UND - Best Attendance in the nation

OETKB

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not yet posted on the "News" board, so here is a link to the Herald:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...;section=Sports

I'm continually amazed that a city the size of Grand Forks keeps up this kind of support. But then, Grand Forks has been doing things "bigger than its britches" since the 1880's.

Maybe we should play the Bison in hockey next year at the Metrodome! :)

Way to go North Dakota, Grand Forks, and UND in particular. I wish I could get back more this coming year to ensure we keep the top spot.

UND drew more fans for its exhibition against Manitoba (11,007) than six college hockey programs did for the entire season. If UND’s attendance were cut exactly in half, it still would have ranked sixth in the nation.
These two sentences are amazing. They also point out just how disparate is the college hockey universe.

These two sentences are amazing. They also point out just how disparate is the college hockey universe.

I don't fine it that hard to believe out east in the lesser hockey conferences like the AHA and the EZAC they don't draw like the WCHA or the CCHA. Notice how most of the teams on the list are in the WCHA. Hum... I guess the Eastern teams play in neutral sites during their home games as well... :) Also, I think the size of the arenas in the WCHA give our team a great advantage over the other leagues.

This amazes me. UMtc has more than 4 times the population in the metro then ND does in the entire state and UND draws more in attendence. Way to go UND, proving once again who really has the best fans in the country.

This amazes me. UMtc has more than 4 times the population in the metro then ND does in the entire state and UND draws more in attendence. Way to go UND, proving once again who really has the best fans in the country.

Not to piss in everyone's kool-aid, but it might also have something to do with the fact that REA has more seats than the John. :)

Still great job GF and eastern ND in supporting the Fighting Sioux!!

Not to piss in everyone's kool-aid, but it might also have something to do with the fact that REA has more seats than the John. :)

The Kohl Center can seat about 2000+ more than the Ralph per game, and somehow UND won that comparison this year.

It also is due to Minnesota's lack of vision when the built the new Mari.

It's because: "we don't have anything better to do!" :)

There's actually some truth to that. We have four professional sports teams and a Big Ten school all in the same city. The fan base gets spread around as opposed to cities like Green Bay or Grand Forks where there is one team who clearly is the top dog.

And there was no "lack of vision" when building the new Mariucci. It's a perfect hockey arena with the best sightlines of any arena I've ever been in. I'm glad it's the size it is.

When we went to see the Fighting Sioux play in Anchorage, I bet that arena wasn't 50% full. And, I wonder, what else is there to do in Anchorage in November?? Watch the moose come into town and graze across the street from you hotel?

There's actually some truth to that. We have four professional sports teams and a Big Ten school all in the same city. The fan base gets spread around as opposed to cities like Green Bay or Grand Forks where there is one team who clearly is the top dog.

And there was no "lack of vision" when building the new Mariucci. It's a perfect hockey arena with the best sightlines of any arena I've ever been in. I'm glad it's the size it is.

Not gonna bite on this one...you can talk all you want about the reasons you cited, some are factors, some are not. The attendance record is nice, but what makes me so proud to be a UND fan, a Grand Forks native, etc, is the passion that our fanbase has. Like the article says, Chay Genoway basically challenges you to find a better fanbase, folks...it just won't happen.

God Bless the Fighting Sioux!

When we went to see the Fighting Sioux play in Anchorage, I bet that arena wasn't 50% full. And, I wonder, what else is there to do in Anchorage in November?? Watch the moose come into town and graze across the street from you hotel?

I don't think the arena was even close to 50% capacity. Remember how it echoed after the seat was pounded on? Thats the sign of an empty erena.

Yeah no doubt. I could have something to do with UAA being a horrible team and finishing dead last for three years in a row.

Because Anchorage is a pretty big sized city.

Yeah no doubt. I could have something to do with UAA being a horrible team and finishing dead last for three years in a row.

Because Anchorage is a pretty big sized city.

I guess that's why we're the best fans' in college hockey. Win or lose, we're there.

I am a Sioux Fan and i do think we have great fans, but almost every game i go to at the ralph i notice that it gets so quite in our building that you can hear a pin drop often. The only time the crowd is into the game is when there is a hit or we score. What is up with that?

I'll bite.

Umm... The comparison is very valid. Why? UMN's men's and women's hockey teams are the ONLY teams in Minneapolis that play at a high level (DI or pro) that has actually won ANYTHING meaningful since 1991.

When you wake up living in a city whose pro teams have sucked or, at best, been mediocre, for 17 years, you tend to yearn for a winning program. I would have thought Gopher hockey provided that for MSP residents.

I'll bite.

Umm... The comparison is very valid. Why? UMN's men's and women's hockey teams are the ONLY teams in Minneapolis that play at a high level (DI or pro) that has actually won ANYTHING meaningful since 1991.

When you wake up living in a city whose pro teams have sucked or, at best, been mediocre, for 17 years, you tend to yearn for a winning program. I would have thought Gopher hockey provided that for MSP residents.

You said what I was thinking...so now I will bite a bit also. I attend all UND football games and also basketball occasionally. I go to as many vikings, wild and twins games as my friends who live in the cities area. The only way you could attend more of those pro games is if you are in the upper income brackets. Also, I am very apathetic about pro sports in general. Here we go again...

Anyone know where we can find the attendance numbers for the rest of the schools in the country? I'm having trouble finding anything on it other than the Herald release.

I didn't look it up but the Herald release cites the information as coming from the NCAA. You can check their web site for the numbers.