SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Best Attendance in the nation

OETKB

To buckysieve and others like you, this "there's nothing to do in (insert any city in ND, SD, WI, IA, northern MN here)":

I live in Grand Forks. I attend, on average, 1 viking game, 2 twins games, 1 wild game per year. In addition to that, I attend all UND home hockey and football games, a few road games as well. I attend concerts in GF or Fargo, visit the bar occasionally for a few brews, hit up a local restaurant when I can, take in a movie, grill on my deck, golf several area courses, and visit the lake as much as I can in the summer, head to Winnipeg 1 time a year. I believe people living in GF, Fargo, Green Bay, etc have it way better than you in the twin cities... sure, I have to drive 4.5 hours to go to a game, but that absolutely beats dealing with 1-2 hours round trip of traffic per day just to get to work, as well as a myriad of other reasons. Some of you idiots in the twin cities metro have this superiority complex, when in reality, we in these "hickville" cities enjoy all of the same things YOU do. Remember, I live in ND because i CHOSE to. How many of you folks in the metro area live there because you HAVE to. (in other words, you are there because you found a job easier, you get paid more, etc, when you would love to move back to your hometown such as GF or Fargo, etc)

End rant.

Nice rant!!!! I totally agree with you.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bucky you need to get over that a little bit. SO what if there is more to do. There is also 30 times the people in Minneapolis then GF and Green Bay. So look at the attendance on a per capity basis. Minneapolis has around 3 million people and Grand Forks and surrounding area has around 96K. So take it from that perspective!

I lived in North Dakota for 25 years and their fans (Sioux fans, Bison fans) are no differnt than any other fan base in supporting their teams. When their teams do well they support the hell out of them (going to the games, verbally supporting, etc) but if they have a few down years they stop going to the games and rip on their teams verbally. I know Grand Forks is smaller than the Twin Cities but where were these loyal Sioux fans in the mid nineties when the Sioux hockey team was struggling. They were getting maybe 3,000 people attending their games, anybody attending these games can verify this. Since then the Sioux has had success and this same fan base that abandoned them have returned to support them. This is classic bandwagon fans just like evry other fan base, including Minnesota fans.

To buckysieve and others like you, this "there's nothing to do in (insert any city in ND, SD, WI, IA, northern MN here)":

I live in Grand Forks. I attend, on average, 1 viking game, 2 twins games, 1 wild game per year. In addition to that, I attend all UND home hockey and football games, a few road games as well. I attend concerts in GF or Fargo, visit the bar occasionally for a few brews, hit up a local restaurant when I can, take in a movie, grill on my deck, golf several area courses, and visit the lake as much as I can in the summer, head to Winnipeg 1 time a year. I believe people living in GF, Fargo, Green Bay, etc have it way better than you in the twin cities... sure, I have to drive 4.5 hours to go to a game, but that absolutely beats dealing with 1-2 hours round trip of traffic per day just to get to work, as well as a myriad of other reasons. Some of you idiots in the twin cities metro have this superiority complex, when in reality, we in these "hickville" cities enjoy all of the same things YOU do. Remember, I live in ND because i CHOSE to. How many of you folks in the metro area live there because you HAVE to. (in other words, you are there because you found a job easier, you get paid more, etc, when you would love to move back to your hometown such as GF or Fargo, etc)

End rant.

If you can't even admit that there are more entertainment options in Minneapolis than in Grand Forks then I don't know what to tell you. The reason I enjoy living in the Twin Cities and why I could never live in a town like Grand Forks is the diversity. And I don't have a superiority complex about living in a big city. There's nothing wrong with living in small towns. I'm just saying that there is more to do in large cities, that's just a fact.

If you can't even admit that there are more entertainment options in Minneapolis than in Grand Forks then I don't know what to tell you. The reason I enjoy living in the Twin Cities and why I could never live in a town like Grand Forks is the diversity. And I don't have a superiority complex about living in a big city. There's nothing wrong with living in small towns. I'm just saying that there is more to do in large cities, that's just a fact.

You live in the twin cities for diversity, when you get done with your sensitivity training let us know. What an answer, are you talking entertainment diversity? I know what you mean Bucky, there might be more to do. But as I said when you look at the attendance from a per capity stand-point even you have to admit that UND has done a great job.

Believe me I am leaving the twin cities in less then two weeks for a small town and am going to miss some of the things around here. But it is not the things like the twins games or the theatre. It is the small things that I am going to miss. You can find stuff to do anywhere you live. But like going to a great bar(bucky, you know the one I mean, where I first kinda meet you). Those are things that have me struggling with this move. Oh and that my wife and son are staying here.

You live in the twin cities for diversity, when you get done with your sensitivity training let us know. What an answer, are you talking entertainment diversity? I know what you mean Bucky, there might be more to do. But as I said when you look at the attendance from a per capity stand-point even you have to admit that UND has done a great job.

Believe me I am leaving the twin cities in less then two weeks for a small town and am going to miss some of the things around here. But it is not the things like the twins games or the theatre. It is the small things that I am going to miss. You can find stuff to do anywhere you live. But like going to a great bar(bucky, you know the one I mean, where I first kinda meet you). Those are things that have me struggling with this move. Oh and that my wife and son are staying here.

Why can't different strokes for different folks apply here? City mouse, country mouse. We all know a guy from here that lives there. We all know someone from there who couldn't wait to get here. Which ever way that sentence applies to you. Your going to defend your own beliefs. This is so funny. People that want the metropolitan life life in a metro area, same for rural areas unless life or a job takes you away (7>5, I feel for you, facing a similar situation in a possible move to Omaha) Nobody is wrong, what works for one, may not work for the other. Man, I hate the off-season! I cant wait until the "Kangas was a one year wonder" thread starts when he gives up 3 goals and, the "Duncan is nothing without Toews and Oshie" when he has 1 point after the first weekend. This isn't directed towards anyone specific, just an opinion from a hockey starved fan. 90 days seems like forever away......

Why can't different strokes for different folks apply here? City mouse, country mouse. We all know a guy from here that lives there. We all know someone from there who couldn't wait to get here. Which ever way that sentence applies to you. Your going to defend your own beliefs. This is so funny. People that want the metropolitan life life in a metro area, same for rural areas unless life or a job takes you away (7>5, I feel for you, facing a similar situation in a possible move to Omaha) Nobody is wrong, what works for one, may not work for the other. Man, I hate the off-season! I cant wait until the "Kangas was a one year wonder" thread starts when he gives up 3 goals and, the "Duncan is nothing without Toews and Oshie" when he has 1 point after the first weekend. This isn't directed towards anyone specific, just an opinion from a hockey starved fan. 90 days seems like forever away......

Great post. I could not agree more. It is also a matter of one's perspective. A person from Chicago or New York might find Minneapolis to be too small, or not diverse enough, or not enough to do. Now, let's get back to talking hockey.

Good grief!!! Big city, little city, blah blah blah..

I was born and raised in Chicago. THAT's a big city. Minneapolis is a sprawling suburb. Big deal. No matter where I've lived, including Dewey,Illinois, polulation around 600, I was able to enjoy 'the arts', sports, bars, people, 'culture', etc. It's the twenty first centrury people!! We have motorized wagons, flying transportation. We can go anywhere we want and do what ever we want (if we can afford it).

Quit with the 'mine is bigger than yours' whinning, already!

ON TOPIC,

UND fans are the best at home and on the rode (thanks to those new fangled motorized wagons).

I in no way was trying to say that one was better then the other. What I was pointing out is that the Sioux's attendance was a great accomplishment due to the fact that the GF area is a lot smaller then the twin cities. So the argument that Bucky was giving about less to do or more to do, is not really valid. My point is, I have no point it is part of my charm. Go Sioux!!

As in the big city, small city, each side will have prejudice applied in thier submissions. No one should say anything other than the Sioux fans support their team very well, at REA or on the road. Many WCHA schools follow their teams well. UND is my favorite trip of the year, not because of the idiots, we all unfortunately, have in our fan base's. Its the true fans that love their University and it's hockey program and will defend it to the ends beyond facts, that i respect and look forward to meeting each trip up. Regardless of how much people may go overboard one way or the other. As long as the love of the University and game is at the base, not some stupid stereo-type or agenda; I love talking hockey and life with the true, good in nature person and the great fan.....Its always interesting when rival fans talk about any subject. You definitely get two sides of the discussion. :lol: