SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA MVP....Ryan Duncan?

roper1313

All the college writers and bloggers have beat the "look who Duncan played with" detail to death, well they should do the same thing with McBain. The Wisconsin D-corps is deep (Goloubef, McDonagh etc) on talent and they have a Senior in net which begs the question if McBain is so great why aren't the Badgers a top seed in the WCHA. A D-man has to be Carle or Leopold type good and their team more successful to win the WCHA MVP.

Depending on what transpires this weekend the only other player who has a good shot at the MVP other than Duncan is Stalock and perhaps the longshots are Rau if he can lead CC over DU this weekend and Lasch. If Stalock has a good weekend I could accept him winning as nobody expected much from UMD this season and he is the main reason that UMD is in the mix to host a first round playoff series.

I just liked the picture.

McBain is probably the best D in the league this year, even if you agree with the above comments. The reason he is a candidate is because no forward has had a Vanek/Parise type of year either. It's definately not obvious.

I'd go with either Duncs or Salock.

You could make a good case our MVP is the freshman goalie. He stole some points for us last week.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wisco website has a nice splash page for Jamie McBain.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/congrats.aspx?url...amp;sportID=119

That's pretty sad. This is a guy with the worst +/- on the team for all players.

Wisco has 5 d-men that have played 30 or more games. McBain is a -12 the other 4 are +2, -2, -1, +7.

The only d-men in the WCHA that have worse numbers play for Tech, they have 3 (-15, -14, -13).

McBain is at the bottom of the league for d-men in +/- and also has lowest rating on his team by a large margin.

Before you start promoting a defenseman for Hobey/All-American, shouldn't the player at least be doing a good job on the defensive end?

That's pretty sad. This is a guy with the worst +/- on the team for all players.

Wisco has 5 d-men that have played 30 or more games. McBain is a -12 the other 4 are +2, -2, -1, +7.

The only d-men in the WCHA that have worse numbers play for Tech, they have 3 (-15, -14, -13).

McBain is at the bottom of the league for d-men in +/- and also has lowest rating on his team by a large margin.

Before you start promoting a defenseman for Hobey/All-American, shouldn't the player at least be doing a good job on the defensive end?

Have you seen him play this year, besides against the Sioux?

:lol: You aren't serious right? :angry:

Yes I am serious, why is that not a valid argument? Only his teammate has more points than he does in the WCHA, and that's largely because of him. He's leading the best line in the WCHA, and the Gophers probably would be one of the worst 2 teams in the league without that top line. I'm not saying the Gophers are good at all or trying to toot their horn, but you have to give him credit where its due.

Yes I am serious, why is that not a valid argument? Only his teammate has more points than he does in the WCHA, and that's largely because of him. He's leading the best line in the WCHA, and the Gophers probably would be one of the worst 2 teams in the league without that top line. I'm not saying the Gophers are good at all or trying to toot their horn, but you have to give him credit where its due.

I don't think they're going to pick a guy from a middle of the pack team. The good thing for him is he has a chance to win it in the future....

What, he's already working out a contract?

:lol:

Jordan probably will win ROY. Not a big shocker there. The only person who really has a chance to beat Schroeder is Eids. Brad will likely take second though.

EDIT: Didn't realize you thought he should win MVP. Jordan Schroeder will not win MVP, but thanks for the great laugh I just got.

First of all, Schroeder is not even nominated for the award. And second of all, the "best line in the WCHA" is debatable. He'll probably get ROY, though I think Eids should...but whatever.

I'm not sure who will get MVP. I saw somewhere the players nominated by their teams for the award and I have no clue who will get it.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but....shouldn't a DEFENSIVE player be voted MVP for playing great DEFENSE? +/- is an indication that there are some issues on the defensive side. Especially when you have two other D on your team in the positive. I say give it to Marto before this dude. When Marto scores, we don't lose! Marto for MVP!

That line has had a good season, and yes they are valuable. Thats why there on the first line. Without Dunc, Gregoire, and Hex, our team would probably 5th or so. You can say that about every teams first line, without them they would struggle. I give you that, that without them, they would struggle tons. But as for a case for MVP? MOST VALUABLE? They've both had great seasons you can't argue with that.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but....shouldn't a DEFENSIVE player be voted MVP for playing great DEFENSE? +/- is an indication that there are some issues on the defensive side. Especially when you have two other D on your team in the positive. I say give it to Marto before this dude. When Marto scores, we don't lose! Marto for MVP!

i would say a combo of things. not just plain defense. if that was the case give it to zach jones. of course point production is going to turn heads when voting but imo a combo of D and numbers should be looked at and all these coaches know every payer from every team so that isnt hard to figure out

Jordan probably will win ROY. Not a big shocker there. The only person who really has a chance to beat Schroeder is Eids. Brad will likely take second though.

EDIT: Didn't realize you thought he should win MVP. Jordan Schroeder will not win MVP, but thanks for the great laugh I just got.

I know it probably will not happen, but theres not many people you could argue for it more than him.

And yes, other teams would struggle without their top line, but none in the WCHA is better than Stoa/Schroeder/Barriball...the rest of the team is pretty below average but those 3 are damn good.

I know it probably will not happen, but theres not many people you could argue for it more than him.

And yes, other teams would struggle without their top line, but none in the WCHA is better than Stoa/Schroeder/Barriball...the rest of the team is pretty below average but those 3 are damn good.

Again, that is debatable. Not everyone is going to agree on that. In fact, I don't. I'd let that argument rest right now.

But What Does the Top Line in the WCHA get you??? I DON'T agree with your choice, but to be the top line in the WCHA you need to have a few more W's than the Goph's...I mean seriously, if you have the Top Line in the WCHA you should not be swept 4 out of the last 7 WCHA series'...Come on dude, thake off your Homer Hat...They are skilled, but not close to the Top Line...

I think the CC top line with Walsky and Rau is more dynamic than the Stoa/Schroeder line for UMN.

The Sioux shut down the Stoa line pretty well in GF for the Sioux/Gopher series, but the Rau line for CC was a threat everytime they touched the ice this past weekend.

They may not have as many points as the Stoa line, but IMO they were more impressive.

In regards to the best in the WCHA, CC has a nice line with Rau, Walsky, and Lampl. If Owens had Sweatt on that line it would be by far the best line in the conference. However the superior coach Scott Owens (to The Don that is) spreads the talent out on his lines to produce a more balanced attack. Maybe they should do the same in gooferville???

I think the CC top line with Walsky and Rau is more dynamic than the Stoa/Schroeder line for UMN.

The Sioux shut down the Stoa line pretty well in GF for the Sioux/Gopher series, but the Rau line for CC was a threat everytime they touched the ice this past weekend.

They may not have as many points as the Stoa line, but IMO they were more impressive.

That's what I thought also. I wanted to close my eyes every time Rau had the puck. Which is why I said calling Stoa's line the best line in the WCHA is debatable. Some may think that, but i think most who were at the CC games this weekend would say that Rau's line was pretty darn impressive, and in my opinion the best line in the WCHA.

If you rank the top 50 or so defenseman in the WCHA by +/-, McBain is #47. The only three below him are from Michigan Tech. I would even cut the Tech guys a break before McBain because Tech is not a good team, their overall +/- is terrible. Their team +/- is by far the worst in the league.

There is just no way I would give any award to a defensman that is that far down on the list. He is by far the worst +/- even on his own team and he is the worst in the entire wcha if you throw out Tech. How can that be if he is a good defensive player ? And if he is not good on the defensive side, how can we consider him for an award ?

If you rank the top 50 or so defenseman in the WCHA by +/-, McBain is #47. The only three below him are from Michigan Tech. I would even cut the Tech guys a break before McBain because Tech is not a good team, their overall +/- is terrible. Their team +/- is by far the worst in the league.

There is just no way I would give any award to a defensman that is that far down on the list. He is by far the worst +/- even on his own team and he is the worst in the entire wcha if you throw out Tech. How can that be if he is a good defensive player ? And if he is not good on the defensive side, how can we consider him for an award ?

That is a good question.

In Brad's article today he said that "you won't find Ryan Duncan's name as a nominee" on the ballots handed out.

I mean why not. Why don't the ten teams nominate the player they think is most deserving?

If that's the case Duncan wouldn't have much chance of winning.

Schroeder is the most talented player in the WCHA IMO. I agree with the posters that CC's top line is the best in the WCHA.

I contend the UND's 3rd and 4th lines are the best in the WCHA and that is why we've won. I think our 1st and second lines are middle of the pack, and our defensive corps is very good (second half of the year).

I think Duncs could care less. He's already got an MVP and a Hobey, what he doesn't have is a MacNaughton Cup. A championship is worth more than every individual accolade imagineable combined.

That being said, most voters are blinded by individual stats. My vote for league MVP would actually have to be Alex Stalock. UMD is (at present) in the field of 16 for the NCAAs, UMD has one really good player and one good line (not great) and falls off dramatically. That team is where it is due to Alex Stalock.