? I didn't feel that way on saturday, but we'll see, it's only up from here!

GREAT NEWS

this is huge for the sioux, look for the starting 6 d men to be

genoway

lapoint

marto

blood

fienhage

macwillaim

and gleason being the 7th guy

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

We're only a few days into the offseason, but many WCHA players already are making decisions about whether to return to college for another year or to turn pro.

UND's first decision is out of the way.

Defenseman Chay Genoway has decided he won't entertain pro offers and he will return for his senior season. Read the full story here, including comments from Genoway on his decision.

This is big for UND, which already will be losing Joe Finley, Zach Jones and Brad Miller.

Genoway also gives UND its biggest scoring threat from the blue line -- an area that may be a question mark heading in to next season. Derrick LaPoint and Jake Marto certainly are capable of adding offense from the back end, but Genoway is the only one who has proven he can do it on a consistent basis.

somebody earlier in the thread put the odds of vv leaving at 70%-I think that would be accurate as I talked to one of the players parents this weekend after saturday's game and they said that vv was getting a lot of pressure from edmonton to leave.

despite the fact that we had 8 seniors on this team I still would have classified it as a bit of a rebuilding year and with what we have coming back and coming in next year could lead to some very exciting things. other than duncan and finley (despite what others might say the) there were no real high end players this season from the senior class. yes kozek had a good year last year but that was it in his 4 years here. the majority of them were role players and they played damn well in those roles.

I am looking forward to the coming season, especially if VV stays. With him in the fold I expect the Sioux to do quite well. Most WCHA teams appear poised to lose a lot of talent and three of the top five scorers for the Sioux come back next year. Eidsness will be in his second year, so I expect a better start and a good year. I think that I am more optimistic going into next year than I was going into this year.

Oilers have agreed to a three-year entry level contract with prospect Jordan Eberle

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=414991&...%20in%20English

Looks like theres a still a chance that VV comes back.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/1096...cts_spring2009/

Of there top prospects, VV ranks 8th and basically everyone before him has signed a contract, besides Riley Nash (maybe one or two more i didnt take the time to look).

Gives me hope!

Oilers have agreed to a three-year entry level contract with prospect Jordan Eberle

Of there top prospects, VV ranks 8th and basically everyone before him has signed a contract, besides Riley Nash (maybe one or two more i didnt take the time to look).

Gives me hope!

If the Oilers value VV they don't want him playing out his Sr. season and potentially losing him.

I would be surprised if he is back next year.

Gives me hope!

That's an old article, so I don't hold much stake in it. The Oilers are also having difficulties getting Nash to leave Cornell, as they aren't happy with his development there and want them in their system. I don't think it's a given either way that Vandy decides, and I wouldn't be surprised either way. I'm just going to assume he'll leave so if he decides to stay it will just be a big PERK! :lol:

From the Sioux blog:

Chay Genoway talked a little bit more about his decision to come back. He said that he's known for a little while that he was going to return for his senior year and coach Dave Hakstol says it's the right call developmentally for a guy who has a real shot at playing in the NHL down the road.

Chris VandeVelde said he's 50-50 right now on whether he'll stay or go. He said he's going to discuss things with the UND coaches, the Edmonton Oilers and his family. He said he doesn't want the decision to drag on to the summer and hopes to have something figured out in a couple of weeks.

Hakstol said in the next few weeks the team will know which freshmen will be on campus in the fall. We'll know before the draft, for sure.

And one more piece of good news is that Derrick LaPoint is meeting or exceeding all expectations as far as his recovery goes. He's walking with a boot on right now. He's still a ways away from getting on the ice and doing intense work, but there don't seem to be any worries about him being ready for next season.

Great news on LaPoint as well!

Another episode of BMT:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=47793

Looks like they will have 5 more episodes of BMT after this one.

Also noted in the comments section by Brad about Forney:

Forney is still TBA. He will be concentrating on his team's playoff run and then figuring out whether he will return.

So still undecided...or at least not announcing yet.