SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA, College Hockey is underway

AZSIOUX

I hope work wasn't getting in the way :lol:

The BREC will be 4,000 seats (the WCHA minimum). Not sure on the max capacity.

I believe right now BSU has about 700-800 season tickets in a 2,400 seat arena. They get about 3,100 for the Sioux and slightly less for other WCHA games.

Nah, I actually was busy at work today, I was at home. :D

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think that would ever be formed anytime soon. not enough programs to do so in the real big 10. we have no say in this matter as we all know. it will be up to the 10 teams. they will need 8 votes to get them in. should be interesting.

What I said was half a joke. However, I think if they can get to 6 or 7 teams, I think it's doable. If PSU, Illinois, or Purdue were to start hockey, and then the Big Ten as a whole could convince Notre Dame to join for all sports, then there would be some serious potential. Right now there are 5 Big10 teams that play D1 hockey, but like I said, if they can get to 6 or 7, that'd be pretty convincing.

What I said was half a joke. However, I think if they can get to 6 or 7 teams, I think it's doable. If PSU, Illinois, or Purdue were to start hockey, and then the Big Ten as a whole could convince Notre Dame to join for all sports, then there would be some serious potential. Right now there are 5 Big10 teams that play D1 hockey, but like I said, if they can get to 6 or 7, that'd be pretty convincing.

gotcha, even if those teams did get d-1 progams it wuld take them many years to be valid and able to compete vs the existing teams. what about bsu and neb omaha to make it an even 12. im not even thinking about less games vs rivals and so on for those who bring that up because in the end we have no say what so ever in this. im just wondering if they would want a 11 team league or make it a even 12. not sure if that would matter. i guess we will know for good in april

gotcha, even if those teams did get d-1 progams it wuld take them many years to be valid and able to compete vs the existing teams. what about bsu and neb omaha to make it an even 12. im not even thinking about less games vs rivals and so on for those who bring that up because in the end we have no say what so ever in this. im just wondering if they would want a 11 team league or make it a even 12. not sure if that would matter. i guess we will know for good in april

The Coaches show on 1-07-2009 Hak talks about some of the issues surround the expansion of the WCHA.

Interesting issues facing the league. Hak actually brought up the dreaded pulling at large bids if the NCAA loses too many

more teams. That would be bad for the NCAA.

Well, in the case of Notre Dame, they already have their program in place, it's just a matter of switching conferences...which would be a much shorter process than if a current team without a hockey program tried implementing one. I think PSU or Purdue would be the front runners to join D1 hockey, if it were to happen.

This wouldn't be a short process, it's still years off, but if the WCHA gets too crowded, and attendance starts to suffer slightly at programs that could sell out more games against bigger, more well-known rivals, I don't see how that process couldn't go through.

Interesting issues facing the league. Hak actually brought up the dreaded pulling at large bids if the NCAA loses too many

more teams.

I was pondering that. 16 tourney bids is too many for 58 teams. When the change to 16 was made, D-I hockey appeared to be growing. If it drops to 55 or so teams, 16 starts to look ridiculous. Contracting back down to 12 would be nice for our national championship chances, but horrible for the sport.

I was pondering that. 16 tourney bids is too many for 58 teams. When the change to 16 was made, D-I hockey appeared to be growing. If it drops to 55 or so teams, 16 starts to look ridiculous. Contracting back down to 12 would be nice for our national championship chances, but horrible for the sport.

I think the money factor will keep it at 16 teams but I can see the NCAA threatening to start pulling at large bids if

the conferences don't figure out something for these teams in the CHA.

The part that scares me in all this is that by adding all these teams to conferences we are essentially hindering any further development. Every conference is going to be full and no one will want to take on a newcomer. In a way it'd be nice (or convenient) if the NCAA said a hockey conference could only have 10 teams. That way the coupe with 12 (CCHA and ECAC) would each be forced to drop two and the CHA is saved with room for future programs.

I've always been against a Big Ten HC but now it might be the only thing to get future expansion rolling.

The part that scares me in all this is that by adding all these teams to conferences we are essentially hindering any further development. Every conference is going to be full and no one will want to take on a newcomer. In a way it'd be nice (or convenient) if the NCAA said a hockey conference could only have 10 teams. That way the coupe with 12 (CCHA and ECAC) would each be forced to drop two and the CHA is saved with room for future programs.

I've always been against a Big Ten HC but now it might be the only thing to get future expansion rolling.

Like I was saying.... :huh:

AZSIOUX picks for the week

North Dakota at Michigan Tech

Alaska-Anchorage at Minnesota State

St. Cloud State at Minnesota

Colorado College at Wisconsin

Minnesota at St. Cloud State

St. Cloud State at Minnesota

Minnesota at St. Cloud State

Good luck AZ!

UND slid to 20th in the PWR with the tie.

In somewhat better news, alot of teams near us in the PWR lost tonight:

Maine, CC, SCSU, BC, Michigan, Miami, Air Force, etc.

We need a win tomorrow. Can't settle for a tie or loss.

That is why I am not freaking out right now there is a lot of silly stuff going on right now.

Miami is falling faster than a prom dress at a post prom party.

So is Air Force. They lost to Canisius last night.

Remember when people were saying that they could go undefeated? :)

Since Air Farce went 13-0-0 they are 2-5-1. Not a lot of talk about them going to the big dance anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got beat in their conference tourney. There is a lot of crazy stuff going on in College Hockey right now. Nothing is set in stone. Michigan lost to BBSU and they suck.

That is why I am not freaking out right now there is a lot of silly stuff going on right now.

Miami is falling faster than a prom dress at a post prom party.

Miami is awful.

Really, the only legit CCHA teams are Michigan and Notre Dame. Both are beatable (Michigan more than Notre Dame). I think, in the end, Notre Dame will be the last CCHA team standing.