SiouxSports.com Forum

Thanks Osh!

WiSioux

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oshie Signs With Blues

"I have decided to pursue my dream of playing in the NHL next season with the St. Louis Blues organization," Oshie said in a statement. "This could not have become possible without the help of my fans, coaches, and teammates. Thanks to the fans who have stood behind me through the good and bad times. You are truly the best fans in college hockey.

"A special thanks to the coaching staff for teaching and guiding me to become the best hockey player and man I can be. Most of all I would like to thank my teammates. My success is directly related to our team success. You have become my lifelong friends and I would 'go to war' with you guys any day. I have had the time of my life at UND and am very proud to have worn the Sioux sweater and added to its tradition.

"I would also like to wish 'the boys' the best of luck next year! I'll be watching."

I'm gonna miss this kid!!!

could somebody maybe answer this question as to why this took so long, as it was known that oshie and the blues had been talking since the frozen four. why not sign and finish out the school year. same thing with chorney and finley? Duncan I can see as to fielding free agent offers. Crappy part is we might be in limbo in some of these players until july or august.

since my car broke down on my way home from GF, do you think oshie would mind using his signing bonus to buy me a new one? LOL...KIDDING!

seriously though, i knew this was coming, but it still sucks. It definitely won't be the same without him next year. But, I wish him the best of luck. It's been quite the ride.

could somebody maybe answer this question as to why this took so long, as it was known that oshie and the blues had been talking since the frozen four. why not sign and finish out the school year. same thing with chorney and finley? Duncan I can see as to fielding free agent offers. Crappy part is we might be in limbo in some of these players until july or august.

It's all about spending some quality time with the guys you've gone to war with for the past three seasons.

But I will educate you:

First off, both the St. Louis Blues and the Peoria Rivermen were out of playoff contention in the NHL and AHL. With that said, there is no need to push the envelope. Most guys that leave right after their season are part of a NHL team that is still in the regular season or playoff contention. With UND going to the Frozen Four the last four years, it makes it tough to get that "cup of coffee" in the NHL before the end of the regular season.

I hope that clears it up.

On top of that, Oshie finished his academic portion of being a student/athlete at UND, and had a chance to relish in his memories of his Fighting Sioux career.

Just like staying this past year, as Oshie did, defines loyalty to the University, the Athletic Department, the Fighting Sioux name and to the fans of this great community. UND molds tradition, honor and dignity in these young student athletes. Oshie had that before he came here to UND but just personnified it again like he did in Warroad staying his senior year when then Warriors head coach, Cary Eades, transferred to UND. At that point, most kids would have bolted to the USHL but Oshie and his senior teammates made a pact very similar to Oshie, Duncan, Chorney and Finley's of this past year.

So, to answer your question, Oshie wanted to make the final month of his collegiate career be memorable, unified and one to never forget. That is why he stayed. To create memories for the rest of his life.

Great post. TJ's Dad and family have a lot to be proud of.

TJ was one of the very best college hockey players I have seen in the 37 years I have watched college hockey. He was a complete player and was a great team player with superb individual skills. He was unselfish and created plays when there were none. He will be an excellent NHL player.

When a player chooses to leave is really between the player, the coaches, his teamates and his family. I would guess they all had a pretty good idea what was going on. The public has learned in due time. We have an excellent group of recruits coming in. The Blues got a hell of a player.

The timing of all of this is irrelevant to us as fans. Best of luck to TJ and his family.

First of all Thank you T J OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHIE!!! Thanks for all the memories! Siouxsweet please take your gloomy outlooks and dread to GPL! Just enjoy watching the Sioux play, and if they dont win the game... big deal, you got to watch a Hockey game. Those Freshman might suprise you and just think of our team in a couple years from now!! But yet I cant wait for next year! :)

First of all Thank you T J OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHIE!!! Thanks for all the memories! Siouxsweet please take your gloomy outlooks and dread to GPL! Just enjoy watching the Sioux play, and if they dont win the game... big deal, you got to watch a Hockey game. Those Freshman might suprise you and just think of our team in a couple years from now!! But yet I cant wait for next year! :)

This is a public forum and I can have what ever opinions I want, if I hurt your feelings I'm sorry. But just because I am a fan of the Sioux doesn't mean I have to look at everything through rose colored glasses. To me the success of a team is based on championships won not how many players we have come in play and leave early without ever winning a damn thing whether it be a conference championship or a national championship.

I will truly miss this kid. He is what Sioux Hockey is all about. Not once did I ever see TJ Oshie give up on a shift. They just don't make kids like this every day. After each shift he could barley skate off the ice and I am almost certain that is how he wants to be remembered. As we all know Sioux hockey is not what it is today because of high-end talent that we have had over the years. Sioux Hockey is about never-ending forechecking, incredible work ethic and a "Team First" mentality. That foundation was laid down years ago with those teams in the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. He was a leader, with a boat-load of talent, but talent is not what got him to where he is with his abilities today. The kid just flat out-worked every battle with his relentless work ethic. He has a warrior mentality and a heart of a lion that I have never, ever seen in a hockey player at any level.....not to mention always recognizing that he was playing for the team and not himself. We should all feel extremley lucky to have watched him play the last 3 years. Good luck TJ. You deserve it!

So, to answer your question, Oshie wanted to make the final month of his collegiate career be memorable, unified and one to never forget. That is why he stayed. To create memories for the rest of his life.

And he gave us, as fans of the Sioux, many wonderful memories to look back on.

Thanks TJ. I wish you well in your new career.