SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Best Attendance in the nation

OETKB

In addition to having a great fan base at home I think it's also impressive to see so many Sioux fans when the team plays on the road. Last season I went to games in Mankato, St.Cloud, Duluth and in Wisconsin and we had an outstanding following. Also must add that the large number of Sioux fans that show up to watch all the home games on the tv at a local sports bar here in St. Cloud and also down in Mesa, Arizona. My wife and I were down in Az last Feb. and we were glad we arrived early to the sports bar in Mesa because it was packed with Sioux fans all decked out in their jerseys! Go Sioux!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention Sioux fans installing FTA systems can almost singlehandedly keep PSB in the business :D

A heads up, the G26 (93W, last season's location for FSSN) is dying, year round FTA channels on that sat are jumping ship to nearby satellites. All that means is those of you with fixed systems will likely be repointing them to another bird this fall (maybe back to 89W)

When you wake up living in a city whose pro teams have sucked or, at best, been mediocre, for 17 years, you tend to yearn for a winning program. I would have thought Gopher hockey provided that for MSP residents.

Red - your disdain for MN pro sports notwithstanding, the following points are true: The Wild, Wolves, Vikings, Gophers football/basketball and the other 4 Div I hockey programs still draw hundreds of thousands combined per year regardless of their lack of recent championships. Those tickets in fact cost money which in fact spreads the local entertainment dollar around and you're not going to get a non-hockey fan to convert just because they're favorite team may have the lesser record during a particular season.

Of course most importantly none of that matters since the Gophers can't sell more tickets than they already do without rebuilding. :D

Either way this does nothing to disparage UND's attendance record - your fans have proven their loyalty so there's nothing to worry about. :D

Not to mention Sioux fans installing FTA systems can almost singlehandedly keep PSB in the business :D

A heads up, the G26 (93W, last season's location for FSSN) is dying, year round FTA channels on that sat are jumping ship to nearby satellites. All that means is those of you with fixed systems will likely be repointing them to another bird this fall (maybe back to 89W)

crap...this otta be good.

I am a Sioux Fan and i do think we have great fans, but almost every game i go to at the ralph i notice that it gets so quite in our building that you can hear a pin drop often. The only time the crowd is into the game is when there is a hit or we score. What is up with that?

I was hoping someone would mention this. Id rather have 10 loud as sh*t fans than 11,000 quiet ones. Capacity or attendance means nothing when you can hear pindrops. I personally think the crowd blows and Ive missed about 5 total games since the place opened. But this can also be blamed on the people running the games itself, such as audio and the music(volume, music type) ect. Ill bite my lip for the rest...

I was hoping someone would mention this. Id rather have 10 loud as sh*t fans than 11,000 quiet ones. Capacity or attendance means nothing when you can hear pindrops. I personally think the crowd blows and Ive missed about 5 total games since the place opened. But this can also be blamed on the people running the games itself, such as audio and the music(volume, music type) ect. Ill bite my lip for the rest...

I think fans forgot how quiet the Old Ralph would get.

I'm watching the Wisco series on tape from the Old Ralph from the '00-'01 season on the Wisco MSC feed. Comments from the Wisco announcers about how quiet the crowd is both nights & the proverbial pindrop come up quite often.

Their comments are true & it wasn't a blow-out by Wisco. First night was a tied game & I'm in the middle of watching the second game. The crowd is very quiet, even the student section. They're all standing but that sure isn't helping the noise levels as some people claim is part of the New Ralph's quiet crowds.

I think fans forgot how quiet the Old Ralph would get.

I'm watching the Wisco series on tape from the Old Ralph from the '00-'01 season on the Wisco MSC feed. Comments from the Wisco announcers about how quiet the crowd is both nights & the proverbial pindrop come up quite often.

Goofy's at the old Ralph, 2-15-'98. The second period was so quiet you could hear conversations a section away! In the third period, good things started happening on the ice. On DVD, watching the game you can see a guy in the student sections standing, waving his arms and yelling at the students to get up and get into the game. They did. We won. It was one of the most exciting games third periods I have ever seen.

The students didn't get into that game until the team did, NOT the other way around.

I laugh every time I hear a Sioux fan say this. You know very well that the Ralph was half emty during those lean years in the early to mid nineties.

Never half empty! Season tickets were still a hot commodity and there was a several years waiting list to get one.

Just goes to show how many games you attended. :lol:

Never half empty! Season tickets were still a hot commodity and there was a several years waiting list to get one.

Just goes to show how many games you attended. :lol:

I hope you're kidding. There were thousands of empty seats in the old Ralph during those years. You either have a short memory or simply refuse to be objective about your favorite team.

....be objective about your favorite team.

:lol:

Season tickets have had a waiting list as long as I can remember. I did miss some games but I honestly do not remember the Ralph ever being half empty. Well, during my sons' hockey camps at the U, perhaps, they were.

:lol:

Season tickets have had a waiting list as long as I can remember. I did miss some games but I honestly do not remember the Ralph ever being half empty. Well, during my sons' hockey camps at the U, perhaps, they were.

I remember trying to get one too and being told that I would have to wait in line for a LONG time.

I've been led to believe the waiting list for hockey season tickets is nonexistent.

I admit that since I have season tickets now, I don't know if there is a waiting list for them or not. I do know that in the 1980s, 1990s and earlier this century, there was a several years long waiting list.

I've been led to believe the waiting list for hockey season tickets is nonexistent.

There is still a waiting list to get tickets we tried last season and this year we wanted to change our tickets and were told we really couldn't do it. We would have to wait in line.

There is still a waiting list to get tickets we tried last season and this year we wanted to change our tickets and were told we really couldn't do it. We would have to wait in line.

That is interesting, they advertised for weeks leading up to the beginning of the season how there were still season tickets "available".

I know of some people who never were on a waiting list who got tickets last season as well.

That is interesting, they advertised for weeks leading up to the beginning of the season how there were still season tickets "available".

I know of some people who never were on a waiting list who got tickets last season as well.

Certain upper level corner sections are available for season tickets. The "waiting list" is for the more sought after seats in the lower bowl.

There are season tickets available. However they are 1 seat here and there and in the upper bowl with bad sight lines (possibly lower as well). Do not expect tickets in the lower bowl as first they go to people around the section, then they go to other lower bowl people looking to move and finally they are offered to upper level people.

But there is a line to get tickets. It just shows that UND hockey is really the biggest show in ND. I'd like to get the number of season ticket holders from outside EGF/GF. Incredible for a town our size!

I think a better indicator of how great UND fans are is the road support. It doesn't matter if it is in St. Paul, Denver, Milwaukee, etc. The road support is simply awesome. Anyone who has been on a hockey road trip knows what I am talking about. Check out Mankato, St. Cloud or Duluth this year, I guarantee it will be fun, win or lose. Try out Al Pearson's bus too! Those older folks know how to party!

I think a better indicator of how great UND fans are is the road support. It doesn't matter if it is in St. Paul, Denver, Milwaukee, etc. The road support is simply awesome. Anyone who has been on a hockey road trip knows what I am talking about. Check out Mankato, St. Cloud or Duluth this year, I guarantee it will be fun, win or lose. Try out Al Pearson's bus too! Those older folks know how to party!

That is something, for sure, that anyone can agree upon. Even other teams, especially game announcers always say that we travel well.