SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

I personally disgusted to see some of the posts by so called Sioux fans on here. Does anyone have a clue how tough it has been to schedule games as a transition team. True Sioux fans just need to hang in there one more year till we are done with transition. Everything is going to be fine. It sounds like a lot of these posters don't even go to games very often anyway. Frankly, the posters who are writing in and saying that they are done supporting Sioux football are embarrassing to our fan base. We really don't need them anyway. I really don't think they are trully Sioux fans anyway. I think they should find a different team to support because their kind of support isn't needed.

The bottom line decision is financial. Fewer people showed up for Northwestern St than for Northeastern St. The attendance for Lamar was worse than either of those two. Bringing in a no-name FCS schools with few scholarships would cost us $125 k each (at least). Bringing in the regional NAIAs may have cost as little as $25 k and add's W's.

Save the alms to the St Francis of Assisi's, the Wagners, and the St Teresa's of the FCS until we need those wins to qualify for the playoffs.

If this is such an embarrassment, that should prompt the football boosters to take out their checkbook.

That said, a massive state-wide advertising campaign and season ticket drive needs to happen in the summer of '12 for the inaugural Big Sky season with a true FCS schedule.

Couldn't agree more. On all counts.

Those wondering how "gene taylor gets all those teams" haven't been paying attention to the AC's annual struggle to fill two home FCS OOC games, the cost and the quality of opponents available at a single-game price of $100k +.

I personally disgusted to see some of the posts by so called Sioux fans on here. Does anyone have a clue how tough it has been to schedule games as a transition team. True Sioux fans just need to hang in there one more year till we are done with transition. Everything is going to be fine. It sounds like a lot of these posters don't even go to games very often anyway. Frankly, the posters who are writing in and saying that they are done supporting Sioux football are embarrassing to our fan base. We really don't need them anyway. I really don't think they are trully Sioux fans anyway. I think they should find a different team to support because their kind of support isn't needed.

I understand how difficult it is to schedule games as a transition team, but to this point we've done a worse job than any of the other three Dakota schools. I also question how the athletic department decided to roll this out. If I were Faison I would have been very apologetic at the announcement and explained to our fans how nearly every measure was taken to get a full Division I schedule. I also would not have announced it this early as I would have waited as long as possible in hopes of finding replacement games for some of these home games.

The boastful claims about having the football schedule completed at the Big Sky announcement and the satisfaction he expressed today over having six home games just seems like a guy is out of touch and really doesn't understand what this program and the Division I move was all about.

Another criticism I have of Faison is right now we don't have any FBS games scheduled after 2012. This hurts recruiting as most other FCS schools have FBS games lined up that they can sell recruits on and for the most part we don't have those right now. Plus, the regional FBS game that would generate the most interest (Minnesota) is probably out of the question until the 2017 season now since Minnesota has at least one FCS game schedule every season leading up to that. This is unfortunately giving me the impression that the guy just isn't working that hard.

According to you, the Fighting Sioux name was embarrassing and unacceptable, so you are used to those feelings associated with UND athletics.

At least a team named Fighting Sioux didn't have to endure this schedule. ;)

The entire name ordeal is behind us now, so can we please move on? I see no reason to bicker about who had what position. Nothing any of us did made any difference nor could it. For the good of UND athletics and the University overall, let's just try and heal the wounds.

Couldn't agree more. On all counts.

Those wondering how "gene taylor gets all those teams" haven't been paying attention to the AC's annual struggle to fill two home FCS OOC games, the cost and the quality of opponents available at a single-game price of $100k +.

Don't see any $100k plus guarantee games on these schedules(final transition years for both NDSU and SDSU)....

NDSU's 2007 schedule...

9/8 vs SFA

9/15 vs SHSU

9/22 @ Central Michigan

9/29 @ Western Illinois

10/6 vs UCD

10/13 @ Mississippi Valley State

10/20 @ Minnesota

10/27 vs SUU

11/3 vs Illinois State

11/10 @ Cal Poly

11/17 @ SDSU

SDSU's 2007 schedule...

8/30 @Western Illinois

9/8 @YSU

9/15 vs UNI

9/22 vs Texas State

9/29 vs SFA

10/6 @ Georgia Southern

10/20 vs Cal Poly

10/27 @UCD

11/3 @Central Arkansas

11/10 vs SUU

11/17 vs NDSU

If I was a UND fan I'd want answers and I'd want them soon. I mean seriously SDSU had six full scholarship FCS schools at home in their final transition year.

What I don't get with your schedule is that right now is the optimal time to set yourself up for the future and get a good FCS home game or two for a future year so you can avoid the struggle we had initially in getting six home games when were playoff eligible.

Don't see any $100k plus guarantee games on these schedules(final transition years for both NDSU and SDSU)....

NDSU's 2007 schedule...

9/8 vs SFA

9/15 vs SHSU

9/22 @ Central Michigan

9/29 @ Western Illinois

10/6 vs UCD

10/20 @ Minnesota

10/27 vs SUU

11/3 vs Illinois State

11/10 @ Cal Poly

11/17 @ SDSU

SDSU's 2007 schedule...

8/30 @Western Illinois

9/8 @YSU

9/15 vs UNI

9/22 vs Texas State

9/29 vs SFA

10/6 @ Georgia Southern

10/20 vs Cal Poly

10/27 @UCD

11/3 @Central Arkansas

11/10 vs SUU

11/17 vs NDSU

If I was a UND fan I'd want answers and I'd want them soon. I mean seriously SDSU had six full scholarship FCS schools at home in their final transition year.

What I don't get with your schedule is that right now is the optimal time to set yourself up for the future and get a good FCS home game or two for a future year so you can avoid the struggle we had initially in getting six home games when were playoff eligible.

This would have been the perfect year to try and get home and homes with other FCS schools outside of the Big Sky by traveling to their place this season. Suffering through a season with only four home games would have been better than this.

I understand how difficult it is to schedule games as a transition team, but to this point we've done a worse job than any of the other three Dakota schools. I also question how the athletic department decided to roll this out. If I were Faison I would have been very apologetic at the announcement and explained to our fans how nearly every measure was taken to get a full Division I schedule. I also would not have announced it this early as I would have waited as long as possible in hopes of finding replacement games for some of these home games.

The boastful claims about having the football schedule completed at the Big Sky announcement and the satisfaction he expressed today over having six home games just seems like a guy is out of touch and really doesn't understand what this program and the Division I move was all about.

I agree with this post 100%. Everyone knew the transition would be difficult but I don't think most Sioux fans would have thought it would go as poorly as it's gone for football. Everything from the product on the field, to scheduling, to fan support/interest has gone south...way south. I understand that conference affiliation is also a huge hurdle and getting into the Big Sky is huge, but again, all the Dakota schools had to deal with these issues.

On Sept. 24, North Dakota will return home to take on the Black Hills State Yellow Jackets (DII transitional). The following week, the Sioux take to the road once again to open league play against the 2010 GWC champion Southern Utah Thunderbirds.

Before a mid-October bye week, the Fighting Sioux will make their return to the Alerus Center to knock helmets for the first time against the Montana Western Bulldogs (Frontier). On the other side of the break, the Sioux will return to conference play as they celebrate Homecoming 2011 against the Cal Poly Mustangs.

Following a trip to Greeley, Colo., on Oct. 29 to rekindle the series against former North Central Conference foe and future Big Sky opponent the Northern Colorado Bears, UND will seek home field redemption against the current four-time NAIA national champion Sioux Falls Cougars (DII transitional).

I had to chuckle reading the press release. I understand the need to market but seriously, trying to market these three games is a lost cause. Knocking helmets with a team from the Frontier conference, DII transitional, 4 time NAIA national champions...do they really think Sioux fans are going to get excited about these games?

Another criticism I have of Faison is right now we don't have any FBS games scheduled after 2012. This hurts recruiting as most other FCS schools have FBS games lined up that they can sell recruits on and for the most part we don't have those right now. Plus, the regional FBS game that would generate the most interest (Minnesota) is probably out of the question until the 2017 season now since Minnesota has at least one FCS game schedule every season leading up to that. This is unfortunately giving me the impression that the guy just isn't working that hard.

Right now, this may be a blessing. We aren't ready to compete with even Minnesota, or any of the regional FBS teams. While a win can do wonders for a program, a blowout loss can actually set us back. While NDSU and USD have beaten FCS teams Minnesota (twice), Kansas, etc... we probably would be on the short end of a large blowout. Remember, a 7-loss Idaho team beat us 45-0 this year. Wait until we're better, then play those games.

Agreed.

no checks will be made out from my check book and im going to make sure my credit card isnt going to be charged for a donation too!!!! facebook group almost started!!!

You know, the sad thing is when I read a post like this on any board......is that it is unfair to those kids. They were out there all season and working hard. They sure as hell did not want to loose those games and did their best to represent your university. Be pissed at your coaches (hell, I am still bitching about Vigen at NDSU), complain about your schedule, advocate for personnel changes in the administration. But why would you quit your school? It doesn't take that long to turn a program around when the right things happen. To me, a fan does not quit their supporting the school, and a fan always should realize that most of those kids that suffered through a tough season tried damn hard to bring home some wins.

• Upvote 1

WOW......that schedule is an embarassment.

4 NAIA schools?

I thought GT called Fiason after Georgia Southern backed out of our game in Sept. That would have been a great game in the FFD.

BS membership will solidify a FB schedule but for next year this schedule is a complet joke.

Bringing in Dickinson State, Montana Western, SF....will not help to boost the attendance.

If I were a Sue fan I would definitely be emailing Fiason and telling him this schedule is a complete joke.

I think everybody realizes that its hard. But if both NDSU and SDSU were able to do it....why shouldn't UND be able to do it. Thats where my dissappointment comes in.

Also it makes me even angrier that Fasion turned down a NDSU Home/Home every other year to give us a schedule with 3 NAIA teams on it.

I think Faison missed a big opportunity to play NDSU on Sept 10th. Pay Idaho the buyout and play NDSU. I think I remember this was no big money game anyway. Gene probably would have sweeten the pot. This game would have given Sioux fb a big shot in the arm and given UND fans some excitement. It might have been a small financial hit but in terms of marketing and promotion - priceless!

UND football needs all the fans it can get. Whether they are casual, hard core, or fairweather, with the current state of this program, they are all desparately needed.

NDSU's 2007 schedule...

9/8 vs SFA

9/15 vs SHSU

9/22 @ Central Michigan

9/29 @ Western Illinois

10/6 vs UCD

10/20 @ Minnesota

10/27 vs SUU

11/3 vs Illinois State

11/10 @ Cal Poly

11/17 @ SDSU

SDSU's 2007 schedule...

8/30 @Western Illinois

9/8 @YSU

9/15 vs UNI

9/22 vs Texas State

9/29 vs SFA

10/6 @ Georgia Southern

10/20 vs Cal Poly

10/27 @UCD

11/3 @Central Arkansas

11/10 vs SUU

11/17 vs NDSU

Yup. Definitely better looking schedules. I have no idea what NDSU was paying out for one-time opponents then (were they all home and home?) but the landscape's not the same for 2011 as it was for 2007, in terms of availability of OOC opponents. See Taylor's annual struggle filling in your schedule's two OOC games. What I DO see in the XDSU schedules for 2007 is lots of help from your future conference mates (3 games for SDSU; 2 games for you), the product, IIRC, of the Gateway's decision to drop Western Kentucky from the schedule one year early after Western notified the league it was jumping ship. No such option for UND next year.

Good point on using next year to go on the road and build in some home games for future schedules. Unfortunately, I suspect the same people whining about the weak schedule now would be complaining about the lack of home games under that scenario as well.

The schedule is what it is. It isn't going to change. This will be the last season with a schedule like this. Like some have mentioned, it is EXTREMELY hard to schedule "good" teams at home. I don't care what NDSU or SDSU did, that is in the past.

In the NCC days, which are idealized like crazy by some, our team still had laughers on the schedule. You can't tell me the teams UND will be playing this season are any worse than UMN-Crookston, Bemidji State, Moorhead State, etc.

For those of you saying how bad this schedule is for the student athletes, imagine how horrible it will be for them if YOU don't show up or if YOU stop donating.

Support the team.

I believe NDSU has paid a lot to bring in some of the weak teams they have played in non conference in Fargo. I think I read where they gave ST. Francis a lot of money to come to Fargo next year. Let's face it St. Francis only won 1 game last year and probably are one of the weakest teams in FCS. You also have to remember NDSU has been playoff elgible coming up on their 4th year and they are still bringing in some pretty weak teams. Getting decent home games in the non conference season is very tough. Just ask Gene Taylor. Considering UND is still in transition I just don't think Faison thinks it is worth it to spend the money NDSU does considering there is no chance for playoffs yet.

I've brought this up before, and this seems like a good time to do so again. Where the hell are all those long standing hockey relationships that the department has had over the years? Not one of those schools could throw another school in the hockey community a bone during the transition. What bulls**t.

• Upvote 1

over under on cetnral arkansas buying it out?

why cant fasion schedule a big time name again for more money? It not liek texas tech aboslutely blew us out by 70 points. Id hope he would schedule some big school like michigan state or notre dame:D jk

Doubt it. I believe the lesson was learned from the Idaho State debacle, i.e. the extremely low buyout the previous a.d. agreed to.

Yup. Definitely better looking schedules. I have no idea what NDSU was paying out for one-time opponents then (were they all home and home?) but the landscape's not the same for 2011 as it was for 2007, in terms of availability of OOC opponents. See Taylor's annual struggle filling in your schedule's two OOC games. What I DO see in the XDSU schedules for 2007 is lots of help from your future conference mates (3 games for SDSU; 2 games for you), the product, IIRC, of the Gateway's decision to drop Western Kentucky from the schedule one year early after Western notified the league it was jumping ship. No such option for UND next year.

Good point on using next year to go on the road and build in some home games for future schedules. Unfortunately, I suspect the same people whining about the weak schedule now would be complaining about the lack of home games under that scenario as well.

In 2007 they were all home and homes or FBS money games. In that year we did start home and homes with WIU and Illinois State(they were scheduled before joining the MVFC), we might have paid Illinois State a bit extra to come to Fargo first. We might have done the same for Sam Houston State but it was worth it to get those teams to Fargo. The best thing the XDSU's had working for them was their relationship with the Southland, that conference provided us with a ton of games. They have since expanded so I'm sure that cut into who Faison could schedule.

In 2007 they were all home and homes or FBS money games. In that year we did start home and homes with WIU and Illinois State(they were scheduled before joining the MVFC), we might have paid Illinois State a bit extra to come to Fargo first. We might have done the same for Sam Houston State but it was worth it to get those teams to Fargo. The best thing the XDSU's had working for them was their relationship with the Southland, that conference provided us with a ton of games. They have since expanded so I'm sure that cut into who Faison could schedule.

Seemed like we played the SL every season...until now.