SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Hale got an assist on an empty net goal with about 4 minutes left in the game. Then with 3 minutes left Hale rocked a player for the Kings who was lifting a bit off his feet and hit one of the sides of the partitions between benchs. Hale did get his stick up and took a penalty. But, he did give the guy a bloody mouth.

Great to see Dave Hale kickin some ass and getting some playing time in NJ. Dave has played in all but 5 of the Devils games this year and a few of those he was banged up, for a total of 15. He has yet to put a puck in the net but has 2 assists, 17 penalty minutes, and is currently a -1 rating, not bad considdering he never played a game in the Minors.

Paul Martin has played 13 games and has been a healthy scratch the past few nights. Has a goal and an assist, is a +1 and has yet to go to the sin bin and feel any shame.

Great to see Dave Hale kickin some ass and getting some playing time in NJ. Dave has played in all but 5 of the Devils games this year and a few of those he was banged up, for a total of 15. He has yet to put a puck in the net but has 2 assists, 17 penalty minutes, and is currently a -1 rating, not bad considdering he never played a game in the Minors.

Paul Martin has played 13 games and has been a healthy scratch the past few nights. Has a goal and an assist, is a +1 and has yet to go to the sin bin and feel any shame.

Everyone in the college hockey world is saying that the NJ organization is t he key to success in the NHL instead of buying your way. The more and more I watch NJ's draft day decisions and transactions, the more I think "classy organization."

NJ is playing old time hockey in a new hockey regime and is making everyone look like fools! I still like the Red Wings, but even if I do, I can still root for the Devils because they're in a different conference ;)

NJ vs Det Stanley Cup!

Being an old-school Jersey boy (as old school at a 22 year old can be after living in Grand Forks for 4 years) I have been following the Devils since the late 80s when they sucked, but they always were a class team with players that wanted to be their. Lou Lamerello (GM) is a class guy and only puts class guys on his team. They dont have a 50 goal scorer because everybody score 15-20 goal a year. They are a deep team and everybody plays if they work for it.

Im sure you can all guess how happy I was when the Devils drafted Parise, rest assured the Devils will not sign him just to sign him. The will sign him when they think he can make an impact at the NHL level. David Hale case in point.

I got to see Hale play in Anaheim on Tuesday night. He didn't make much of an impact, but he did get some good licks in. Unfortunately, as the game was close, Burns shortened up his benches fairly early in the second and Hale made it on the ice sparingly the second half of the game.

Being an old-school Jersey boy (as old school at a 22 year old can be after living in Grand Forks for 4 years) I have been following the Devils since the late 80s when they sucked, but they always were a class team with players that wanted to be their. Lou Lamerello (GM) is a class guy and only puts class guys on his team. They dont have a 50 goal scorer because everybody score 15-20 goal a year. They are a deep team and everybody plays if they work for it.

Im sure you can all guess how happy I was when the Devils drafted Parise, rest assured the Devils will not sign him just to sign him. The will sign him when they think he can make an impact at the NHL level. David Hale case in point.

One of the only things I like about NJ is that they do not rush their young players to the NHL they get brought in slowly. I am sure they will do that with Zach.

Flat spin is right Boston used to own NJ now its the other way around. I remember going to game 7 at the Boston Garden and watching the B's lay the woods to the Dirt Devils now if Boston is in a series with NJ I pretty much expect the Devils to beat the Bruins. I tolerate them now but I hated them when they had the dirty Turtle Claud Lepew on their team. I loved watching Cam Neely try to drive Claud's head through the boards one time after Claud cheaped Cam.

I got to see Hale play in Anaheim on Tuesday night. He didn't make much of an impact, but he did get some good licks in. Unfortunately, as the game was close, Burns shortened up his benches fairly early in the second and Hale made it on the ice sparingly the second half of the game.

The radio broadcast of that game talked about Hale and Martin leaving college early and that they were even paired together for a while. Imagine that, a Sioux and a Gopher on the same blue line.

Paul Martin made NHL Intermission Report last night during the Wings-Blues game.

He scored a goal and got an assist. Ended the night at +2. Hale didn't score any points but ended the night on an even +/-.

KG is the bomb. 2 time All American, 4 time All academic. 4.0 in Marketing at UND. The dude could wake up tommorrow and (heaven forbid) hang up his skates and he'd probably be hired on the spot by Columbus to work in their front office. Needless to say, he's going to be around for quite a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I hacked it up a bit, but this is a Hockey's Future thread with comments from NJ Devils fans about David Hale and Paul Martin. It's nice to read. The two WCHAers seem to be doing well.

-------------------------------

Now that almost 1/3 is gone and Martin and Hale have been playing regularly, let's hear your reviews.

--------------------------------------

No complaints...

-----------------------------------------

I complained in the beginning of the season about Martin, but now he's OK with me since I have another defenceman to complain about all the time.

Hale I have no problems with.

------------------------------------

Its pretty incredible that the D has been as solid as it has all season despite having two rookies learning on the job from the vets and coaching staff. I think you have to really give it up for Laperriere, Burns, Stevens, Niedermayer, Carpenter, and the rest of the Devils coaching staff.

Couple of thoughts:

Paul Martin has progressed faster then David Hale and is looking way more comfortable getting involved in the offense with Burns pushing him to take more initiative in the attacking zone when he's in control of the puck. Someone in the Bruins forum was recently ripping Pat Burns for holding back Tverdovsky's offensive skills last season which I had a good laugh over when I thought back to last season. Burns didn't hold Oleg back at all with regards to carrying the puck, shooting the puck, and trying to get things going on the PP from the point. He has a good hard shot and terrific speed, but it wasn't very accurate to say the least.

David Hale is still learning, but he's doing a commendable job for a kid fresh out of college. It wouldn't surprise me if both rookies stay up with the team all season long now barring injuries. Once Hale gets his hitting game and mean streak in order, things will probably come together faster for him with regards to watching him take things to the next level imo.

I wholeheartedly concur.

Martin made a pretty good defenseive play tonight vs the Isles.

}:-)>

Giroux who? They've made me forget for now, but I would still like to see Lou get another stay-at-home vet on the blueline for the post-season. I'm not comfortable with Hale-Martin-Albelin-Brown as the bottom 4 in a seven-game series. I'm not sure if the youngsters will be ready to take it to the next level. There was a reason Smehlik was acquired at last year's deadline. I don't know if Hale, Martin, or Brown could walk on after sitting out a round like Daneyko and Tverdovsky were able to last season.

-----------------------------------

Martin really needs to add some weight, maybe in the offseason but he looks to be no more then 175. Come playoff time if he continues to impress they will be gunning for him making him cause turnovers. Hale has been really solid so far but needs to hit a bit more, I know it will come.

Matt DeMarchi will be on the team next year and mark my words. This guy is the perfect Daneyko replacment, is showing some good offense in Albany, and is great defensivly. I wish they called him up instead of Brown.

Martin and Hale have been impressive. The Devils haven't let up the least goals because of Stevens, Nieds, Raf and Brodeur alone. The two young kids have done what they've had to.

Rookie mistakes are made no matter who you are. The Great One, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, etc. All of these guys made their fair share of rookie mistakes. Everybody does it and some of us are going to have to learn that.

Hale has been great, IMO. Martin could up his physical game a bit but that's also something that we're going to have to live with. Not every player is physical. That's why we've got guys like Hale, Stevens, etc.

-------------------------------------

Another assist for Martin (on an OT GWG no less)...he's on pace for around 20 points this year, and is something like 2nd in rookie plus/minus. Logged 20 minutes of ice-time last night. Good for him.

-----------------------------------------

I though Martin was atrocius the first dozen games and has since become much, much better. He's stepping up and taking the shot in a situation where he used to step back and cover the neutral zone.

On the flipside, I think Hale has stalled. I suppose it's harder for a nonscoring defenseman to get noticed, but I never had that problem with Colin White. Hale is just... invisible, it seems. Which I suppose is better than being visibly mistake-prone.

-----------------------------------

I'll take a quietly effective rookie defenseman anyday. White made some standout hits and whatnot his rookie year, but also took a bunch of bonehead penalties from overaggressiveness. Hale's playing with his head first, which bodes well for us. The physical edge will come with time, and he's smarter than White will ever be.

There is NO SUCH THING as overaggressiveness

Did anybody get to watch A rookie in 1982 for the Washington Capitals that wore #3. Soooo many said he is "too agressive", "he wouldn't last".

But on the Rookies............

Hale-

I can't complain about Hale's play, but I have to admit I am more than a little dissappointed that the mean streak, aggressiveness and hitting ability hasn't been shown yet. I would really like to see Hale drop the gloves. For no other reason than to see a little more snarl in his game.

I am really surprised to see how often he jumps into the play when the offensive opportunity arises. Hale is a much smoother skater than I remembered from seeing him while playing at North Dakota. His shot seems to very good although we haven't seen it all that often.

Hale shows a tremdous amount of poise in difficult situations and seems to make the safe play everytime. My Grade for Hale is B+

Martin -

Between the two, Martin's improvement seems to to be much greater than Hale's. That being said, I think Martin needed to have a greater improvement.

Defensively he looks confused and lost from time to time. I think "uncertain" is the word I'm I'm looking for. Martin still looks like he has trouble along the boards and behind the net, but there has been improvement. If Martin continues to improve at the pace he has, he will be an extremely valuable asset before this season is over.

I am very surprised Martin has been given Powerplay time so early on, but he oozes offenses. His shot from the point in my opinion is as good or better (I know your thinking Rafalski, but Rafalski's shot is completely different. Rafalski will not over power a goaltender like I think Martin can) than any current devil.

From my perspective, I think we have gotten more than could be expected from Martin at this stage of his career. My grade for Martin is C+

----------------------------------

Lets just say...Lou thought there were ready and both are bring it so far.

I've been watching Devils replays a lot lately and the other night in Philly Hale didn't look too good. He had a couple of bad turnovers and took a terrible/unlucky penalty at the end of the game. He had his stick on the ice and the Philly player stepped on it and tripped. Penalty Hale. He seems almost timid at times. The physical play does need to pick up for him or I think he'll be sitting. Especially if DeMarchi is improving. The bit I've seen, he doesn't even really bang guys around in front of the net.

I think Martin has benefitted by playing with Stevens a lot. Hale is on the third pair, while Martin has kind of been roving. I guess it's probably because NJ has more stay at home defenseman ala Hale, than the scorers.

I've been watching Devils replays a lot lately and the other night in Philly Hale didn't look too good. He had a couple of bad turnovers and took a terrible/unlucky penalty at the end of the game. He had his stick on the ice and the Philly player stepped on it and tripped. Penalty Hale. He seems almost timid at times. The physical play does need to pick up for him or I think he'll be sitting. Especially if DeMarchi is improving. The bit I've seen, he doesn't even really bang guys around in front of the net.

I think Martin has benefitted by playing with Stevens a lot. Hale is on the third pair, while Martin has kind of been roving. I guess it's probably because NJ has more stay at home defenseman ala Hale, than the scorers.

Hale didn't play his best game of the year against Philly. I got together with some buddies to watch the game and we all agreed that he almost looked timid out there.