SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA MVP....Ryan Duncan?

roper1313

I think Duncs could care less. He's already got an MVP and a Hobey, what he doesn't have is a MacNaughton Cup. A championship is worth more than every individual accolade imagineable combined.

Your post should say:

He's already got an MVP, Hobey, and Broadmoor...what he doesn't have is a MacNaughton Cup and National Title.

Time to cross those last two off his list.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty sad. This is a guy with the worst +/- on the team for all players.

Wisco has 5 d-men that have played 30 or more games. McBain is a -12 the other 4 are +2, -2, -1, +7.

The only d-men in the WCHA that have worse numbers play for Tech, they have 3 (-15, -14, -13).

McBain is at the bottom of the league for d-men in +/- and also has lowest rating on his team by a large margin.

Before you start promoting a defenseman for Hobey/All-American, shouldn't the player at least be doing a good job on the defensive end?

Thanks for flying this flag because whether or not Duncan is the most deserving I cannot see McBain's all around analysis standing up based on his defensive numbers. Maybe Bucky had a bad start to their season and that caused McBain's +/- to plummet but he's had all year to bring it back up and, like you have well pointed out in 2 posts, his +/- is horrible compared to others.

Does +/- mean everything? No. Is that stat somewhat dependant on the other 5 guys on the ice? Yes. Would you expect a top D man to be playing against other team's best lines and could that hurt your +/-? Yes. But relatively speaking McBain's stat STINKS compared to his peers.

Duncan is a top line player. That means he's usually going against the opponents best players. Even with 2 freshmen wingers his +/- is not even on the same page as McBain's. Other defensemen can do it. Duncan and other forwards can do it. McBain can't? Then maybe he's not the MVP.

Thanks for flying this flag because whether or not Duncan is the most deserving I cannot see McBain's all around analysis standing up based on his defensive numbers. Maybe Bucky had a bad start to their season and that caused McBain's +/- to plummet but he's had all year to bring it back up and, like you have well pointed out in 2 posts, his +/- is horrible compared to others.

Does +/- mean everything? No. Is that stat somewhat dependant on the other 5 guys on the ice? Yes. Would you expect a top D man to be playing against other team's best lines and could that hurt your +/-? Yes. But relatively speaking McBain's stat STINKS compared to his peers.

Duncan is a top line player. That means he's usually going against the opponents best players. Even with 2 freshmen wingers his +/- is not even on the same page as McBain's. Other defensemen can do it. Duncan and other forwards can do it. McBain can't? Then maybe he's not the MVP.

I thought the herald had an atrticle last week about Marto and how his +/- has really turned around since november and is now leading the team. you are correct McBain has had all year to turn it around.

Post of the day.

Agreed. I'm sick of people ripping on Finley. Is he the best player on the team? Probably not, but he takes way to much crap. He's a 1st round pick, +18 +19 +24 his first 3 seasons here, +5 this year so far, wears an "A" on his left shoulder. Sounds like a hack to me... :silly: He came into UND the same year as me, and I'd say he's grown and matured as a hockey player in four years. We'd be in a hurt bag without him. He sure helped turn things around after returning this year.

McBain plays hockey? HaHa

mcbaine1.gif

More often than not, we get screwed when it comes to the WCHA end-of-the-year awards. Didn't Oshie get shoved onto the 2nd or 3rd team a couple of years ago? :D:silly:

I care way more about team championships and accomplishments than all this individual stuff. And I think every player in that locker room would tell you the same thing. I'll bet Duncan would trade that Hobey in 2007 for a National Championship in a heartbeat.

Schroeder is the most talented player in the WCHA IMO. I agree with the posters that CC's top line is the best in the WCHA.

I contend the UND's 3rd and 4th lines are the best in the WCHA and that is why we've won. I think our 1st and second lines are middle of the pack, and our defensive corps is very good (second half of the year).

That is why UND could win it all. Some of the good teams are one and two trick ponies, UND has four lines that can play.

Agreed. I'm sick of people ripping on Finley. Is he the best player on the team? Probably not, but he takes way to much crap. He's a 1st round pick, +18 +19 +24 his first 3 seasons here, +5 this year so far, wears an "A" on his left shoulder. Sounds like a hack to me... :silly: He came into UND the same year as me, and I'd say he's grown and matured as a hockey player in four years. We'd be in a hurt bag without him. He sure helped turn things around after returning this year.

That is an awesome post and I am to sick and tired of the all the Finley Haters.

You would have thought the guy was a complete hack from some of the stuff I have read about him.

More often than not, we get screwed when it comes to the WCHA end-of-the-year awards. Didn't Oshie get shoved onto the 2nd or 3rd team a couple of years ago? :D:silly:

I care way more about team championships and accomplishments than all this individual stuff. And I think every player in that locker room would tell you the same thing. I'll bet Duncan would trade that Hobey in 2007 for a National Championship in a heartbeat.

I guarantee he would!

That is why UND could win it all. Some of the good teams are one and two trick ponies, UND has four lines that can play.

This is becoming more clear every weekend. Who is the opponent going to defend against?

Yeah that is scarey good.

Totally have to agree here also. I thought in the saturday game when Trupp was playing down on the 4th line with Kozek and Mario, that was probably the best I've seen in a long time from our 4th line. It makes me wonder if that kind of combo could be permanent on the 4th line come tourney time...Malone could play and fit in with Vandy and Frattin, since he doesn't have to be a goal scorer on that line, and Trupp with Kozek and Mario or Toews makes that line a threat every shift as well...So much depth this year, the freshmen have really stepped it up in the second half. Blood has been better than anticipated, I think, and the same could be said for Hextall and Mario. I really didn't expect a lot from those two this year, but Mario has been solid and dependable when in the lineup, and Hextall is the kind of player who will have success at any level of hockey....

does anyone know who is on the ballot for wcha mvp? someone said duncan wasn't on it? that is laughable if he is not, what a joke. but i'm sure he'd take the mcnaughton cup tonight, and a natty in a month over this award. LETS GO SIOUX!!!

On the ballot: Chay, Stoa-UM, Bachman- CC, Stalock-UMD, McBain-UW, Lasch-SCSU, Cheverie-DU

I might be missing one. I saw it on the Mankato Hockey Blog.

That ballot baffles me, personally. I have no clue who will win it.

On the ballot: Chay, Stoa-UM, Bachman- CC, Stalock-UMD, McBain-UW, Lasch-SCSU, Cheverie-DU

bachman instead of rau?? and i don't get chay over duncs?? oh well, just an award. i guess i'd give it to lasch out of this group? the top two in my opinion would be duncs and rau... do the coaches put these ballots together? kind of baffling.

bachman instead of rau?? and i don't get chay over duncs?? oh well, just an award. i guess i'd give it to lasch out of this group? the top two in my opinion would be duncs and rau... do the coaches put these ballots together? kind of baffling.

I hear ya there. They are nominated by their teams. I would have gone with Rau or Duncs as well. If I was voting, I'd do a write-in. :silly: Because I wouldn't pick anyone on that list as MVP.

Those great teams from the 90's were like that. The top three lines were pretty much interchangeable. I never figured out which was the #1 and which was the #3. (Hoogsteins, Blake, Panzers...It was all the same). Heck I think even Blais couldn't keep track of who played with who as he changed the lines so many times.

Then you had the fourth line which was staffed with Armburst, Defauw and Jason Ulmer. They didn't have a lot of scoring punch but they could play against anybody.

Two of those players are on a team that is in the top 2 of the league standings.

I don't know but I think Duncan has really shinned this year and I think he deserves some recognition.

I think it's McBain or Stalock if you consider MVP a team's most important player.

Absolutely not McBain if you are going by most important, look at that terrible +/-

MOST VALUABLE, is Stalock no doubt. Best player this year, Stoa.

Absolutely not McBain if you are going by most important, look at that terrible +/-

MOST VALUABLE, is Stalock no doubt. Best player this year, Stoa.

Make sure you add "in my opinion." I disagree completely. If I was voting, I'd be writing in a candidate not on the ballot.