SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures

AZSIOUX

;)

VV's stats aren't anything special and he wasn't anywhere near a dominant college player. He has the potential and has played great lately, but his body of work isn't spectacular. I guess I don't see him playing in the NHL next year, he's at best a one/two year AHL guy before any chance at the NHL. Unless Ed;m. thinks that the AHL will be better for his development I don't see a huge benefit by jumping. He'll be an elite college player, potentially a first team WCHA or All American, and I think at that point he would be in a much better position going forward.

I agree with this.

I hope VV stays. I think it would be best for him.

He has just started to get his play to a dominant level the last few months. Only recently has he begun to figure out how to use his body to work through checks and make plays with people on him. I think another year at this level and he has a very good chance of putting himself into an elite level of player. He will gain all of the confidence that goes with that. If he goes to the AHL I think that would be a hinderence to what the college game will offer him next year.

Malone and Fratten also both started to play very well as this season went on. I think if the three of them played together next year they could become something really special. Three big, skilled and mature forwards on one line.

So basically I think he has two choices:

He could go to the AHL and make some cash and learn to play at another level of physicality and be thought of as a decent player while doing so.

or

He could stay and (based on what we have seen from him lately) have an all American year next year with the Sioux. Then he will be a free agent with the notoriety and respect that comes with that type of season and be able to go play with Toews or Parise??? :(

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest difference is that Toews and Parise were #1 draft picks. That puts them on the highway to the NHL, not the road to the NHL. Given VV's draft position and skill, he will play in the AHL before the NHL no matter what, so why not start now and start getting paid for it?

VV is as good as gone.

I think even if VV stays, it is not a given he'd have an All-American type season. Remember, he was dominant at the end of last year as well, but it didn't seem to carry over consistently to this year. At least, it didn't seem to from listening to radio telecasts and following the commentary on here and from Brad. This isn't intended to be a knock on him by any means, just an observation that we shouldn't automatically expect him to be all-WCHA first team if he stays.

I also find it strange to see that people assume that defense works on an individualized basis. There are TWO defensemen on the ice at any given time 5 on 5 and even the forwards have some defensive responsibility. Where was Finley's defensive partner? Why did Finley go behind the net? Was the play he was running require him that deep? What was the strategy involved?

Or did he just get beat on that one play? Even the best D get beat. Genoway gets beat all the time.

The fact is, who knows.

And according to Brad's blog, Finley was playing with a seperated shoulder. Seriously... how much hockey can you all play with a seperated shoulder?

Hextall played with a broken foot. Wow.

I know enough about hockey that I know that he got beat in both instances that I brought up. I know that if you take the man off the puck he can't shoot it. I also know that hockey players play hurt. If he is hurt that bad, then that is the coaching staffs job to not have him hurt the team.

you don't run plays defensively unless you count a switch or are talking about the breakout. The rule in an extra attacker situation is tie up. Tie up the puck along the boards, tie up your man's hands. Cardinal rule is to clear out the front of the net.

Forwards have a ton of defensive responsibility, especially the center.

Anyway, it should've been the law of the jungle.

Anyway, it should've been the law of the jungle.

In the closing seconds of regulation, I agree. Who cares about a penalty with three seconds left? UMD hauled down Stoa on a prime scoring chance in just that situation; time ran out before the penalty could be called.

In this case, when the puck came out the other side so quickly, Genoway did the only thing he could, which was to dive to keep the puck out. It was just the classic hockey bounce in UNH's favor. Total accident too according to the UNH players afterward. The guy just shot the one-timer wide.

In the closing seconds of regulation, I agree. Who cares about a penalty with three seconds left? UMD hauled down Stoa on a prime scoring chance in just that situation; time ran out before the penalty could be called.

In this case, when the puck came out the other side so quickly, Genoway did the only thing he could, which was to dive to keep the puck out. It was just the classic hockey bounce in UNH's favor. Total accident too according to the UNH players afterward. The guy just shot the one-timer wide.

My biggest question is why and how did Chay beat BE to the post to try and block the GTG ? The shot was wide, BE should've been hugging that post.

Oh well, next year...

The team that I'm really excited about is the 2010/2011 squad.

I'd love to see dunc on a line with kane and toews.

duncan will be a ahl player or overseas player imo, man it was fun watching him for 4 years. what a hell of a player and he will be missed!! see ya MR HOBEY BAKER!

duncs was a hgreat college hockey player and the new nhl is more favorable to the smaller players now but imo you need gerbe speed to be out there as an example. duncs may get a shot someday in the show, who knows but whatever he does he will be great

duncan will be a ahl player or overseas player imo, man it was fun watching him for 4 years. what a hell of a player and he will be missed!! see ya MR HOBEY BAKER!

duncs was a hgreat college hockey player and the new nhl is more favorable to the smaller players now but imo you need gerbe speed to be out there as an example. duncs may get a shot someday in the show, who knows but whatever he does he will be great

I'm in agreement.

If Sejna and Panzer couldn't make it, I don't see Duncan's game translating either.

I think it is probably a long shot for Duncs to go to the Big show, you have to remember that the "new" NHL wasn't in effect when Panzer and Senja left school.

i wasnt and panzer may have gotten a better shot if it was but panzer could fly along with sejna and others in that mold. thats what duncan is missing from his all around solid game

If we learned one thing when duc was here was never underestimate him because he will prove you wrong.

It's about getting the right opportunity, and maybe just maybe he gets a chance.

i highly doubt any sioux fan or hockey fan that has seen ryan play over the 4 years would underestimate him playing hockey but its calling it like it is and speed is a huge reason the smaller players make it in the nhl.

i highly doubt any sioux fan or hockey fan that has seen ryan play over the 4 years would underestimate him playing hockey but its calling it like it is and speed is a huge reason the smaller players make it in the nhl.

Wouldn't you classify Dunc as fast?

And it's not even just speed, because Panzer has that to burn. It's fireplug type speed, like Gerbe and Gionta.

yes thats true but panzer tried before the nhl changed their rules and style overall so he would have had a much better chance now with his speed

Wouldn't you classify Dunc as fast?

not panzer, grebe, sejna ect.... fast. nope. duncan can skate and hes a hell of a smart player. just saying thats a key to the new nhl at that size. he may end up playing some nhl games in his career and he may not. i wish duncs nothing but the best!

Kind of off topic a little but I remeber people saying there was no way Zach was going to make it in the NHL cause he was just too small. Oooops guess they were wrong :( - also Zach left UND during the lock-out season, played AHL and then started his NHL career the same year the new rules took effect.

Kind of off topic a little but I remeber people saying there was no way Zach was going to make it in the NHL cause he was just too small. Oooops guess they were wrong :( - also Zach left UND during the lock-out season, played AHL and then started his NHL career the same year the new rules took effect.

im not sure who you talked to or heard that but zach was a big time prospect high 1st rd draft pick and was primed to bve a star before he ever stepped foot at UND. duncan is a non drafted player with lack of size/speed for the nhl. he will have a very nice hockey career wherever he plays but zach was a sure star from his days at shattuck to und to new jersey. big difference between the 2 and not comparable in that sense at all

im not sure who you talked to or heard that but zach was a big time prospect high 1st rd draft pick and was primed to bve a star before he ever stepped foot at UND. duncan is a non drafted player with lack of size/speed for the nhl. he will have a very nice hockey career wherever he plays but zach was a sure star from his days at shattuck to und to new jersey. big difference between the 2 and not comparable in that sense at all

People didn't think he'd be a number one guy, top 5 in scoring, but they did think he'd be a 2-3rd liner, role player.

People didn't think he'd be a number one guy, top 5 in scoring, but they did think he'd be a 2-3rd liner, role player.

maybe some did but most franchises who draft a player as high as new jersey did expects that player to be a top line guy. the other stuff is icing on the cake but most people involved in the nhl world i ever talked to or players in college/scouts knew zach would be a top line player as many teams had him very high on their draft boards that year