SiouxSports.com Forum

My Four Favorite Words ...

The Sicatoka

Ah, and hence comes another opportunity to use my four favorite words.

Over the last 10 weeks it is no coincidence the Bison football team is losing games. Tahtonka has cursed these terrible people that rally around silk-screen buffalo that are sold like so many over fed dairy cows. Only NDSU can
make the name change
that will restore the mighty buffalo's spirit and only then will the winning seasons return.

http://www.ndsuspectrum.com/joomla/index.p...0&Itemid=42

Someone has been warning about things like this coming next for years: First "people", then "sacred images".

No one listened; let's try again.

PS - I. Told. You. So.

Ah, and hence comes another opportunity to use my four favorite words....

PS - I. Told. You. So.

It's unfortunate (IMHO) that we need to drag down other schools in order to make the point that should be self-evident:
EVERYONE
can find
SOMETHING
to scream about. Use some common sense; some jerks are just perpetually unsatisfied about everything, destined to go thru life as sad, small and unloved people. The less time you spend around this group (who will do nothing but drag you down) the better off you are.

But if that's what it takes to figuratively beat the NCAA MOIC over the head with a baseball bat, then so be it.

Ah, and hence comes another opportunity to use my four favorite words.

http://www.ndsuspectrum.com/joomla/index.p...0&Itemid=42

Someone has been warning about things like this coming next for years: First "people", then "sacred images".

No one listened; let's try again.

PS - I. Told. You. So.

I can only assume that this is someone's idea of a joke. I can only hope it is not because over-the-top demands like this should only help in the long run.

I can only assume that this is someone's idea of a joke. I can only hope it is not because over-the-top demands like this should only help in the long run.

I thought losing the Sioux name was a joke at first, we know where that's at.

I tell you I am thankful that God gave me a brain and I know how to use it. These type of people that write letters like the one provided int he link, truly are the most self-centered people ever. They want everyone to uphold their traditions, while not caring about other peoples. What I like the most is that the Bison football team was somehow losing games because these guy went into the woods and sweated and chanted. Well I guess lets get some SS.com members together and we can drink, dance and chant(Yeah Sioux Sioux) and then they will win another nation title. End of my rant. Sorry

My religion is just as good, just as valid as your religion. So I get to put up a display at the State Capital too.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-...0,2475692.story

:ohmy:

But the bigger point is that there is absolutely NO limit to the number of people who will be outraged at one thing or another; and its only when things like this happen that people start to say "wow, shouldn't we take a deep breath and kind of tell these idiots to get a life?"

I read the letter and I have to wonder if that person is being silly. I mean seriously. What next Huskies is offensive to Dogs?

I think you're missing the point of the letter. Bison, eagles, wolves, and other animals have always had a special place in NA religious and cultural life. By using the argument that these "icons" are essentially being blasphemed by teams using them as mascots, the writer is taking a similar tack that was used to attack UND's use of the Sioux name/logo. If that argument gains traction, 'su, BC, Maine, Michigan, BSU, Wisconsin, etc. could be facing their own little wars since somebody took it upon themselves to be offended by their use of "religious" symbols.

[edit: At first, I assumed the Spectrum letter was the same as the September Forum letter. Reading closer, I see that it's a new letter, but its wording and phrasing only deepens the suspicion that the whole thing is a hoax. Who? I don't know. But to get worked up over it seems like a waste of effort.]

By the way, this is a fairly old story. The letter was published back on September 8 in the Fargo Forum. The Herald did a follow-up piece two days later and found this:

Is the letter legitimate, or is it a prank - a diversionary tactic, perhaps, offered up by a defender of the Sioux logo, someone weary of the long-simmering debate over the nickname's propriety and future?

The Herald tried without success to contact the letter writer. There is no Joe Abbot in Lame Deer area telephone listings, and people at several local and tribal offices in the town of just over 2,000 people said they were not familiar with the name.

"I don't recall that last name or that individual," said Wallace Bearchum, director of tribal services for the Northern Cheyenne. The name does not appear on official tribal membership rolls.

The letter ran in the Forum's sports pages Monday. An editor said he called the telephone number provided by the writer to verify the letter's authenticity, which is standard letters policy, and a man who identified himself as Joe Abbot confirmed that he wrote the letter. But the original copy of the letter - with the phone number - then was discarded.

A friend sent me this link about Denver University's mascot getting the axe. I'm not a huge fan of the Washington Times but the article seems more legit than some random, ranting letter to the editor and this article does support the I-told-you-so

http://insider.washingtontimes.com/news/20...iversity-drive/

DU going to the "bitten into jelly donut" or "coffee stain" (I guess it's supposed to be a red-tailed hawk) logo was the precursor to this. Some DU fans were stating as much at the time. But no one listened to them either.

One more note: I had to search hard to find that logo. DU's website has more of the just "DENVER" or an interlocked DU logo than anything.

We'll soon all be Stanford, Harvard, North Texas, Dartmouth (oops), and Cornell: Just colors.

We'll soon all be Stanford, Harvard, North Texas, Dartmouth (oops), and Cornell: Just colors.

As long as that color isn't red....

Teachers using red pen to mark students' work could be harming their psyche as the color is too aggressive, according to education strategies drafted by an Australian state government.

Seeing red over scarlet-marked homework

As long as that color isn't red....

Seeing red over scarlet-marked homework

Ah-ha!

So Stanford (Cardinal, as in red) and Harvard (Crimson, as in red) and Cornell (Big Red, as in, er..., red) are all in the wrong!

More proof that ...

Green >> All shades of Red, including cardinal, crimson, and especially maroon.

I think you're missing the point of the letter. Bison, eagles, wolves, and other animals have always had a special place in NA religious and cultural life. By using the argument that these "icons" are essentially being blasphemed by teams using them as mascots, the writer is taking a similar tack that was used to attack UND's use of the Sioux name/logo. If that argument gains traction, 'su, BC, Maine, Michigan, BSU, Wisconsin, etc. could be facing their own little wars since somebody took it upon themselves to be offended by their use of "religious" symbols.

So what we are saying is Political Correctness is out of control and we have become a nation of thin skinned people. We can't call things what they are anymore. What the heck are we going to call our sports teams? I guess I didn't orginally take the writers article that seriously but now we are to be offended because a sports team named their team after a rodent or an animal? Yikes. Who is going to be the arbitor of this. So if a group yells loud enough we can force them to change?

You're a Puce fan! :sad:

Fuchsia! (clap-clap) Fuchsia! (clap-clap) Fuchsia! (clap-clap) ...

Oh, wait, fuchsia is too close to red. Sorry. ???

Laugh now: How far away is it really.

Fuchsia is hostile and abusive!

The first four letters can be turned into an obscenity by simply changing one letter to another!

Puce is far more acceptable!

But, hey, I'm PC so I'll change at every single person's being offended!

Viva the Marauding Mauve! ???

Didn't the Forum get a similar letter not so long ago. If I remember correctly they called the number included with the letter and confirmed who wrote it and then threw all of the guys information away. Later after the letter was published and Bison fans got into a tizzy, the Forum was unable to get back in touch with the guy.

DU going to the "bitten into jelly donut" or "coffee stain" (I guess it's supposed to be a red-tailed hawk) logo was the precursor to this. Some DU fans were stating as much at the time. But no one listened to them either.

There is no negotiating with the PC crowd. These people are simply nuts. Some may be satisfied momentarily, but others will keep on going. We still hear calls for the elimination of some songs played by the band as well as our nickname. These jokers are simply professional protesters, constantly outraged at something: its their raison d etre. They'll never build anything or accomplish something on their own-they only want to tear things down. IMHO they're nihilists in a way.
:lol:

And why the Sooners get a pass on all of this I'll never know.
:huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to the color theme for a nickname. How about The North Dakota Green

This could be the logo...

$

We could trademark it. :sad:

The school mascot could be a man in a business suit.

The school song could be Money by Pink Floyd.

Every time the school score a goal or a touchdown you hear a cash register over the PA.