SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

Care to tell me how Minnesota (any FBS teams) has gained anything by playing DIAA teams, aside from filling holes in their schedule?

Getting playing time for the second and third strings.

Getting a DI win that helps get them to a bowl game.

Gets them a home gate.

Sounds like 1 and 3 could be applied to UND playing a Division 2 school.

But 2 is the most important. Once we are playoff elgible we NEED to get to 7 wins vs. FCS or higher to even be considered for the playoffs. You can still accomplish 1 and 3 by scheduling a Valpo like team and accomplish 2 in the process.

I think the 2011 home schedule at USD is going to stink as well but 2012 for both schools are golden.

For 2012 you guys only have to make a few phone calls. 1) Get an FBS game. 2) Get a low/non schollie FCS school to come to GF. Drake, Valpo, who cares. Sure it will be a blowout but it counts towards the required D1 wins and offsets the probable FBS loss. 3) Call NDSU, when they won't sign call USD. I'm sure our AD would love to continue playing UND and something could be worked out. 4) The rest of your schedule is set with BSC games.

This is going to be so easy compared to what it used to be like.

Is it possible to continue the annual home/home USD/UND series. I think it is if the schools are willing to go 5 home games one year, 6 the next. Also, it would mean the Bison/Sioux series is over forever because there would not be room for both. I'd at least like to see USD/UND continue until something can be worked out with NDSU. I realize the resumption of the NDSU game is more important than the USD series. This is what stinks about us not all being in the same conference but I don't think these conference realignments are over forever.

Is it possible to continue the annual home/home USD/UND series. I think it is if the schools are willing to go 5 home games one year, 6 the next. Also, it would mean the Bison/Sioux series is over forever because there would not be room for both. I'd at least like to see USD/UND continue until something can be worked out with NDSU. I realize the resumption of the NDSU game is more important than the USD series. This is what stinks about us not all being in the same conference but I don't think these conference realignments are over forever.

Probably won't happen, but I would like to see us play 2 of the 3 schools each year.

1-Play NDSU and one of the SD schools

2-Play USD and one of the xDSU's

After the women's basketball game tonight (they got shelled)...Brian Faison said UND had 6 home football games next year. He didn't mention specific opponents. During a conference call last week with the Big Sky...they were discussing 9 vs 10 conference games (football). He had a discussion with Coach Mussman this morning...by his demeanor I believe Coach Mussman is safe for another season. 150 alumni showed up at the Sioux/Griz pre-party...all were happy to be in the Big Sky.

In other sports..UND will host the 2011 Great West Conference baseball championship tournament over Memorial Weekend. Oh...and no word on when construction will commence on a new outdoor stadium with retractable roof and heated leather seats.

;)

Interesting.

I noticed on last Sunday's "Sioux Extra" television broadcast that Mussman's appearance was uncharacteristically brief for an end-of-season wrap up, and then only in an interview recorded immediately after the SDSU game. Among other comments he said his staff was committed to building the team primarily with 4- and 5-year players, adding that "I hope we'll be able to continue" doing so. Wondered at that time whether that was an indication of his impending departure, as he obviously sounded like someone uncertain about his future.

But 2 is the most important. Once we are playoff elgible we NEED to get to 7 wins vs. FCS or higher to even be considered for the playoffs. You can still accomplish 1 and 3 by scheduling a Valpo like team and accomplish 2 in the process.

I know how FCS teams get into the playoffs thanks but it's not all that matters. Numberous FCS teams across the country schedule D2 teams. They must not have the attitude of holier than thou. :silly:

It's not just about the first to seven wins cause UND is again playing FBS teams. Winnable games yes but not likely. They wanted the money. They could have just scheduled a couple Valpo teams at the alerus and be two wins closer to 7.

So if you going to schedule two "almost automatic" losses. Not a big deal playing teams we have played for centuries.

Interesting.

I noticed on last Sunday's "Sioux Extra" television broadcast that Mussman's appearance was uncharacteristically brief for an end-of-season wrap up, and then only in an interview recorded immediately after the SDSU game. Among other comments he said his staff was committed to building the team primarily with 4- and 5-year players, adding that "I hope we'll be able to continue" doing so. Wondered at that time whether that was an indication of his impending departure, as he obviously sounded like someone uncertain about his future.

The staff, including Mussman, headed out on the recruiting trail.

Interesting.

A few key transfers would certainly help, but I don't think a program should rely on them in great numbers. For whatever reason, UND simply hasn't had much luck with transfers. There have been a handful of them over the years, but have any been impact players in the Alerus era other than Jared Enger and Travis Lueck? Not that I can recall. Generally speaking, the transfers UND has had haven't even developed into starters, let alone impact players.

• 2 weeks later...

Only one player so far? What the hell is going on?

Why as UND fans do we keep tolerating the incompetent coaches that are Muss and Jones......

I hope they prove me wrong. But I highly doubt it.

My questions also, but how can you recruit when you also have no schedule for the next season,Faison? Announcing the 2011 schedule about now during face time with recruits seems to me to be a factor that would help generate interest. Why we still have only 7 games, 3 at home and one of those NAIA, just turns my stomach! No newsor gossip about the program, nothing! I know that a lot of the kids want to filter their offers, but any information at all would help them feel the program is moving forward. I keep hearing how it is not getting late, well c'mon, these seniors will mostly commit by early Feb. and if 7 games does not excite me, it probably won't excite a kid checking out where he will spend his freshman year of college either!

My questions also, but how can you recruit when you also have no schedule for the next season,Faison? Announcing the 2011 schedule about now during face time with recruits seems to me to be a factor that would help generate interest. Why we still have only 7 games, 3 at home and one of those NAIA, just turns my stomach! No newsor gossip about the program, nothing! I know that a lot of the kids want to filter their offers, but any information at all would help them feel the program is moving forward. I keep hearing how it is not getting late, well c'mon, these seniors will mostly commit by early Feb. and if 7 games does not excite me, it probably won't excite a kid checking out where he will spend his freshman year of college either!

If i were the kid, I wouldn't really care, as I would be redshirting anyway.

Faison has stated publically twice that the schedule is done, it just hasn't been publically released. I'm sure the kids that the coaches are recruiting are being made aware of next seasons opponents, and also that this year's class, after redshirting, knows that they will be playing a Big Sky schedule.

More than one person on here has said that next years home schedule is not very exciting. There probably isn't a real urgency to announce it. After next year our home schedule is going to be exciting every year. Hang in there and don't be so quick to criticize. Sometimes I think certain posters only want to look at the negative. I hope everyone will get excited about the future and just hang in there till after next year.

Faison has stated publically twice that the schedule is done, it just hasn't been publically released. I'm sure the kids that the coaches are recruiting are being made aware of next seasons opponents, and also that this year's class, after redshirting, knows that they will be playing a Big Sky schedule.

So what's the big secret of not releasing it?

I'm hoping its because they are actively looking to replace a few of the home games.

I seem to recall Faison commenting about possibly adding a big sky team or two. I think it was between periods with Sweeney the weekend after the sky announcement. I also may have manufactured his memory.

I seem to recall Faison commenting about possibly adding a big sky team or two. I think it was between periods with Sweeney the weekend after the sky announcement. I also may have manufactured his memory.

During the 2nd intermission of the SCSU hockey game on Saturday, Pres. Kelley stated that he was good friends with the President of Portland State (if I remember correctly) and that they were working on getting the two schools together on the football field. I wondered if he meant they were maybe trying to work something out for next year because the following year we will be in the Big Sky and the presidents wouldn't need to be "working" on getting the teams playing.

I know that the Big Sky is going to try help UND get a few BSC games in basketball next year, I wonder if they maybe aren't trying to get a FB game worked out.

Petey23 brought this up in the recruiting thread, but UND will open the season against Drake, on the Thursday before Labor Day.

I think this is a great addition to the schedule. Early season games always do well from an attendance standpoint and next year's team is still going to be young and will be breaking in a new QB. It should be a big help to have a very winnable game like this before taking on the two FBS teams.

As far as the rest of the schedule, I'm not that worried about it. We know Cal Poly and USD will be coming to the Alerus, so that is at least two attractive games. And it's the last year of the transition and we just have to get through it while looking ahead to a much brighter future in the Big Sky. 2012 should feature a home schedule of SDSU, Central Arkansas, and four BSC schools (one of which will likely be Montana or Montana State). I can wait for that. ;)

New opponent for UND. Should be a good game. UND and Drake has never met.

Interesting if true about them on the schedule. They actually payed both Lehigh and Montana State respectably this season, but lost. Of course they also beat Valpo (the worst team in the Sagarin ratings) by only 2 pts.

Probably a good opener with regional interest. Awaiting the rest of the schedule.

Interesting if true about them on the schedule. They actually payed both Lehigh and Montana State respectably this season, but lost. Of course they also beat Valpo (the worst team in the Sagarin ratings) by only 2 pts.

Probably a good opener with regional interest. Awaiting the rest of the schedule.

I know this one is true. Also Cal Poly and USD. Sioux falls is still on the schedule as well and another NAIA. They are trying to get that one replaced and I don't know who the sixth game is against. If we could just add two FCS at home, even if we kept one NAIA the home schedule would be alright. The road schedule will be brutal with SUU and Davis. Add Idaho and Fresno St.