SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Best Attendance in the nation

OETKB

I know this has been stated before in this post. The Kohl Center and The Ralph are probably the two biggest arenas in college hockey for seating so it shouldn't be a surprise. Minnesota's arena holds 10,000 people which is 1,406 less than The Ralph and 5,000+ less then the Kohl Center. So common logic should hold that they have higher attendance numbers than most. One thing that I wonder, since I've never ventured to the Kohl Center is do they sell tickets for all those seats for hockey games. I've been to watch some of the women's games at The Ralph and they only sell for the lower bowl I believe, I don't pay that close attention cause I mainly get in and go sit down low towards the glass.

I'm not trying to diminish what the Sioux did for attendance. But look at comparative sizes of arenas around the league and D-I Hockey.

Still a great accomplishment by The Ralph in being tops in attendance.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's actually some truth to that. We have four professional sports teams and a Big Ten school all in the same city. The fan base gets spread around as opposed to cities like Green Bay or Grand Forks where there is one team who clearly is the top dog.

And there was no "lack of vision" when building the new Mariucci. It's a perfect hockey arena with the best sightlines of any arena I've ever been in. I'm glad it's the size it is.

wow - no wonder there are 2.8 million metropolitan minny residents

but then again - this may have something to do with it

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/p...0614/1225/GPG02

there- I'm not the only one that believes this

wow - no wonder there are 2.8 million metropolitan minny residents

but then again - this may have something to do with it

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/p...0614/1225/GPG02

there- I'm not the only one that believes this

I lived in Colorado and in Minnesota. I have to say that Minnesota by a long shot has the most fair weathered fans in all of sports. I am not a fan of the Vikings but they had to have the TV stations bail them out how many times last year or there games would have been blacked out. That is pathetic for a town this size and as good of Vikings fans they claim to be.

Go Sioux!

I know this has been stated before in this post. The Kohl Center and The Ralph are probably the two biggest arenas in college hockey for seating so it shouldn't be a surprise. Minnesota's arena holds 10,000 people which is 1,406 less than The Ralph and 5,000+ less then the Kohl Center. So common logic should hold that they have higher attendance numbers than most. One thing that I wonder, since I've never ventured to the Kohl Center is do they sell tickets for all those seats for hockey games. I've been to watch some of the women's games at The Ralph and they only sell for the lower bowl I believe, I don't pay that close attention cause I mainly get in and go sit down low towards the glass.

I'm not trying to diminish what the Sioux did for attendance. But look at comparative sizes of arenas around the league and D-I Hockey.

So if the Seawolves had an 18,000 seat arena they would have the highest attendance in the nation?

also - lest we forget that the uchi way over sells their standing room only tickets. You used to be able to buy the place to stand - they are still numbered. But they quit that a few years ago when they decided that they could sell 900 of these when there are only 400 spaces to stand -- these numbers are my own and are probably not accurate - but the concept is

of course this only happens when the sioux and badger fans are in town though

So if the Seawolves had an 18,000 seat arena they would have the highest attendance in the nation?

I am not saying that if Alaksa-Anchorage had a 18,000 seat arena they would have the highest attendance. All that I merely said was that its easier to have the highest attendance when you have a bigger arena. Thats just simple logic. If Mariucci was bigger, who knows maybe the Gophers would have a higher attendance then the Sioux. I stated above that the Kohl Center was 5,000+ bigger than Mariucci. My only question with the Kohl Center that I had was do they sell tickets for EVERY SEAT for the games. My example was the Sioux Women's team who sells General Admission tickets and only allows people in the lower bowl.

I lived in Colorado and in Minnesota. I have to say that Minnesota by a long shot has the most fair weathered fans in all of sports. I am not a fan of the Vikings but they had to have the TV stations bail them out how many times last year or there games would have been blacked out. That is pathetic for a town this size and as good of Vikings fans they claim to be.

Go Sioux!

7>5,

just out of curiousity, what do you consider a fair weather fan to be?

7>5,

just out of curiousity, what do you consider a fair weather fan to be?

..a fan that leaves the building before the game is over.

..a fan who only is a fan when their team wins.

..a fan who only goes to the game to drink as much beer as possible in three periods.

..a fan who bitches about his team the entire game when they're down.

There's more but I'm kinda tired.

..a fan that leaves the building before the game is over.

..a fan who only is a fan when their team wins.

..a fan who only goes to the game to drink as much beer as possible in three periods.

..a fan who bitches about his team the entire game when they're down.

There's more but I'm kinda tired.

That sums it up for me. I have seen these things more from Minnesota fans then any other teams. The Vikings to me are the prime example. But I would also say the Timberpuppies are another good one.

The Wild might be the exception to the MN rule.

But remember I lived in the Denver area. Where the Broncos have sold out every game since 1970, the longest streak in the NFL.

I lived in Colorado and in Minnesota. I have to say that Minnesota by a long shot has the most fair weathered fans in all of sports. I am not a fan of the Vikings but they had to have the TV stations bail them out how many times last year or there games would have been blacked out.

The answer is, "0". It's true a few games went down to the wire, but no TV station purchased tickets to avoid a blackout. More to the point I don't believe the Vikings have not sold out a game since at least 1997, despite that they play in a dump, had a ten-headed monster ownership at one time that demonstrated they didn't care to put a winning product on the field, repeatedly lost at home in the playoffs under Denny Green, and followed that up with the Mike Tice/Love Boat years with no playoff games at home.

Are MN fans more fairweather than Bucks or Brewers fans? Rangers fans? Tigers fans? Sabres fans? That list could go on and on. And your comment about CO being less fair-weather is interesting considering the Aves have won 3 Stanley Cups since they moved to Denver, the Broncos have had very few losing seasons and the Rockies have only been around about a decade. When those teams consistently suck and/or alienate the fans come talk to me about how their fans react attendance-wise.

Should the Wolves expect sellouts for the crap product they've put forth lately? Should the Gophers football team expect consistent sellouts when the team plays indoors, off campus and gets their *** handed to them on a Saturday afternoon when the weather is gorgeous outside? Let's face it - when you don't give the local base a good reason to spend hard earned money on a product, why is it considered fair-weathered to be discerning and spend your money elsewhere?

I am not saying that if Alaksa-Anchorage had a 18,000 seat arena they would have the highest attendance. All that I merely said was that its easier to have the highest attendance when you have a bigger arena. Thats just simple logic. If Mariucci was bigger, who knows maybe the Gophers would have a higher attendance then the Sioux. I stated above that the Kohl Center was 5,000+ bigger than Mariucci. My only question with the Kohl Center that I had was do they sell tickets for EVERY SEAT for the games. My example was the Sioux Women's team who sells General Admission tickets and only allows people in the lower bowl.

Yeah, they sell (or at least try to) every seat at the Kohl.

The answer is, "0". It's true a few games went down to the wire, but no TV station purchased tickets to avoid a blackout. More to the point I don't believe the Vikings have not sold out a game since at least 1997, despite that they play in a dump, had a ten-headed monster ownership at one time that demonstrated they didn't care to put a winning product on the field, repeatedly lost at home in the playoffs under Denny Green, and followed that up with the Mike Tice/Love Boat years with no playoff games at home.

Are MN fans more fairweather than Bucks or Brewers fans? Rangers fans? Tigers fans? Sabres fans? That list could go on and on. And your comment about CO being less fair-weather is interesting considering the Aves have won 3 Stanley Cups since they moved to Denver, the Broncos have had very few losing seasons and the Rockies have only been around about a decade. When those teams consistently suck and/or alienate the fans come talk to me about how their fans react attendance-wise.

Should the Wolves expect sellouts for the crap product they've put forth lately? Should the Gophers football team expect consistent sellouts when the team plays indoors, off campus and gets their *** handed to them on a Saturday afternoon when the weather is gorgeous outside? Let's face it - when you don't give the local base a good reason to spend hard earned money on a product, why is it considered fair-weathered to be discerning and spend your money elsewhere?

Ok I hate to tell people when they are wrong, but you are wrong. KMSP had to purchase at 1500 tickets last year for one of the Vikings games and I do believe that there was at least one other game where WCCO and Fox came together and purchased remaining tickets so the game would be shown. Then on at least on other occasion the NFL gave them a day extension to try and sell remaining tickets. I know this to be a fact. I was working in the media in the twin cities area at the time.

Yes other cities are bad too, but Denver is a great sports town for professional sports. But for college not as good. To your other point, there was a year when I lived in Denver the Broncos lost like 8 straight games and they still sold out every game. People were mad but they supported the team.

Ok I hate to tell people when they are wrong, but you are wrong. KMSP had to purchase at 1500 tickets last year for one of the Vikings games and I do believe that there was at least one other game where WCCO and Fox came together and purchased remaining tickets so the game would be shown. Then on at least on other occasion the NFL gave them a day extension to try and sell remaining tickets. I know this to be a fact. I was working in the media in the twin cities area at the time.

Yes other cities are bad too, but Denver is a great sports town for professional sports. But for college not as good. To your other point, there was a year when I lived in Denver the Broncos lost like 8 straight games and they still sold out every game. People were mad but they supported the team.

When you say the Bronco fans were mad I'm assuming they were complaining about their team, right?

When you say the Bronco fans were mad I'm assuming they were complaining about their team, right?

Yes but they were still showing up and suppoting. We had John Elway and wide receivers like Vance Johnson, Marc Jackson and others. While they were upset they were still supporting so I know where you are going and you are still wrong. Vikings fans are the worst in my opinion

Yes but they were still showing up and suppoting. We had John Elway and wide receivers like Vance Johnson, Marc Jackson and others. While they were upset they were still supporting so I know where you are going and you are still wrong. Vikings fans are the worst in my opinion

Remember you are the one who agreed with one of Sioux-cia's'descriptions of a fair weather fan ( a fan who bitches about their team when they are down) and you just stated that Bronco fans were complaining about their team. For the record, I do agree that Minnesota fans are fair weather but they are no different than any other fan base, in my opinion.

The Packers have sold out every home game since like 1967. The Packers also didn't make it back to the Super Bowl for 29 years in that time span. That's dedication to a team.

Your right you can't argue about their fans attending their home games but they bitch and complain about their team when things are not going well just like every other fan base. Go to a packer bar after several losses or listen to a fanline on the radio and its incredible with the negativity.

The Packers have sold out every home game since like 1967. The Packers also didn't make it back to the Super Bowl for 29 years in that time span. That's dedication to a team.

That's also not having anything else to do. Twin Cities sports fans are absolutely no different than any other metropolitan area.

Ok I hate to tell people when they are wrong, but you are wrong.

You are somewhat correct after a Google. It happened twice, once for 400 and the other for 1,000 tickets. That said they still sold nearly 62,000 tickets to fans to have the privilege of watching them play indoors against two really bad teams (Atlanta and Oakland). If selling 99% of available tickets in that circumstance makes MN fans fair-weather so be it. Although for a bit of perspective I offer the following:

http://www.minnpost.com/jayweiner/2007/11/...erest_is_waning

But, actually, it's mind-blowing how popular the team is statewide, in absolute and relative terms. Sunday's blackout is not about Vikings' sagging popularity.

TV ratings and share have been up this season over last, Steve Lacroix, Vikings sales and marketing vice president, told me recently. Among the 32 NFL markets, the Vikings ranked eighth, with about 63 percent of all TVs being watched on a Sunday turned to Vikings' games. By comparison, when the NHL Wild have a great night on TV, they get 8 percent of TV viewers.

For a typical Vikings game, more than 520,000 homes, or about 25 percent of all the households in the state, tune in.

What's happened here, Lacroix told me, is that "the hand that feeds us"

Lately?

Are you serious? The Wolves, as a franchise, has had ONE good year, and it turned out to be a fluke (Wow, that seems a lot like the Wild!). To put things in comparison, The Timberwolves became a franchise in 1989. In that time, The Twins have 1 World Championship (1991), at least 3 Division titles, 2 trips to the ALCS (Including 1991). Since 1989, the Vikings have had a brush with greatness in 1998. Since 1989, the Minnesota Gophers hockey team has won two NCs and I'm not sure how many broadmoors or McNaughtons. I'd even say that at least the Wild have had more winning records than the Timberwolves.

Sorry, but unless Minnesota Gopher basketball or football (of which I know very little) can one up the Timberwolves, I'd make the statement that the Timberwolves are the worst teams in Minnesota. For the number of years they've been around, they may even be the worst pro team in Minnesota sports history. If not, they certainly are among the worst.

That's also not having anything else to do. Twin Cities sports fans are absolutely no different than any other metropolitan area.

Bucky you need to get over that a little bit. SO what if there is more to do. There is also 30 times the people in Minneapolis then GF and Green Bay. So look at the attendance on a per capity basis. Minneapolis has around 3 million people and Grand Forks and surrounding area has around 96K. So take it from that perspective!

Bucky you need to get over that a little bit. SO what if there is more to do. There is also 30 times the people in Minneapolis then GF and Green Bay. So look at the attendance on a per capity basis. Minneapolis has around 3 million people and Grand Forks and surrounding area has around 96K. So take it from that perspective!

To buckysieve and others like you, this "there's nothing to do in (insert any city in ND, SD, WI, IA, northern MN here)":

I live in Grand Forks. I attend, on average, 1 viking game, 2 twins games, 1 wild game per year. In addition to that, I attend all UND home hockey and football games, a few road games as well. I attend concerts in GF or Fargo, visit the bar occasionally for a few brews, hit up a local restaurant when I can, take in a movie, grill on my deck, golf several area courses, and visit the lake as much as I can in the summer, head to Winnipeg 1 time a year. I believe people living in GF, Fargo, Green Bay, etc have it way better than you in the twin cities... sure, I have to drive 4.5 hours to go to a game, but that absolutely beats dealing with 1-2 hours round trip of traffic per day just to get to work, as well as a myriad of other reasons. Some of you idiots in the twin cities metro have this superiority complex, when in reality, we in these "hickville" cities enjoy all of the same things YOU do. Remember, I live in ND because i CHOSE to. How many of you folks in the metro area live there because you HAVE to. (in other words, you are there because you found a job easier, you get paid more, etc, when you would love to move back to your hometown such as GF or Fargo, etc)

End rant.