Davidson (Jr)

Gregoire (So)

Hextall (So)

Toews (So)

Lamoureux (So)

Kristo (Fr)

Cichy (Fr)

Bruneteau (Fr)

Possible early departures: Vandevelde and Genoway are the only two that stick out to me. VV probably 70% gone, Genoway 20% or less.

Probably want to add one forward and one dman to this list in case of multiple injuries.

Thoughts?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put Genoway's departure at about 5%. He didn't do anything today to show he's ready for the next level.

VV is gone. Don't know what more he could have done today.

I say bring in Knight to replace VV.

If UND needs a bench player (someone a lot like Davidson...comes in and plays here and there) then bring in Fink or Rowney. Yeah, I know Rowny may not be a bench player, but I thought the same thing about Martens and he became pretty good in the end. I blindly forecast Rowney as another Martens. As for Fink, I don't mean to be down on the guy, but he's either injured or a nonfactor in the USHL. It's hard to say what value he'll be at all at the DI level.

If UND is going to need a more steady player than that, then bring back Forney .

I know Mattson is the bigger name and the bigger talent, but I say let him mature a year in juniors first.

Goalies (3):

Eidsness (So)

Harrington (So)

Dell (Fr)

Defense (7):

Genoway (Sr)

Marto (Jr)

LaPoint (Jr)

Blood (So)

Finehage (So)

Gleason (Fr)

MacWilliam (Fr)

Forwards (13):

VandeVelde (Sr)

Zajac (Sr)

Frattin (Jr)

Trupp (Jr)

Malone (Jr)

Davidson (Jr)

Gregoire (So)

Hextall (So)

Toews (So)

Lamoureux (So)

Kristo (Fr)

Cichy (Fr)

Bruneteau (Fr)

Possible early departures: Vandevelde and Genoway are the only two that stick out to me. VV probably 70% gone, Genoway 20% or less.

Probably want to add one forward and one dman to this list in case of multiple injuries.

Thoughts?

The goalie situation is a tough deal. I'm always worried about the timing of bringing in the new heir apparent in the correct manner. But that's an interesting predicament when a team ends up starting a freshman most of the year. I believe in competition. I believe that Eidsness will probably only get better. My concern is bringing in another good goalie prospect who may get frustrated and leave the program early due to lack of playing time. It's probably a good situation to have in reality, though.

The goalie situation is a tough deal. I'm always worried about the timing of bringing in the new heir apparent in the correct manner. But that's an interesting predicament when a team ends up starting a freshman most of the year. I believe in competition. I believe that Eidsness will probably only get better. My concern is bringing in another good goalie prospect who may get frustrated and leave the program early due to lack of playing time. It's probably a good situation to have in reality, though.

Not if you anticipate a sophomore slump. It happened with Kangas. It happened with Bachman. I'm not sure about Stalock because his team last year wasn't very good to begin with.

Oh, it also happened with Muse from BC.

Not if you anticipate a sophomore slump. It happened with Kangas. It happened with Bachman. I'm not sure about Stalock because his team last year wasn't very good to begin with.

Oh, it also happened with Muse from BC.

I think Eideness's sophmore slump started a little early :( I will admit I only saw him play 4 or 5 games but 3 of them were in the last 10 days and I do not see him as a championship goalie, I really hope I am wrong

I think Eideness's sophmore slump started a little early :( I will admit I only saw him play 4 or 5 games but 3 of them were in the last 10 days and I do not see him as a championship goalie, I really hope I am wrong

The whole team slumped after the Sunday afternoon OT win vs. Colorado College. The goal vs. Duluth in the Final Five was a boneheaded mistake, but there were a lot of odd-man rushes and powerplay goals that he couldn't do much about. Sometimes I think goalies get too much credit and also too much blame. You win as a team and lose as a team.

The whole team slumped after the Sunday afternoon OT win vs. Colorado College. The goal vs. Duluth in the Final Five was a boneheaded mistake, but there were a lot of odd-man rushes and powerplay goals that he couldn't do much about. Sometimes I think goalies get too much credit and also too much blame. You win as a team and lose as a team.

this is so very true, i just want him to be a championship goalie next year and I just didnt get the opportunity to see enough of him this year

The Sioux didn't have any choice but to start a freshman most of the season; Walski's a great kid, but he isn't a WCHA starter. Adding another "starting" goalie to the mix next year will keep everyone sharp.

I really think we need to invest in a goalie coach, though. I do not understand why UND doesn't have one.

With the way Forbort is progessing he should be here in 2010. If you send him to juniors for an extra year that just means one year less at UND, because this kid will not be a four year player with the way he is progessing now.

Hard to say that.

He's really good, but how will his game translate?

How many "can't miss" high school DI prospects have come to college straight from high school and failed to make the grade?

Not every player is TJ Oshie.

Meaning I think Forbort should come in when he's ready (according to the coaches and the player) even if that means one less year at UND.

Hard to say that.

He's really good, but how will his game translate?

How many "can't miss" high school DI prospects have come to college straight from high school and failed to make the grade?

Not every player is TJ Oshie.

Meaning I think Forbort should come in when he's ready (according to the coaches and the player) even if that means one less year at UND.

I understand that the transition from high school to college is big and I agree that he should come in when he's ready, all I was saying was that with the way he is playing I think he will be ready to come in 2010.

The Sioux didn't have any choice but to start a freshman most of the season; Walski's a great kid, but he isn't a WCHA starter. Adding another "starting" goalie to the mix next year will keep everyone sharp.

I really think we need to invest in a goalie coach, though. I do not understand why UND doesn't have one.

I agree 100%. I believe in everyone earning their keep. I'm with you in that I don't understand not having a goalie coach. Anybody?

I agree 100%. I believe in everyone earning their keep. I'm with you in that I don't understand not having a goalie coach. Anybody?

For some reason I want to say that it's because the NCAA only allows you to have three coaches on the payroll, most of the time teams go with a head coach and two assistants. Therefore goalie coaches are usually on a volunteer basis. I could be completely wrong however.

Sure to lose (8):

G: Walski

D: Finley, Jones, Miller

F: Duncan, Watkins, Martens, Kozek

Maybe ...

F: Vande Velde

D: Genoway

Open question:

D: LaPoint (hey, it's a nasty injury)

What we think we know (7):

G: Dell

D: MacWilliam, Gleason

F: Bruneteau, Kristo, Cichy, Forney

I look at Kangas and Bachman in sophomore seasons and say Dell is a wise move.

What I'm concerned about is the defense. We haven't seen Fienhage in quite a while and practice just isn't game time. Also, I'm concerned about LaPoint and if his recovery and rehab doesn't have him ready for fall.

My whackiest thought of the day, and you have to add all the following to reach it:

- We seem better stocked at potential "early bring in" forwards (Rowney, Fink, Knight, Dan Mattson).

- Brad Miller always seemed short of time and space at forward and wasn't all that physical as a forward.

- That description of Miller seems to also fit ... David Toews.

- Defensive depth could be a question given next year's youth at D (1 Sr, 2 Jr, 1 Soph w/time, 1 Soph with little).

I wonder if David Toews would like to attend the "Brad Miller Summer School of Moving to Defense"? That would do many things, like give an eighth potential defenseman, give Toews more time and space, and make me a genius for coming up with it. :(

EDIT: I just came from reading Brad's blog about all the hidden injuries. Hak's been running a 25-man roster the last couple of seasons. With three goalies that's 22 skaters. That's not a lot of margin to allow guys to heal properly. How about a year with a Dean Blais 15F-8D-3G 26-man roster, eh? A full fifth line and a full fourth pair at D would be nice.

Sure to lose (8):

G: Walski

D: Finley, Jones, Miller

F: Duncan, Watkins, Martens, Kozek

Maybe ...

F: Vande Velde

D: Genoway

Open question:

D: LaPoint (hey, it's a nasty injury)

What we think we know (7):

G: Dell

D: MacWilliam, Gleason

F: Bruneteau, Kristo, Cichy, Forney

I look at Kangas and Bachman in sophomore seasons and say Dell is a wise move.

What I'm concerned about is the defense. We haven't seen Fienhage in quite a while and practice just isn't game time. Also, I'm concerned about LaPoint and if his recovery and rehab doesn't have him ready for fall.

My whackiest thought of the day, and you have to add all the following to reach it:

- We seem better stocked at potential "early bring in" forwards (Rowney, Fink, Knight, Dan Mattson).

- Brad Miller always seemed short of time and space at forward and wasn't all that physical as a forward.

- That description of Miller seems to also fit ... David Toews.

- Defensive depth could be a question given next year's youth at D (1 Sr, 2 Jr, 1 Soph w/time, 1 Soph with little).

I wonder if David Toews would like to attend the "Brad Miller Summer School of Moving to Defense"? That would do many things, like give an eighth potential defenseman, give Toews more time and space, and make me a genius for coming up with it. :(

EDIT: I just came from reading Brad's blog about all the hidden injuries. Hak's been running a 25-man roster the last couple of seasons. With three goalies that's 22 skaters. That's not a lot of margin to allow guys to heal properly. How about a year with a Dean Blais 15F-8D-3G 26-man roster, eh? A full fifth line and a full fourth pair at D would be nice.

Come on...not a chance in hell Toews moves to d. Miller's situation is totally different. I expected more out of Toews this year but he is a 3rd round pick in the NHL draft and has potential. I think he had 6 goals on the year and am not sure why he did not play more down the stretch. I know he was injured for a while but believe he was a healthy scratch the last few weeks of the season. Nothing against M Lammy but I would have liked to see Toews out there instead.

Conference standings next year:

1) Denver

2) Minnesota

3) Wisconsin

4) North Dakota

5) Duluth

6) CC

7) Anchorage

8) Mankato

9) St. Cloud

10) Mich. Tech

6-10 were all hard to pick. All of them could shuffle within those positions. Tech was bad this year, but very injured. Someone has to be last, so I felt that's where they'd be. St. Cloud doesn't have the guns. UAA has shown improvements big time with Shyiak (sp?). CC is losing a ton, but they still should be good enough to finish ahead of the bottom feeders. Mankato is losing a few good players and will be tough for them to rebound from a promising season.

We don't have anyone that clearly stands out as the best team for next year I don't think depending on who leaves and stays for Denver, but they look the most solid for sure. Minn and Wisc will reload as usual. Duluth will be good, but still not good enough to jump them into the top 3 or 4. North Dakota is just kinda there. Not pushing for a top spot realistically, but staying ahead of the lesser teams.

Conference standings next year:

1) Denver

2) Minnesota

3) Wisconsin

4) North Dakota

5) Duluth

6) CC

7) Anchorage

8) Mankato

9) St. Cloud

10) Mich. Tech

6-10 were all hard to pick. All of them could shuffle within those positions. Tech was bad this year, but very injured. Someone has to be last, so I felt that's where they'd be. St. Cloud doesn't have the guns. UAA has shown improvements big time with Shyiak (sp?). CC is losing a ton, but they still should be good enough to finish ahead of the bottom feeders. Mankato is losing a few good players and will be tough for them to rebound from a promising season.

We don't have anyone that clearly stands out as the best team for next year I don't think depending on who leaves and stays for Denver, but they look the most solid for sure. Minn and Wisc will reload as usual. Duluth will be good, but still not good enough to jump them into the top 3 or 4. North Dakota is just kinda there. Not pushing for a top spot realistically, but staying ahead of the lesser teams.

I can see your theory with wisco up there, but not on minny. I think they'll be below us if they can't figure out their issues they had this year, as well as find some offense outside of schroeder (if he comes back).