SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures

AZSIOUX

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my viewings of both DU and UW, I would have put Wiercioch as at least the 3rd best dman if he would have been with UW.

McBain and McDonagh, and then Wiercioch. Goloubef, Smith, and Gardiner did not impress me nearly as much as Wiercioch.

I'd take McDonagh before Wiercioch, but that's it.

No doubt Wilson will sign but unfortunately it will likely be after winning an NCAA title. No disrespect to the other 3 teams but BU could not have an easier road to the title.

Do you realize that VT went 2-1 against BU this year. This is not a cakewalk for BU.

Do you realize that VT went 2-1 against BU this year. This is not a cakewalk for BU.

Yeah I realize that but a 3 seed and two 4 seeds...the stars could not be aligned any better. Yeah BU lost twice at Vermont 4-3 in both games. So GO VERMONT!

Has anyone noticed that the CCHA has had a lot of players sign this season? Also it appears that H.E. isn't going to be immune this year

when it comes to early defections.

I think after the successes of guys like Kessel, Gionta, Towes, Oshie, etc., the Pro's are taking a longer look at college talent across the board. Even if they don't go straight to "The Show" the consideration of signing college players is on a significant upswing. I also think this is good for the game of college hockey. If players stay 4 years, great, and if they move on because they have a shot at a pro career, good for them. I think it makes the game that much more exciting to have future stars of the NHL skating in the college arenas on Friday and Saturday nights...even if they do skate for Michigan or BC. And, of course, the Sioux!

I think after the successes of guys like Kessel, Gionta, Towes, Oshie, etc., the Pro's are taking a longer look at college talent across the board. Even if they don't go straight to "The Show" the consideration of signing college players is on a significant upswing. I also think this is good for the game of college hockey. If players stay 4 years, great, and if they move on because they have a shot at a pro career, good for them. I think it makes the game that much more exciting to have future stars of the NHL skating in the college arenas on Friday and Saturday nights...even if they do skate for Michigan or BC. And, of course, the Sioux!

That is the reason I have NHL center ice. You can watch your favorite teams and your favorite ex-college hockey stars.

That is the reason I have NHL center ice. You can watch your favorite teams and your favorite ex-college hockey stars.

Two years ago I watched every game on TV like it was my job. So, last year I gave in and paid up for Center Ice. I watched LESS hockey than I did before-hand. Not sure why, but I definitely didn't get my money's worth :D This year I didn't do it.

Two years ago I watched every game on TV like it was my job. So, last year I gave in and paid up for Center Ice. I watched LESS hockey than I did before-hand. Not sure why, but I definitely didn't get my money's worth :D This year I didn't do it.

I watched so much hockey last year I followed the NHL from the begining of the season all the way to the stanley cup playoffs, after the last game of the Stanley Cup I looked at my wife and said I am tired of watching hockey. I did the math and I had watched something like 200 hockey games (including college, High school and pro) This year I am lagging behind a little bit. I am probably at 100-125 right now. Every time I try to watch hockey my 21 month old daughter comes over to the tv and switches the channel.

Some random thoughts mostly on early departures.

First off, I heard Bruess didn't stick with the Caps organization. Any truth to that? If so, then he truly was stupid.

Second, Thiessen signed with the Pens. He might have been a Pen draft pick, but I can't recall and I'm too lazy to look it up. Talk about bad timing unless he is a senior (again, too lazy to look it up). They already have a ton of goaltending recruits including former ND goalie David Brown, former BU goalie John Curry, now former UAF goalie Chad Johnson, and whoever else is currently in system. If he bolted early, why take the money when, most likely, you'll be relegated to a backup goaltending role at, at best, the AHL level or more likely the ECHL or even perhaps the CHL/IHL/whatever is the "lowest tier."

On the INCH site, there are several from smaller programs like WMU and Merrimack that have players that bolted to sign with AHL or even lower teams. That must mean something's up with their academics or with their college team right? Or are they really that stupid that an ECHL job is worth bolting school over when more than likely you could get into the ECHL after you graduate regardless?

On not so early departure notes, WCH Blog reports the Blues haven't shown any interest in Duncan.

Duncan was on this big show yesterday and he is going to graduate first then look at his options. He has the same "family advisor" as kozek, finley, toews etc etc... A couple teams of shown major interest he said. He wouldnt say the teams though.

Second, Thiessen signed with the Pens. He might have been a Pen draft pick, but I can't recall and I'm too lazy to look it up. Talk about bad timing unless he is a senior (again, too lazy to look it up). They already have a ton of goaltending recruits including former ND goalie David Brown, former BU goalie John Curry, now former UAF goalie Chad Johnson, and whoever else is currently in system. If he bolted early, why take the money when, most likely, you'll be relegated to a backup goaltending role at, at best, the AHL level or more likely the ECHL or even perhaps the CHL/IHL/whatever is the "lowest tier."

You must have been really lazy, as I posted this about 6 posts before yours in this thread. :D

He was a junior, and a free agent. :)

You must have been really lazy, as I posted this about 6 posts before yours in this thread. :D

He was a junior, and a free agent. :)

Plus, maybe he's actually better than the others listed. I doubt he'd sign with a team and then settle for a spot in the ECHL or IHL because the team has other goalies in their system. Pretty sure that is the case with every single person that signs a contract or gets a tryout. They have to beat someone out.

Some random thoughts mostly on early departures.

First off, I heard Bruess didn't stick with the Caps organization. Any truth to that? If so, then he truly was stupid.

On not so early departure notes, WCH Blog reports the Blues haven't shown any interest in Duncan.

for Bruess they wanted him to play in the ECHL and didn't want to. As for Ducan how the hell is Chris going to know this?